NATION

PASSWORD

Anonymous to Occupy Wall Street and Create Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Dick wrote:People are free to reject a wage. Just say no. I have no problem with trying to create a union, but I do when you try to use state power for your own ends...

free market is win/win

you value $5 more than you value your pencil. and I value the pencil more than the $5. so we trade.

People are free to reject a wage in a hypothetical scenario where they don't need to eat otherwise yeah they have to take what's available.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Dick wrote:
Terra Agora wrote:On everyone part of Occupy Wall Street is asking for $50 minimum wages, etc.
Not to mention Stefan Molyneux is a terrible philosopher.

Wage is tied to your value. If government sets it to $20 hr then unemployment would skyrocket more because alot of people aren't worth $20 hr so those people would be out of a job. Why not set the minimum wage to 10,000,000$ per hour ? Then maybe only Bill Gates will land a job.

Economic ignorance. The higher the wage is set, the more who will be unemployed.

Actually, it's cruel to the poor people who need a job. Blame the government for outpricing your labor.

I meant to say "not."
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs
“If a tyrant is one man and his subjects are many, why do they consent to their own enslavement?”- Étienne De La Boétie
“It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful.” - Anton Szandor LaVey
"Liberty is the mother, not the daughter, of order." Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment."-Max Stirner
" A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lynsander Spooner
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
"Morality is a device for controlling the gullible with words." - L A Rollins

Dick
Attaché

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dick » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Dick wrote:People are free to reject a wage. Just say no. I have no problem with trying to create a union, but I do when you try to use state power for your own ends...

free market is win/win

you value $5 more than you value your pencil. and I value the pencil more than the $5. so we trade.

People are free to reject a wage in a hypothetical scenario where they don't need to eat otherwise yeah they have to take what's available.

Find another job. Increase your skillset. Start a business. You have many avenues at your disposal. Hypothetical? That's the way it works now, except NOW you have government price fixing labor...translation? People can't find a job and alot of people working "under the table"
Economic Left/Right: 10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

Stefan Molyneux is awesome! :) Google him to understand why

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Dick wrote:Find another job. Increase your skillset. Start a business. You have many avenues at your disposal. Hypothetical? That's the way it works now, except NOW you have government price fixing labor...translation? People can't find a job and alot of people working "under the table"

Find another job that pays the same? Going to school and starting a business incur tremendous costs. Your still presuming that businesses will hire more people just because they can, in no world is that true.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Well now they're going to march on the Mansions apparently.

Police are really going to hammer them then, can't have them losing sleep from chanting.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:30 pm

:palm:

what happened to the Journalist adage about reporting the news and not becoming the news?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/rep ... 50896.html
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:35 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:Well now they're going to march on the Mansions apparently.

Police are really going to hammer them then, can't have them losing sleep from chanting.

Trying to pick a fight somewhere else.

If they can't do it in the most public of places, they'll try to do it in a comparatively private place.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:39 pm

JuNii wrote::palm:

what happened to the Journalist adage about reporting the news and not becoming the news?

Technically speaking (comment targeted at the writer), the police pepper-sprayed nobody at the Smithsonian. The Smithsonian employees did, though.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Des-Bal wrote:

free market is win/win

You are correct, however there are reasons to this (basically the root of this problem is government).

In a free market you wouldn't be forced to take a wage job.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs
“If a tyrant is one man and his subjects are many, why do they consent to their own enslavement?”- Étienne De La Boétie
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment."-Max Stirner
" A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lynsander Spooner

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Right wing reporter attempts to incite a riot to slander the opposition...
Didn't the Pinkertons do the same thing?
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Dick wrote:
Find another job. Increase your skillset. Start a business. You have many avenues at your disposal.

Hypothetically? Sure.
But in reality there are many artificial barriers to entry to start a new business.
Finding a new job isn't easy either.
Increasing your skillset doesn't do much when you can't find a job.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
You are correct, however there are reasons to this (basically the root of this problem is government).

Yes you would be free to starve to death, subsist on the income of an unskilled laborer, gain an education with money you don't have, or start a buisness with no startup capital. Your only choice is to take whatever shit job they're offering.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:59 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:Right wing reporter attempts to incite a riot to slander the opposition...

Yes but they also killed people with dynamite and that was pretty cool.

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Terra Agora wrote:

Yes you would be free to starve to death, subsist on the income of an unskilled laborer, gain an education with money you don't have, or start a buisness with no startup capital. Your only choice is to take whatever shit job they're offering.

You're conflating the actually existing system with a free(d) market.
Last edited by Terra Agora on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:03 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:

Right wing reporter attempts to incite a riot to slander the opposition...

Nah. The Pinkertons either infiltrated, and pulled out the dirt--or just shot the strikers a la Homestead. Although, they did gain the ignominy of being banned from Ohio. Not even the Michigan Wolverines have achieved that one.

Even at that, though, the incident that got the pepper spray going wasn't the reporter: It was this guy.

http://s789.photobucket.com/albums/yy17 ... ssible.jpg
Last edited by Andaluciae on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Andaluciae wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:Right wing reporter attempts to incite a riot to slander the opposition...

Nah. The Pinkertons either infiltrated, and pulled out the dirt--or just shot the strikers a la Homestead. Although, they did gain the ignominy of being banned from Ohio. Not even the Michigan Wolverines have achieved that one.

Even at that, though, the incident that got the pepper spray going wasn't the reporter: It was this guy.

HOLY CRAP! Chris Rock works at the Air & Space Museum!? :blink:
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:

HOLY CRAP! Chris Rock works at the Air & Space Museum!? :blink:

And he's packing a .38. Motherfucker kickin' it old school.

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Genivaria wrote:(Image)

I make 174,000 dollars a year.
I wrote the bill that cut your benefits.
I am personally responsible for every aspect of government you hate.
I am part of the 99%.

Fuck I hate these trite slogans.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Dick wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:
Australia proves you wrong
Compared to the us dollar, their minimum wage is about $15/hr, and they half our unemployment

Minimum wages causes unemployment is provably false.
Stop lying. and tell us your real agenda.

Unemployment likely to rise as companies put the brakes on hiring

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/unemploy ... z1aQxc4IeH

What do you say about that? Some people's labor is just not worth what they're doing. So, if the private (voluntary) economy doesn't keep up with government mandates, people lose jobs...while other people can't find jobs. Also, isn't the AUS weaker than the USD? It's like paying someone 1000000 zimbabwa dollars, it equals up to like 25c.. apples and oranges

No. AUD was around 92 cents on the dollar until a few years ago, now it's about $1.17. He was speaking in real terms anyway, so it doesn't matter what the exchange rate is.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Genivaria wrote:(Image)

I make 174,000 dollars a year.
I am part of the 99%.

The fuck?

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Xsyne wrote:I make 174,000 dollars a year.
I am part of the 99%.

The fuck?

Just pointing out that the 99% also includes quite a large number, if not the majority, of people responsible for the current mess. But no, it's easier to pretend that it's only a tiny, tiny amount of people who are to blame. That way people never have to confront the possibility that they are part of the problem.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Genivaria wrote:The fuck?

Just pointing out that the 99% also includes quite a large number, if not the majority, of people responsible for the current mess. But no, it's easier to pretend that it's only a tiny, tiny amount of people who are to blame. That way people never have to confront the possibility that they are part of the problem.

I....see.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Keronians wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:
Same in Australia. Local grocery stores usually just sell the same products made by big companies at a much larger price.

There isn't much of a marketing mix to go with food. Supermarkets rarely market their products luxuriously, or anything else. What you're saying, that the elderly and poor are the main customers, makes no sense from a business point of view. Logically, products will be cheaper and readily accessible if the target market are poor and the elderly. No business wants to depend solely on its location and hope that people will always remain lazy.

I personally think the problem lies mainly with a vast difference in the economies of scale available to the smaller supermarkets and the economies of scale available to the larger supermarkets.

I said that? I think your quoting the wrong bloke.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Keronians wrote:
I think it was there. Been a while since I read "Art of War".

Everything is online now. :D
http://classics.mit.edu/Tzu/artwar.html

I doubt EVERYTHING is online now....
Have you ever seen shower guitar porn?
I thought not....
Actualy...That sounds pretty hot....
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam