NATION

PASSWORD

Smoking thread!!!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
New New Alchemy
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Smoking thread!!!

Postby New New Alchemy » Mon May 25, 2009 7:21 pm

So I started smoking cigarettes recently, only about 4-6 per day, and I'm currently contimplating my decision. On the web, there's a lot of anti-smoking info, as well as in the library. I enjoy my cigarettes though, and with all the anti-smoking info, I feel like I'm not being told the full truth.

So im starting a discussion here, to the people of NSG, do you smoking cigarettes? If so, which brand and how many? Why do you smoke? Do you enjoy it?

User avatar
Ravea
Senator
 
Posts: 3622
Founded: Antiquity
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Ravea » Mon May 25, 2009 7:48 pm

New New Alchemy wrote:So I started smoking cigarettes recently, only about 4-6 per day, and I'm currently contimplating my decision. On the web, there's a lot of anti-smoking info, as well as in the library. I enjoy my cigarettes though, and with all the anti-smoking info, I feel like I'm not being told the full truth.

So im starting a discussion here, to the people of NSG, do you smoking cigarettes? If so, which brand and how many? Why do you smoke? Do you enjoy it?


I don't smoke. Have fun getting cancer.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

User avatar
Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12411
Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Mon May 25, 2009 7:54 pm

Why don't you pick up an addiction that's easier to break, like heroin?
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

User avatar
Parthenon
Senator
 
Posts: 3512
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Parthenon » Mon May 25, 2009 7:54 pm

Only smoke cigars and do so on rare occasions. (Football tailgates, go Wolfpack!)
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

User avatar
Intiut
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Intiut » Mon May 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Half pack Marlboro Reds or Camels a day. Beautiful pick me up when working long shifts.

User avatar
NERVUN
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 29452
Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby NERVUN » Mon May 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Parthenon wrote:Only smoke cigars and do so on rare occasions. (Football tailgates, go Wolfpack!)

Which Wolfpack are we talking about?
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

User avatar
Anmhonm
Attaché
 
Posts: 97
Founded: May 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Anmhonm » Mon May 25, 2009 7:58 pm

"Smoking is bad for you."
- Doctor Obvious (Captain Obvious' day job)
"Jelly donuts are the best!"
-Fat Guy seconds before a heart attack

User avatar
Parthenon
Senator
 
Posts: 3512
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Parthenon » Mon May 25, 2009 8:01 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Parthenon wrote:Only smoke cigars and do so on rare occasions. (Football tailgates, go Wolfpack!)

Which Wolfpack are we talking about?

NC State
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

User avatar
NERVUN
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 29452
Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby NERVUN » Mon May 25, 2009 8:09 pm

Parthenon wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Parthenon wrote:Only smoke cigars and do so on rare occasions. (Football tailgates, go Wolfpack!)

Which Wolfpack are we talking about?

NC State

Pffft, Never mind. I'll just cheer on the Pack on my own then.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

User avatar
Mreviac
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: May 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Mreviac » Mon May 25, 2009 8:09 pm

I smoke about the same amount as you do, and I have been for about five years. I haven't noticed any difference in my health, and neither has my doctor. I don't think smoking in moderation is horrible for you. It's not good for you, and smoking a lot can cause some pretty serious health complications, but I don't think smoking that amount will kill you. I smoke Camel Filters, unfiltered Lucky Strikes, Marlboro Reds, and Camel Turkish Royals. I don't mean to sound contradictory when I say smoking can kill you, but you're not in danger. Just keep it under control.

User avatar
Parthenon
Senator
 
Posts: 3512
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Parthenon » Mon May 25, 2009 8:12 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Parthenon wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Which Wolfpack are we talking about?

NC State

Pffft, Never mind. I'll just cheer on the Pack on my own then.

There can only be one.

ACC > All
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

User avatar
Bottomboys
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 8
Founded: Aug 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Bottomboys » Mon May 25, 2009 8:16 pm

Mreviac wrote:I smoke about the same amount as you do, and I have been for about five years. I haven't noticed any difference in my health, and neither has my doctor. I don't think smoking in moderation is horrible for you. It's not good for you, and smoking a lot can cause some pretty serious health complications, but I don't think smoking that amount will kill you. I smoke Camel Filters, unfiltered Lucky Strikes, Marlboro Reds, and Camel Turkish Royals. I don't mean to sound contradictory when I say smoking can kill you, but you're not in danger. Just keep it under control.


Well, when I was at school the one thing I do remember is that cigarettes don't kill - they only increase your risk. But the risk increase is no different to a person who might go for a run during heavy traffic and sucking in the fumes.

Health and lifestyle are all about risk versus enjoyment and whether one can weigh the two up against each other.

User avatar
Mreviac
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: May 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Mreviac » Mon May 25, 2009 8:19 pm

Bottomboys wrote:
Mreviac wrote:I smoke about the same amount as you do, and I have been for about five years. I haven't noticed any difference in my health, and neither has my doctor. I don't think smoking in moderation is horrible for you. It's not good for you, and smoking a lot can cause some pretty serious health complications, but I don't think smoking that amount will kill you. I smoke Camel Filters, unfiltered Lucky Strikes, Marlboro Reds, and Camel Turkish Royals. I don't mean to sound contradictory when I say smoking can kill you, but you're not in danger. Just keep it under control.


Well, when I was at school the one thing I do remember is that cigarettes don't kill - they only increase your risk. But the risk increase is no different to a person who might go for a run during heavy traffic and sucking in the fumes.

Health and lifestyle are all about risk versus enjoyment and whether one can weigh the two up against each other.


You're exactly right.

User avatar
NERVUN
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 29452
Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby NERVUN » Mon May 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Parthenon wrote:There can only be one.

ACC > All

Indeed, and Nevada was first. :P
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

User avatar
Parthenon
Senator
 
Posts: 3512
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Parthenon » Mon May 25, 2009 9:08 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Parthenon wrote:There can only be one.

ACC > All

Indeed, and Nevada was first. :P

Image
Image
As I was saying, its all about the ACC.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

User avatar
Evil Cenotopia
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 5
Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Evil Cenotopia » Mon May 25, 2009 9:16 pm

To each his own. I saw a person suffer for years and ultimately die as a result of long-term smoking so I'm never going to do it.

If you want to smoke because you enjoy it, that's up to you. But make sure you consider the potential consequences down the road.
Devious Tyrant Nationstates RP

http://s1.zetaboards.com/DeviousTyrantRP/index/

For the tyrant in all of us.

User avatar
Techno-Soviet
Senator
 
Posts: 3785
Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Techno-Soviet » Mon May 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Ravea wrote:
New New Alchemy wrote:So I started smoking cigarettes recently, only about 4-6 per day, and I'm currently contimplating my decision. On the web, there's a lot of anti-smoking info, as well as in the library. I enjoy my cigarettes though, and with all the anti-smoking info, I feel like I'm not being told the full truth.

So im starting a discussion here, to the people of NSG, do you smoking cigarettes? If so, which brand and how many? Why do you smoke? Do you enjoy it?


I don't smoke. Have fun getting cancer.


This. Smoking is ALMOST as stupid as doing illegal drugs like heroin or cocaine. They all kill, just at different rates. I don't smoke and never will, on account of slight asthma and my unwillingness to corrode my mind.
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

User avatar
Elesdee
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 13
Founded: May 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Elesdee » Mon May 25, 2009 9:27 pm

I smoke a pack and half of Marlboro Reds a day and I have for years. I can't in tell you with a good concious that you should smoke cigarettes, but I do know we only live once and you might as well enjoy yourself.
Socialism is like taking a bunch of humans and having them live like bee's instead.

User avatar
Heinleinites
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1075
Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Heinleinites » Mon May 25, 2009 11:13 pm

I'm not big on cigarettes, but I do like cigars. I smoke maybe one or two a day, maybe 5 days out of 7. Right now, I've got some pipe-tobacco cigars that a friend of mine gave me to try out for his store. I'm not sure if I like them or not. If I'm somewhere where you can't smoke(airplanes, court, church), I've been known to chew.

Anmhonm wrote:"Smoking is bad for you." - Doctor Obvious (Captain Obvious' day job)


You'd be surprised how many people feel compelled to tell me this like it's going to be news to me. I was sitting outside at a cafe, reading and smoking a cigar after lunch, and this little kid comes up to me and says 'smoking is bad for you, you know.' Instead of saying 'don't bother that man' or 'haven't I told you not to talk to strangers?' his mother just stands there. I look at the kid and say 'Didn't your mother ever teach you not to talk to strangers, kid? Get away from me before I stuff you in a sack and sell you to the circus.' That got her attention, and all of a sudden I'm the bad guy here. Hey, I'm not the one who lets his kid talk to strange men, lady.
Last edited by Heinleinites on Mon May 25, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You will never see a man who would kiss a wench or cut a throat as readily as I, but the wench must be willing, and the man must be standing up against me, else by God! either were safe enough from me." - Samkin Aylward The White Company

Heinleinite's First Rule of Comedy: "It doesn't matter if you don't think I'm funny, just so long as I think I'm funny."

User avatar
Former Oppressed Nerds
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Mar 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Former Oppressed Nerds » Mon May 25, 2009 11:32 pm

Heinleinites wrote:I was sitting outside at a cafe, reading and smoking a cigar after lunch, and this little kid comes up to me and says 'smoking is bad for you, you know.' Instead of saying 'don't bother that man' or 'haven't I told you not to talk to strangers?' his mother just stands there. I look at the kid and say 'Didn't your mother ever teach not to talk to strangers, kid? Get away from me before I stuff you in a sack and sell you to the circus.' That got her attention, and all of a sudden I'm the bad guy here. Hey, I'm not the one who lets his kid talk to strange men, lady.


That's a horrible thing to teach kids. Talking to strangers is how you make friends. In particular, when the kid is with his mom, he's safe. I see the validity of not talking to adults who want to lure kids into their cars, but "don't talk to strangers" is not something to teach kids. Besides, the kid was right about what he said, why would his mother correct him?

User avatar
Lacadaemon
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5322
Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Lacadaemon » Mon May 25, 2009 11:42 pm

There is no doubt that smoking is horrible for your health.

The flip side is that it is both tough and cool and will help you get chicks. On balance the +ve's outweigh the -ve's. Especially because you get to annoy nanny state nazis.

User avatar
Dagnia
Senator
 
Posts: 3895
Founded: Jul 27, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Dagnia » Mon May 25, 2009 11:44 pm

I started smoking a few years ago because I heard that it can help with weight loss. While diet and exercise have become more important recently, I am pretty sure that cigarettes helped me lose some of the weight before I got the will to stick to dieting and exercise. Since I have lost nearly 90 pounds in the last three years and am at a point where I am comfortable with my weight, I am trying to quit. It is not nearly as difficult as many people say, but still a real challenge. Currently I am down to one or two cigarettes a day. The biggest impediment to my quitting is all the people who say how bad smoking is and think they are better people for not smoking. In addition, I feel like continuing to smoke is a sign of resistance to the kind of people who want to take anything remotely enjoyable out of our lives. Every time some smug person says "How could you do that, that is so disgusting!" I feel like saying "F**k you! I'm gonna go light up right now just for that!". Not to mention all of the sanctimonious anti-smoking ads on television.
Last edited by Dagnia on Mon May 25, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logikie: [Dagnia seems like] some weird type of zen-fascism/hippy nazi state

Ipsedixitism does not appeal to cats.

User avatar
Ring of Isengard
Diplomat
 
Posts: 840
Founded: Feb 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Ring of Isengard » Mon May 25, 2009 11:45 pm

15 a day tops.
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count (+puppet)

Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy - Maggie T

User avatar
Elesdee
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 13
Founded: May 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Elesdee » Mon May 25, 2009 11:51 pm

Former Oppressed Nerds wrote:
Heinleinites wrote:I was sitting outside at a cafe, reading and smoking a cigar after lunch, and this little kid comes up to me and says 'smoking is bad for you, you know.' Instead of saying 'don't bother that man' or 'haven't I told you not to talk to strangers?' his mother just stands there. I look at the kid and say 'Didn't your mother ever teach not to talk to strangers, kid? Get away from me before I stuff you in a sack and sell you to the circus.' That got her attention, and all of a sudden I'm the bad guy here. Hey, I'm not the one who lets his kid talk to strange men, lady.


That's a horrible thing to teach kids. Talking to strangers is how you make friends. In particular, when the kid is with his mom, he's safe. I see the validity of not talking to adults who want to lure kids into their cars, but "don't talk to strangers" is not something to teach kids. Besides, the kid was right about what he said, why would his mother correct him?


His mom should teach him that because the world is full of awful people that do stuff like snatch your kid when you look away for a second. Also, the kids mom should not have necissarily corrected him, but certainley should teach her kid to mind his own damn business; an incredibley respectable and rare trait to have, especially as a child.
Socialism is like taking a bunch of humans and having them live like bee's instead.

User avatar
Heinleinites
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1075
Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Smoking thread!!!

Postby Heinleinites » Mon May 25, 2009 11:52 pm

Former Oppressed Nerds wrote:That's a horrible thing to teach kids. Talking to strangers is how you make friends.


Yeah, on Sesame Street maybe, where the greatest danger you might run into is Oscar yelling at you. In the real world, talking to strangers is how your kid gets snatched and then two years later the cops are pulling bits of his skeleton out of a storm drain. When I was a kid(lo, these many years ago) 'don't talk to strangers' was Rule #1. Well, actually, 'don't hit your brothers unless they hit you first' was Rule #1, but 'don't talk to strangers' was right behind it.

Former Oppressed Nerds wrote:Besides, the kid was right about what he said, why would his mother correct him?


Besides the aforementioned concepts of 'don't bother that man' and 'don't talk to strangers?' How about she teaches the kid the concept of 'a time and a place' then? I'm not interested in being lectured on my behavior by someone who still wears rubber underpants and believes in the Tooth Fairy.
Last edited by Heinleinites on Mon May 25, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You will never see a man who would kiss a wench or cut a throat as readily as I, but the wench must be willing, and the man must be standing up against me, else by God! either were safe enough from me." - Samkin Aylward The White Company

Heinleinite's First Rule of Comedy: "It doesn't matter if you don't think I'm funny, just so long as I think I'm funny."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A Thousand Islands, Aggicificicerous, Alcala-Cordel, Australian rePublic, Bombadil, Cannot think of a name, Conservative Republic Of Huang, Dresderstan, Drew Durrnil, Dunkirlothesia, Esalia, Galloism, Google [Bot], Goraria, Ifreann, Istoreya, Kanadorika, Krasny-Volny, Myrensis, Narland, Neu California, Ngelmish, Pogchampton, Senkaku, The Greater Ohio Valley, The Reformed American Republic, Uiiop, Washington Resistance Army, Wille-Harlia, Xmara

Advertisement

Remove ads