NATION

PASSWORD

Do you belive in God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe in God?

Yes, i am a devout follower of God.
34%
No, i don't believe in god. ( Atheist )
43%
I believe in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. ( Really exists )
5%
I believe in Aliens. ( Annunaki/Igigi )
3%
Other. ( Please State )
15%

Total votes : 895

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:38 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Not only are you 'explaining it badly', but you're talking nonsense. If there was convincing evidence of the supernatural having 'an effect on our world', it would be 'the natural'.

Not entirely, and there is such evidence. There's a reason the observable modifier is used when describing, well, any theory in physics.

Now, as to why not entirely, if it's a thing in violation of our local rules, it's not natural even when it's interacting with us.
Last edited by New Heliopolis on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Excellent Quotes:
JJ Place wrote: just because an organization tells you that them taking money from you isn't theft because they have more rights than any other organization is one of the lamest arguments a person can utilize in a debate; saying that the government can do what it likes because it writes it's own law is intellectually dishonest, and flies in the face of all reality.

Lucantis wrote:If a fat man puts you in a bag at night, don't worry I told Santa I wanted you for Christmas.

Big Water
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Do I believe in God?

Postby Big Water » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:41 am

Yes, I do. :)

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:51 am

Norstal wrote:
New Heliopolis wrote:

The only thing that's less presumptuous than affirming anything is denying something.

Sorry, what? Affirming something whilst ignoring other possibilities is more presumptuous, ignorant, and arrogant. Like I said before, you resort to god/theology explaining things that are scientific instead of using science to explain it. You can't do that.

When did I do that?

Seriously, point to the specific instance where I did that.
Excellent Quotes:
JJ Place wrote: just because an organization tells you that them taking money from you isn't theft because they have more rights than any other organization is one of the lamest arguments a person can utilize in a debate; saying that the government can do what it likes because it writes it's own law is intellectually dishonest, and flies in the face of all reality.

Lucantis wrote:If a fat man puts you in a bag at night, don't worry I told Santa I wanted you for Christmas.

Albicia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Albicia » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:55 am

Of course.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:05 am

Albicia wrote:Of course.

Why "Of course"?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:13 am

New Heliopolis wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Not only are you 'explaining it badly', but you're talking nonsense. If there was convincing evidence of the supernatural having 'an effect on our world', it would be 'the natural'.

Not entirely, and there is such evidence. There's a reason the observable modifier is used when describing, well, any theory in physics.

Now, as to why not entirely, if it's a thing in violation of our local rules, it's not natural even when it's interacting with us.

[citation needed]
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:29 am

DaWoad wrote:
New Heliopolis wrote:

[citation needed]

And given.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

In it, you'll note that observation is kind of a required step. And since there was, in fact, evidence that the universe is expanding more than it should...

Well, observation actually had to support it.
Excellent Quotes:

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:31 am

New Heliopolis wrote:
DaWoad wrote:[citation needed]

And given.

In it, you'll note that observation is kind of a required step. And since there was, in fact, evidence that the universe is expanding more than it should...

not what I wanted a citation on, though I thank you for that anyway. What I'm looking for is a source that shows something in violation of our local rules please.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:38 am

DaWoad wrote:
New Heliopolis wrote:
And given.

not what I wanted a citation on, though I thank you for that anyway. What I'm looking for is a source that shows something in violation of our local rules please.

Our ability to even observe the edges of the universe that go beyond where they should.
So...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_expansion_of_the_cosmos

To confirm that dark energy is, in fact, a presumption, and not a fact...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy
Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy...

The rest is my own theory, not an observation but a way to explain it.
Last edited by New Heliopolis on Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Excellent Quotes:

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:45 am

New Heliopolis wrote:To confirm that dark energy is, in fact, a presumption, and not a fact...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy
Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy...

A couple paragraphs down from that;

Wikipedia wrote:A recent survey of more than 200,000 galaxies appears to confirm the existence of dark energy, although the exact physics behind it remains unknown.[5][6]

Coast Land
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Coast Land » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:50 am

I believe in god, or some sort of higher force "the powers that be"

But I also believe that to each his own, in my opinion it's irrational to think that "God" favors just one group of people over another, even under the notion that "god loves everyone he just holds the chosen people on a higher bar of expectations"

On that same note I also believe it's irrational to think that everyone across history and the continents are all wrong, Christians in Europe and the middle east believe their religion to be correct and they claim they've felt god, and likewise with the world's populations of Muslims and Jews, not to mention Daoists and Buddhists and Hindus. All of these groups claim to have felt the divine in their understanding, whether it be the Abrahamic God or Nirvana or the Dao or any Deity out there.

I believe in a higher force, but I do believe that people choose to worship and understand the higher force as best they can that fits with their own lifestyle and preferences. Personally, I grew up Muslim but within the last year or two I've finally come to terms that I'm a Witch at heart, but my mother is still Muslim. She's most comfortable being Muslim, I'm most comfortable being Wiccan, and my grandmother is most comfortable being Presbyterian.

To each his own
visit if you're on DA ---> http://neko-kitty-ninja.deviantart.com/

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:24 am

Avenio wrote:
New Heliopolis wrote:To confirm that dark energy is, in fact, a presumption, and not a fact...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

A couple paragraphs down from that;

Wikipedia wrote:A recent survey of more than 200,000 galaxies appears to confirm the existence of dark energy, although the exact physics behind it remains unknown.[5][6]

Checked the sources for those, am noting confirmation isn't necessarily perfect...i.e., it exists from an inference, which I made a different form of that has little to do with gravity. You'll also note that my inference has less presumptions.

What I'd really like to see, honestly, is what these processes the two scientists used were.
Last edited by New Heliopolis on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Excellent Quotes:

Outlying States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Outlying States » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 am

Coast Land wrote:I believe in god, or some sort of higher force "the powers that be"

But I also believe that to each his own, in my opinion it's irrational to think that "God" favors just one group of people over another, even under the notion that "god loves everyone he just holds the chosen people on a higher bar of expectations"

On that same note I also believe it's irrational to think that everyone across history and the continents are all wrong, Christians in Europe and the middle east believe their religion to be correct and they claim they've felt god, and likewise with the world's populations of Muslims and Jews, not to mention Daoists and Buddhists and Hindus. All of these groups claim to have felt the divine in their understanding, whether it be the Abrahamic God or Nirvana or the Dao or any Deity out there.

I believe in a higher force, but I do believe that people choose to worship and understand the higher force as best they can that fits with their own lifestyle and preferences. Personally, I grew up Muslim but within the last year or two I've finally come to terms that I'm a Witch at heart, but my mother is still Muslim. She's most comfortable being Muslim, I'm most comfortable being Wiccan, and my grandmother is most comfortable being Presbyterian.

To each his own

Hear, hear.

To each his/her own

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:32 am

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Dark matter requires virtually no alterations to physics at all. It doesn't even require an additional gauge field. All it requires is the existence of a very large amount of electrically neutral matter. Nucleosynthesis of neutron complexes can't explain it, for rather technical reasons, but it can be easily explained by adding a Z2 graded Lie-ish algebra, called a Lie superalgebra to the symmetries in the standard model. This particular superalgebra is called supersymmetry, and it's the only acceptable way to combine internal symmetries and space-time symmetries in a non-trivial way by exploiting a small loophole in the Coleman-Mandula theorem. The fact that it's the only one that does fit into the loophole, and the fact that it solves many different problems in physics makes it a very appealing addition, especially since it's incredibly simple and requires almost no change to the standard model.

Except we don't have confirmation that supersymmetry applies.
Excellent Quotes:

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:36 am

Though honestly, I'm going to have to debate my own theory now. I have my own questions. :lol:

Time for new thread. :lol:
Excellent Quotes:

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:37 am

New Heliopolis wrote:Checked the sources for those, am noting confirmation isn't necessarily perfect...i.e., it exists from an inference,

Observation, not necessarily inference. We know how dark energy would have acted in the universe if it existed, and this survey's specific goal was to look for said effects, which it found.

New Heliopolis wrote:which I made a different form of that has little to do with gravity. You'll also note that my inference has less presumptions.

No, not really. Dark energy fits in within modern cosmological views of the universe; from my understanding of it, it helps solve the problem of the missing mass at the Big Bang and could have even been the force that drove early the early inflationary event very soon after the Big Bang.

New Heliopolis wrote:What I'd really like to see, honestly, is what these processes the two scientists used were.

Ask and ye shall receive.
Last edited by Avenio on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:10 am

New Heliopolis wrote:
Norstal wrote:Sorry, what? Affirming something whilst ignoring other possibilities is more presumptuous, ignorant, and arrogant. Like I said before, you resort to god/theology explaining things that are scientific instead of using science to explain it. You can't do that.

When did I do that?

Seriously, point to the specific instance where I did that.

New Heliopolis wrote:It doesn't just do so for no reason, though. There's some reason it does. Possibly a failure in the Conservation of Energy, but...then that raises its own questions, actually more helpful to the possibility of things like the supernatural. And like I said, it's only a start. I still have to find that one writing of Kaku's that I can use as a source...

That's what you're doing. Deferring to god or the supernatural to explain scientific, physical things. You can't do that.
Last edited by Norstal on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:11 am

I am God, so yes.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:19 am

Big Jim P wrote:I am God, so yes.

*hands Big Jim a slip of paper reading, "You are the 37th player to post that statement. Thank you for your contribution."*
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Furious Grandmothers
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Furious Grandmothers » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:48 am

I created Him, so yes.
Code: Select all

Smuggar
Secretary

Founded: Sep 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Smuggar » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:04 am

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:
Dakini wrote:Bats aren't birds.

Rabbits don't chew cud.

The circumference of a circle divided by its diameter is not exactly 3.

These are just lies perpetuated by liberal 'scientists' to attempt to discredit the Holy Word of God.

Finally, someone on NSG with some sense! :D

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:25 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:I am God, so yes.

*hands Big Jim a slip of paper reading, "You are the 37th player to post that statement. Thank you for your contribution."*

Thank you. Of course you know, all the others are lying. There is only one true God: Me. ;)
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Furious Grandmothers
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Furious Grandmothers » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:35 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:*hands Big Jim a slip of paper reading, "You are the 37th player to post that statement. Thank you for your contribution."*

Thank you. Of course you know, all the others are lying. There is only one true God: Me. ;)

I know. I created You.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:44 am

Any reason for that? Have you tried finding the 'answer' in any shape or form AT ALL since then? I highly doubt that your faith in all things metaphysical would fly out the window once secularism reared its ugly head.

Because the existence of any god makes precisely the same amount of sense as believing the Santa or the Easter bunny, or less, in the case of all falsifiable gods.

Of course I believe in God. The Bible says it, therefore God exists, because the Bible is 100% true.

Yes, I do. :)

Of course.

Care to explain your reasoning?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Huaraka
Attaché

Founded: Aug 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Huaraka » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:49 am

Spiritual/New Age/Buddhist
Anarcho primitivist and DAMN proud of it! I am NOT a socialist! (but I don't hate it ;D)
I am: New Age Buddhist, Scholar, Caucasian, Italian, Dutch and german, straight, male
I <3: Agarianism, Socialism, Social Libertarianism, Libertarianism, Liberalism, Anarchism, NATO, USA, Canada, Mongolia, Asian Women :3
I </3: Conservatives, So called Socialists, Communists, Fascists, Wannabee Anarchists, DPRK, USSR, PRC.
“Girls have an unfair advantage over men: if they can't get what they want by being smart, they can get it by being dumb.” -Yul Brynner
Current sports: Kyokushinkai Karate, Tai Chi, fitness, PE

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General