NATION

PASSWORD

Christianity, not Paulinism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:16 pm

Robert Magoo wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:My point is that applying the term "Christianity" to the specific set of beliefs he dealt with is inaccurate. It wasn't Christianity; it was merely called (incorrectly) Christianity.

What makes it incorrect, other than your insistent, baseless statements?

The fact that they reject the essence of Christness in the real world while I embrace it, even if I haven't fully achieved it myself.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:16 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:
There is no name more descriptive of what I believe, or less descriptive of what the Paulinists believe.

It's like if there were millennia of inertia behind me calling myself the Emperor of China, but then someone else came along who actually was the Emperor of China, he'd have a greater entitlement to that term.

...No. If you were calling yourself Emperor of China for millions of years, you are the Emperor of China. Obviously.

Millenia = thousand.

;)
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Robert Magoo
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Magoo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Robert Magoo wrote:What makes it incorrect, other than your insistent, baseless statements?

The fact that they reject the essence of Christness in the real world while I embrace it, even if I haven't fully achieved it myself.

To define "Christness" any differently from how Jesus Christ himself defined it (following Him and doing His will) is illogical and makes absolutely no sense.
Economic Left/Right: 3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Moral Compass- Rationalist (Q1): 8,9.9

Build up your wealth and give it away, but don't let the state take it. Help those in need and love your neighbor as yourself.

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Aesthetica wrote:No, we can say that there is NO reliable contemporary evidence the man ever lived, we can't PROVE he didn't live, but you can't prove he did either.

Well, there's plenty of evidence--just not direct, and it's not conclusive. It establishes a probability (which I would put fairly high) that he did exist, and that's about the best you can do. Certainly, you can't say that he definitely did (or did not) exist.

You claim there is reliable contemporary evidence, share it...
Atheist and Proud - Godless and Loud
You don't pray in our schools - We won't think in your churches
The Realm of Forgotten Gods

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Keronians wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:
There is no name more descriptive of what I believe, or less descriptive of what the Paulinists believe.

It's like if there were millennia of inertia behind me calling myself the Emperor of China, but then someone else came along who actually was the Emperor of China, he'd have a greater entitlement to that term.

Not really, since you've effectively taken over his throne.

Even if I weren't actually ruling over China, but had just started calling myself that for no particular reason at all and was able to convince others to call me that too?
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:18 pm

Robert Magoo wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:

To define "Christness" any differently from how Jesus Christ himself defined it (following Him and doing His will) is illogical and makes absolutely no sense.

Only if you first accept that Jesus was indeed the Christ, rather than simply an imperfect manifestation of it.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Keronians wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:
...No. If you were calling yourself Emperor of China for millions of years, you are the Emperor of China. Obviously.

Millenia = thousand.

;)

Damn it Kero. Stop being smarter than me.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Keronians wrote:

Even if I weren't actually ruling over China, but had just started calling myself that for no particular reason at all and was able to convince others to call me that too?

...You'd be actually ruling over China.

Goodbye.

Siriant
Secretary

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Siriant » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Lessnt wrote:Who is Paul?
I know a Paul.
But is it the same Paul?

Paul one of the biggest missionaries of Christianity, used to be a sinful man named, Saul, allegedly God spoke to him, told him to change his ways and he renamed himself Paul.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Siriant wrote:
Lessnt wrote:Who is Paul?
I know a Paul.
But is it the same Paul?

Paul one of the biggest missionaries of Christianity, used to be a sinful man named, Saul, allegedly God spoke to him, told him to change his ways and he renamed himself Paul.

And, based on the knowledge that God thinks "P" is a good letter, Spider-Man is the second coming of Christ.

Goodbye.

Robert Magoo
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Magoo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Robert Magoo wrote:To define "Christness" any differently from how Jesus Christ himself defined it (following Him and doing His will) is illogical and makes absolutely no sense.

Only if you first accept that Jesus was indeed the Christ, rather than simply an imperfect manifestation of it.

If Jesus wasn't who He said He was, there's no basis for even believing in the concept of Christ or "Christness."

Why don't you just call yourself a humanist? Your beliefs seem pretty indistinguishable from humanism. Why do you need a different term?
Last edited by Robert Magoo on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Moral Compass- Rationalist (Q1): 8,9.9

Build up your wealth and give it away, but don't let the state take it. Help those in need and love your neighbor as yourself.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Keronians wrote:

Yes, because of the bold.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Keronians wrote:

If you were actually ruling over Tibet, which you had incorrectly labeled as China and you managed to convince everyone else that this was China, you would still be ruling over "China".

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Dakini wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:

If you were actually ruling over Tibet, which you had incorrectly labeled as China and you managed to convince everyone else that this was China, you would still be ruling over "China".

Let's say I wasn't ruling over anyone. Let's say I just woke up one morning and said, "Hey, it'd be really cool if y'all would call me 'Emperor of China.' No reason why, and you don't have to, but it'd just be cool to hear people addressing me that way," and then everyone just went along with it because it wasn't hurting them any. Nothing actually changes in terms of relationships, just what people call me changes.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Dakini wrote:If you were actually ruling over Tibet, which you had incorrectly labeled as China and you managed to convince everyone else that this was China, you would still be ruling over "China".

Let's say I wasn't ruling over anyone. Let's say I just woke up one morning and said, "Hey, it'd be really cool if y'all would call me 'Emperor of China.' No reason why, and you don't have to, but it'd just be cool to hear people addressing me that way," and then everyone just went along with it because it wasn't hurting them any. Nothing actually changes in terms of relationships, just what people call me changes.

...You are the Emperor of China. Congratulations.

Goodbye.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Dakini wrote:If you were actually ruling over Tibet, which you had incorrectly labeled as China and you managed to convince everyone else that this was China, you would still be ruling over "China".

And how does it compare with "Paulinism" where relationships DID change?
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:24 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:Let's say I wasn't ruling over anyone. Let's say I just woke up one morning and said, "Hey, it'd be really cool if y'all would call me 'Emperor of China.' No reason why, and you don't have to, but it'd just be cool to hear people addressing me that way," and then everyone just went along with it because it wasn't hurting them any. Nothing actually changes in terms of relationships, just what people call me changes.

Language is a funny thing.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:

Then you've broken your analogy.
Last edited by Dakini on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lessnt
Senator

Founded: Jul 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lessnt » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Kero needs more jesus in his life.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Aesthetica wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:
Well, there's plenty of evidence--just not direct, and it's not conclusive. It establishes a probability (which I would put fairly high) that he did exist, and that's about the best you can do. Certainly, you can't say that he definitely did (or did not) exist.

To my knowledge, there isn't any contemporary evidence that survives. Just like, to my knowledge, there isn't any of Alexander. Which is why I said that the evidence is "not direct," and that it merely "establishes a probability" of his existence rather than saying "he definitely did...exist."

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Aesthetica wrote:

To my knowledge, there isn't any contemporary evidence that survives. Just like, to my knowledge, there isn't any of Alexander. Which is why I said that the evidence is "not direct," and that it merely "establishes a probability" of his existence rather than saying "he definitely did...exist."

Yep, there's obviously only written evidence. We'll ignore the cities founded by Alexander, the statues, mosaics and coins minted bearing his image during his lifetime. No contemporary evidence here.
Last edited by Dakini on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Obviously archaeological records are a different matter.

It's easy for me with my (in progress) education to forget the immense value archaeological research can add, especially to our knowledge of ancient history (which is definitely NOT my field).
Last edited by Bluth Corporation on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:Obviously archaeological records are a different matter.

Yep. Isn't it unfortunate that none exist for Jesus to go along with the absence of contemporary historians reporting on him too making claims equating the historicity of Alexander with the historicity of Jesus somewhat silly?

Not to mention the references and snippets from the contemporary sources on Alexander that did survive.
Last edited by Dakini on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 pm

Dakini wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:Obviously archaeological records are a different matter.

Yep. Isn't it unfortunate that none exist for Jesus to go along with the absence of contemporary historians reporting on him too?

Indeed it is. You'll note I said above:
Me, earlier in this thread wrote:It's just that in the case of Alexander, the indirect/secondhand/thirdhand/etc. evidence to establish his historicity pushes the probability much closer to 100% than in the case of, say, Jesus.

"Archaeological evidence" should of course be added to that list.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:43 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Dakini wrote:Yep. Isn't it unfortunate that none exist for Jesus to go along with the absence of contemporary historians reporting on him too?

Indeed it is. You'll note I said above:
Me, earlier in this thread wrote:It's just that in the case of Alexander, the indirect/secondhand/thirdhand/etc. evidence to establish his historicity pushes the probability much closer to 100% than in the case of, say, Jesus.

"Archaeological evidence" should of course be added to that list.

Yes, which is what makes Mount Shavano's initial claim about the historicity of Jesus and the historicity of Alexander the Great being the same rather silly, don't you think?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General