NATION

PASSWORD

Does wealth equal to greed?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vestr-Norig
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vestr-Norig » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:59 am

Volnotova wrote:
Vestr-Norig wrote:Rich people should be taxed MUCH more than they do. I believe, that nobody really should have too many money, too big boat, house, etc, but that the resources should be more equaly shared.

Is there any reason why you support that besides pure jealousy?

I do not wan't a huge, fancy house. I do not want a large boat. I do not wan't a limo. So no, I am not jealous. I am happy for what I have, which is not little, but not too much either. I believe that the many poor people in society (or the society in itself) could use the money much better. There is no reason for getting ridiciouly rich.
Last edited by Vestr-Norig on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
-- Centre-left --
Agrarianism, Republicanism, Ruralism, Nationalism, Western Norwegian Separatism, Regionalism, Confederalism, Localism, Christian Democracy, Decentralization, Protectionism, National/Cultural Conservatism, Traditionalism, Euroscepticism

Language: Linguistic purism, Norsk Målreising

Religion: Lutheranism
"Sæle dei som ikkje ser, og endå trur" - Joh 20,29

Vestr-Norig
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vestr-Norig » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:02 am

The Merchant Republics wrote:
Vestr-Norig wrote:Rich people should be taxed MUCH more than they do. I believe, that nobody really should own that much money, and have a too big boat, house, etc. I believe resources should be much more equaly shared than it is in any nation today.

How big of a boat is too big?

Who decides how big I can make my house, if I build myself a house that is too big do you have the right to tear it down, in the name of fairness?

Why should you have a ridiciously big house and boat, while your neighbour lives in a shack and have no boat?
Last edited by Vestr-Norig on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
-- Centre-left --
Agrarianism, Republicanism, Ruralism, Nationalism, Western Norwegian Separatism, Regionalism, Confederalism, Localism, Christian Democracy, Decentralization, Protectionism, National/Cultural Conservatism, Traditionalism, Euroscepticism

Iron Chariots
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Chariots » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:05 am

The idea that "ripping people off only goes so far" relies on a perfect information economy and the presence of viable alternatives. In the real world, the most profitable companies are typically the ones that can rape you in the ass and get you to thank them for the reach-around.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.13

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:07 am

Primesnarf wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
... At ripping everybody else off.

I don't think wealth = greed.

Unfortunately, though, a lot of greedy people are wealthy. And they won't stop trying to increase their wealth.

Only if those who are wealthy that ripped people off are cons.
Most wealthy people are not cons, but businessmen that knows the game of consumption. Its all about how you play the game, ripping people off only goes so far. Give a man a fish, he'll be fed for a day... so capitalize that fish for what's its worth.

Also, I would also have to argue that not a lot of greedy people are wealthy. Greed is the desire to acquire wealth while wealth is the status of how much you have. You can say, however, that a lot of wealthy people are greedy due to their desire to want more.

on topic, does wealth=greed? No, Greed is merely the desire, wealth is the amount; one can easily be greedy and not wealthy, one could easily be wealthy and not greedy. There are ways around greed with wealth, you'll just need to know how to play the game.

There's a difference between greed and AMBITION.

I absolutely don't mind people being ambitious. It shows they have initiative and that they have a potential to do great things with the wealth they acquire. Acquiring wealth for wealth's sake is a waste of your talents if you're really ambitious and not just a greedball.

Vestr-Norig wrote:Rich people should be taxed MUCH more than they do. I believe, that nobody really should own that much money, and have a too big boat, house, etc. I believe resources should be much more equaly shared than it is in any nation today.

How big of a boat is too big?

Who decides how big I can make my house, if I build myself a house that is too big do you have the right to tear it down, in the name of fairness?

Well, if your house is so big your neighbor falls off the cliff off this island of hypothesis... Yeah, that might be a problem.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:11 am

Vestr-Norig wrote:I do not wan't a huge, fancy house. I do not want a large boat. I do not wan't a limo. So no, I am not jealous. I am happy for what I have, which is not little, but not too much either. I believe that there are too many poor people in society (or the society in itself) could use the money much better. There is no reason for getting ridiciouly rich.

So what? Why does that matter?

And their is more in env then just desiring that which others have.

It is also often just feeling because someone else posses/controls that which you do not have or can't have.

You simply cannot stand people being richer then the average Joe: That is why you propose excessive taxation so they have the same standard of living as them.

That is jealousy.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:12 am

Volnotova wrote:
Vestr-Norig wrote:I do not wan't a huge, fancy house. I do not want a large boat. I do not wan't a limo. So no, I am not jealous. I am happy for what I have, which is not little, but not too much either. I believe that there are too many poor people in society (or the society in itself) could use the money much better. There is no reason for getting ridiciouly rich.

It is also often just feeling because someone else posses/controls that which you do not have or can't have.

You simply cannot stand people being richer then the average Joe: That is why you propose excessive taxation so they have the same standard of living as them.

That is jealousy.

I have to agree with the rich people lovers on this one.

I think you have mixed motivations for why people shouldn't be rich, Vestr-Norig

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:15 am

Volnotova wrote:You simply cannot stand people being richer then the average Joe: That is why you propose excessive taxation so they have the same standard of living as them.

listen, I want all your money because I want to spend it on a probe to Europa, so we can find out of there's life there. I believe that leveling everyone is the only way to accomplish this. Unless it's as rewards specifically used to motivate, then I don't give a shit. We should use this method to accomplish the manufacturing of bunkers. Lots and lots of bunkers with storage for products. Then we'll hollow out the Earth.

Iron Chariots
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Chariots » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:15 am

Volnotova wrote:

That is jealousy.

What about those who don't mind some people being richer than others, don't particularly envy what the rich have, but think that there's a problem in a society where some people have multiple private jets and other people have to dig through garbage to get enough food to survive?
Political Compass

Siorafrica
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siorafrica » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:19 am

When someone gets a bit of something they like they'll keep wanting more and more. Wealthy people are more likely to be greedy therefore but won't be the only ones who are greedy.
NSG Thread Wheel;give it a spin and watch the trainwreck begin. http://cheezburger.com/View/5084656640
A doubleplusgood guide to NSpeak. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16895
Population of NationStates. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138705479531836
Yes by and large NSG for the most part absolutely has nothing but utter unadulterated contempt for religion and those who dare express it openly.-Skibereen
Oi with the arguing in circles over the same tired old topic yet again, and the trolling one another on either side with 'who is a real Christian' and 'why your logic sucks'. How about we put this one to bed again. It's going nowhere. You aren't going to change anyone's minds. Stick a fork in it kids - it's done.-Dread Lady Nathanica

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:20 am

Red Indus wrote:
Volnotova wrote:You simply cannot stand people being richer then the average Joe: That is why you propose excessive taxation so they have the same standard of living as them.

listen, I want all your money because I want to spend it on a probe to Europa, so we can find out of there's life there. I believe that leveling everyone is the only way to accomplish this. Unless it's as rewards specifically used to motivate, then I don't give a shit. We should use this method to accomplish the manufacturing of bunkers. Lots and lots of bunkers with storage for products. Then we'll hollow out the Earth.

Make sure to let everyone dig with spoons else you might cause unemployment.

*nods*

Iron Chariots wrote:What about those who don't mind some people being richer than others, don't particularly envy what the rich have, but think that there's a problem in a society where some people have multiple private jets and other people have to dig through garbage to get enough food to survive?

Doesn't really appear to me as a question, as those people exist.

I just tend to have a problem with those that attempt to morally justify their own jealousy of those people that are wealthier or are more succesful then themselves.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Zanarkenisia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanarkenisia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:21 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Terbizond wrote:Wealth is a wonderful thing, as long as everybody has it....

I think you're misunderstanding something there...

^THe Russia guy id Right, if resources were distrubuted evenly throughout the whole planet, everyone would be poor.
Hell, even in the "little red bible" Marx acknowledges that perfect equality would equal poverty.

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:22 am

Volnotova wrote:Make sure to let everyone dig with spoons else you might cause unemployment.

oh god no everyone will farm and manufacture and dig, and the rest will make probe to Europa. Absolutely no unemployment.

Vestr-Norig
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vestr-Norig » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:23 am

Volnotova wrote:

That is jealousy.

I am not against people getting rich if they really have earned their money; if they really have worked hard and long for it. But in fact, this is not how society works at all. Only directors, laywers, highly respected politicians, capitalists(!), and other "important people" get really rich. I won't say that they work harder, rather the opposite, than for example farmers, miners, fabric workers, carpenters, nurses, etc. Yet, it is the first mentioned jobs that makes an awful lot of money. I do not see this as fair at all, and therefore I am against people getting filthy rish.
Last edited by Vestr-Norig on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Centre-left --

Iron Chariots
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Chariots » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:23 am

Volnotova wrote:
Red Indus wrote:listen, I want all your money because I want to spend it on a probe to Europa, so we can find out of there's life there. I believe that leveling everyone is the only way to accomplish this. Unless it's as rewards specifically used to motivate, then I don't give a shit. We should use this method to accomplish the manufacturing of bunkers. Lots and lots of bunkers with storage for products. Then we'll hollow out the Earth.

Make sure to let everyone dig with spoons else you might cause unemployment.

*nods*

Iron Chariots wrote:What about those who don't mind some people being richer than others, don't particularly envy what the rich have, but think that there's a problem in a society where some people have multiple private jets and other people have to dig through garbage to get enough food to survive?

Doesn't really appear to me as a question, as those people exist.

I just tend to have a problem with those that attempt to morally justify their own jealousy of those people that are wealthier or are more succesful then themselves.

Oh I thought

That is jealousy.

was aimed at people in favor of more progressive taxation in general, so I took exception with the statement.
Political Compass

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:25 am

Vestr-Norig wrote:
The Merchant Republics wrote:How big of a boat is too big?

Why should you have a ridiciously big house and boat, while your neighbour lives in a shack and have no boat?

Because I built them both. No, not directly of course, but because I helped the shipwright once, he volunteered to build me a boat and because I helped a few construction workers with some problems they had, they generously agreed to help me build my house.

So why should my neighbour who hasn't done anything to help the shipwright nor any of the construction workers, be entitled to anything that I have? Why should the shipwright have to make a boat for him, if my neighbour has never said a kind word to the man. Why should the construction workers be forced to build him a house if the only thing my neighbours ever done for them is breathe their air.

Much more importantly, why should I tear down my nice home and scuttle my nice boat just because my neighbour is an unhelpful prick?
Last edited by The Merchant Republics on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:30 am

Vestr-Norig wrote:I am not against people getting rich if they really have earned their money; if they really work hard and long for it. But in fact, this is not how society works at all. Only directors, laywers, highly respected politicians, capitalists(!), and other "important people" get really rich. I won't say that they work harder than, rather the opposite, of for example farmers, miners, fabric workers, carpenters, nurses, etc. Yet, it is the first mentioned that make an awful lot of money. I do not see this as fait at all, and therefore I am against people getting filthy rish.

They have earned their money, and they do work, hard. I don't know about you, but being a CEO, a lawyer, an entrepeneur, an industrialist or an investor is anything but about just sitting on your butt and letting others do the work.

Also, they have the brains to take such jobs and are investors which help society quite a bit.

By investing in businesses and companies they create jobs, by paying taxes they make sure people like you can have universal healthcare and that the government of which you are a citizen of can spend millions on farm subisidies and other economic whirlpools.

And being against people getting "filthy" rich? They have earned that money(except of course in case a huge inheritance was laying around).

Again, this is mere jealousy.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:30 am

Haters gonna hate on the rich because they wish they were rich themselves. Not many people turn away money, give a lower-class socialist a million dollars he will turn into a capitalist pretty fast.
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:32 am

Vestr-Norig wrote:Why should you have a ridiciously big house and boat, while your neighbour lives in a shack and have no boat?

Because I built them both. No, not directly of course, but because I helped the shipwright once, he volunteered to build me a boat and because I helped a few construction workers with some problems they had, they generously agreed to help me build my house.

So why should my neighbour who hasn't done anything to help the shipwright nor any of the construction workers, be entitled to anything that I have? Why should the shipwright have to make a boat for him, if my neighbour has never said a kind word to the man. Why should the construction workers be forced to build him a house if the only thing my neighbours ever done for them is breathe their air.

Much more importantly, why should I tear down my nice home and scuttle my nice boat just because my neighbour is an unhelpful prick?

Well, shit, I didn't realize the world now revolves around the rich guy simply because he has so much damn money.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:32 am

The Merchant Republics wrote:-

yeah but what if you were both made farmers? and I yelled encouraging things at you all day? if you farm better then the other guy you can take my place. then I'll put on some fucking crown.

Vestr-Norig
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vestr-Norig » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:33 am

Vestr-Norig wrote:Why should you have a ridiciously big house and boat, while your neighbour lives in a shack and have no boat?

As I said, your neighbour do not necasarilly have done nothing for what he have. He might be a poor farmer, struggeling for survival, but do not earn nearly anything, because of his "low-status job". How is it fair, that you, either you being a lawyer, director or any job of "importance", should have such a large house and luxurious boat compared to you hard-working neighbour?
Last edited by Vestr-Norig on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
-- Centre-left --

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:34 am

North Calaveras wrote:Haters gonna hate on the rich because they wish they were rich themselves. Not many people turn away money, give a lower-class socialist a million dollars he will turn into a capitalist pretty fast.

that's bullshit I would use the money for... .... promoting affordable housing.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:38 am

:lol:
Red Indus wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:Haters gonna hate on the rich because they wish they were rich themselves. Not many people turn away money, give a lower-class socialist a million dollars he will turn into a capitalist pretty fast.

that's bullshit I would use the money for... .... promoting affordable housing.

:lol:
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:38 am

The Merchant Republics wrote:A cousin of mine pulls down a +$500,000 income (he owns a chain of industrial bakeries in Ontario) he donates 90% of his income after tax to charity, he lives comfortably and he has his pet comforts but I'd say he's the furthest thing from greedy out there.

Now that's an exceptional case but the simple fact is that many earn far more money then they'd ever have use for unless they gave generously to charity.

But I'll get more to the point, does getting rich require you to be greedy? The answer is simply no. As anyone whose ever been in business will tell you, you don't make money by being greedy you make it by giving people the best deal possible, the highest quality for the lowest price. The rich in order to become rich must work to the benefit of their society.

This. There is no better way to put it.

Being greedy in the business world, tends to kill your business.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:39 am

uh huh it's good for everyone. they you don't get stuck with so much rent.

Zanarkenisia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanarkenisia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:39 am

Vestr-Norig wrote:
The Merchant Republics wrote:Because I built them both. No, not directly of course, but because I helped the shipwright once, he volunteered to build me a boat and because I helped a few construction workers with some problems they had, they generously agreed to help me build my house.

As I said, your neighbour do not necasarilly have done nothing for what he have. He might be a poor farmer, struggeling for survival, but do not earn nearly anything, because of his "low-status job". How is it fair, that you, either you being a lawyer, director or any job of "importance", should have such a large house and luxurious boat compared to you hard-working neighbour?

Because their more people willing to not do the hard mental work in favor of physical labor. Lawyers are hard working as well, just in a different way.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General