NATION

PASSWORD

Question and opinions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Robustian
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Question and opinions

Postby Robustian » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:12 am

History land wrote:Why does is seem that all the people I debate with are agianst laissez-faire capitalism.

What is the problem with that. In laissez-faire captialist society there is free market freedom. I mean we don`t need regulations. Laws agianst selling posion items are not regulations. That is a law agianst murder. Things like the FDA are not needed.

Corporations are hiding behind regulations on the time. When the goverment has oversight the corporations are going to have low quality and blame the goverment for not doing more.

With no regulations the corporations would have to make good products. Otherwise they would go out of bussiness. I mean how can you make a profit by selling a bad profit.

You don`t and any profit they made from the consumers that were tricked. They will loose that money and go out of bussiness.

Plus there would be more freedom,more prosperity I also bet there would be less or no debt.

Now the right of life is a negative liberity. It means that you have the right to keep your life and provide for your life. The goverment can not help you live.

Life Liberity and the Pursuit of Happines are all negative. Goverment is suppose to be negative, a guardian a policeman. That`s the goverment`s job to secure your rights it`s a defensive goverment a negative goverment.

Rights are Negative. They are suppose to be negative so you can provide for your self.

I'm not sure you have a full grasp of all of this. Laissez faire capitalism isn't the complete absence of any role of government. It is government being neutral to markets. For instance, being able to sue someone who sells you a vacuum cleaner that merely makes noise, and doesn't do anything, to get your money back because it was misrepresented is "market neutral". Laissez faire states do not simply allow fraud, theft, or other things which are violations of ethical business.

There are things we can make - like poisons, which are so destructive, that for protection of the public at large, their use and handling and production has to be limited. Nuclear material would be similar. There's a very broad right which every person posesses, which is to not be unreasonably harmed or put at risk, by someone else. Ignorant people playing with Strontium 90, for instance, create such a risk. Even laissez faire governments should be involved in such things.

You SHOULD be able to buy an LED, flourescent, or incandescant light, if you wish. You SHOULD be able to buy a toilet, without every aspect, including tank size, being controlled by Congress. You SHOULD be able to raise capital by selling shares in a company... and the buyers should be able to sue you criminally, for stealing from them, if you dont' do as you said you would with their capital.

I'm not sure the FDA has proven to be more help than hindrance. For the billions it costs to get a drug accepted, we STILL have drugs that have to be recalled. And of the drugs that DO make it, only 1 of 4 makes enough money to pay for the research and processes required. It's simply amazing any new drugs at all are created.

All together, I don't see that you fully understand what a free market is, in contrast to simple anarchy.

Surote
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Question and opinions

Postby Surote » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:43 am

We need regulation so our economy doesn't end up the way it is now cause bussiness with no rules just screw themselfs

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:51 am

History land wrote:What rational human being not buy Good food. Even the lowest income earner would buy good food. Besides rational individual`s would buy the good food from the Do-it right Butcher. Making the other butchers provide quality meat

This proves you don't know what the fuck you're talking about in the least. The rational individual does not seek the best. The rational individual seeks that with the least painful opportunity cost. Seriously, don't talk about economics until you've studied basic principles.
Last edited by Milks Empire on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:54 am

Its pretty simple really, a knowledge of history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilded_Age
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Depression
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaganomics

It prettymuch always causes suffering, and meltdowns...

Der Funfsten Reich
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Funfsten Reich » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:31 am

Good job Milks.
Sig removed by the mods for obtrusive non-NS advertisement.

Previous

Return to General