NATION

PASSWORD

Anonymous to Occupy Wall Street and Create Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sorratsin
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorratsin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am

Andaluciae wrote:I don't know if you're all so set on the narrative of downtrodden disempowerment to embrace the means that could lead the movement forward, or something, but whatever it is, the responses I'm getting are only reaffirming my extant assessment.

I'm not interested in downtrodden disempowerment. I just view the current American political system as being designed from top to bottom to make it virtually impossible for anyone but organized wealth to have any influence whatsoever. Consequently, occupying parks etc. means power to me, if only because it's a political movement that is not subordinate to the rules of an establishment that is corrupt to the core. You can probably guess from this how I feel about Occupy Wall Street becoming a D.C. lobbyist.

Seriously, what do you want? What's the next step? You must answer that question, not to me. Answer it to yourself.

To live in a de facto democratic society. I have no idea what the next step is.
I offered two very clear-cut examples of predominantly middle class groups, who have been able to utilize the combined wealth and voting power of their membership to significantly sway policy--and I'll add a third, the NRA wields one of the most effective lobbying arms in DC, despite the relatively average membership.

I don't pretend to be an expert on these groups, but I would be shocked if the NRA or AARP were not backed by corporate interests.

Previous

Return to General