NATION

PASSWORD

How Was Life Created?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:The basic building block compounds of life form spontaneously and easily given the right ingredients. Given those basic ingredients, fairly stochastic, aqueous environment to allow for electrolytic chemistry, and an incredible amount of time, a small number of very primitive self-replicators could eventually form. These self-replicators could then improve through evolution.

The self-replicators don't even need the aqueous environment, there was something a while back about life like particles being found in a charged dust cloud in space or something similar, but I'm having trouble pinning it down, all I can find is from 2007, but it was more recent than that.

Edit: typo
Last edited by Wikkiwallana on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:The self-replicators don't even need the aqueous environment, there was something a while back about life like particles being found in a charged dust cloud in space or something similar, but I'm having trouble pinning it down, all I can find is from 2007, but it was more recent than that.

I suppose it might be possible, but electrolytic chemistry is such a boon to spontaneous chemical processes, and water is such a common chemical compound, that it is unnecessary to speculate about non-aqueous life for the purposes of explaining life on earth.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:You haven't seen me eat cake, have you? :p

I haven't, but the ninjas have.

And they know there isn't chewing involved, just inhaling. ;)

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Drachmar
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Drachmar wrote:
Panspermia

Thread never ends...

:blink:

Technically, Panspermia doesn't answer how life began, just how it might have gotten to any given planet. The space cruising organisms would still have had to come from abiogenesis.

I see attempts at humor have failed.

:(
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:Your unconscious mind is gold. my friend.

...which explains why people keep sticking shovels in your head.

Katganistan wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:I'm a monster in bed.

Women run screaming from you? ;)

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:32 pm

When two complementary oligonucleotides love each other very much, they form a very special secondary structure...
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:The self-replicators don't even need the aqueous environment, there was something a while back about life like particles being found in a charged dust cloud in space or something similar, but I'm having trouble pinning it down, all I can find is from 2007, but it was more recent than that.

I suppose it might be possible, but electrolytic chemistry is such a boon to spontaneous chemical processes, and water is such a common chemical compound, that it is unnecessary to speculate about non-aqueous life for the purposes of explaining life on earth.

True, I just like the fact that life isn't limited to wet areas. It reminds me of a great quote that I can't seem to find at the moment, something along the lines of "Wherever life can survive, it thrives. Where it can't, it takes a bit longer."

Xenohumanity wrote:

Belvadaire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Belvadaire » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Life comes from life, Makes sense right? philosophers even amit that, scientist can't even create life without taking a substance from a living organism. Not trying ro promote religion in any sort, but it's common sense. I just stood back and looked at everyone I walk past every day, and think, " everybody have a unique mind-set, it has to come from a unlimited higher being, we can't make millions of things diffrent, because our perspective is limited, and our mind is limited, we find ourselves doing things over and over, we can't go to much further as far thinking.It truly take a mind with unlimited means to created things you see today, from earth figures to the stars above, every star has a diffrent figure shape, think about it, the truth is right in your face but most people tend to be stubborn of that fact, just look around, and ask yourself, could one human being make all this amazing sights, from earth to the stars, to the oxygen that we breathe, to the very strength of a being? everyone on earth know the truth to that question, but blined by educational pride, they only see through their degrees of philosophy.

DEATH HOUSE
Attaché

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby DEATH HOUSE » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:34 pm

one thery of how life was created was so elements going together at the exact temp to creat a simple cell then came evolution :geek: mouse :!: oops you aredy said it :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by DEATH HOUSE on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:35 pm

That's a mighty sweeping conclusion for something we know so little about.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:38 pm

All life was sneezed out of the nose of the Great Green Arkleseizure.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Belvadaire wrote:Life comes from life, Makes sense right? philosophers even amit that, scientist can't even create life without taking a substance from a living organism. Not trying ro promote religion in any sort, but it's common sense. I just stood back and looked at everyone I walk past every day, and think, " everybody have a unique mind-set, it has to come from a unlimited higher being, we can't make millions of things diffrent, because our perspective is limited, and our mind is limited, we find ourselves doing things over and over, we can't go to much further as far thinking.It truly take a mind with unlimited means to created things you see today, from earth figures to the stars above, every star has a diffrent figure shape, think about it, the truth is right in your face but most people tend to be stubborn of that fact, just look around, and ask yourself, could one human being make all this amazing sights, from earth to the stars, to the oxygen that we breathe, to the very strength of a being? everyone on earth know the truth to that question, but blined by educational pride, they only see through their degrees of philosophy.

Scientist have tried a few times in a few laboratories over a few decades. Physics had the entire universe try constantly for billions of years. Please don't act like a lack of results on the scientists' part is because life is somehow magical.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Belvadaire wrote:Life comes from life, Makes sense right? philosophers even amit that, scientist can't even create life without taking a substance from a living organism. Not trying ro promote religion in any sort, but it's common sense. I just stood back and looked at everyone I walk past every day, and think, " everybody have a unique mind-set, it has to come from a unlimited higher being, we can't make millions of things diffrent, because our perspective is limited, and our mind is limited, we find ourselves doing things over and over, we can't go to much further as far thinking.It truly take a mind with unlimited means to created things you see today, from earth figures to the stars above, every star has a diffrent figure shape, think about it, the truth is right in your face but most people tend to be stubborn of that fact, just look around, and ask yourself, could one human being make all this amazing sights, from earth to the stars, to the oxygen that we breathe, to the very strength of a being? everyone on earth know the truth to that question, but blined by educational pride, they only see through their degrees of philosophy.

"I'm not trying to promote religion, but science can't explain it! Tides go in, tides go out, sun goes up, sun goes down!"

Have a little light reading
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:39 pm

In common, everyday experience, life comes from life.

In reality, life is entirely made of non-life. Not a single atom in any human body is "alive."
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Rainbows and Rivers
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rainbows and Rivers » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Belvadaire wrote:Life comes from life, Makes sense right?

Generally, but it's not a fundamental law of nature or anything.

JJ Place
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JJ Place » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:14 pm

Why does it matter how life managed to come about?
The price of cheese is eternal Vignotte.

Rainbows and Rivers
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rainbows and Rivers » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:15 pm

JJ Place wrote:Why does it matter how life managed to come about?

Well, it's actually a pretty interesting question, isn't it?

The lepearchauns
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The lepearchauns » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:18 pm

at some point the conditions became perfect for an amino acid to form in a pool of water. those acids formed into the first single cell organism. eventually evolution took its course and life started
Lep

Former CoDF/ Vice Chancellor, FRA
Former Delegate, South Pacific
Former being of awesomeness, everywhere

Kogvuron, the answer to how long you owned my signature from the IPO auction is apparently 9 months

JJ Place
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby JJ Place » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Rainbows and Rivers wrote:
JJ Place wrote:Why does it matter how life managed to come about?

It's a damn interesting question. But, Why does it matter? We're all here, we're all alive, and through research we can all be well. Why concern ourselves with discovery of the details of the creation of life?

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:25 pm

JJ Place wrote:It's a damn interesting question. But, Why does it matter? We're all here, we're all alive, and through research we can all be well. Why concern ourselves with discovery of the details of the creation of life?

Why not concern ourselves with it? What is the point in rejecting curiosity? When has shutting the door on intellectual inquiry ever done anything good for anyone?

H N Fiddlebottoms VIII
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 31, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby H N Fiddlebottoms VIII » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Ifreann wrote:I'll stop now, I promise.

No. Don't ever stop. Don't ever, ever stop. Please.

As to life? It occurred because it did. The past is a really dumb thing to waste your brain on, as it existed as a necessity given that our current state of affairs could not have arisen had the exact past we know not have occurred. Life was created because life as we know it exists. Maybe a time traveler from the year 3100 accidentally left some germs on a pre-life Earth while trying to gather some of those sweet, sweet pre-life minerals.
Stuck somewhere between high school and old school.
Here's some bullshit I write. Maybe you want to read it?

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:39 pm

H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:The past is a really dumb thing to waste your brain on, as it existed as a necessity given that our current state of affairs could not have arisen had the exact past we know not have occurred.

The past is where all observations come from. Everything we know about the world, we only know by examining events that already occurred.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:54 pm

You see, I had a bad case of gas...
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Calenhardon
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Calenhardon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:57 pm

JJ Place wrote:
Rainbows and Rivers wrote:

It's a damn interesting question. But, Why does it matter? We're all here, we're all alive, and through research we can all be well. Why concern ourselves with discovery of the details of the creation of life?

Because we can and we want too.
Political Compass: econ -5.38/soc -2.67

JJ Place
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby JJ Place » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:03 pm

JJ Place wrote:It's a damn interesting question. But, Why does it matter? We're all here, we're all alive, and through research we can all be well. Why concern ourselves with discovery of the details of the creation of life?

Why not concern ourselves with it? What is the point in rejecting curiosity? When has shutting the door on intellectual inquiry ever done anything good for anyone?

Never at all; inquiry is a virtue of all success, an ingredient in all successful batters. However, why are we considering this question, a question of such great magnitude, in it's current form and formulation?

Calenhardon
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Calenhardon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:42 pm

JJ Place wrote:

Never at all; inquiry is a virtue of all success, an ingredient in all successful batters. However, why are we considering this question, a question of such great magnitude, in it's current form and formulation?

Because no one has come up with a better form and formulation yet?
Political Compass: econ -5.38/soc -2.67

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General