NATION

PASSWORD

How do you feel about Rape Jokes?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you find rape jokes funny?

Yes.
24%
No.
24%
It depends.
50%
No opinion.
2%

Total votes : 206

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:56 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:And I find people justifying laughter at rape with "It depends on the execution and quality of the joke" equally disingenuous. It's l ike starting a sentence with "I'm not a racist, but ..."

How so? I don't find rape to be significantly worse than murder jokes, and I laugh at jokes involving death all the time.

Rape jokes tend to be considerably less funny because there's a pretty decent chance that someone listening was raped. Not many people who listen to murder jokes were murdered. Likewise, you might think twice about telling a Holocaust joke around someone who had actually been through the ordeal.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:13 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:How so? I don't find rape to be significantly worse than murder jokes, and I laugh at jokes involving death all the time.

Rape jokes tend to be considerably less funny because there's a pretty decent chance that someone listening was raped. Not many people who listen to murder jokes were murdered. Likewise, you might think twice about telling a Holocaust joke around someone who had actually been through the ordeal.

I disagree entirely with the underlined part, good sir.
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:14 pm

Jagalonia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Rape jokes tend to be considerably less funny because there's a pretty decent chance that someone listening was raped. Not many people who listen to murder jokes were murdered. Likewise, you might think twice about telling a Holocaust joke around someone who had actually been through the ordeal.

I got better.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Jagalonia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Rape jokes tend to be considerably less funny because there's a pretty decent chance that someone listening was raped. Not many people who listen to murder jokes were murdered. Likewise, you might think twice about telling a Holocaust joke around someone who had actually been through the ordeal.

You don't say?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Kamelis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamelis » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:18 pm

It depends. If it's something like

"a dood was talking to his gf and aksed her if tehy wanted to do it. she sed no and he sed i wasnt aksing lol"

Then no.

JJ Place
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JJ Place » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Rape's a terrible crime, an atrocity that destroys lives. That being said, rape jokes can be hilarious; a good joke is always worth a laugh.

Conserative Morality wrote:I find them funny sometimes. Depends on the execution.

An attorney got home late one evening after a very taxing day trying to get a stay of execution for his client, Wilbur Wright, who was due to be hanged for murder at midnight. His last minute plea for clemency to the state governor had failed and he was feeling tired and depressed.
As soon as he got through the door, his wife started on about, "What time of night do you call this? Where the hell have you been?" and so on. Too shattered to play his usual role in this familiar ritual, he went and poured himself a very large whisky and headed off to the bathroom for a long hot soak - pursued by the predictable sarcastic remarks.
While he was in the bath the phone rang. His wife answered and was told that her husband's client had been granted his stay of execution after all. Realizing what a day he must have had, she relented a little and went upstairs to give him the good news.
As she opened the bathroom door she was greeted by the sight of her husband's rear view as he bent naked over the bath cleaning the tub.
"They're not hanging Wright tonight," she said, at which the attorney whirled round and screamed hysterically, "For crying out loud, woman, don't you ever stop?"
The price of cheese is eternal Vignotte.

Allemonde
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Allemonde » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:18 pm

An old Georgia Tech joke book had one about a dozen UGA football players, I thought it was funny but today meh probaly not.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Tell me this isn't funny.

Because I openly discriminate against furries and find next nothing involving them or their anthropomorphisms to be funny.

But I'm sure some people find it funny.

Not a fan of Darkwing Duck or Pinky and the Brain, I take it?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:23 pm

The Nuclear Fist wrote:Depends on the joke. If it's well told, and has a decent punchline, I don't mind laughing at rape jokes.

Bad jokes are bad jokes whether they are about the Republican party, or rape.

Funny jokes are still funny, whether they are about the Republican party, or rape.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Veblenia
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Veblenia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:42 pm

The Nuclear Fist wrote:
Veblenia wrote:Not funny. Ever.

Why do you think that?

Because I know rape survivors, and I have seen the toll it has taken on them. I've also come to realize how epidemic sexual violence is. It's not. Funny. Ever.
Political Compass: -6.62, -7.69
"Freedom is a horizon in which we continually re-negotiate the terms of our own subjugation."
- Michel Foucault

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:45 pm

Yes, and I frequently make them to friends of mine (males and females), along with racist jokes, Holocaust/genocide jokes, sexist jokes, and jokes on general douchebaggery (/myObjectivism).

If someone doesn't have a humor to take it, then they don't have the humor to be one of my friends, really.
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:50 pm

All kinds of jokes are fair game so yes.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:52 pm

Augarundus wrote:Yes, and I frequently make them to friends of mine (males and females), along with racist jokes, Holocaust/genocide jokes, sexist jokes, and jokes on general douchebaggery (/myObjectivism).

If someone doesn't have a humor to take it, then they don't have the humor to be one of my friends, really.

I think I would seriously reconsider being friends with someone who thinks rape jokes are funny.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:52 pm

The only rape joke that I've ever found funny is "What do 9 out of 10 people enjoy? Gang rape." and I didn't find it funny because of the rape per se but rather because of the black comedy aspect. One of the problems with many rape jokes is that they have no substance. They're just "LOL I shocked you by mentioning rape!" That's not really all that funny, unless you find shock humor funny or, more sickeningly, you find rape to be inherently funny.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:The only rape joke that I've ever found funny is "What do 9 out of 10 people enjoy? Gang rape." and I didn't find it funny because of the rape per se but rather because of the black comedy aspect. One of the problems with many rape jokes is that they have no substance. They're just "LOL I shocked you by mentioning rape!" That's not really all that funny, unless you find shock humor funny or, more sickeningly, you find rape to be inherently funny.

The black comedy aspect kinda comes from the rape.

I thought that one South Park episode where Mr. Garrison visited his dad was funny, that and the Bo Burnham song I mentioned earlier in the thread. However, rape isn't funny, and I don't like the social implications of rape jokes.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Augarundus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:I would seriously reconsider

Chloroform can easily stop that.
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Augarundus wrote:Yes, and I frequently make them to friends of mine (males and females), along with racist jokes, Holocaust/genocide jokes, sexist jokes, and jokes on general douchebaggery (/myObjectivism).

I think I would seriously reconsider being friends with someone who thinks rape jokes are funny.

I think I wouldn't be friends in the first place, with someone who openly professed to believe every human being but himself, to be worthless to him.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Augarundus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:25 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:I think I wouldn't be friends in the first place, with someone who openly professed to believe every human being but himself, to be worthless to him.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Augarundus wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I think I wouldn't be friends in the first place, with someone who openly professed to believe every human being but himself, to be worthless to him.

We're not arguing, so your point is pointless.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Augarundus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:56 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote: your point is pointless.

lol statement^

When you said:
openly professed to believe every human being but himself, to be worthless to him.

It was a massive strawman; this has literally nothing to do with my philosophy; it isn't what I profess, and I'm not a sociopath.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Augarundus wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote: your point is pointless.

lol statement^

When you said:
openly professed to believe every human being but himself, to be worthless to him.

It was a massive strawman; this has literally nothing to do with my philosophy; it isn't what I profess, and I'm not a sociopath.

Not clinically. That is ethical egoism, though. It advocates total disregard for others in pursuit of one's own satisfaction.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Augarundus wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I would seriously reconsider

Chloroform can easily stop that.

this is terrible

i smiled
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

Augarundus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:14 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:Not clinically. That is ethical egoism, though. It advocates total disregard for others in pursuit of one's own satisfaction.

:palm:

No, egoism doesn't advocate a disregard for others. Egoism is a philosophy which advocates a love for others based on a perception of their value; whether that be their utility (I value an individual for his/her ability to perform work that brings me pleasure; factory labor, academic partner, sexual partner, investment, etc.) or their virtues (I value that individual for his/her characteristics; their humor, compassion, intellect, etc. brings me comfort).

Egoism does NOT advocate a disregard for others; instead, a selfish love. I do not love others for their sake, but for my own happiness. I do not love my friends, family, or wife/girlfriend (assume I didn't just make a joke about chloroform) for their sake; I don't profess to love them out of pity. To do so would express a hatred towards them (they are unvirtuous yet still deserving of my love) and myself (I am obligated to love the unvirtuous). That is a disgusting ethical paradigm that dictates man reject any perception of value or self-esteem and, instead, subordinate his own existence and love of self to a pity of the other.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:17 pm

The Soviet Technocracy wrote:this is terrible

i smiled

What's white on top and black on the bottom?
Society

What's black on top and white on the bottom?
Rape

I'm an awful person, but even mods will admit that one (though I confess that, unlike chloroform joke, I didn't make it up) was funny.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:19 pm

If it involves a reference to prison then it is ok.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General