NATION

PASSWORD

Why are People Homophobic?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Euronion
Senator

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
The Irish Marchlands wrote:Pffft! Jesus, where are you getting your numbers?

the scientific compendium
Human Sperm Competition: Copulation, Masturbation and Infidelity
by M A Bellis and R R Baker

link? and by that I mean I want to see the exact numbers and exact calculations, scientists have fabricated their data on more than one occasion
Last edited by Euronion on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
The Official Euronion Website
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:45 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
The Irish Marchlands wrote:Pffft! Jesus, where are you getting your numbers?

Even if his numbers are slightly inflated (which they may be - I'm not sure) that does not change the validity of his statement.

Of course not, but it's pretty hard to oppress practically a sixth (16%) of the population of a country.

Much easier to oppress a tenth, which is what I thought the figure was.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:45 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Yeah, actually they are...

Normal merely means "average". Contrary to how many people use it, it is therefor neither negative nor positive. A genius is not normal, nor is an imbecile.

Homosexuals form a minority, just like gingers, left-handed people, nobel prize winners, Olympic athlethes, massmurderers and honest lawyers. They are not normal ;)

you can add the nuclear family to the list.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Euronion wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Which is only half of the worlds population ;) Currently that is.
But true, it is unlikely. Still, thought experiments often are :)

Christians make up 3 billion of the worlds population, Muslims make up 2 billion, and Jews make up a few million, with a global population of around 7 billion as of January, thats 5+out of 7 billion who are either Christians, Jewish, or Muslims. That doesn't even include China's population, from which I understan, is pretty hostile towards it too so add another billion or so to that list

ITT there's no such thing as a gay christian :roll:
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:48 pm

-St George wrote:
Euronion wrote:
Christians make up 3 billion of the worlds population, Muslims make up 2 billion, and Jews make up a few million, with a global population of around 7 billion as of January, thats 5+out of 7 billion who are either Christians, Jewish, or Muslims. That doesn't even include China's population, from which I understan, is pretty hostile towards it too so add another billion or so to that list

ITT there's no such thing as a gay christian :roll:

I believe in you !
*claps hands*
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Euronion wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Then stop typing it... Your claim is obvious bullshit.
Heteros can marry the person of their choosing.
Homos cannot marry the person of their choosing.
Simple as that.

I assume that you read the thead since you quoted everyone through it, so go and read my explanations again1, because I do not want to type another explanation for someone who will waste my time like you will, you have quite a reputation around the forums on arguements like the one at stake here2, stop flaming3, stop insulting, and either offer something constructive4 or leave5 because I am not in the mood to argue with you right now6 come back in a day or two and then I will be ready to spar. Until then I will not reply to any of your posts7

1: I did read them. They're bullshit.
2: "Wah! I can't prove you're wrong, so instead I'll whine about how you're a big meanie!"
3: You think I've flamed someone, report me...
4: I have. Maybe you're the one who should consider actually reading the thread...
5: Sorry, but you can't order me out of the thread.
6: Of course you aren't... You don't have a rational argument.
7: Awww... I'm devastated... :( Not!
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Keronians wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Even if his numbers are slightly inflated (which they may be - I'm not sure) that does not change the validity of his statement.

Of course not, but it's pretty hard to oppress practically a sixth (16%) of the population of a country.

it depends on the culture, low numbers like 12% tend to occur in culture which have death penalties of homosexual behavior, while cultures with fair treatment and a public healthcare system get around 16%.
I should note that practicing bisexuals are considered part of the homosexual population for the surveys.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Keronians wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Even if his numbers are slightly inflated (which they may be - I'm not sure) that does not change the validity of his statement.

That's what I thought as well...
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Euronion wrote:
Simple as that.

I assume that you read the thead since you quoted everyone through it, so go and read my explanations again, because I do not want to type another explanation for someone who will waste my time like you will, you have quite a reputation around the forums on arguements like the one at stake here, stop flaming, stop insulting, and either offer something constructive or leave because I am not in the mood to argue with you right now come back in a day or two and then I will be ready to spar. Until then I will not reply to any of your posts

I'd like to think my reputation is either good or nonexistent, so can I talk to you?

Does anyone have the right to marry who they love?
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Euronion wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:the scientific compendium
Human Sperm Competition: Copulation, Masturbation and Infidelity
by M A Bellis and R R Baker

link? and by that I mean I want to see the exact numbers and exact calculations, scientists have fabricated their data on more than one occasion

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Sperm-Competition-Copulation-Masturbation/dp/0412454300

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Keronians wrote:

it depends on the culture, low numbers like 12% tend to occur in culture which have death penalties of homosexual behavior, while cultures with fair treatment and a public healthcare system get around 16%.
I should note that practicing bisexuals are considered part of the homosexual population for the surveys.

In that case, I'm surprised the numbers aren't higher...
Married to Koshka

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Johz wrote:
Euronion wrote:
I assume that you read the thead since you quoted everyone through it, so go and read my explanations again, because I do not want to type another explanation for someone who will waste my time like you will, you have quite a reputation around the forums on arguements like the one at stake here, stop flaming, stop insulting, and either offer something constructive or leave because I am not in the mood to argue with you right now come back in a day or two and then I will be ready to spar. Until then I will not reply to any of your posts

I'd like to think my reputation is either good or nonexistent, so can I talk to you?

Only if you blindly accept everything he says as The Truth™.
*nods*
Married to Koshka

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:53 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Sociobiology wrote: it depends on the culture, low numbers like 12% tend to occur in culture which have death penalties of homosexual behavior, while cultures with fair treatment and a public healthcare system get around 16%.

In that case, I'm surprised the numbers aren't higher...

the key word would be practicing
the benefits for reproduction are predicted to balance the increased risk of disease at ~15% of the population, other factors move it from their.

Naurobia
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Naurobia » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:53 pm

Stupid religion is the source for most of the hate.
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:55 pm

Johz wrote:
Euronion wrote:

One of the posters here (you know who you are - kudos !) made me realise that the whole "equal rights" debate is kinda irrelevant.

The issue is that a group of people wants that everyone - gay, straight, pansexual, asexual, whatever - gets the right to marry someone of the same gender. Everybody would therefor get more rights.

So opponents should not argue there is no lack of equality that needs solving - but why such rights should be witheld from everyone.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:In that case, I'm surprised the numbers aren't higher...

the key word would be practicing
the benefits for reproduction are predicted to balance the increased risk of disease at ~15% of the population, other factors move it from their.

Good point... I missed that... :oops:
Married to Koshka

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Euronion wrote:
Simple as that.

75% of Spaniards are Catholic. 70% of Spaniards support gay marriage.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Keronians wrote:
Euronion wrote:

75% of Spaniards are Catholic. 70% of Spaniards support gay marriage.

Obviously they're not Real Catholics™.
*nods*
Married to Koshka

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:12 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Johz wrote:I'd like to think my reputation is either good or nonexistent, so can I talk to you?

One of the posters here (you know who you are - kudos !) made me realise that the whole "equal rights" debate is kinda irrelevant.

The issue is that a group of people wants that everyone - gay, straight, pansexual, asexual, whatever - gets the right to marry someone of the same gender. Everybody would therefor get more rights.

So opponents should not argue there is no lack of equality that needs solving - but why such rights should be witheld from everyone.

I think a little bit of that kudos should go to you. Indeed, I'll chip in with some kudos, because that is a really interesting point. Thanks for making it.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Johz wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

I think a little bit of that kudos should go to you. Indeed, I'll chip in with some kudos, because that is a really interesting point. Thanks for making it.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:17 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:the key word would be practicing

Good point... I missed that... :oops:

evolution is fun, and hard if you do not take statistics, that's why I had to minor in statistics.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:18 pm

Due to religion having dominated most of our minds in the past, with mad "men of God" filling our ancestor's mind with their nonsense about how homosexuality is a disease, yada...

It's hard to get rid of beliefs that has been pretty much marked deep within our society. Ancient Rome didn't have too much problem with it, so it's not like it's natural for people to be homophobic.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:31 pm

If many people believe so, which many do, than we should respect their beliefs even if we think they are misguided instead of forcing them to accept something that they do not believe is right, Like Muslims who wear Hijabs, Muslims see hair as a symbol of sexuality, we don't, but we still ahve to respect their beliefs. I beleive that it is not right as the Bible says it is not.

Um, no, actually. Neither I nor anyone else is under any legal, logical or moral compulsion to respect your beliefs, or anyone else's. Your right to have and express those beliefs? Absolutely, I'll defend it to the death. But the belief itself, no, not in the slightest, no more than I would respect the beliefs of someone who thought their god was telling them to kill people, or someone who believed that they had the right to torture people to death for being black. All opinions are in no way, shape or form, equal.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Euro, just admit it. You are a bigot.

I believe that fact, as does just about everyone else on here. You have lost. You do not pass go, you do not collect $50, and you have lost what little agreement there was for your side here on NS.

Goodday sir and may the door knock some sense into you on the way out

Sincerely, your heterosexual (not)friend
Drake
I am me, the one and only. I am the whistling in the wind, the voice in your ear.

I am the eye in the sky, the knife in your back. I am always around, but do not fear. your time will come, as does all.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:56 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Good point... I missed that... :oops:

evolution is fun, and hard if you do not take statistics, that's why I had to minor in statistics.

I meant I missed the word practicing... :( :oops:
Married to Koshka

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General