NATION

PASSWORD

Does wealth equal to greed?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Red Indus wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:You said money grubbers result in no rockets, i provided a private group that does just that.

I don't giva shit about cargo transport I want a Europa landing.

There is no deman, capitalism prospers on demand. If no one gives a shit about europa then private enterprise won't invest in it.
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Volnotova wrote:I was thinking abuot more then just salaries if that is what you are insinuating.

direct the spending through a national committee. form it privately. no government necessary. then everyone knows what happens with the money.

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:47 pm

North Calaveras wrote:There is no deman, capitalism prospers on demand. If no one gives a shit about europa then private enterprise won't invest in it.

make political will instead, then you do it with taxes

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Red Indus wrote:
Volnotova wrote:He also claims that somehow those that are rich are not entitled to what they have earned.

some rich get many times over what they earn

Literally false.

The rich earn what they get, by virtue of the fact that they got it. Provided they did so legitimately.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Red Indus wrote:
Volnotova wrote:I was thinking abuot more then just salaries if that is what you are insinuating.

direct the spending through a national committee. form it privately. no government necessary. then everyone knows what happens with the money.

Uh, please elaborate.

Are you suggesting to spend amounts of money that are large enough trough a privately formed and owned national committee?

Why would one do that?
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Icamera
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Of course wealth =/= greed. See: Buffett, Warren Edward and Gates, William Henry.
Senator of The Allied Republics
ICK-uh-MARE-uh (It's an anagram of America, not an Apple product)
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Red Indus wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:There is no deman, capitalism prospers on demand. If no one gives a shit about europa then private enterprise won't invest in it.

so force everyone to pay for something only you(government) wants to get done?
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Volnotova wrote:Are you suggesting to spend amounts of money that are large enough trough a privately formed and owned national committee?

Why would one do that?

broadcasted transparency
Last edited by Red Indus on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:50 pm

North Calaveras wrote:so force everyone to pay for something only you(government) wants to get done?

only for space rocket

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Red Indus wrote:

Then it still doesn't come from investors becaues they feel like investors.

Then it is simply payed for trough the use of coercive taxation apparatus of the state.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Red Indus wrote:
Volnotova wrote:Are you suggesting to spend amounts of money that are large enough trough a privately formed and owned national committee?

Why would one do that?

transparency

If it benefits them then why does such a committee exist already?

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Volnotova wrote:Then it still doesn't come from investors becaues they feel like investors.

Then it is simply payed for trough the use of coercive taxation apparatus of the state.

I'm sure you can involve investors

Wisconsin7
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin7 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Yes, it does. People inherit wealth from their parents. They then finance the campaigns of Republicans, so that they can get tax breaks pushed through, and bankrupt the country. They also have education cut so that the voters become idiots, and vote for Republicans because they're better at pandering. Thus, the rich get richer, the voters get dumber, and everyone EXCEPT the rich gets stuck with the bill.
R.I.P. 1000 Cats

I am a straight 14 year old male atheistic Communist vegan loner. If you have a problem with any of this, I only request that you stay the fuck away from me. If you have questions about atheism or Communism, ask someone else, because there's a 99% chance they can explain it better. If you have questions about veganism, or are yourself a vegan, send me a TG, because I fear that I am the only one on NSG.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
Night will fall and drown in sun
When a good man goes to war

Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and the dark will rise
When a good man goes to war

Demons run, but count the cost
The battle's won, but the child is lost

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:51 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
1.) This is OUR scenario now, rich boy. :lol:

2.) Mr. Poor probably doesn't want anything because he already had everything from the start: his friends, his family, and his land. When life took away the family part and you took away the friends part, he can't afford to give you anything except his land, and any gift you give him will be a futile attempt at courtesy: what do you give the man who already had everything? A boat? A bigger house? Unless the scenario is a futuristic place where they've perfected cloning and regressive aging, and you can buy him his family back, Mr. Poor has only contempt for you.

The point I'M trying to make is that economics is more than just a game of numbers: it's a social, psychological, ethical, and cultural game as well. The poor aren't poor because they WANT to be poor. Unless Mr. Rich wants to play the updated version of the game that might just compromise a bit of his property rights, the people around him will suffer. And then, the only gift Mr. Rich will get is a bunch of protestors outside his house.

My own update:

3.) Mr. Poor was pretty fine until Mr. Rich built his giant mansion. You gulp up the resources, others can't adapt, shit starts to happen, people start to starve and get unhappy.

On another note: I don't like to stereotype. If you'll remember, I'm not Mr. Rich. I'm the guy in the shack. Do you really subscribe to this Darwinian survival schtick?

Economics is not a zero sum game.

Mr. Rich does not hurt Mr. Poor by having a big house, the resources in his home and boat were unused before and are used now. Mr. Poor and Mr. Rich were once both living in shacks.

I'm not arguing for social darwinism, but if someone forces a poor man unto my island society, I will explain how he got there by refusing to help others. Mr. Poor in the optimal version of this island would be living comfortably too, because even though he has only a small amount of time to spare, he uses it to his maximum advantage due to the things like Mr. Poor by borrowing Mr. Rich's tractor, and running errands using a car he got from Mr. Boatsmith's cousin. He lives a better life, he doesn't have as big a house, but he's happy, and so is Mr. Rich.

Mr. Poor didn't use ALL the resources because he didn't NEED to. He doesn't need a big house and a big boat, he doesn't need a tractor, and he doesn't need any of these things. He was OK with the things he had.

Once Mr. Rich came, the resources dried up building his house. All of a sudden, the things that were in abundance all of a sudden dissapear. Resources are NOT infinite.

This is my problem: our society is NOT optimal in the least. It's not even operating at MINIMUM capacity. Why? Resources are starting to dry up all over. Land, water, the things that were once free, are now commodities. The rich are REFUSING to adapt, whereas the poor WISH they could, but they CAN'T because the rich want more, more, more out of them and the poor can't keep up because they're human and not machines who can produce constant results for cheaper for them in order to continue expanding.

And another issue that's come up: where did Mr. Boathouse come from? If he's from China, then it just brings ANOTHER issue around full circle.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Volnotova wrote:If it benefits them then why does such a committee exist already?

it would benefit the country

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Red Indus wrote:
Volnotova wrote:He also claims that somehow those that are rich are not entitled to what they have earned.

some rich get many times over what they earn

How?
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Plectia
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Plectia » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Yes and especially in the us's case.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Red Indus wrote:
Volnotova wrote:If it benefits them then why does such a committee exist already?

it would benefit the country

Then how would you get politicians or investors/entrepeneurs/business men and woman to form such a committee anyway?

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Sibirsky wrote:How?

even if I run a company how does that account for making hundred or even twenty times more then even the board
a little more sure
Last edited by Red Indus on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:James J Hill did.

He gave out very charitable (sometimes interest free) loans and rock bottom rates for the use of his railway to struggling farmers and lumberjacks all across the American Midwest, loans that returned thousand-fold when they started making money again. And he got all their freight traffic.

That's exactly how the Mafia and the de Medici secured their success. ;)

And OP.... are supposed to assume that greed is bad? If so, why?
Last edited by Distruzio on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Red Indus wrote:some rich get many times over what they earn

How?

Well, shit, Sib, you just said yourself they used the busted-up state to their advantage.

As nice as abolishing the state sounds, they still did the things they did.

And before you say "it's because of the state", I'll also bring up another fact you also brought up: not all rich people rip others off. In other words, abolishing the state will do nothing because the presence and the flaws of the state don't mean you should break the law and rip people off.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Wisconsin7 wrote:Yes, it does. People inherit wealth from their parents. They then finance the campaigns of Republicans, so that they can get tax breaks pushed through, and bankrupt the country. They also have education cut so that the voters become idiots, and vote for Republicans because they're better at pandering. Thus, the rich get richer, the voters get dumber, and everyone EXCEPT the rich gets stuck with the bill.

Most wealthy individuals did not inherit it.

The rich did not bankrupt the country. Weak, pathetic and ignorant politicians did.

The rich, pay the overwhelming majority of taxes.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Red Indus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Indus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Volnotova wrote:Then how would you get politicians or investors/entrepeneurs/business men and woman to form such a committee anyway?

why don't the rich you keep talking about form it themselves, I thought they didn't want the government involved. why don't they replace the government that way in fact.
Last edited by Red Indus on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Terbizond wrote:Wealth is a wonderful thing, as long as everybody has it....

:rofl:

I love comments like this.

Honestly, if the wealth were evenly distributed, then you'd not have your computer b/c it involved the usage of resources more morally allocated to some starving indian children or something.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Red Indus wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:How?

even if I run a company how does that account for making hundred or even twenty times more then even the board
a little more sure

That was the negotiated wage?

I fail to see how it is possible to get more what you earn.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General