NATION

PASSWORD

Why are People Homophobic?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:28 pm

Sovereign Oppression wrote:
Sociobiology wrote: actually the whole point of the section is that the US does not have the right to deny them marriage, this section is about the fact that the constitution dictates the limited areas that the government can infringe upon rights, the constitution does not define the scope of all the rights held by the people rights.
but really I'm waited for a Hermaphrodite to sue because their rights are infringed by both your and the general interpretation.

And my point is, if they want those right to be legally recognized, they'll have to make a case for it that shows how everyone's right is being denied. Either by displaying A) Everyone's right to marry the person they love is being denied, or B) Everyone's right to marry any person, regardless of sex, race, or other factors, is being denied. Either way, the U.S. does not currently recognize the ability to marry someone of the same sex as a right.

There are two types fo rights. Legal rights, and theoretical rights. Most of the arguments I've seen have been stating that denial of homosexual marriage is in violation of legal rights. It is not. This is what the majority of my posts have been about.

In the case of the !X Amendment, it is a theoretical right, and it must be proven to be real and violated.

which has been done in federal district court, thus overturning any same sex marriage bans in that district.
the fact that you cannot discriminate against sex makes it illegal, but the district court went for the more direct basic right approach.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Sovereign Oppression
Envoy

Founded: Dec 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovereign Oppression » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Sovereign Oppression wrote:
And my point is, if they want those right to be legally recognized, they'll have to make a case for it that shows how everyone's right is being denied. Either by displaying A) Everyone's right to marry the person they love is being denied, or B) Everyone's right to marry any person, regardless of sex, race, or other factors, is being denied. Either way, the U.S. does not currently recognize the ability to marry someone of the same sex as a right.

There are two types fo rights. Legal rights, and theoretical rights. Most of the arguments I've seen have been stating that denial of homosexual marriage is in violation of legal rights. It is not. This is what the majority of my posts have been about.

In the case of the !X Amendment, it is a theoretical right, and it must be proven to be real and violated.

which has been done in federal district court, thus overturning any same sex marriage bans in that district.
the fact that you cannot discriminate against sex makes it illegal, but the district court went for the more direct basic right approach.

You can, however, discriminate against sex. Just not in the workplace. That argument has already been tried and failed.

And again, it is the Supreme Court that ultimately decides what is constitutional and what is not. One court's ruling does not decide this. So until the case, or one like it, gets brought to the Supreme Court, no, under U.S. law there is nothing which states it to be illegal. There is no legal right to marry a person of the opposite sex.
Last edited by Sovereign Oppression on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pauper Kings
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pauper Kings » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Polruan wrote:Are we to believe that every homosexual person is something like Peter Tatchell with a bad hangover then, is that the idea?

To some of you, the very idea that gender exists must be thrown away because ...well, you say so.

Why on earth would the fact that some homosexuals are small-minded jerks (as are some people anywhere) say anything about other gays? Most gay people don't particularly care that someone somewhere doesn't approve of what they're doing, you know; this is because they have lives?

Their most vocal advocates aren't doing them any favors then.

"Peter Tatchell" Obscure references to obscure people. Australia?..isn't the entire world.

Sovereign Oppression
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovereign Oppression » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:36 pm

Oh, wait, Sociobiology I'm sorry. I think I misread your post.

In the case of that case, yes, it was shown that there was a violation of theoretical rights. However, for it to become a legally protected right, it still has to make it's way up to the Supreme Court. Otherwise there is still nothing "illegal" about bans on homosexual marriage, and the rulings can switch back and forth.

Polruan
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Polruan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Pauper Kings wrote:Their most vocal advocates aren't doing them any favors then.

Yeah, cos it's not like that doesn't apply to, oh, everyone else :roll:

"Peter Tatchell" Obscure references to obscure people. Australia?..isn't the entire world.

That's my point. You're acting as if every gay person is somehow part of a monolithic movement and has the same characteristics and beliefs. This doesn't make any sense.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Sovereign Oppression wrote:Oh, wait, Sociobiology I'm sorry. I think I misread your post.

In the case of that case, yes, it was shown that there was a violation of theoretical rights. However, for it to become a legally protected right, it still has to make it's way up to the Supreme Court. Otherwise there is still nothing "illegal" about bans on homosexual marriage, and the rulings can switch back and forth.

actually the law is overturned in that district as being in violation of the authority of the state, unless the state appeals the case and the appellate court overturns it.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Pauper Kings
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Pauper Kings » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Polruan wrote:
That's my point. You're acting as if every gay person is somehow part of a monolithic movement and has the same characteristics and beliefs. This doesn't make any sense.

Exactly the way they present themselves. How can anyone tell otherwise? When they present a united front there is no reason to believe their beliefs differ significantly. If their opinions weren't being constantly put up front on the forum, whether in threads or not, nobody would give a damn.

Pauper Kings
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Pauper Kings » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Do you have any beliefs that actually matter to you, Polruan, or are you only a devil's advocate?

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:14 pm

Pauper Kings wrote:
Polruan wrote:

Exactly the way they present themselves. How can anyone tell otherwise? When they present a united front there is no reason to believe their beliefs differ significantly. If their opinions weren't being constantly put up front on the forum, whether in threads or not, nobody would give a damn.

You know, if they had the right to marry, and weren't discriminated against in other forms, and consenting adults are not disparaged and denigrated for what they do in the privacy of their bedrooms - maybe they'd stop making all that big fuss that annoys you so much.
Taking a break.

Sovereign Oppression
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovereign Oppression » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Sovereign Oppression wrote:Oh, wait, Sociobiology I'm sorry. I think I misread your post.

actually the law is overturned in that district as being in violation of the authority of the state, unless the state appeals the case and the appellate court overturns it.

Oh, really? That's intriguing...that changes things. I never considered that.

Pauper Kings
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Pauper Kings » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:39 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:
Pauper Kings wrote:Exactly the way they present themselves. How can anyone tell otherwise? When they present a united front there is no reason to believe their beliefs differ significantly. If their opinions weren't being constantly put up front on the forum, whether in threads or not, nobody would give a damn.

You know, if they had the right to marry, and weren't discriminated against in other forms, and consenting adults are not disparaged and denigrated for what they do in the privacy of their bedrooms - maybe they'd stop making all that big fuss that annoys you so much.

#1. They have the right to marry the same sex in several states, and to adopt. More to come probably.

#2. Disparagement and denigration, among other people in those peoples' private, personal lives, and in their public opinion too, is not something that homosexuals can do much about. I guess even further hate crimes legislation is the answer to unfavorable opinions? As long as they aren't threatening or harassing them....

Discrimination in other forms barely exists.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Pauper Kings wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:

#1. They have the right to marry the same sex in several states, and to adopt. More to come probably.

Until it is legalized nationwide, I believe, homosexuals should and most likely will continue to protest for their rights, and rightly so.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

De Quay
Secretary

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby De Quay » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
De Quay wrote:And from that the logical conclusion is that homosexuals are superior. Duh indeed . . .

Because all, or nearly all straight men consider rape perfectly acceptable, right?

Now you are starting to think correctly, I see. Unless you are just being sarcastic in order to dominate me, which *also* proves me correct.

Republica Newland
Minister

Founded: Oct 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica Newland » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Just a little food for thought:

If being gay was actually a disease (as some homophobic people say),then,were it to be genetically-inherited,gay people would already be stamped out by now as they cannot have kids.

WHAT HAS BEEN SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN
F Scale: 2.9(3)
Economic Left/Right: 0.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10
Aloha.
I play RL-concious. That's just how I roll. Deal with it.
GOODIES IN STOCK!!! - Republica Arms™ - SEARCH FOR TFLRN IN GLOBAL ECONOMICS&TRADE!

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Republica Newland wrote:as they cannot have kids.

Where the fuck did you get that idea?

Also, kindly don't gravedig.
Last edited by Ovisterra on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Republica Newland
Minister

Founded: Oct 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica Newland » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:23 pm

Ovisterra wrote:
Republica Newland wrote:as they cannot have kids.

Since when does buttsecks result in kids?
F Scale: 2.9(3)
Economic Left/Right: 0.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10
Aloha.
I play RL-concious. That's just how I roll. Deal with it.
GOODIES IN STOCK!!! - Republica Arms™ - SEARCH FOR TFLRN IN GLOBAL ECONOMICS&TRADE!

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Republica Newland wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

Since when does buttsecks result in kids?

>Implying there's no such thing as lesbians
>Implying there's no such thing as surrogate parents

ಠ_ಠ
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Republica Newland wrote:Just a little food for thought:

If being gay was actually a disease (as some homophobic people say),then,were it to be genetically-inherited,gay people would already be stamped out by now as they cannot have kids.

WHAT HAS BEEN SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN

Implying gays can't ejaculate inside women.

Preference and ability are 2 different things.

I can walk to the store. But I prefer to take a car.

/thread
Last edited by Ralkovia on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spig: Ralk, what is ur Zionist Jewnazi Agenda?
Ralk: PROLIFERATE POTATO
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.
Kirav wrote:This is NationStates. Our Jews live in Ralkovia.

Maudlnya wrote:You guys talking about Ralkovia?
*mutters something about scariness up to 11*

Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:
Leningrad Union: Help me against Ralkovia

That's a Jew octopus with a machine gun.
I think I will pass.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
New_Edom:you're so coy Ralk. You're the shyest of dictators.
More Funny/Intimidating Quotes About Me Short Summary On Ralkovian Policies.

North Stradia
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby North Stradia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Biop wrote:Seeing as how my last one was locked here we go again.
-
My Pisitin is that All People are open to their openion, But why do people hate LGB is what i want to know?

[modedit]An example of a better way to start this thread would be:

"Why are some people violently opposed to homosexuality? It doesn't seem to make sense when other people's sexual interests/orientation really doesn't concern anyone but those involved. I believe that all people are entitled to their opinions about what is and is not their preference, but why would anyone hate lesbians, gays or bisexuals?"[/edit]

Religion.

MODEDIT: Gravedig, locked
Last edited by Dread Lady Nathicana on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Feudo-capitalist, egoist, and a supporter of plutocracy.
R.I.P. Sark, the last feudalist State in the world, born 933, died 2008
Economic Left/Right: +9.89
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +8.12
Foreign Policy Non-Interventionist/Neocon: +5.88
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: +2.90

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General