NATION

PASSWORD

Do you belive in God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe in God?

Yes, i am a devout follower of God.
34%
No, i don't believe in god. ( Atheist )
43%
I believe in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. ( Really exists )
5%
I believe in Aliens. ( Annunaki/Igigi )
3%
Other. ( Please State )
15%

Total votes : 895

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:47 pm

New Heliopolis wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
I asked for a scientific reason why "God" is a better explanation than science and all I got was this crummy multiverse.

*sigh*

You know...

I said "speculative and incomplete" for a reason too.

Because it is speculative and incomplete.

Just like every damn other piece of evidence, theory and what-the-crap else you can bring before me.

Go on, argue a theory, and I will shoot it down.

No. I asked you why "God" is a better explanation than science. So far you haven't shown me anything.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:47 pm

[quote="Furious Grandmothers";p="6986397"]If your ideas don't violate the laws of physics, then they would work just as well in a Godless universe. Or possibly, multiverse seeing as you like to bring that up. So what was your point in mentioning physical law violation?[quote]

Someone else claimed my ideas did.

Of course, I have had freaking enough of people pulling a subjectivity argument. Really. It shows they don't get it.

Unlike how much else?

It could be done, which is all that can be said about pretty much anything.

I had this other idea that's a bit more blatantly in proof of something going on...what's less presumptuous than bringing things like Dark Matter into the equation, or presuming anything is true?

(If your full quotes don't show, I apologize...the system is being screwy)
Last edited by New Heliopolis on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excellent Quotes:
JJ Place wrote: just because an organization tells you that them taking money from you isn't theft because they have more rights than any other organization is one of the lamest arguments a person can utilize in a debate; saying that the government can do what it likes because it writes it's own law is intellectually dishonest, and flies in the face of all reality.

Lucantis wrote:If a fat man puts you in a bag at night, don't worry I told Santa I wanted you for Christmas.

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Farnhamia wrote:No. I asked you why "God" is a better explanation than science. So far you haven't shown me anything.

I have this other idea...

I warn you though, if there are kinks to be worked out, don't go all bile-filled on me,

The question I posed about presumptuousness was rhetorical.
Last edited by New Heliopolis on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excellent Quotes:
JJ Place wrote: just because an organization tells you that them taking money from you isn't theft because they have more rights than any other organization is one of the lamest arguments a person can utilize in a debate; saying that the government can do what it likes because it writes it's own law is intellectually dishonest, and flies in the face of all reality.

Lucantis wrote:If a fat man puts you in a bag at night, don't worry I told Santa I wanted you for Christmas.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:52 pm

The more important question: Does God believe in you? o.O
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Smuggar
Secretary

Founded: Sep 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Smuggar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Of course I believe in God. The Bible says it, therefore God exists, because the Bible is 100% true.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:04 pm

New Heliopolis wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No. I asked you why "God" is a better explanation than science. So far you haven't shown me anything.

I warn you though, if there are kinks to be worked out, don't go all bile-filled on me,

Trust me, I'm not "bile-filled." Disappointed that you have nothing, but not bilious.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Deus in Machina
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Deus in Machina » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:06 pm

United Dependencies wrote:The more important question: Does God believe in you? o.O

Probably not.

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
New Heliopolis wrote:

Trust me, I'm not "bile-filled." Disappointed that you have nothing, but not bilious.

The only thing that's less presumptuous than affirming anything is denying something.

The expansion rate of the universe is far beyond what, well, it should be, and perhaps this isn't due to the existence of anything but the lack of applicability of Conservation of Energy.

Which means, basically, there are parts of the universe that are in blatant violation of the local physics, but are definitely there, and via Occam's are proven in.

If those places in violation can interact with us, then, that at least is a step in the right direction.

Not a creator, necessarily, but certainly other aspects of religion...
Last edited by New Heliopolis on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excellent Quotes:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:08 pm

New Heliopolis wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Trust me, I'm not "bile-filled." Disappointed that you have nothing, but not bilious.

The only thing that's less presumptuous than affirming anything is denying something.

The expansion rate of the universe is far beyond what, well, it should be, and perhaps this isn't due to the existence of anything but the lack of applicability of Conservation of Energy.

Which means, basically, there are parts of the universe that are in blatant violation of the local physics, but are definitely there, and via Occam's are proven in.

If those places in violation can interact with us, then, that at least is a step in the right direction.

What aspects?

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Farnhamia wrote:What aspects?

The existence of a "supernatural". The ability of a "supernatural to have an effect on our world--we can see it on the fringes, we can find evidence enough of it to presume something about the universe based on something of it...

I'm explaining it a bit badly, but...
Excellent Quotes:

Smuggar
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Smuggar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Deus in Machina wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:The more important question: Does God believe in you? o.O

Probably not.

Don't be silly, of course He does. He loves you and believes in you, but is disappointed. He wants you to stop wearing immodest clothing, stop acting immorally around those of the opposite sex, stop listening to vapid TV shows and music that feed you nothing but lies. Come to Jesus, Deus.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:17 pm

New Heliopolis wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:What aspects?

The existence of a "supernatural". The ability of a "supernatural to have an effect on our world--we can see it on the fringes, we can find evidence enough of it to presume something about the universe based on something of it...

I'm explaining it a bit badly, but...

Yes, you are. Let's simplify it some more.

Why should I believe in God? And which God should I believe in, just to be as clear as we can.

Anglynova
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglynova » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:20 pm

I believe in God.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Anglynova wrote:I believe in God.

Why?

Smuggar
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Smuggar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:26 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Why?

Because he (or she) has read the Bible and knows it to be true. What did you think?

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Smuggar wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Why?

Because he (or she) has read the Bible and knows it to be true. What did you think?

Source?

The Corona
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Corona » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Smuggar wrote:

Because he (or she) has read the Bible and knows believes it to be true. What did you think?

Fixed.
Last edited by Genivaria on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anglynova
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglynova » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Why?

I do not believe in God based on any empirical evidence. I have faith in one God that has created the universe and essentially guides its progress. I base this belief on a gut feeling that it could be true and that it feels right. I realize there has been no evidence of God to date. I believe that God has guided humanity through several spiritual teachers and has given Earth the statistical, inherent value through life.

Most importantly, I would rather believe in a God than not. Many are the opposite of this, and that is fine.

EDIT: Also, I am not a Christian. If forced to define myself, I would define myself as a Baha'i who is still seeking.
Last edited by Anglynova on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Anglynova wrote:

I do not believe in God based on any empirical evidence. I have faith in one God that has created the universe and essentially guides its progress. I base this belief on a gut feeling that it could be true and that it feels right. I realize there has been no evidence of God to date. I believe that God has guided humanity through several spiritual teachers and has given Earth the statistical, inherent value through life.

Most importantly, I would rather believe in a God than not. Many are the opposite of this, and that is fine.

EDIT: Also, I am not a Christian. If forced to define myself, I would define myself as a Baha'i who is still seeking.

Alright, reasonable enough. I'm just curious when people post one-liners, you know.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:07 pm

No, I don't. God is an undefined concept, how can I believe in it? How is this even a meaningful question to ask?

Although I find it funny that the poll only allows for the Abrahamic God, atheism and joke options with everything else being "other".
Last edited by Dakini on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Smuggar wrote:
Deus in Machina wrote:Probably not.

Don't be silly, of course He does. He loves you and believes in you, but is disappointed. He wants you to stop wearing immodest clothing, stop acting immorally around those of the opposite sex, stop listening to vapid TV shows and music that feed you nothing but lies. Come to Jesus, Deus.

Haha. What?

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Smuggar wrote:Of course I believe in God. The Bible says it, therefore God exists, because the Bible is 100% true.

Bats aren't birds.

Rabbits don't chew cud.

The circumference of a circle divided by its diameter is not exactly 3.
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Furious Grandmothers
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Furious Grandmothers » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:16 pm

New Heliopolis wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Trust me, I'm not "bile-filled." Disappointed that you have nothing, but not bilious.

Without any evidential support, that "perhaps" will stay as it is.

Also, you saying that there is a particular expansion rate of the universe that it SHOULD be at implies what? Why did you use the word "should"?
Code: Select all

Soviet Haaregrad
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Soviet Haaregrad » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Dakini wrote:
Smuggar wrote:Of course I believe in God. The Bible says it, therefore God exists, because the Bible is 100% true.

Bats aren't birds.

Rabbits don't chew cud.

The circumference of a circle divided by its diameter is not exactly 3.

These are just lies perpetuated by liberal 'scientists' to attempt to discredit the Holy Word of God.
RP Population: 1760//76 million//1920 104 million//1960 209 million//1992 238 million
81% Economic Leftist, 56% Anarchist, 79% Anti-Militarist, 89% Socio-Cultural Liberal, 73% Civil Libertarian
Privatization of collectively owned property is theft.
The Confederacy of Independent Socialist Republics
FACTBOOK
ART

There are no gods and no one is a prophet.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General