NATION

PASSWORD

Spiders

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Spiders

Are cute, I really like them!
25%
Are kind of gross, but I tolerate most types.
37%
Are horrifying and I fear them. :S
27%
Other
12%

Total votes : 120

Sailsia
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Spiders

Postby Sailsia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:40 pm

...are f*#king freaky. At least that's what I think. There's one stuck in the light fixture over my bed so I'm leaving my light on until it dies. I have a massive phobia of bugs, I've lost sleep over the thought of them.

What do you think of spiders?

(please note I am specifically asking that no one post pictures of bugs/spiders in this thread)
RIP RON PAUL
Author of the U.S. Constitution
July 4, 1776 - September 11, 2001

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Definitely agree, and I second the note on kindly no pictures, haha. Mind, I don't really care that much about smaller spiders (which are mercifully all we get for the most part), but the bigger ones (say, 4cm or more), nothx.
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

Norstal wrote:You are a hatiater: one who radiates hate.

Meryuma wrote:No one is more of a cat person than 1000 Cats!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.
Factbook/Q&A | RP | Conlang | Short Story

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:43 pm

i like spiders, they eat mosquitos and gnats.

Plus, they are pretty cool. they will crawl right up on ya and wander across your palms like a mealworm :)
I am me, the one and only. I am the whistling in the wind, the voice in your ear.

I am the eye in the sky, the knife in your back. I am always around, but do not fear. your time will come, as does all.

Disco Tetris
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Disco Tetris » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:46 pm

I appreciate their usefulness, but hate them.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:47 pm

I like spiders. Around here, they do a pretty good job of keeping the mosquito population in tow. Plus, normally all we get are the harmless daddy-long-legs and wolf spiders with the occasional black widow, so they're nothing to be afraid of, really. If there's anything I hate with a burning passion in the insect/arachnid family, though, it's wasps. Hate them hate them hate them.

Candain
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Candain » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:48 pm

the only thing we have to fear is fear its self and spiders 8)

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Spiders are so cute.

Don't you want to hug it?
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Uawc
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Spiders are natural pesticides. They eat many insects and other creatures which cause health problems for humans in one way or another, like mice and mosquitoes. Humanity needs spiders.
Last edited by Uawc on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro-democracy, pro-NATO, anti-authoritarian, anti-extremism.
Ex-leftist and ex-Muslim.

I stand with Ukraine and Israel.

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:51 pm

Olthar wrote:Spiders are so cute.

Don't you want to hug it?

color it brown and youd have my pet tarantula

he looks at me with that same funny face :)
I am me, the one and only. I am the whistling in the wind, the voice in your ear.

I am the eye in the sky, the knife in your back. I am always around, but do not fear. your time will come, as does all.

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Avenio wrote:I like spiders. Around here, they do a pretty good job of keeping the mosquito population in tow. Plus, normally all we get are the harmless daddy-long-legs and wolf spiders with the occasional black widow, so they're nothing to be afraid of, really. If there's anything I hate with a burning passion in the insect/arachnid family, though, it's wasps. Hate them hate them hate them.

Wasps dont tend to sting you if you dont freak out or harm them. Try and calm down next time you see a few of them buzzing by

Imperium Nova Roma
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Nova Roma » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm not really scared of spiders unless they're freaky colored or they get a jump on me. The ones around here are mostly harmless.

Now...COCK ROACHES, CCCOOOCCKK ROACHES, MY MORTAL ENEMY, HOW THEY FESTER AND CLIMB ALONG MY HOME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, CCCOOOCCCK RROOOAACCCHHEESSSS!
Roman Catholic Italian American, all four grandparents emigrated from Italy. Honorably Discharged Marine, one tour in Afghanistan and one in Iraq. Motorcycle Enthusiast, Neo Conservative. -True Racist, Ask me anything-

'Cause we are the Ku Klux Klan. We're rollin' through your hood like the Taliban

The Basset Warriors
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Basset Warriors » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:54 pm

NO! They terrify me!

Marcheria
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcheria » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Meh. I admit, they're not the prettiest, but I don't mind spiders. I've accepted the fact that they're not deliberately going to hurt me, they're all just little guys trying to get by in the world. Aren't we all?

(Feel free to use that as a pick up line :D )
I'm BACK after a long absence! New sig to come.

United Mercenary Firms
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby United Mercenary Firms » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:56 pm

I do recall the time I was hiking through the dense jungle, machete in one hand, pith helmet in the other, and just when I had decided that leeches were the worst calamity to ever before man I saw an enormous spider the size of a an extremely large hamburger just a few metres away.

Of course, at that moment I promptly changed my mind. That same occasion, I was to see millipedes that grew as long as snakes. When others ridiculed me for my "exaggerated" reports of the wildlife I saw on that trip, I countered that if they did not believe me they should go and see it for themselves.

The third-rate hotel room I stayed in at that time was also infested with gigantic spiders. There were so many crowded over the light fixture I assumed it was part of a fancy design at first. You could not walk to the door without stepping on a spider.

In my opinion, however, the enormous ones were nothing compared to the sacs of spider eggs I saw hanging from branches of trees. They looked like pieces of fruit, or beehives. When one of them was knocked to the ground, thousands, perhaps millions of tiny red spiders would go crawling over everything in the vicinity like an ocean wave crashing onto a beach. And if you were to ever fall into that massive colony of blood-red creatures.... :?

Let's just say that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull's killer ants won't seem that far-fetched anymore.
Last edited by United Mercenary Firms on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private Military Contractors are not heroes; we are businessmen. I am one -- and I do it for the money - nothing else. The only loyalty I have is to those fellow contractors whom I serve with and work for and I do not work for any other country but my own. That's it. Do we do risky heroic stuff daily? You bet! But if the paycheck stopped I would move on. Soldiers are the heroes. I was one and they sent me where they wanted and when for chicken feed. Now I get to choose.
--Best Comment ever.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Anything that moves far faster than its size indicates freaks me out, including spiders, cockroaches, mice and midget clowns.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Solestum
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Solestum » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:57 pm

I acknowledge their place and their, admittedly, important job of killing more things that I hate, but spiders that are capable of eating birds or killing me in a single bite are crossing the line.

Also, Daddy Long Legs are scary as all hell.
.:The sun shines upon all men, under the glorious eyes of the State:.

May it be a half hour in heaven, before the devil knows we're dead.

Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.77

Wazkyraque
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wazkyraque » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:58 pm

I love Them

...I hate when they are in the house, not eating the mosquitos.
"Everything takes time. Bees have to move very fast to stay still."

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:58 pm

Sailsia wrote:I have a massive phobia of bugs...

You do realise that the term 'bug' actually means beetles with beak-like mouths, right?
Anyway, spiders are fascinating and beautiful. The way they can weave such beautiful webs without a second thought...
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:00 pm

i think everyone who is afraid of spiders should get a defanged tarantula for a pet.

itll show you how harmless they are

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:00 pm

The Basset Warriors wrote:NO! They terrify me!

Aw, come on. They're really cute.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:00 pm

I usually like them. I don't like ones that leap (wolf spiders and the like), but otherwise I ignore them or encourage them. In fact, there are usually a few pretty orb weavers in my gardens. Not only do they look good, but they eat bugs I like less.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:01 pm

The Warrior Hearted wrote:i think everyone who is afraid of spiders should get a defanged tarantula for a pet.

itll show you how harmless they are

I really want to get one at some point.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Seriously though, fuck spiders. When I still lived at home I had some living in my room. Never saw them, but I knew they were there because every morning I'd wake up with at least one new spider bite...

*shudders*
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
The Kitsune Empire of Xiscapia's FT Factbook (V2.5)
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:02 pm

The Warrior Hearted wrote:Wasps dont tend to sting you if you dont freak out or harm them. Try and calm down next time you see a few of them buzzing by

It's not really the ones that fly around that freak me out, it's the sand wasps. They make their burrows underground, oftentimes hidden by bushes or dry grass. They're also highly territorial, and do not like it one bit if you step near their nest. So you may be walking along and all of a sudden come across several angry wasps not just buzzing around, but actively dive-bombing you almost out of nowhere.

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Avenio wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote:Wasps dont tend to sting you if you dont freak out or harm them. Try and calm down next time you see a few of them buzzing by

It's not really the ones that fly around that freak me out, it's the sand wasps. They make their burrows underground, oftentimes hidden by bushes or dry grass. They're also highly territorial, and do not like it one bit if you step near their nest. So you may be walking along and all of a sudden come across several angry wasps not just buzzing around, but actively dive-bombing you almost out of nowhere.

never had to deal with those so i cant really say i know what its like

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General