NATION

PASSWORD

Rush Limbaugh For Lord's Resistance Army

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Nansurium wrote:Wow. What a surprise! I was right. Despite the ignores I got from you all, I managed to find the transcript of that entire segment. I am going to post all of it here so there won't be any confusion about the meaning behind Mr. Limbaugh's statements.

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: President Obama has deployed troops to another war, in Africa, ladies and gentlemen. Jacob Tapper, ABC News, is reporting that Obama has sent 100 US troops to Uganda to help combat Lord's Resistance Army. Tapper reporting today: "Two days ago President Obama authorized the deployment to Uganda of approximately 100 combat-equipped U.S. forces to help regional forces 'remove from the battlefield' -- meaning capture or kill -- Lord’s Resistance Army leader Joseph Kony and senior leaders of the LRA." I wonder how the Wall Street crowd is gonna react when they find out that Obama has sent troops to another war? "Mr. Limbaugh, it's just 100 peacekeepers." Yep, yep, yep, that's how Libya started, and, by the way, there's no end in sight for Libya.

"The forces will deploy beginning with a small group and grow over the next month to 100. They will ultimately go to Uganda, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo." A hundred people are gonna go to all those places? "The president made this announcement in a letter to House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, Friday afternoon, saying that 'deploying these U.S. Armed Forces furthers U.S. national security interests and foreign policy and will be a significant contribution toward counter-LRA efforts in central Africa.'" LRA is Lord's Resistance Army. And it doesn't mean God's resistance army. Lord is some Lord, some guy. A "Defense Department official tells ABC’s Luis Martinez at the Pentagon that the U.S. troops will be in Africa 'for a few months in an advisory role.'" One hundred troops in an advisory role.

So nothing to worry about here, folks, only gonna be for a few months. Now, up until today, most Americans have never heard of the combat Lord's Resistance Army. And here we are at war with them. Have you ever heard of Lord's Resistance Army, Dawn? How about you, Brian? Snerdley, have you? You never heard of Lord's Resistance Army? Well, proves my contention, most Americans have never heard of it, and here we are at war with them. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. It means God. I was only kidding. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them. That's what the lingo means, "to help regional forces remove from the battlefield," meaning capture or kill.

So that's a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan, Uganda, and -- (interruption) no, I'm not kidding. Jacob Tapper just reported it. Now, are we gonna help the Egyptians wipe out the Christians? Wouldn't you say that we are? I mean the Coptic Christians are being wiped out, but it wasn't just Obama that supported that. The conservative intelligentsia thought it was an outbreak of democracy. Now they've done a 180 on that, but they forgot that they supported it in the first place. Now they're criticizing it.

Lord's Resistance Army objectives. I have them here. "To remove dictatorship and stop the oppression of our people." Now, again Lord's Resistance Army is who Obama sent troops to help nations wipe out. The objectives of the Lord's Resistance Army, what they're trying to accomplish with their military action in these countries is the following: "To remove dictatorship and stop the oppression of our people; to fight for the immediate restoration of the competitive multiparty democracy in Uganda; to see an end to gross violation of human rights and dignity of Ugandans; to ensure the restoration of peace and security in Uganda, to ensure unity, sovereignty, and economic prosperity beneficial to all Ugandans, and to bring to an end the repressive policy of deliberate marginalization of groups of people who may not agree with the LRA ideology." Those are the objectives of the group that we are fighting, or who are being fought and we are joining in the effort to remove them from the battlefield.

The government of Uganda claims that Lord's Resistance Army only has 500 or a thousand soldiers in total. So what's the threat? If that's the maximum size of their army, what's the threat? A thousand soldiers? Now, 1100 soldiers because we have sent a hundred. I'm not making this up. This is Jacob Tapper. ABC News had reported that Obama got a letter off to John Boehner a couple days ago announcing this. It's just for a few months until the Lord's Resistance Army is eradicated. That's all. Just a few months. Not much of a threat.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Here's Mike in Youngsville, North Carolina. Welcome to the EIB Network. Hello.

CALLER: Rush, this is Mike. How you doing?

RUSH: Very well, sir. Thank you.

CALLER: Let me just say thank you so much for your dedication and teaching the principles and the truths of current events today, and I'm a longtime listener, first-time caller.

RUSH: Thank you, sir, very much. I sincerely appreciate it.

CALLER: Yeah, I told Snerdley I want to get to my point quickly --

RUSH: Yeah.

CALLER: -- but just the difference between the Tea Party and the occupation (sic) Wall Street crowd, and that is that, you know, I'm gonna be 60 years old this year in just a few weeks.

RUSH: You don't sound that old.

CALLER: Yeah, I'm gonna be 60 and I've got four children, 32, 30, 29, and 27. I just thank God for this country. I thank God for all the military people that are listening right now serving our country presently and in the past. My parents, both my mum and dad served in World War II. They met on a blind date, my dad passed away in 2003, they would have been married 65 years this year.

RUSH: Whoa. That's something I can't even imagine.

CALLER: Yeah. And, Rush, you know what? I went to a Tea Party rally in Raleigh last year, and the clientele of people that were there were older, you know, I was 59 at the time, and there were a lot of people my age, there were a lot of people right up until that World War II generation that had served. They were polite; they were kind; they were orderly; they were clean. I mean, we left the capitol and you coulda eaten off the ground.

RUSH: Yeah, I know.

CALLER: Yeah. And, you know, Rush, I grew up, I was privileged and my parents sent me to a parochial school. And, you know, this ADD that they talk about, you know, people say ADD, ADD, everybody ADHD, whatever.

CALLER: You know what I call that? ADD?

RUSH: Being a kid.

CALLER: Yeah. Absence of discipline disorder.

RUSH: Well.

CALLER: That's what it is.

RUSH: I like it.

CALLER: I had it when I was young. But the nuns beat it out of me in about two weeks, along with all the other kids that were unruly in the class. And we were taught to be obedient. We were taught to respect our elders. Rush, I went to high school when you did. I had to wear a suit coat and tie at a public school and have my hair cropped so it didn't go over the collar and didn't go over the ears, and these kids today, I've seen it for 30 years since I started having children of my own, and my wife and I would take our kids out to public restaurants and public places, and we made our children obey, we made them, they knew --

RUSH: Well, you know, that's the old days. Now parents want to be friends.

CALLER: Yeah, they want to be their friends.

CALLER: They want to be their friends and this is the result of it. We have these kids that think they're entitled to everything, you know, and we've seen it for 30 years. To this day, you go into any shopping center or store or restaurant and these young children are so unruly, they're crying, they're screaming, and it just reminds me, I knew there was gonna be a payback, and this is it, this is the payback --

RUSH: You knew there was -- (laughing)

CALLER: This is it. We're seeing it.

RUSH: Well, there is a lot of spoiled bratness --

CALLER: Yes, exactly.

RUSH: -- no question. How do you feel about the news? I want to go back, your extensive military background, how do you react to the news that Obama has dispatched a hundred soldiers to fight radical Christians in Africa?

CALLER: That's amazing. I can't believe he's doing that.

RUSH: You can't?

CALLER: You know, Rush, our parents, my mum and dad both served in World War II. I forget how many million soldiers that we sent overseas, and we lost 450,000 lives in 44 months, you know. And they came back, they didn't complain, they went, they served their country, we kept our freedom, we freed all those people that were in those camps of many nationalities --

RUSH: There's no question that times are different, and child rearing has changed. Not everywhere, though. Anyway, Mike, I'm grateful you're in the audience. I'm glad you called. Thanks very much.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: On sending the soldiers to fight the Christians in Africa, here is how Obama ends his letter to John Boehner justifying sending troops to Uganda: "I have directed this deployment, which is in the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States, pursuant to my constitutional authority to conduct US foreign relations and as commander-in-chief and chief executive." Would somebody explain to me what you think our "national security interests" are in Uganda. Now, keep in mind, folks, this is the same Barack Obama who said that we had no national security interests in attacking Iraq. After they were shooting at our planes and trying to kill our president and Allah knows what else, Obama said, "We got no national security interests in Iraq! They don't threaten us! What are we doing?" We've got 500 to a thousand soldiers in the Lord's Resistance Army and Uganda trying to wipe them out, and we're sending a hundred soldiers to help them.

Vital national interests are at stake, according to Obama.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: I wonder when the Nobel Committee is gonna call Obama and ask for the Peace Prize back. You think this is what they had in mind when he got the Peace Prize? Remember, he got that prize on the come. He hadn't done anything for peace, and since then, how many wars are we in now, five? And he hasn't gotten us out of any of these wars? I know, isn't gonna happen.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

Is that right? The Lord's Resistance Army is being accused of really bad stuff? Child kidnapping, torture, murder, that kind of stuff? Well, we just found out about this today. We're gonna do, of course, our due diligence research on it. But nevertheless we got a hundred troops being sent over there to fight these guys -- and they claim to be Christians.

END TRANSCRIPT

As you can see, Limbaugh's complaint isn't that Obama has sent 100 soldiers into Africa to kill "Christians." Its that he has involved the US military in another foreign entanglement. The distortions employed by the New York Times and Huffington Post never cease to amaze me.

Funny, the main theme that I got was that Rush didn't do his research at all well. The LRA is classified as a terrorist organisation that is well known for kidnapping small children from Uganda and neighbouring nations and using them as either sex slaves or as soldiers. They also have a penchant for chopping off limbs of people.

Yes, it's all about targeting Christians though.

Ya know, many Muslim terrorist groups talk about their aims as the "liberation" of Muslims from tyranny and oppression, and "reinstating" democratic rule, particularly in Israel. Perhaps, like the Right are so (correctly) quick to do with Muslim groups, we should compare the stated aims of all organisations with their actions. But I guess, I should remember that we can ALWAYS take a professed Christian at their word. Rescued children discussing war crimes and atrocities perpetrated by the LRA against them are clearly poisoned by Leftists to help start a genocide against Christians. :roll:
Last edited by Saint Jade IV on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Lokhor
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lokhor » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:10 pm

>Sarcasm> Naturally this is a PR move by Obama to show that we are not at war with just Islam, I mean that's in our national security interests right? <Sarcasm<

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Nansurium wrote:Wow. What a surprise! I was right. Despite the ignores I got from you all, I managed to find the transcript of that entire segment. I am going to post all of it here so there won't be any confusion about the meaning behind Mr. Limbaugh's statements.

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: President Obama has deployed troops to another war, in Africa, ladies and gentlemen. Jacob Tapper, ABC News, is reporting that Obama has sent 100 US troops to Uganda to help combat Lord's Resistance Army. Tapper reporting today: "Two days ago President Obama authorized the deployment to Uganda of approximately 100 combat-equipped U.S. forces to help regional forces 'remove from the battlefield' -- meaning capture or kill -- Lord’s Resistance Army leader Joseph Kony and senior leaders of the LRA." I wonder how the Wall Street crowd is gonna react when they find out that Obama has sent troops to another war? "Mr. Limbaugh, it's just 100 peacekeepers." Yep, yep, yep, that's how Libya started, and, by the way, there's no end in sight for Libya.

"The forces will deploy beginning with a small group and grow over the next month to 100. They will ultimately go to Uganda, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo." A hundred people are gonna go to all those places? "The president made this announcement in a letter to House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, Friday afternoon, saying that 'deploying these U.S. Armed Forces furthers U.S. national security interests and foreign policy and will be a significant contribution toward counter-LRA efforts in central Africa.'" LRA is Lord's Resistance Army. And it doesn't mean God's resistance army. Lord is some Lord, some guy. A "Defense Department official tells ABC’s Luis Martinez at the Pentagon that the U.S. troops will be in Africa 'for a few months in an advisory role.'" One hundred troops in an advisory role.

So nothing to worry about here, folks, only gonna be for a few months. Now, up until today, most Americans have never heard of the combat Lord's Resistance Army. And here we are at war with them. Have you ever heard of Lord's Resistance Army, Dawn? How about you, Brian? Snerdley, have you? You never heard of Lord's Resistance Army? Well, proves my contention, most Americans have never heard of it, and here we are at war with them. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. It means God. I was only kidding. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them. That's what the lingo means, "to help regional forces remove from the battlefield," meaning capture or kill.

So that's a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan, Uganda, and -- (interruption) no, I'm not kidding. Jacob Tapper just reported it. Now, are we gonna help the Egyptians wipe out the Christians? Wouldn't you say that we are? I mean the Coptic Christians are being wiped out, but it wasn't just Obama that supported that. The conservative intelligentsia thought it was an outbreak of democracy. Now they've done a 180 on that, but they forgot that they supported it in the first place. Now they're criticizing it.

Lord's Resistance Army objectives. I have them here. "To remove dictatorship and stop the oppression of our people." Now, again Lord's Resistance Army is who Obama sent troops to help nations wipe out. The objectives of the Lord's Resistance Army, what they're trying to accomplish with their military action in these countries is the following: "To remove dictatorship and stop the oppression of our people; to fight for the immediate restoration of the competitive multiparty democracy in Uganda; to see an end to gross violation of human rights and dignity of Ugandans; to ensure the restoration of peace and security in Uganda, to ensure unity, sovereignty, and economic prosperity beneficial to all Ugandans, and to bring to an end the repressive policy of deliberate marginalization of groups of people who may not agree with the LRA ideology." Those are the objectives of the group that we are fighting, or who are being fought and we are joining in the effort to remove them from the battlefield.

The government of Uganda claims that Lord's Resistance Army only has 500 or a thousand soldiers in total. So what's the threat? If that's the maximum size of their army, what's the threat? A thousand soldiers? Now, 1100 soldiers because we have sent a hundred. I'm not making this up. This is Jacob Tapper. ABC News had reported that Obama got a letter off to John Boehner a couple days ago announcing this. It's just for a few months until the Lord's Resistance Army is eradicated. That's all. Just a few months. Not much of a threat.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Here's Mike in Youngsville, North Carolina. Welcome to the EIB Network. Hello.

CALLER: Let me just say thank you so much for your dedication and teaching the principles and the truths of current events today, and I'm a longtime listener, first-time caller.

CALLER: -- but just the difference between the Tea Party and the occupation (sic) Wall Street crowd, and that is that, you know, I'm gonna be 60 years old this year in just a few weeks.

CALLER: Yeah, I'm gonna be 60 and I've got four children, 32, 30, 29, and 27. I just thank God for this country. I thank God for all the military people that are listening right now serving our country presently and in the past. My parents, both my mum and dad served in World War II. They met on a blind date, my dad passed away in 2003, they would have been married 65 years this year.

CALLER: Yeah. And, Rush, you know what? I went to a Tea Party rally in Raleigh last year, and the clientele of people that were there were older, you know, I was 59 at the time, and there were a lot of people my age, there were a lot of people right up until that World War II generation that had served. They were polite; they were kind; they were orderly; they were clean. I mean, we left the capitol and you coulda eaten off the ground.

CALLER: Yeah. And, you know, Rush, I grew up, I was privileged and my parents sent me to a parochial school. And, you know, this ADD that they talk about, you know, people say ADD, ADD, everybody ADHD, whatever.

CALLER: I had it when I was young. But the nuns beat it out of me in about two weeks, along with all the other kids that were unruly in the class. And we were taught to be obedient. We were taught to respect our elders. Rush, I went to high school when you did. I had to wear a suit coat and tie at a public school and have my hair cropped so it didn't go over the collar and didn't go over the ears, and these kids today, I've seen it for 30 years since I started having children of my own, and my wife and I would take our kids out to public restaurants and public places, and we made our children obey, we made them, they knew --

CALLER: They want to be their friends and this is the result of it. We have these kids that think they're entitled to everything, you know, and we've seen it for 30 years. To this day, you go into any shopping center or store or restaurant and these young children are so unruly, they're crying, they're screaming, and it just reminds me, I knew there was gonna be a payback, and this is it, this is the payback --

RUSH: -- no question. How do you feel about the news? I want to go back, your extensive military background, how do you react to the news that Obama has dispatched a hundred soldiers to fight radical Christians in Africa?

CALLER: You know, Rush, our parents, my mum and dad both served in World War II. I forget how many million soldiers that we sent overseas, and we lost 450,000 lives in 44 months, you know. And they came back, they didn't complain, they went, they served their country, we kept our freedom, we freed all those people that were in those camps of many nationalities --

RUSH: There's no question that times are different, and child rearing has changed. Not everywhere, though. Anyway, Mike, I'm grateful you're in the audience. I'm glad you called. Thanks very much.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: On sending the soldiers to fight the Christians in Africa, here is how Obama ends his letter to John Boehner justifying sending troops to Uganda: "I have directed this deployment, which is in the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States, pursuant to my constitutional authority to conduct US foreign relations and as commander-in-chief and chief executive." Would somebody explain to me what you think our "national security interests" are in Uganda. Now, keep in mind, folks, this is the same Barack Obama who said that we had no national security interests in attacking Iraq. After they were shooting at our planes and trying to kill our president and Allah knows what else, Obama said, "We got no national security interests in Iraq! They don't threaten us! What are we doing?" We've got 500 to a thousand soldiers in the Lord's Resistance Army and Uganda trying to wipe them out, and we're sending a hundred soldiers to help them.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: I wonder when the Nobel Committee is gonna call Obama and ask for the Peace Prize back. You think this is what they had in mind when he got the Peace Prize? Remember, he got that prize on the come. He hadn't done anything for peace, and since then, how many wars are we in now, five? And he hasn't gotten us out of any of these wars? I know, isn't gonna happen.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

Is that right? The Lord's Resistance Army is being accused of really bad stuff? Child kidnapping, torture, murder, that kind of stuff? Well, we just found out about this today. We're gonna do, of course, our due diligence research on it. But nevertheless we got a hundred troops being sent over there to fight these guys -- and they claim to be Christians.

END TRANSCRIPT

As you can see, Limbaugh's complaint isn't that Obama has sent 100 soldiers into Africa to kill "Christians." Its that he has involved the US military in another foreign entanglement. The distortions employed by the New York Times and Huffington Post never cease to amaze me.

Yeah. I don't see the need to say that at all.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:17 pm

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

END TRANSCRIPT

Do you read your own sources?

"So that's a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan..."

" Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. It means God. I was only kidding. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them...."

"I want to go back, your extensive military background, how do you react to the news that Obama has dispatched a hundred soldiers to fight radical Christians in Africa?"

It's pretty clear that the religion and stated beliefs of the group are important to Limbaugh's complaint. Indeed, he (rather sickeningly) attempts to make heroes of the group halfway through, by reading their stated aims as though they excuse actions. I don't care if a terrorist group is blowing up clinics for the sake of Christmas and fluffy bunnies - their aims are not the important part, it's the blowing-up-clinics I'd object to.

So, please don't stoop to this kind of pretence. Limbaugh HAS TO do this kind of ridiculously partisan shit - it's what he gets paid for. I'm assuming you don't get paid to portray him as the victim in the piece - so don't feel like you have to.
I identify as
a problem

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Nansurium wrote:As you can see, Limbaugh's complaint isn't that Obama has sent 100 soldiers into Africa to kill "Christians."

um...what? considering he literally said exactly those words, this is YGO-level hack work.

Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them. That's what the lingo means, "to help regional forces remove from the battlefield," meaning capture or kill.

So that's a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan, Uganda, and -- (interruption) no, I'm not kidding. Jacob Tapper just reported it. Now, are we gonna help the Egyptians wipe out the Christians?

come on dude, at least have the decency to hide your bullshit better.

i think the best part is the way he reads LRA propaganda as if it had any relation at all to reality. i mean, in order to get their 'objectives', he (well, his lackeys) must have googled the group. since everything that comes up in a google search is mostly about their well-known crimes against humanity, somebody must have actually went looking for this shit while pointedly ignoring actual information. this isn't simple due diligence failure. this is active endorsement of terrorism.

Copiosa Scotia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Copiosa Scotia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:31 pm

How thoroughly predictable.

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Can someone please inform Rush that the LRA was for years funded by the Islamic government of Sudan to fight Christians in South Sudan and Uganda?

Offenheim
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Offenheim » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:40 pm

You post TV Tropes and I get so lost in it.
"No one has yet learned to drive a locomotive sitting in his study."
-Leon Trotsky

A Royal Fellowship of Death (WW1 RP)
-Central Urpaian Front

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:17 am

Cosmopoles wrote:Can someone please inform Rush that the LRA was for years funded by the Islamic government of Sudan to fight Christians in South Sudan and Uganda?

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:22 am

Cosmopoles wrote:Can someone please inform Rush that the LRA was for years funded by the Islamic government of Sudan to fight Christians in South Sudan and Uganda?

Even better, can someone please inform Rush that we all know he's a scumbag and that he'd happily piss on his grandmother's grave if it suited his own political ends?
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. Egli/Lui.
"Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee. Should I restart the bugger?
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:33 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Do you read your own sources?

"So that's a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan..."

" Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. It means God. I was only kidding. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them...."

"I want to go back, your extensive military background, how do you react to the news that Obama has dispatched a hundred soldiers to fight radical Christians in Africa?"

It's pretty clear that the religion and stated beliefs of the group are important to Limbaugh's complaint. Indeed, he (rather sickeningly) attempts to make heroes of the group halfway through, by reading their stated aims as though they excuse actions. I don't care if a terrorist group is blowing up clinics for the sake of Christmas and fluffy bunnies - their aims are not the important part, it's the blowing-up-clinics I'd object to.

So, please don't stoop to this kind of pretence. Limbaugh HAS TO do this kind of ridiculously partisan shit - it's what he gets paid for. I'm assuming you don't get paid to portray him as the victim in the piece - so don't feel like you have to.

Nansurium is trolling probably.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:52 am

Wiztopia wrote:Nansurium is trolling probably.

Nah, just so driven by his own ideology that he doesn't even realize the transcript he posted blatantly disproves his own point.
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:01 am

Nansurium is not trolling.

However, Nansurium is also wrong.

As one of the very few people here to have been to a country impacted by the LRA (the DRC rather than Uganda or Sudan), I am personally appalled - though I suppose I shouldn't be entirely surprised - that Limbaugh has offered any form of support, however tangential, to the LRA.

This is a terrorist group that has been attempting to destabilise Uganda (a predominantly Christian country) for decades, relying on sexual enslavement, rape, murder, and forced enlistment of child soldiers to do so.

Furthermore, Limbaugh is wildly incorrect in stating - in the quote provided by Nansurium - that the LRA are 'fighting the Muslims in Sudan' since the LRA's main base of operations has been in Uganda, the DRC, and what's now South Sudan, none of which are predominantly Muslim nations.

I would also note that many would dispute Limbaugh's characterisation of the LRA as 'Christian', since I imagine most of his Christian listeners would be appalled by the beliefs of the LRA's founders. Their unique syncretic combination of traditional African shamanism and animism with premillennialist evangelism would be anathema to most North American Christians; for that matter to the overwhelming majority of mainstream Christians. However, I concede that the fact that the LRA believe themselves to be Christians, of a sort, is enough for many to accept their self-characterisation.

Anyway, it strikes me that sending military advisors to help Uganda (one of the more stable countries in the region, and a US ally), the DRC (an unstable country, but one with strategic mineral resources that are important to several US industries), and South Sudan (the creation of which many right of centre Americans have previously staunchly supported) is entirely in keeping with US strategic interests.

In fact, given past right of centre support for the creation of South Sudan, opposing sending out small-scale support to a nation facing a threat from a murderous organisation, which was designated as a terrorist organisation in December 2001 under the Republican-supported PATRIOT act, strikes me as beyond hypocritical.
Last edited by The Archregimancy on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:05 am

The Archregimancy wrote:Nansurium is not trolling.

However, Nansurium is also wrong.

As one of the very few people here to have been to a country impacted by the LRA (the DRC rather than Uganda or Sudan), I am personally appalled - though I suppose I shouldn't be entirely surprised - that Limbaugh has offered any form of support, however tangential, to the LRA.

What a glorious amount of win.

But never you forget the "Hurr durr Barack Hussein Obama is an ebul darkiem00zlemnazicommieathiest illegal alien hellbent on killing Xtians OMG!!!" argument. Limbaugh is just making another sneak attempt at reviving that shit. I expect even more open attempts to be made in the next year.
Last edited by Risottia on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:13 am

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

END TRANSCRIPT

So you didn't see the bolded?

And thanks for the extended transcript, it's good to know he threw in a lie about Libya and some utter ignorance about ADD as well.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:15 am

Nansurium wrote:
Yootwopia wrote:He's mixing the two, and the distortion is as much his as it is theirs.

Perhaps, but Rush has a nasty habit of employing satire in his radio show. The media has a nasty habit of taking his satire seriously.

What he has is a nasty habit of saying horrible things with a straight face, then screaming "it was satire!" when called on them.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Dacius
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dacius » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:24 am

Rush Limbaugh wrote: Is that right? The Lord's Resistance Army is being accused of really bad stuff? Child kidnapping, torture, murder, that kind of stuff? Well, we just found out about this today. We're gonna do, of course, our due diligence research on it. But nevertheless we got a hundred troops being sent over there to fight these guys -- and they claim to be Christians.

I do love that little thing all the conservatives do. First it's all, "Oh those beautiful, lovely, sweet, pure Christians!" but the second the bundles of sunlight and joy that are Christians do anything bad they suddenly become people who "claim" to be Christian. However if any Muslim person anywhere does anything bad it obviously means that all 1.5 billion Muslims around the world are evil.

As for Rush showing support for the LRA? Meh. Limbaugh is a giant buffoon and anyone who hasn't realized that by now is a lost cause. The most we can hope for is that his listeners' brain functionality is low enough to prevent them from getting to any position where we'd be forced to give them any attention.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:27 am

Dacius wrote:
Rush Limbaugh wrote: Is that right? The Lord's Resistance Army is being accused of really bad stuff? Child kidnapping, torture, murder, that kind of stuff? Well, we just found out about this today. We're gonna do, of course, our due diligence research on it. But nevertheless we got a hundred troops being sent over there to fight these guys -- and they claim to be Christians.

I do love that little thing all the conservatives do. First it's all, "Oh those beautiful, lovely, sweet, pure Christians!" but the second the bundles of sunlight and joy that are Christians do anything bad they suddenly become people who "claim" to be Christian. However if any Muslim person anywhere does anything bad it obviously means that all 1.5 billion Muslims around the world are evil.

As for Rush showing support for the LRA? Meh. Limbaugh is a giant buffoon and anyone who hasn't realized that by now is a lost cause. The most we can hope for is that his listeners' brain functionality is low enough to prevent them from getting to any position where we'd be forced to give them any attention.

Let's just make it easier and say all religious people are evil. Even Buddhists.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:31 am

Dacius wrote:

Positions such as being a giant bloc of voters?

Xenohumanity wrote:

Desuforeverlulz
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Desuforeverlulz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:31 am

If I was in Limbaugh's discussion group, I would have openly praised Obama for sending military troops after Christians. Even with the way he described it. To me, an atheist who appreciates dark humour, that's funny. I would love to see the infuriated look on his face.
I'm currently learning this song on guitar. It's going very well!

Erinkita
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:35 am

And I was just wondering what it would take for me to be disappointed in an American political pundit.

I was certain it was taken out of context, but after reading the transcript... Is there any depth Limbaugh will not stoop to? Will the next episode be just him shooting a basket of puppies wearing puppy-sized Obama masks?
Loan me a dragon, I wanna see space.
Justice for Jane Doe

Dacius
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dacius » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:37 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Dacius wrote:

Positions such as being a giant bloc of voters?

Well no, considering that there really isn't much that you can do to make them see sense. Paying them attention doesn't really serve any purpose aside from irritating me.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:10 am

RL wrote:Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan.
I hasten to note that the Lord's Resistance Army was and AFAIK still is, in fact, supported by the (Muslim) North Sudanese, who used it as a tool to fuck with the (Christian) Ugandans who were supporting the (Christian) South Sudanese.

So what Rush Limbaugh is saying is that Obama supporting a reasonably mainstream-ish christian country against a muslim-supported fringe group is bad.

Herrebrugh
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Herrebrugh » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:15 am

Oh, America. You so funny.
Uyt naem Zijner Majeſteyt Jozef III, bij de gratie Godts, Koningh der Herrebrugheylanden, Prins van Rheda, Heer van Jozefslandt, enz. enz. enz.
Im Namen Seiner Majeſtät Joſeph III., von Gottes Gnaden König der Herrenbrückinſeln, Prinz von Rheda, Herr von Josephsland etc. etc. etc.

The Factbook of the Kingdom of the Herrebrugh Islands
Where the Website-Style Factbook Originated!

Dagnia
Senator

Founded: Jul 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagnia » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:28 am

Personally, I think he is misguided. That said, the Lord's Resistance Army may be the lesser of two evils in that country. Don't forget, Idi Amin, one of the most genocidal dictators in history was a Ugandan Muslim.
Personally, I don't like the fact that we are getting involved at all, and that is probably more what Limbaugh is mad at. It seems to be just another conflict that the world asks us to get into citing a potential humanitarian crisis (like Kosovo or Bosnia, both of which I most clearly remember the rest of the world pushed us into), then calls us stupid and imperialist when we do. I was watching RT last night and they even had someone who mentioned all the resources in east central Africa. They also discussed around that time how the US is possibly behind the new unrest in Kosovo, pushing for greater recognition of their independence. It tells me they are already starting to play that game.
Wait an hour, and it will be now again

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General