NATION

PASSWORD

Seriously, What Have You Learned Today?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kleomentia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kleomentia » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:09 pm

I learned that....actually i haven't learned anything today.
NSG's God of Derp and Randomness, Monarchist&Capitalist and a patriotic Christian Serb
Also, wubwubwubwubwubwubWUBwubwubwubwubwubwub...

"In this primitive world of greed and stupidity, peace can only be achieved through fear, a brute military force which will unite the world under one flag!"
"We know nothing, but wish to do everything."
"Kosovo is Serbia! Failing to acknowledge that either proves your ignorance or lack of education."
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Galenaima wrote:
BLASPHEMY! THERE HE IS! IMMA CUMMIN' JESUS!!!

*jumps out window*

I'm quite sure Jesus didn't wish to know that.
National Information
Join Slavya!

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:11 pm

The Warrior Hearted wrote:
Keronians wrote:
Are Honours classes like Advance Placements?

The A-level course (2 years) is equivalent to your first year of college in America, I'm told.

Why, I still don't understand, but Nor told me that that's because the stuff we do is much harder than what the average High Schooler does, and would, in essence, be the equivalent of what you'd learn as a first year in college.

honors is about half of AP. You dont go as in depth and the work isnt as hard.

They also dont give you college credit like AP classes do

You only get college credit if you get a 3 on the test. And even then some colleges nowadays only accept it for credit if you get a 4. The tests are expensive too. Still I have bragging rights as I got a 5 on a test. 8)
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Kleomentia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kleomentia » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:12 pm

The Corparation wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote:honors is about half of AP. You dont go as in depth and the work isnt as hard.

You only get college credit if you get a 3 on the test. And even then some colleges nowadays only accept it for credit if you get a 4. The tests are expensive too. Still I have bragging rights as I got a 5 on a test. 8)

Congrats.
NSG's God of Derp and Randomness, Monarchist&Capitalist and a patriotic Christian Serb
Also, wubwubwubwubwubwubWUBwubwubwubwubwubwub...

"In this primitive world of greed and stupidity, peace can only be achieved through fear, a brute military force which will unite the world under one flag!"
"We know nothing, but wish to do everything."
"Kosovo is Serbia! Failing to acknowledge that either proves your ignorance or lack of education."
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Galenaima wrote:
BLASPHEMY! THERE HE IS! IMMA CUMMIN' JESUS!!!

*jumps out window*

I'm quite sure Jesus didn't wish to know that.
National Information
Join Slavya!

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:13 pm

The Corparation wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote:honors is about half of AP. You dont go as in depth and the work isnt as hard.

The tests are free at my school :/

They only cost money if you want them to rescore your multiple choice
I am me, the one and only. I am the whistling in the wind, the voice in your ear.

I am the eye in the sky, the knife in your back. I am always around, but do not fear. your time will come, as does all.

Salvarity
Senator

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Salvarity » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Keronians wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Hey, honors are honors.

I'd gladly join an honors class. School is so boring.

Come over here.

Honours classes are like APs, yes?

I have 5 subjects, all of which are college credit in the US.

i'm in 8th Grade.

Honors don't do shit for you except more work
Praetor of the Empire of Mare Nostrum
World Assembly Delegate of the Empire of Mare Nostrum

King of the British Isles
Prime Minister of the British Isles
Defense Minister of the British Isles
Home Minister of the British Isles
Culture Minister of the British Isles
MP of Parliament for Northern Ireland
Co-Founder of the SDLP in the British Isles
Admiral of the Royal British Isles Navy
Marquess of Winchester

Minister of the Exterior in the Land of Kings and Emperors
Minister of the Interior in the Land of Kings and Emperors
Senator in the Imperial Senate
Field Marshal Lieutenant of the Imperial Army of the Land of Kings and Emperors
Baron of Nassau

Lance Corporal in the North Pacific Army

Merryman in the United Defenders League

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Keronians wrote:

The A-level course (2 years) is equivalent to your first year of college in America, I'm told.

Why, I still don't understand, but Nor told me that that's because the stuff we do is much harder than what the average High Schooler does, and would, in essence, be the equivalent of what you'd learn as a first year in college.

honors is about half of AP. You dont go as in depth and the work isnt as hard.

I see.

You do AP classes, yes?

Post that question again. The one with the angle and velocity. I learnt how to work it out with Pythagoras' theorem and the parallelogram method in physics last week. :p
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Wazkyraque wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Why the hell is she bitching at you? Its not gonna make your teachers grade shit any faster. I've had that problem before, though.

She thinks I haven't turned anything in.

I've had that happen before as well...
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Salvarity wrote:
Keronians wrote:
Come over here.

Honours classes are like APs, yes?

I have 5 subjects, all of which are college credit in the US.

i'm in 8th Grade.

Sigh. My 8th grade classes don't have honors.

Really, I'd like to try it. Looks good on a college application.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Keronians wrote:

I see.

You do AP classes, yes?

Post that question again. The one with the angle and velocity. I learnt how to work it out with Pythagoras' theorem and the parallelogram method in physics last week. :p

Yes, i do

And which question are you talking about?
I am me, the one and only. I am the whistling in the wind, the voice in your ear.

I am the eye in the sky, the knife in your back. I am always around, but do not fear. your time will come, as does all.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:16 pm

The Corparation wrote:You only get college credit if you get a 3 on the test. And even then some colleges nowadays only accept it for credit if you get a 4. The tests are expensive too. Still I have bragging rights as I got a 5 on a test. 8)

The tests are free at my school :/

They only cost money if you want them to rescore your multiple choice

You're lucky, school probably covers the bill for the test. After the price hike last year its more then 80 bucks a test, up to a over a hundred dollars if you buy it late. Still cheaper then taking the college course if only the fact you don't have to buy a hundred dollar textbook.
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Keronians wrote:

Sort of. Honors classes are more advanced classes yes, but they aren't like skipping an 11th grade class for a 12th grade class.

US system confuses me.

In my school and in the UK, everybody wanting to progress beyond obligatory education (until 16) does the A-level. The A-level is a two year course split into six units per subject. You are examined on 3 units in May and June of your first year, and the other 3 in May and June of your second year.

After that, your scores are added together to give you the final grade for that subject.

Supposing you drop one subject at the end of your first year, that is counted as only half credit.

In the US, I'm told that the A-level is basically AP.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Keronians wrote:
I see.

You do AP classes, yes?

Yes, i do

Some question you posted a week ago. Something about being fired at an angle of xº with a velocity of y ms^-1.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Keronians wrote:
Sort of. Honors classes are more advanced classes yes, but they aren't like skipping an 11th grade class for a 12th grade class.

US system confuses me.

In my school and in the UK, everybody wanting to progress beyond obligatory education (until 16) does the A-level. The A-level is a two year course split into six units per subject. You are examined on 3 units in May and June of your first year, and the other 3 in May and June of your second year.

After that, your scores are added together to give you the final grade for that subject.

Supposing you drop one subject at the end of your first year, that is counted as only half credit.

US systems are less like universities and more stringent. You can't drop classes.

Goodbye.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Salvarity wrote:

i'm in 8th Grade.

And if you do AP, then you skip a year of college, while still getting full credit. That's $10,000 saved. :lol2:

I tutor younger students at my school, do community service, worked in the summer, and do sports just to put it on my CV, since it looks pretty good.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Keronians wrote:

And if you do AP, then you skip a year of college, while still getting full credit. That's $10,000 saved. :lol2:

I tutor younger students at my school, do community service, worked in the summer, and do sports just to put it on my CV, since it looks pretty good.

My high school does AP. It's different from Honors though.

Goodbye.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Keronians wrote:
US system confuses me.

US systems are less like universities and more stringent. You can't drop classes.

It was like that until last year for us as well.

You need to do a minimum of 3 subjects to get into university (basic requirement). I'm currently doing 5. Therefore, I can drop a maximum of 2 if I want to, but I'll probably do 5, then drop one next year and do 4 full credit, one half credit.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Keronians wrote:
The Warrior Hearted wrote:Yes, i do

Some question you posted a week ago. Something about being fired at an angle of xº with a velocity of y ms^-1.

dont remember that one

heres a new one i guess

how far will a cannon ball travel if it was fired at 27m/s at an angle of 67 degrees? Assume the cannon is being fired on mars.
(mars gravity is 38% earths gravity)

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Keronians wrote:

I understood. Honours is basically half credit, right? You don't get to skip a year of college, but are better prepared.

AP means you skip a year of college, no?
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:24 pm

Keronians wrote:

US system confuses me.

AP classes work completely different from A levels. They're just a regular class you go to like any other class except they're more in depth and make you "study at the college level" * come may you can take a test offered by the college board that if passed can you college credit depending on the college and the score. Some colleges accept the standard pass score of 3, a few only take 4s and some don't take any but like to see that you've taken them.

*Having now entered college I'd like to call that most of what my High school teachers said about college is flat out wrong, only a few of them actually know what its like these days mostly the younger ones that have graduated in the past decade or so. Just like my middle school teachers who were persistent in what they said high school would be like, I doubt any of them have set foot in a high school since they started teaching as 99.9% of what they said was wrong.

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Keronians wrote:

I understood. Honours is basically half credit, right? You don't get to skip a year of college, but are better prepared.

AP means you skip a year of college, no?

you skip the corresponding class (or classes, depending on the AP class) in college.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:27 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Keronians wrote:
US system confuses me.

AP classes work completely different from A levels. They're just a regular class you go to like any other class except they're more in depth and make you "study at the college level" * come may you can take a test offered by the college board that if passed can you college credit depending on the college and the score. Some colleges accept the standard pass score of 3, a few only take 4s and some don't take any but like to see that you've taken them.

*Having now entered college I'd like to call that most of what my High school teachers said about college is flat out wrong, only a few of them actually know what its like these days mostly the younger ones that have graduated in the past decade or so. Just like my middle school teachers who were persistent in what they said high school would be like, I doubt any of them have set foot in a high school since they started teaching as 99.9% of what they said was wrong.

Well, yeah, you don't get anywhere without the exams in A levels either.

Nor in GCSEs, which is what I did last year.

Classwork is simply notes, and practice to help you and prepare you for the exam.

Top universities in the UK tend to ask for a minimum of AAA at A-level.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Keronians wrote:
The Corparation wrote:AP classes work completely different from A levels. They're just a regular class you go to like any other class except they're more in depth and make you "study at the college level" * come may you can take a test offered by the college board that if passed can you college credit depending on the college and the score. Some colleges accept the standard pass score of 3, a few only take 4s and some don't take any but like to see that you've taken them.

Classwork is simply notes, and practice to help you and prepare you for the exam.

I'm wondering would the A levels be more comparable to the SAT and ACT then?

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:31 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Keronians wrote:

I'm wondering would the A levels be more comparable to the SAT and ACT then?

I think the AS level would be equivalent to the SAT, and the A2 level to the ACT.

From my (limited) understanding, the SAT is something you give in grade 11 and ACT in grade 12, no?
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

The Warrior Hearted
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Warrior Hearted » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Keronians wrote:
The Corparation wrote:I'm wondering would the A levels be more comparable to the SAT and ACT then?

I think the AS level would be equivalent to the SAT, and the A2 level to the ACT.

From my (limited) understanding, the SAT is something you give in grade 11 and ACT in grade 12, no?

yes and no

You take the ACT in 11th grade for free but they are college entry exams. You can take the ACt and SAT as many times you want but you have to pay to take them. If you dont meet the requirements on either the ACT or SAT, colleges here will refuse to let you enroll.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:34 pm

Keronians wrote:
The Corparation wrote:I'm wondering would the A levels be more comparable to the SAT and ACT then?

The SAT and ACT are two entirely different tests that can be taken in either 11 or 12th grade. They're basically used to evaluate how much you know, and show colleges what your scores. I didn't take the SAT only the ACT but I got a 32 so I had colleges across the country send me stuff without even checking anything else.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General