NATION

PASSWORD

Best Army in world

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Best Army

America
55%
Britian
14%
France
3%
China
8%
Israel
6%
Russia
7%
Other(Please post)
8%

Total votes : 262

DMistan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Best Army in world

Postby DMistan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Gynocracy wrote:My grandad fought in World War Two and he said that the American troops were very good if they had overwhelming superiority but that if they had to fight roughly equal numbers and equipment they were useless!

Someone's Grandad was underpaid, undersexed and under Eisenhower

*smile! Nuttin but from across the pond!*

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:27 pm

Best Army in the World? Very subjective, but my vote so far goes to the US Military.

The main problem it carries is that its

A) Run by a democratic state, which makes it difficult to prolong a war when one of the main tenets of a democratic state can also hinder the progress of a war (the free media)

B) Built to fight a major power-paradigm - a performance between US and China would yield much better results than US and Iraq, for example, as the US army seems to work best when it carries defined military keypoints and objectives, not just 'War on Terror'

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:09 pm

NATO forces...

/thread

Meridistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Meridistan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Well, while I would vote for the US in this case, I must say that it isn't nearly as effective or powerful as it could be. From the acquisition corruption, to the petty infighting and budget contests between the branches, to the tendency to cling to outdated or ineffective policies (Such as Generals in love with syncronization and the Air Force's love affair with interdiction missions rather than close air support), the military just doesn't seem to preform as well as it should, given the budget that it has. I can't help but wonder if other countries with far smaller military budgets are able to avoid these problems.

Jenrak wrote:A) Run by a democratic state, which makes it difficult to prolong a war when one of the main tenets of a democratic state can also hinder the progress of a war (the free media)

Well, that same press can at times be the catalyst for going to war, or the factor that sustains a country's drive to continue a war rather than pull out. It all depends on the circumstances, what is witnessed, what is reported, and how the reported events are interpreted/spun.

Soviet Taoistan
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Taoistan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:16 pm

Costa Rica! It has the best army in that it voluntarily has no army.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:18 pm

The US army.

Or maybe the Roman Army... Have we conquered most of Europe?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:23 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:The US army.

Or maybe the Roman Army... Have we conquered most of Europe?

Im pretty sure we've covered a larger land area across the world, IIRC....

But, the US Army is far more efficient than the Roman Army was, as are nearly all Armies in the First World, progress my friend, ;) ...

The South Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:24 pm

murkia fuck yeah

/drunk
IL Ruffino: The wind flows / The hair on TSI's ass glides as if airborn / Smell the freshly cut grass
Gravlen: If I can blame you? Of course I can! I mean, you're like a walking cathalyst for homosexuality, driving otherwise straight men to write haikus about your ass hair...

So it's a wonder that your presence alone in any thread don't derail them and lead to debates about world leaders and homoerotic desires.

Sarkhaan: You. Put your pants back on.

The Future Kingdom
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Future Kingdom » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:25 pm

USA can kick chinese ass with our best navy, airforce, and ground forces

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Maurepas wrote:Im pretty sure we've covered a larger land area across the world, IIRC....

But, the US Army is far more efficient than the Roman Army was, as are nearly all Armies in the First World, progress my friend, ;) ...

I'll hear no more of your barbarian lies! :(
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Epicnopolis
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Epicnopolis » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:32 pm

Cabickstan wrote:Due to an overwhelming population in China I would say that they can kick our ass.Britan is not that powwerful anymore.

Population doesn't mean anything. And Britain's military is the most underrated military ever.
I guarantee you that I'm more liberal than you are. Suck it. Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.10 WHAT THE HELL?

Epicnopolis's wikistates page. (However crappy it might be!)

Proud Member and Co-Founder of the The MDISC Alliance

DEFCON: |1| |2| |3| |4| |5|

Storm Round
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Storm Round » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Personally, I don't think that there is a best army in the world. Its the strategies employed and the training and motivation of the soldiers that are important.
Last edited by Storm Round on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:46 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
Hairless Kitten II wrote:How old are you, kid?

Get off this thread, not only are you contributing nothing but uninsulting "insults" as you might call them in your fantasy world, but your flag is making me question my sexuality.

It's a trap!?! D:
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Frangland wrote:All-around -- considering factors like size, weapons/technology, organization, tactics, quality of training, and mobility (assuming those are some of the main factors...) -- not to be a homer, but I think the answer is the US.

An equally interesting question is this (not to hijack the thread):

What is the top special operations unit?

A few well-known examples are the British SAS, US Delta Force and French GIGN (I think that's what it's called).

The GIGN (Groupe d'Intervention de Gendarmerie Nationale) is NOT a special forces unit per se. It's a police-based counter terrorist group.

If you want French SF troops, look here:

The entire military's SF groupings fall under the command of the COS...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commandement_des_Op%C3%A9rations_Sp%C3%A9ciales

The SAS equivalent is this (they were founded by the SAS, so they even have the same motto):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Marine_Infantry_Parachute_Regiment

Kraveska
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kraveska » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Lol, who freaking chose France?

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:57 pm

Kraveska wrote:Lol, who freaking chose France?

Me. Any problems?

Noders
Senator

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Noders » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Arivada wrote:
Hairless Kitten II wrote:Is there an age limit on this thread?

I assume you can't enter the 'debate' when you're over 12 year old?

What the...?

You Got that right Matey
Socialdemokraterne wrote:Noders: Only the finest books and pizza. And books about pizza. Not so much their book-flavored pizzas, though.

Me=Noders God of pissing you off
Parkus= God Of Sex and Cool and lots of Cigs
Menassa= God of the Jews
Spreewerke=God of the AK
Indeos=God of you know what just a bloody god
Xarithis= God Of World Domination
"Ruthless and efficient in the bedroom as well as on the battlefield, Britannia is the living emblem of strength, persistence, and dignity and Really Fucking Good Line Art.

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:01 pm

[quote="Arivada";p="476007"][quote="Anemos Major";p="475996"][quote="Khodoristan";p="475984"]US army is best. Best training, equipment, strategies. It has force projection that other nations cannot even imagine.[/quote]

They can get the troops there, but once they get there they can't really do shit, to be frank.[/quote]
We've crushed the Panamians,Grenadians,Iraqis,Germans,North Koreans,Japanese etc.[/quote]
Um, Korea was a tie. And the other nations aren't exactly known for having the best militaries.

To Anemos Major:
WOOT Viva la France!
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:03 pm

Bavin wrote:Um, Korea was a tie. And the other nations aren't exactly known for having the best militaries.

To Anemos Major:
WOOT Viva la France!

Korea was 50 years ago, against North Korea and China. :meh:

Samatolian City-States
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Samatolian City-States » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:03 pm

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Corruption is evil. Therefore, power is evil. Absolute power is absolute evil.

Noders
Senator

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Noders » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:04 pm

Jimanistan wrote:Armies are for petty children...

Wouldn't the Second World War have been way easier if we defeated the Axis in a street race? The T-34 could definitely outrun a panzer...

you may be right but the sure couldn't out run my Dog
Socialdemokraterne wrote:Noders: Only the finest books and pizza. And books about pizza. Not so much their book-flavored pizzas, though.

Me=Noders God of pissing you off
Parkus= God Of Sex and Cool and lots of Cigs
Menassa= God of the Jews
Spreewerke=God of the AK
Indeos=God of you know what just a bloody god
Xarithis= God Of World Domination
"Ruthless and efficient in the bedroom as well as on the battlefield, Britannia is the living emblem of strength, persistence, and dignity and Really Fucking Good Line Art.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:07 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Bavin wrote:Um, Korea was a tie. And the other nations aren't exactly known for having the best militaries.

To Anemos Major:
WOOT Viva la France!

It was. Looks like the US is steadily getting worse at what they do.

And Bavin... pretty much. Although it's 'vive', not 'viva'.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Anemos Major wrote:It was. Looks like the US is steadily getting worse at what they do.

Pardon?

Samatolian City-States
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Samatolian City-States » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Anemos Major wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:

To Anemos Major:
WOOT Viva la France!

It was. Looks like the US is steadily getting worse at what they do.

Maybe it's because we're not fighting countries anymore.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Corruption is evil. Therefore, power is evil. Absolute power is absolute evil.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:16 pm

They won't be pulling out of the Middle East for a while. In short, the USA are waging wars they can't finish quickly. Korea was a military defeat, and the South Koreans appreciated what they did. In Vietnam, parts of the South did, before they were snuffed out. Iraq and Afghanistan? Look at the popular comments. They may have won militarily (not in Afghanistan), but certainly not politically.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General