NATION

PASSWORD

Do you belive in God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe in God?

Yes, i am a devout follower of God.
34%
No, i don't believe in god. ( Atheist )
43%
I believe in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. ( Really exists )
5%
I believe in Aliens. ( Annunaki/Igigi )
3%
Other. ( Please State )
15%

Total votes : 895

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:15 am

New Heliopolis wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:So, finding that the universe is expanding faster than we previously thought means there is a God in charge of everything? Couldn't it be that the universe is just expanding at a different rate than we previously thought?

It doesn't just do so for no reason, though. There's some reason it does. Possibly a failure in the Conservation of Energy, but...then that raises its own questions, actually more helpful to the possibility of things like the supernatural. And like I said, it's only a start. I still have to find that one writing of Kaku's that I can use as a source...

Are you saying that the expansion has suddenly changed?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Risna
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Risna » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:23 am

I am definitly a pagan so I feel some sort of divine presense. A fusion of Shinto/Taosim. I will not reject the Christian God because neither of us are completly correct. God is a thousand sided dice.
”Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly. “
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:35 am

Farnhamia wrote:
New Heliopolis wrote:It doesn't just do so for no reason, though. There's some reason it does. Possibly a failure in the Conservation of Energy, but...then that raises its own questions, actually more helpful to the possibility of things like the supernatural. And like I said, it's only a start. I still have to find that one writing of Kaku's that I can use as a source...

Are you saying that the expansion has suddenly changed?

It actually has. The rate itself is thought to have accelerated by scientists.
Excellent Quotes:
JJ Place wrote: just because an organization tells you that them taking money from you isn't theft because they have more rights than any other organization is one of the lamest arguments a person can utilize in a debate; saying that the government can do what it likes because it writes it's own law is intellectually dishonest, and flies in the face of all reality.

Lucantis wrote:If a fat man puts you in a bag at night, don't worry I told Santa I wanted you for Christmas.

Kleomentia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kleomentia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:36 am

Risna wrote:I am definitly a pagan so I feel some sort of divine presense. A fusion of Shinto/Taosim. I will not reject the Christian God because neither of us are completly correct. God is a thousand sided dice.

Yeah, i wonder how God feels when he looks down to us.
NSG's God of Derp and Randomness, Monarchist&Capitalist and a patriotic Christian Serb
Also, wubwubwubwubwubwubWUBwubwubwubwubwubwub...

"In this primitive world of greed and stupidity, peace can only be achieved through fear, a brute military force which will unite the world under one flag!"
"We know nothing, but wish to do everything."
"Kosovo is Serbia! Failing to acknowledge that either proves your ignorance or lack of education."
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Galenaima wrote:
BLASPHEMY! THERE HE IS! IMMA CUMMIN' JESUS!!!

*jumps out window*

I'm quite sure Jesus didn't wish to know that.
National Information
Join Slavya!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:38 am

New Heliopolis wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Are you saying that the expansion has suddenly changed?

All at once or slowly over time? You'll provide me a small linkette I can check, of course. Still, I think I'll go with natural explanations rather than supernatural ones for the time being, until such time as the scientific consensus is "Yep, it's God, alright."
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 am

Yes, I believe in God, something can not come from nothing which blocks all possibilty of a "big bang"

Incorrect. No current theory of the big bang posits that something has come from nothing. There are (or were, it's a while since I've read up on this stuff) five main theories (or I might just have misremembered). The only one I can remember anything about involved a collision between two n-branes. (Where's unhealthy2 when you need someone to answer ridiculously technical questions?)

God has changed lifes,

Evidence please.

he has turned the sinful on the right path!

Define "sinful". Define "right". Explain why anyone, deity or otherwise has the right to force people to behave according to a specific moral code.

off the condemnation of souls thing.

Provide evidence for the existence of a soul.

I cannot help but see how the red sea just randomly parted right as the jews were crossing,

It didn't. It didn't part at all. Your book is wrong, and demonstrably so on many terms.

also how the world just randomly flooded when God told Moses it was going to.

The world did not flood. This is one of those "demonstrably wrong" points.

ALSO I really cannot believe that we "evolved" from monkies or apes! If we share 98% of our DNA with other primates then we share 13% with Banana's! DID WE EVOLVE FROM BANANAS??? I DONT THINK SO!!!

We evolved from neither modern apes, modern monkeys or bananas. We do, however, share a common ancestor with all of the above. It just so happens that we separated from the ancestors of the plants a lot earlier than we separated from the other primates. Evolution happens. This is not up for debate. It is, to the greatest degree that anything can be outside of maths and pure logic, a fact.

Also to see all the things happening today that are so good, preformed in the name of God!

Yeah, like religiously motivated violence, the proliferation of disease and the continued poor treatment of women in large parts of the world

RELIGION is what tears us apart, not God, it tells us in the Bible that we will one day reunite as one church so what's up with hating eachother as Christians?

Source?

we should be celebrating the diffrences and talking about them!

At last, something that makes sense.

God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit have made themselves present in my life multiple times.

How, precisely, do you know it was "god, Jesus and the holy spirit"? I'll argue that your body produced some chemicals that caused your brain to fire some series of synapses to produce an emotion that you like to call "god". That is neither objectively repeatable nor a piece of evidence in support of the existence of any deity.

I can only hope my athiest counter-parts will one day talk with the faithful and try to understand where we are coming from. (and possibly convert ;D)

We have talked with you. That is precisely the problem. To my knowledge, not one of you has ever produced a single piece of evidence or logical argument that supports your hypothesis (if indeed, you actually have a falsifiable hypothesis to start with, most of you don't ever have a coherent one of them) that has not been demonstrated to be entirely flawed and/or not in support of your hypothesis. Every falsifiable god that I'm aware of being presented has been falsified and as far as the unfalsifiable versions go, I'm going to go ahead and point you to Unhealthy2s probability space proof that the probability of such a god existing is 0 (not quite the same as impossible, see his point). If anyone could dig that post out for me, I'd appreciate it.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Waffia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 27, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Nein

Postby Waffia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:44 am

I don't believe in God. God was just a tool to explain the unexplainable. But I don't think we need that tool anymore, with the quickly advancing technology from now.
Fimmi Grebbel
Waffian Ambassador to the World Assembly

Comments in quotes are in-character, comments without quotes are out-of-character.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:48 am

New Heliopolis wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:So, finding that the universe is expanding faster than we previously thought means there is a God in charge of everything? Couldn't it be that the universe is just expanding at a different rate than we previously thought?

It doesn't just do so for no reason, though. There's some reason it does. Possibly a failure in the Conservation of Energy, but...then that raises its own questions, actually more helpful to the possibility of things like the supernatural. And like I said, it's only a start. I still have to find that one writing of Kaku's that I can use as a source...

No it's not. Deferring to the supernatural won't give you more knowledge. It's like, drinking water to satisfy your hunger. There's a way to find out more about this without being a theist or believing in god.

This expansion could've been made by extraterrestrial activities, expanding energies, miscalculations, etc. Don't just resort to god.
Last edited by Norstal on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:49 am

Salandriagado wrote:
ALSO I really cannot believe that we "evolved" from monkies or apes! If we share 98% of our DNA with other primates then we share 13% with Banana's! DID WE EVOLVE FROM BANANAS??? I DONT THINK SO!!!

We evolved from neither modern apes, modern monkeys or bananas. We do, however, share a common ancestor with all of the above. It just so happens that we separated from the ancestors of the plants a lot earlier than we separated from the other primates. Evolution happens. This is not up for debate. It is, to the greatest degree that anything can be outside of maths and pure logic, a fact.

Just to add to your comment, I would be willing to guess that that 13% of our DNA is some of the oldest and most important parts, dealing with things like protein synthesis, sugar/ATP manufacturing and a lot of cellular processes; the foundation of life, in other words. So it does indeed make sense that we'd share that DNA with bananas (And probably most forms of life on our planet, I'd bet), as we're made up of largely the same base 'stuff' as it.

EDIT: To explain this better to laypeople, think of DNA as the blueprint for a house, in that a blueprint is a set of instructions and diagrams that show the details on how to build a house from the ground up. Though you can have an infinite number of variations in the type of house, method of construction and the like, there are certain elements of the blueprint that are found in all houses, like plumbing and heating and insulation and structural supports and the like. They're necessary to build a house, whatever that house may end up being. Similarly, that 13% of the DNA we share with bananas is the base elements of our genome, constructing the most basic and essential components of life, even though the final 'house' may be very, very different.
Last edited by Avenio on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xenohumanity
Minister

Founded: Jun 24, 2010

Postby Xenohumanity » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:50 am

Norstal wrote:It's like, drinking water to satisfy your hunger.

[pointless misguided rebuttal]Just going to chime in and say that when my stomach aches for food, two glasses of water will shut it up for an hour or so.[/pointless misguided rebuttal] You may want to use a different analogy.
Factbook - Officially Good Enough To Show The In-Laws

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:01 am

Xenohumanity wrote:
Norstal wrote:It's like, drinking water to satisfy your hunger.

[pointless misguided rebuttal]Just going to chime in and say that when my stomach aches for food, two glasses of water will shut it up for an hour or so.[/pointless misguided rebuttal] You may want to use a different analogy.

No, I think the analogy is apt. Those two glasses of water ease your hunger for a while, but they do not satisfy it, nor do they provide nourishment. In just the same way, resorting to the supernatural ("extrauniversal energy") may seem to make the problem go away, but it does not add to our knowledge of the universe.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:03 am

New Heliopolis wrote:

I wonder if the anitmatter instability means random particle formation from the "froth" of vacuum (vacuum instability) results in matter continuously being added in very tiny amounts pushing the universe outwards, or that perhaps this particle formation actually generates a force of its own, that is just to weak to detect on anything but a galactic scale, or perhaps unlike gravity it scale with distance not the inverse of distance.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Xenohumanity
Minister

Postby Xenohumanity » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:04 am

Farnhamia wrote:No, I think the analogy is apt. Those two glasses of water ease your hunger for a while, but they do not satisfy it, nor do they provide nourishment. In just the same way, resorting to the supernatural ("extrauniversal energy") may seem to make the problem go away, but it does not add to our knowledge of the universe.

True, true. However, making the pain go away lets you focus on getting the work you have to do done instead of looking for food and being in pain, such as how allowing religious/psychological comfort into you life allows you to live the semblance of a healthy life while you try to do your job, pass your classes, complete your research, or just survive, rather than having existential crises like they're going out of style.

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:06 am

Farnhamia wrote:
New Heliopolis wrote:

All at once or slowly over time? You'll provide me a small linkette I can check, of course. Still, I think I'll go with natural explanations rather than supernatural ones for the time being, until such time as the scientific consensus is "Yep, it's God, alright."

Linkette is coming. Had to be offline, which is why it took so long...

And I know. I just happen to have had plenty of religious experiences, so... :)
Excellent Quotes:
JJ Place wrote: just because an organization tells you that them taking money from you isn't theft because they have more rights than any other organization is one of the lamest arguments a person can utilize in a debate; saying that the government can do what it likes because it writes it's own law is intellectually dishonest, and flies in the face of all reality.

Lucantis wrote:If a fat man puts you in a bag at night, don't worry I told Santa I wanted you for Christmas.

New Heliopolis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Heliopolis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:08 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Xenohumanity wrote:[pointless misguided rebuttal]Just going to chime in and say that when my stomach aches for food, two glasses of water will shut it up for an hour or so.[/pointless misguided rebuttal] You may want to use a different analogy.

No, I think the analogy is apt. Those two glasses of water ease your hunger for a while, but they do not satisfy it, nor do they provide nourishment. In just the same way, resorting to the supernatural ("extrauniversal energy") may seem to make the problem go away, but it does not add to our knowledge of the universe.

It certainly does--it confirms that there is in fact a multiverse, and that our own universe is in some amount of contact with it. And that's only from the general idea.
Excellent Quotes:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:10 am

Xenohumanity wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No, I think the analogy is apt. Those two glasses of water ease your hunger for a while, but they do not satisfy it, nor do they provide nourishment. In just the same way, resorting to the supernatural ("extrauniversal energy") may seem to make the problem go away, but it does not add to our knowledge of the universe.

True, true. However, making the pain go away lets you focus on getting the work you have to do done instead of looking for food and being in pain, such as how allowing religious/psychological comfort into you life allows you to live the semblance of a healthy life while you try to do your job, pass your classes, complete your research, or just survive, rather than having existential crises like they're going out of style.

I'm not talking about doing away with any of that. I'm talking about coming upon a problem in astrophysics or cosmology or whatever, seeing that the data is not what we expected it to be, and saying, "Well, shit. It's not supposed to be doing that. I ... I can't figure this out. Damn ... sorry ... must be extra-universal energy or something, God I guess. Yes, that must be it, God. Well, good, who wants pizza?" What should be said is, "Well, shit. It's not supposed to be doing that. I ... I can't figure this out. Damn ... Did we measure this right? I think we ought to look at the numbers again. Somebody order pizza, it's going to be a late night."

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:12 am

New Heliopolis wrote:

It certainly does--it confirms that there is in fact a multiverse, and that our own universe is in some amount of contact with it. And that's only from the general idea.

Multiverses, fine. You were going to tell me why God is a better scientific explanation for things than either what we know or than saying that we just don't know at the moment. Multiverses are not God.

Doctrana
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Doctrana » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:14 am

It is not possible for a god to exist, however, I remain open to the possibility we (Humans) are a scientific creation, brought about by a more advanced race.

Furious Grandmothers
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Furious Grandmothers » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am

New Heliopolis wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:All at once or slowly over time? You'll provide me a small linkette I can check, of course. Still, I think I'll go with natural explanations rather than supernatural ones for the time being, until such time as the scientific consensus is "Yep, it's God, alright."

Bolded for truth.
Code: Select all

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am

Doctrana wrote:It is not possible for a god to exist, however, I remain open to the possibility we (Humans) are a scientific creation, brought about by a more advanced race.

What makes you think that's a possibility?

Mommywill
Lobbyist

Founded: May 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mommywill » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am

No. If god existed and wanted me to believe in her, he'd send me an epiphany.
Also, if you can prove something exists, i.e. Church of FSM, you do not have to believe, you know. ;)
Love your enemies, it may hurt their reputation.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am

Furious Grandmothers wrote:
New Heliopolis wrote:

Bolded for truth.

Truth?

Xenohumanity
Minister

Postby Xenohumanity » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:18 am

Farnhamia wrote:I'm not talking about doing away with any of that. I'm talking about coming upon a problem in astrophysics or cosmology or whatever, seeing that the data is not what we expected it to be, and saying, "Well, shit. It's not supposed to be doing that. I ... I can't figure this out. Damn ... sorry ... must be extra-universal energy or something, God I guess. Yes, that must be it, God. Well, good, who wants pizza?" What should be said is, "Well, shit. It's not supposed to be doing that. I ... I can't figure this out. Damn ... Did we measure this right? I think we ought to look at the numbers again. Somebody order pizza, it's going to be a late night."

Here, we agree (as we have been like real intellectual gentlemen). I hate half-assed religious answers (despite being religious myself). I know better than to try to 'defend' my faith when I know I don't know nearly enough to do so from the wide varieties of attack angles others can use to prove me wrong (I avoid those arguments for obvious reasons). I keep my religion personal, the questions it 'answers' far away from mundane/scientific experience, and let numbers and reason take care of the rest.
>science_marches_on.jpg

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:18 am

Farnhamia wrote:
New Heliopolis wrote:

All at once or slowly over time? You'll provide me a small linkette

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_universe
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Furious Grandmothers
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Furious Grandmothers » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:19 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Bolded for truth.

Truth?

That by chance, he/she just happened to be involved in subjective experiences that he/she attributed as religious in nature.