NATION

PASSWORD

Should Marijuana be Legal?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:58 pm

Wienholdland wrote:
Keronians wrote:And consuming drugs such as alcohol, tobacco, etc. in public can cause harm to people who made no choice to willingly harm themselves.
No it can't.

you've obviously never met an angry drunk.
I am me, the one and only. I am the whistling in the wind, the voice in your ear.

I am the eye in the sky, the knife in your back. I am always around, but do not fear. your time will come, as does all.

Wienholdland
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Wienholdland » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:59 pm

The Warrior Hearted wrote:
Wienholdland wrote:No it can't.

you've obviously never met an angry drunk.
I've never met an angry puddle of alcohol.

The Islands of United Caribbean Colonies
Attaché

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of United Caribbean Colonies » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:00 pm

GreaterPacificNations wrote:
Keronians wrote:
Right, and when someone harms another person, whilst under the influence, they are responsible for that. There is a justice and civil court system in place to manage that after-effect of freedom.

Most people don't stop to ask a stranger's name or anything else if they are next to them when they're smoking.

You don't need to be exposed to one concrete person smoking over extended periods of time, they could be exposed to various people smoking over extended periods of time. Which happens quite often.

If you were in a restaurant, and the restaurant condoned smoking inside, sue them. If they didn't, tell the waiter to stop the person from smoking. This basic premise can be applied to any premises open to the public. As for smoking outside- tough shit. Don't sit next to smokers on a park bench- it's easy to avoid.

When do you hear of marijuana smokers beating their families/jumping off of roofs while high?

You don't, because marijuana is all around better for you than alcohol.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Keronians wrote:
Right, and when someone harms another person, whilst under the influence, they are responsible for that. There is a justice and civil court system in place to manage that after-effect of freedom.

Most people don't stop to ask a stranger's name or anything else if they are next to them when they're smoking.

You don't need to be exposed to one concrete person smoking over extended periods of time, they could be exposed to various people smoking over extended periods of time. Which happens quite often.

If you were in a restaurant, and the restaurant condoned smoking inside, sue them. If they didn't, tell the waiter to stop the person from smoking. This basic premise can be applied to any premises open to the public. As for smoking outside- tough shit. Don't sit next to smokers on a park bench- it's easy to avoid.

How about the fact that I'm causing no harm, while you are, therefore, you shouldn't smoke in a public place?

As for restaurants condoning smoking inside, yes, I should be able to, but at the same time, it means that the law recognises that a restaurant shouldn't allow smoking in it.
Last edited by Keronians on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Wienholdland wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote:you've obviously never met an angry drunk.
I've never met an angry puddle of alcohol.

:palm:

There are drugs which DO change how you act. You can find someone who is the nicest guy on earth, but suddenly becomes an angry asshole after a few shots pretty easily.
I am me, the one and only. I am the whistling in the wind, the voice in your ear.

I am the eye in the sky, the knife in your back. I am always around, but do not fear. your time will come, as does all.

Biop
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Biop » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Keronians wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:Let's see sources. For all of them.

Gonna need 'em here too.

And here.

This counts as the Morality Police mentality.

Source for "drugs are addictive"? Are you serious?

Ya i think he is and Wikipeida isnt a viable source
FORANGES

Scalie, Proud, Dangerous

Terintania

Oh god....Hopefully that waits for a while:P

Oh Christ seeing Cole cause this much, Hudson will kill us.

Biop
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Biop » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Keronians wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Authoritarianism fails.

There is not a single (sane) person who believes there is nothing wrong with murder. There are people that are willing to do it, of course, for whatever reason. There is a difference.

There are quite a few people who believe that there is nothing wrong with murder.

I belive in self deence killing, Its not right but its the difference between you living and you not.
FORANGES

Scalie, Proud, Dangerous

Terintania

Oh god....Hopefully that waits for a while:P

Oh Christ seeing Cole cause this much, Hudson will kill us.

Wienholdland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Wienholdland » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:03 pm

The Warrior Hearted wrote:
Wienholdland wrote:I've never met an angry puddle of alcohol.

:palm:

There are drugs which DO change how you act. You can find someone who is the nicest guy on earth, but suddenly becomes an angry asshole after a few shots pretty easily.
That's nice. I don't care. The alcohol is not responsible for an individual's actions.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Wienholdland wrote:
Keronians wrote:And consuming drugs such as alcohol, tobacco, etc. in public can cause harm to people who made no choice to willingly harm themselves.
No it can't.

Of course it can. Don't quite understand what you're trying to say, but it's wrong.

A drunk will most likely cause harm he wouldn't do if his judgment weren't being clouded by the depressant. The cause of the harm can be traced back to the drug, so the drug does cause harm to others when individuals consume it.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Keronians wrote:
GreaterPacificNations wrote: Right, and when someone harms another person, whilst under the influence, they are responsible for that. There is a justice and civil court system in place to manage that after-effect of freedom.

How about the fact that I'm causing no harm, while you are, therefore, you shouldn't smoke in a public place?

As for restaurants condoning smoking inside, yes, I should be able to, but at the same time, it means that the law recognises that a restaurant shouldn't allow smoking in it.

How about letting property owners choose what they do with their property? If they allow smoking, they allow smoking. If they don't, they don't. And if you have your panties in a bunch over some smokers, don't go to a smoking restaurant.

But no. The state must dictate everything for us. It must hold my pee pee because I might get some pee on the seat.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Wienholdland wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote: :palm:

That's nice. I don't care. The alcohol is not responsible for an individual's actions.

That's nice. And irrelevant.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:05 pm

Wienholdland wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote: :palm:

im sorry, but did you really just make that argument?

It is a major factor. Some drugs are proven to change how you think, ergo, it is partly the drugs fault.

GreaterPacificNations
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 22, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby GreaterPacificNations » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:05 pm

They don't have to. Tobacco only really harms others via second hand smoke. So as long as people aren't smoking inside, no problem there. Same with weed. Alcohol, and Crack and few others have higher secondary incidences of harm based more or less behavioural problems. People become dicks when they use them.

Not to mention that I still don't see why we should allow something which does nothing but cause net harm be legal, apart from the fact that it is impossible to enforce.

Because as Sibirsky said, use drops after legalisation. Also, a legalised problem is easier to manage. Because, as I said before, lots of things cause harm, like eating bacon, but we can't restrict people's freedom to force them to live an 'ideal' life. Society is just a whole bunch of us- all different- trying to find the best way to all get along while doing what we want to do.

In list format:
1)Impossible to enforce
2)Use drops with legalisation
3)Use can be managed and regulated to further reduce harm when legalised.
4)It is a basic freedom to do what you will with your body.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:05 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Keronians wrote:

How about letting property owners choose what they do with their property? If they allow smoking, they allow smoking. If they don't, they don't. And if you have your panties in a bunch over some smokers, don't go to a smoking restaurant.

But no. The state must dictate everything for us. It must hold my pee pee because I might get some pee on the seat.

Yes, stating clearly that this is a smoking restaurant will do.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Wienholdland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Wienholdland » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Keronians wrote:
Wienholdland wrote:No it can't.

Of course it can. Don't quite understand what you're trying to say, but it's wrong.

A drunk will most likely cause harm he wouldn't do if his judgment weren't being clouded by the depressant. The cause of the harm can be traced back to the drug, so the drug does cause harm to others when individuals consume it.
Individuals are responsible for their own actions. Quite easy to understand, really.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:07 pm

They don't have to. Tobacco only really harms others via second hand smoke. So as long as people aren't smoking inside, no problem there. Same with weed. Alcohol, and Crack and few others have higher secondary incidences of harm based more or less behavioural problems. People become dicks when they use them.

Not to mention that I still don't see why we should allow something which does nothing but cause net harm be legal, apart from the fact that it is impossible to enforce.

Because as Sibirsky said, use drops after legalisation. Also, a legalised problem is easier to manage. Because, as I said before, lots of things cause harm, like eating bacon, but we can't restrict people's freedom to force them to live an 'ideal' life. Society is just a whole bunch of us- all different- trying to find the best way to all get along while doing what we want to do.

In list format:
1)Impossible to enforce

Essentially why I support legalisation.
Last edited by Keronians on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Wienholdland wrote:
Keronians wrote:

Individuals are responsible for their own actions. Quite easy to understand, really.

Indeed it is.

Pretty irrelevant to the post, though.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Keronians wrote:Not to mention that I still don't see why we should allow something which does nothing but cause net harm be legal, apart from the fact that it is impossible to enforce.

Using this logic, nothing should be legal.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Keronians wrote:Not to mention that I still don't see why we should allow something which does nothing but cause net harm be legal, apart from the fact that it is impossible to enforce.

Using this logic, nothing should be legal.

Provide examples.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Keronians wrote:
GreaterPacificNations wrote: They don't have to. Tobacco only really harms others via second hand smoke. So as long as people aren't smoking inside, no problem there. Same with weed. Alcohol, and Crack and few others have higher secondary incidences of harm based more or less behavioural problems. People become dicks when they use them.

In list format:
1)Impossible to enforce

Essentially why I support legalisation.[/quote]

You strike out the main argument for legalization?
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Keronians wrote:
Essentially why I support legalisation.

Yup.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Keronians wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Using this logic, nothing should be legal.

Provide examples.

Name something that does not cause harm, or has potential to cause harm.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Biop wrote:Source for "drugs are addictive"? Are you serious?

Completely. Some are and some aren't.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Keronians wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:

Yup.

Fascist.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Keronians wrote:
Provide examples.

Name something that does not cause harm, or has potential to cause harm.

I said net harm, not "no harm at all".
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

PreviousNext

Advertisement