NATION

PASSWORD

Christianity, not Paulinism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Dakini wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:
Indeed it is. You'll note I said above:

"Archaeological evidence" should of course be added to that list.

Yes, which is what makes Mount Shavano's initial claim about the historicity of Jesus and the historicity of Alexander the Great being the same rather silly, don't you think?

Depends on how you interpret it, I suppose.

Quantitatively, they're not that comparable. Qualitatively, they are. You'll notice that the main thrust of Aesthetica's response to Mount Shavano (at least, as it seemed to me) indicated that there was an abundance of firsthand historical evidence that survives to the present, which there simply isn't.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:47 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Aesthetica wrote:
You claim there is reliable contemporary evidence, share it...

To my knowledge, there isn't any contemporary evidence that survives. Just like, to my knowledge, there isn't any of Alexander. Which is why I said that the evidence is "not direct," and that it merely "establishes a probability" of his existence rather than saying "he definitely did...exist."

So whats this indirect evidence, remembering of course that all Paulianty (translation for non Blutherites Christianity) based literature is off limits as its part of the cults propaganda, what independant indirect evidence is there for a jesus
Atheist and Proud - Godless and Loud
You don't pray in our schools - We won't think in your churches
The Realm of Forgotten Gods

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Dakini wrote:Yes, which is what makes Mount Shavano's initial claim about the historicity of Jesus and the historicity of Alexander the Great being the same rather silly, don't you think?

Depends on how you interpret it, I suppose.

Quantitatively, they're not that comparable. Qualitatively, they are. You'll notice that the main thrust of Aesthetica's response to Mount Shavano (at least, as it seemed to me) indicated that there was an abundance of firsthand historical evidence that survives to the present, which there simply isn't.

That's because I'm not an Ivory Tower Pseudo-Intellectual in training, and thus did NOT forget such minor matters as Archaeological evidence as it is also historical... :palm:
Last edited by Aesthetica on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:53 pm

So far, a majority of this thread has been semantics.

This is also a problem with the world's major religions.

Look at this thread, multiple people disagreeing with each other; all claiming to have the universal truth.

The amount of contradicting "evidence" and arguments is furstrating beyond words.

Who am I to believe?
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Volnotova wrote:So far, a majority of this thread has been semantics.

Look at this thread, multiple people disagreeing with each other; all claiming to have the universal truth.

The amount of contradicting "evidence" and arguments is furstrating beyond words.

Who am I to believe?

Me. I am God. Bow before me.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Who am I to believe?

There is no "universal truth", so follow the facts, it's as close as you'll get

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Aesthetica wrote:
There is no "universal truth", so follow the facts, it's as close as you'll get

And that's the universal truth, undoubtedly.
Last edited by The Irish Marchlands on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For RP purposes my nation has 16 million people.
Militarily, the standing military forces amount to a 10th of the population, 1,600,000 with a substantial amount of the civilian population trained due to an Opt Out national service and a Jingoistic national attitude.

The Irish Marchlands Factbook
Wars
War of Lebourean Liberation - Result: Co-alition victory, regime change, end to genocide, religious freedom guaranteed for all the people of Leboure
Seal

Economic Left/Right: 0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.49
Le political test: http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graphic2/169329_eng.jpg
Just call me Mr. Righty McRightright

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:03 pm

Who am I to believe?

I don't think that everyone is disagreeing with each other on the point that Bluth is trying to redefine Christianity. Everyone agrees on this point except Bluth, it seems.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Dakini wrote:

Who am I to believe?

I don't think that everyone is disagreeing with each other on the point that Bluth is trying to redefine Christianity. Everyone agrees on this point except Bluth, it seems.

That was not the only thing I was referring to.

I am talking about this thread in its entirety, the fact that almost everyone is contradicting each other on various grounds.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Dakini wrote:

Who am I to believe?

Yeah well, as brands go, he must think that Christianity would sell better than Bluthianity...

Marketing is important to these religious types, how else do you get converts from your rival brands...

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Volnotova wrote:That was not the only thing I was referring to.

I am talking about this thread in its entirety, the fact that almost everyone is contradicting each other on various grounds.

Well yeah, that's the point...

Some guy, wants you to believe his belief, pray the way he says, so he comes in and says "blah blah blah proves my god is true bow to him and tithe to my temple", then I say "ah but blah blah blah doesn't prove your god is true, because blah blah blah", they, and this is the exciting part...

YOU get to compare my stuff with his stuff, check the links etc. and then...

YOU get to decide if you are going to pray the way he says and tithe to his temple...

Isn't that exciting...
Last edited by Aesthetica on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Volnotova wrote:
Dakini wrote:I don't think that everyone is disagreeing with each other on the point that Bluth is trying to redefine Christianity. Everyone agrees on this point except Bluth, it seems.

That was not the only thing I was referring to.

Well, that's NSG in a nutshell really. Or really, the world in general. The problem of religion and atheism and absolutely everything that both entail are divisive, precisely because it is in the nature of both to take committed stands and opinions on viewpoints on virtually everything. To the point where even semantics are incredibly serious business (the argument of what exactly being 'Atheist' means for example and why there are so many different perceptions on it is a result of its basic premise that there is no God, it is the same for religions obviously with the original question of God being taken to a different degree) and even amongst Agnosticism there is no widely accepted determining definition. This can of course lead to the 'No Truth' fallacy, where there is no Truth, which is of course, a supposed Truth in itself.

This is the circle jerk. Welcome.
Last edited by The Irish Marchlands on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Militarily, the standing military forces amount to a 10th of the population, 1,600,000 with a substantial amount of the civilian population trained due to an Opt Out national service and a Jingoistic national attitude.

Wars
War of Lebourean Liberation - Result: Co-alition victory, regime change, end to genocide, religious freedom guaranteed for all the people of Leboure
Seal

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:21 pm

The Irish Marchlands wrote:This can of course lead to the 'No Truth' fallacy, where there is no Truth, which is of course, a supposed Truth in itself.

Nah, it's just a fact, no fancy capital letters and attached abstracts, nothing you can earn a Doctorate for at a university...

:twisted:

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Aesthetica wrote:
The Irish Marchlands wrote:This can of course lead to the 'No Truth' fallacy, where there is no Truth, which is of course, a supposed Truth in itself.

Nah, it's just a fact, no fancy capital letters and attached abstracts, nothing you can earn a Doctorate for at a university...

You'd be surprised

Wars
Seal

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:28 pm

The Irish Marchlands wrote:
Aesthetica wrote:

You'd be surprised

Heh, if you don't add those fancy capitals to poor unsuspecting verbs and common nouns, to "assimilate" them into the "Abstract Collective" and add them to the corpus of "Learning" and "Wisdom", then theres no Phd waiting for you... :twisted:

The Anti-Cosmic Gods
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anti-Cosmic Gods » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm of the disposition that Jesus never existed, so you'll get no argument's from me. Christianity is one of many lies the demiurge has constructed to obscure the truth.
Last edited by The Anti-Cosmic Gods on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Irish Marchlands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish Marchlands » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Aesthetica wrote:
The Irish Marchlands wrote:You'd be surprised

Heh, if you don't add those fancy capitals to poor unsuspecting verbs and common nouns, to "assimilate" them into the "Abstract Collective" and add them to the corpus of "Learning" and "Wisdom", then theres no Phd waiting for you... :twisted:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I say semantics are serious business.

Wars
Seal

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Lessnt wrote:Who is Paul?
I know a Paul.
But is it the same Paul?

St. Paul.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Halgrond
Attaché

Founded: Oct 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Halgrond » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:58 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:That term belongs to the people who believe that Jesus was a messiah.

I disagree.

Than how do you explain this? The word Christ comes frome the Greek word Christós which means messiah.
Also, bonobos.
And also chipmunks.
And also penguins.
Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=147965
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Do you think there is One True God Particle, or do you think there is a pantheon of god particles out there? And if the latter, do you think the God Particle of Thunder has a tiny little hammer?

Halgrond
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Halgrond » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:03 am

Vestr-Norig wrote:Are you saying that Jesus, the son of God, and God himself, never existed? If so, you cannot call yourself a Christian, as being a Christian implies the believe in the Trinity; God, his son and the Holy Spirit.

The Trinity is incompatible with Christianity. God is only one person, not three. Jesus is only God in that he is a manifestation of who God is in human form.
Last edited by Halgrond on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Also, bonobos.
And also chipmunks.
And also penguins.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Do you think there is One True God Particle, or do you think there is a pantheon of god particles out there? And if the latter, do you think the God Particle of Thunder has a tiny little hammer?

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:06 am

Halgrond wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:I disagree.

Than how do you explain this? The word Christ comes frome the Greek word Christós which means messiah.

Indeed. So there's no reason to assume the messiah necessarily has to be Jesus personally, unlike Nationstatelandsville argued.
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Halgrond
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Halgrond » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:18 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Halgrond wrote:Than how do you explain this? The word Christ comes frome the Greek word Christós which means messiah.

Indeed. So there's no reason to assume the messiah necessarily has to be Jesus personally, unlike Nationstatelandsville argued.

The messiah is a Jewish concept. I thought you said that Judaism does not belong in Christianity.
Bluth Corporation wrote:Similarly, the Old Testament is not relevant to Christianity because it is simply the national mythology of the Hebrew people.
Also, bonobos.
And also chipmunks.
And also penguins.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Halgrond wrote:
Vestr-Norig wrote:Are you saying that Jesus, the son of God, and God himself, never existed? If so, you cannot call yourself a Christian, as being a Christian implies the believe in the Trinity; God, his son and the Holy Spirit.

The Trinity is incompatible with Christianity. God is only one person, not three. Jesus is only God in that he is a manifestation of who God is in human form.

This is nonsense. God is triune. He is not a monad. To deny this is to deny 2000 years of Christian thought and belief.

Bluth, I love you, brother. I'm pleased you made this thread and I'm sorry I missed it at first. While I disagree with your approach to Christianity, I do find it enthralling and fresh. It certainly isn't the run of the mill Gnosticism - then again, 'run of the mill' isn't exactly a term that accurately describes any variation of Gnosticism, is it? At any rate, I saw the term earlier in the thread, ans I think its the most accurate term that would both satisfy your desire to tie your humanist views with the christ - christianism. I think you should seriously consider using this term to describe your views. It avoids the confusion between yourself and traditional Christians, however incorrect you feel they are in appropriating the term, and it differentiates yourself to such a degree that discussion is invited. It maintains the correlation between humanism and the christ. Its a good term.
Last edited by Distruzio on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:14 pm

I kind of like the Paulinism better. Has more flavor.

Saying you're a Christian under this particular mindset seems to me a lot like taking a cat and removing its claws, eyes, and legs, then setting it in a sling in the corner and telling people that you still own a cat. I mean yeah, you do, but most of the features that made the cat recognizable as and characteristically...cat-like...have been expunged in favor of a furry doorstop in the corner. But hey, at least it doesn't do inconvenient things like knock over vases and unroll your toilet paper.
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Flameswroth wrote:I kind of like the Paulinism better. Has more flavor.

Saying you're a Christian under this particular mindset seems to me a lot like taking a cat and removing its claws, eyes, and legs, then setting it in a sling in the corner and telling people that you still own a cat. I mean yeah, you do, but most of the features that made the cat recognizable as and characteristically...cat-like...have been expunged in favor of a furry doorstop in the corner. But hey, at least it doesn't do inconvenient things like knock over vases and unroll your toilet paper.

The reason I don't agree with this is because, why are the institutional and dogmatic trappings with which you're familiar more essential to Christianity than actual Christ-seeking?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General