NATION

PASSWORD

Corpse of wanted baby dumped in garbage, parents furious

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Nulono
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Corpse of wanted baby dumped in garbage, parents furious

Postby Nulono » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Missing baby hell for couple as dead foetus thrown in garbage

Parents wanted a burial after miscarriage
Say they were told foetus probably thrown out
Minister apologises, says he'll investigate

A YOUNG Forrestfield couple are considering legal action after their dead foetus was thrown out in the garbage at a Perth hospital.
Mother-of-two Lisa and her husband Charlie were left distraught and in shock after Lisa suffered a miscarriage at 17 weeks, Perth Now reports.
She was then told by hospital staff that their baby had been discarded with the hospital's medical waste.
The couple had arrived at Swan District Hospital on April 25 knowing there was a problem with the pregnancy.
Staff informed Lisa the following day she had miscarried and that their baby would be transferred to King Edward Memorial Hospital for genetic testing and to determine a reason for the miscarriage.

The couple contacted King Edward the following day but were given no answers.

On April 27, Lisa and husband were told by a nurse at Swan District Hospital that "it's not a baby, it's just a foetus" and that it had "probably been thrown out with the medical waste".
The couple had wanted to take their baby's body home to bury.

Lawyer John Hammond, who has taken on the couple's case, said there was an obligation for the hospital to report the death of a foetus to the Registry of Births and Deaths after 20 weeks.

Although Lisa was only 17 weeks into her pregnancy, Mr Hammond said she was entitled to take the foetus home to bury.

Health Minister Kim Hames today apologised to the couple and said he would investigate the incident.

The North Metropolitan Area Health Service, which is responsible for both hospitals, said Swan District Hospital had erred in its treatment of the family.
“It is usual practice for any decisions on the management of a miscarried fetus to be discussed with and determined by the parents and we regret that this process was not followed in this instance," a spokesperson said.
Read more about the couple told their foetus had been discarded with medical waste at Perth Now.

http://www.news.com.au/national/missing ... 6094114716

This kind of thing simply disgusts me. I'm not familiar with other states, but Ohio has the Grieving Parents Act, which lets parents request a death certificate and burial regardless of the stage at which the miscarriage/stillbirth occurred. I can't imagine what they must be going through, and it disgusts me that someone could be so callous. :evil:
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Numbers written with an apostrophe are in dozenal unless otherwise noted.
For example, 0'3 = 0.25, and 100' = 144.

Ratios are measured in perunums instead of percent.
1 perunum = 100 percent = 84' percent

The Nuclear Fist wrote:If all it it takes to count as a five star hotel in America is having air conditioning and not letting those who reside in it die of hyperthermia, you have shitty hotels.

Republika Jugoslavija wrote:Actually nuclear war is not the world ending scenario that many would have folks believe.

Greater Cabinda
Senator

Founded: Jun 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Cabinda » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Really, another one?

When will someone just make an abortion megathread so we don't have to deal with this shit on a weekly basis.
No, I wasn't banned, but this profile is now inactive due to it being abandoned by it's owner...

New Conglomerate is his new profile. Also, the first person to telegram him at his new profile gets the link to his former flag.

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:58 pm

Greater Cabinda wrote:Really, another one?

When will someone just make an abortion megathread so we don't have to deal with this shit on a weekly basis.

This was a MISCARRIAGE, Einstein. This is not an abortion thread, unless you want to include spontaneous abortions in there.

The Nuclear Fist wrote:If all it it takes to count as a five star hotel in America is having air conditioning and not letting those who reside in it die of hyperthermia, you have shitty hotels.

Republika Jugoslavija wrote:Actually nuclear war is not the world ending scenario that many would have folks believe.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Nulono wrote:
Greater Cabinda wrote:Really, another one?

This was a MISCARRIAGE, Einstein. This is not an abortion thread, unless you want to include spontaneous abortions in there.

He has a point though. There should be an abortion megathread.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Ovisterra wrote:
Nulono wrote:This was a MISCARRIAGE, Einstein. This is not an abortion thread, unless you want to include spontaneous abortions in there.

I thought there was already.

Sythril
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sythril » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Ovisterra wrote:
Nulono wrote:This was a MISCARRIAGE, Einstein. This is not an abortion thread, unless you want to include spontaneous abortions in there.

and it's completely off topic so go to an abortion thread if you want to discuss this instead of continuing to derail this
Last edited by Sythril on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Nulono wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

I thought there was already.

I've been here a year and never seen one. That doesn't mean there isn't one, but I spend stupidly large amounts of time on NSG.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Sythril wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

and it's completely off topic so go to an abortion thread if you want to discuss this instead of continuing to derail this

Two posts is not a threadjack. Chill the beans. We're about to get back on topic.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:28 pm

This is awful to say, but it's true;

I lol'd when I read this.
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Founded: Jul 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:28 pm

Ovisterra wrote:

No, there really, really shouldn't.

Anyway, on the actual topic, that was dumb of the hospital. I'm not sure what we're meant to discuss, though, since I can't imagine many people will have particularly strong arguments against "the hospital should have followed their usual procedures."
Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things. - Reichskommissariat ost
...if you poop just to poop, then it is immoral. - Bandarikin
And if abortion was illegal, there wouldn't be male doctors - Green Port
Stop making a potato punch itself in the scrote after first manifesting a fist and a scrote. - RepentNowOrPayLater
And...you aren't aroused by the premise of a snot-hocking giraffe leaping through a third story bay window after a sex toy? What are you...I mean...are you some kind of weirdo or something? - Hammurab

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:28 pm

Augarundus wrote:This is awful to say, but it's true;

I lol'd when I read this.

That is awful. :(

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:30 pm

The Norwegian Blue wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

Anyway, on the actual topic, that was dumb of the hospital. I'm not sure what we're meant to discuss, though, since I can't imagine many people will have particularly strong arguments against "the hospital should have followed their usual procedures."

Who says all threads have to be arguments?

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Nulono wrote:
The Norwegian Blue wrote:

Who says all threads have to be arguments?

They have to be discussions, and there's not much to discuss here.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:34 pm

They should have given them a recently removed appendix and told them that was the baby. They wouldn't know the difference.

Now if anybody needs me, I'll be roasting in the bowels of Hell. :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:They should have given them a recently removed appendix and told them that was the baby. They wouldn't know the difference.

Now if anybody needs me, I'll be roasting in the bowels of Hell. :)

Oh no. I find myself agreeing, I'll be in hell too.

Khodoristan
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:36 pm

I hate it when you hear about little kids/babies dying. Just this past week a little boy from my dads neighborhood got abducted and murdered as he walked home from camp.

My prayers go out to this family and their baby. :(
Economic Left/Right: -3.88, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.69 (centrist)
DERECON: 1 2 3 4 5

REST IN PEACE UNDERØATH 11/30/97-1/26/13
Pro: NATO, SEATO, ANZUS, EU, ROC, ROK, Japan, Israel, Russia, Turkey, India, gay rights, fiscal and social liberalism, Christianity, Judaism
Against: Iran, Pakistan, China, DPRK, Venezuela, racism, sexism, abortion, Islam, conservatism, military aggression

I'm a nihilistic Catholic. Yes, we do exist.

Zepplien
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zepplien » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Khodoristan wrote:I hate it when you hear about little kids/babies dying. Just this past week a little boy from my dads neighborhood got abducted and murdered as he walked home from camp.

I agree with the sentiment but this was not a child it was 13 weeks into development
Generation 29 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)
Come to the Communist side, we have Cookies Wheat
I take boring you to a whole new level!
Never mistake my IC nation for communism. think of it as Zepism, something unique and terrifying
Ode to Zepplin:

You Play as a Bisexual think tank, in a woemans body so gracefully... But as quickly as you came you are gone playing a Chineese Clone... Then you are a stupid, homocidal iddiot who will kill 1000 people for his own power... You are my hero.

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Zepplien wrote:
Khodoristan wrote:I hate it when you hear about little kids/babies dying. Just this past week a little boy from my dads neighborhood got abducted and murdered as he walked home from camp.

I agree with the sentiment but this was not a child it was 13 weeks into development

Khodoristan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Zepplien wrote:

True, but its saddening to hear someone so innocent and defenceless dying, regardless of age.

Pro: NATO, SEATO, ANZUS, EU, ROC, ROK, Japan, Israel, Russia, Turkey, India, gay rights, fiscal and social liberalism, Christianity, Judaism
Against: Iran, Pakistan, China, DPRK, Venezuela, racism, sexism, abortion, Islam, conservatism, military aggression

Greater Cabinda
Senator

Founded: Jun 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Cabinda » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Nulono wrote:
Zepplien wrote:I agree with the sentiment but this was not a child it was 13 weeks into development

Appeal to emotion again, Nul?

When will you learn that we're all heartless bastards?

Although, you are right. After the 12th week, a fetus is legally human.
Last edited by Greater Cabinda on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, I wasn't banned, but this profile is now inactive due to it being abandoned by it's owner...

New Conglomerate is his new profile. Also, the first person to telegram him at his new profile gets the link to his former flag.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:52 pm

It doesn't have human rights until it's 2 years old, guys (approximate point at which rationale/capacity for rational is developed). No need to freak out because some mass of flesh was thrown in a tin can.
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Greater Cabinda wrote:
Nulono wrote:Image

Pointing to the actual definition of "child" didn't work, so I decided to try another tactic.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Greater Cabinda wrote:
Nulono wrote:Image

But they aren't viable until what.. 21 weeks I believe? That's when (in my mind) it becomes 'a person', but this an abortion opinion and not relevant to this discussion.

Its a terrible thing for them to lose the child they wanted so bad but I'm not certain they have a reason to be so outraged; the Hospital, having not been informed otherwise, followed the standard procedure and did what it was supposed to do.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Khodoristan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Catholic upbringing aside...that's just messed up calling a BABY a MASS :meh: OF FLESH.

Zepplien
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zepplien » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Khodoristan wrote:Catholic upbringing aside...that's just messed up calling a BABY a MASS :meh: OF FLESH.

But true
No?
Generation 29 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)
Come to the Communist side, we have Cookies Wheat
I take boring you to a whole new level!
Never mistake my IC nation for communism. think of it as Zepism, something unique and terrifying
Ode to Zepplin:

You Play as a Bisexual think tank, in a woemans body so gracefully... But as quickly as you came you are gone playing a Chineese Clone... Then you are a stupid, homocidal iddiot who will kill 1000 people for his own power... You are my hero.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General