NATION

PASSWORD

Is it OK to hit a girl?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In today's society, is it, morally speaking, still worse for a male to hit a female?

Yes
36%
No
48%
Girl fight! Girl fight! Girl fight!
16%

Total votes : 605

The Kangaroo Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kangaroo Republic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:39 am

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Madurapore wrote:Everytime you feel like hitting a girl, suppose that you are facing your mom or your sister.
Think before doing, diplomacy uber alles.

That might not be the best suggestion for some...

Especially for those who had abusive bigger sisters who like to steal away your toys and give you a wedgie and call you a boob.
*runs to corner to cry*
...Wait, I don't have a sister.
Sub Astra --- Australes Unum
they/them or he/him pronouns please
Version 3 of the Kangaroo Republic started on 9 March, 2014

>>Go to factbook<<

Other names for the Kangaroo Republic: The Federation, FKR, The Federal Kangaroo Republic
Demonym: Macropodine, Kangan
NS resident kangaroo furry and therian.
Demsoc, Pro BLM, Pro Antifa
Big ol' non-binary duder

Seperate Vermont
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperate Vermont » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:39 am

People don't like to see bad things, regardless of any equal or sensible context.
Connopolis wrote:Abuse in general is wrong, but the idea of hitting a male hitting a female in general is a hypocrisy. Having equal rights with males means having to forfeit any gender-biased morals. If males and females are to be equal, it doesn't matter who hits who, it's equally wrong.

But of course, the argument used against equality in this manner will be the same as the "violence is morally wrong" bit. It prevents any stride in, ultimately, reducing violence. Any attempt to state that gender doesn't matter will be afforded cries of "Violence isn't the answer!" and "Gender is different!", completely ignoring it's existence on the other side.
No, we are not obsessed with Maple Syrup. Speaking of that, Would you like some 100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup? We have a surplus this year.
http://www.mechiwiki.com/nationstates/index.php?nation=Seperate_Vermont
GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Shelled Reptiles
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shelled Reptiles » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:39 am

Unilisia wrote:Pretty much this. Although to be honest, I see more girls beating guys than the other way around.

There's a reason for that, actually. Mainly, this.

Siylva
Attaché

Founded: Feb 26, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Siylva » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:39 am

Astrolinium wrote:...While I think hitting anyone is usually morally wrong...

You should probably stop there.

Many would say it's morally wrong to hit anyone, making the question of whether a person's gender should factor into it moot.

Seperate Vermont
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperate Vermont » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:40 am

Madurapore wrote:Everytime you feel like hitting a girl, suppose that you are facing your mom or your sister.
Think before doing, diplomacy uber alles.

Ah, but should females think of doing this before hitting males?

You can't claim equality and downsizing violence while ignoring that fact.
No, we are not obsessed with Maple Syrup. Speaking of that, Would you like some 100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup? We have a surplus this year.
GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:40 am

why does this question always come up? is there some rouge gang of girls travelling the globe beating up gentlemen?

It is generally frowned upon to get into fistycuffs with the opposite sex, from a male on female perspective it is bad because as a guy you can more or less be expected to easily pummel her (unless she is particularly 'ard) and from a female on male view she is viewed as someone who as the OP suggest is using her sex to get away with being a cunt.

So my genius conclusion is don't get into a fight unless your quite clearly defending yourself. The End.

edit: yes a gang of women wearing make-up just like your local village council declared would happen
Last edited by Call to power on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:40 am

Hopefully I'll never be in that situation (Thank goodness that case in particular has never happened in my 22 years of life, I always do my best not to fight), but if I must defend myself (as in, she's coming at me full on), then I guess I'd have to.
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maglonian Tribes
Attaché

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Maglonian Tribes » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:41 am

Depends, self defense? Yes. To get her to stop freaking out and spazing? Yes. To be that guy who wears a wife beater? No.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:41 am

The Kangaroo Republic wrote:
That might not be the best suggestion for some...

Especially for those who had abusive bigger sisters who like to steal away your toys and give you a wedgie and call you a boob.
*runs to corner to cry*
...Wait, I don't have a sister.

So who was the lady who took away your stuff, crunched your junk, and called you a boob? :P

Seperate Vermont
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperate Vermont » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:42 am

Siylva wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:...While I think hitting anyone is usually morally wrong...

Many would say it's morally wrong to hit anyone, making the question of whether a person's gender should factor into it moot.

But of course it will be cited by some, intentionally or unintentionally protecting the status quo.

Lykosia
Minister

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:47 am

teh poll:
Yes
16 -41%

No
17-44%

6-15%

Debate incoming....

Ewa beach
Senator

Founded: Jul 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ewa beach » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:47 am

It's never okay to hit a girl, unless in self defense. Other than that, no.
KINGDOM OF EWA BEACH
POPULATION CAP: 41,326,984
Can you move like Bernie?

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 am

Lykosia wrote:teh poll:
Yes
16 -41%

No
17-44%

6-15%

Debate incoming....

---------------------------------------(Image)

You failed at making an image. :eyebrow: I am not amused.
Last edited by Mike the Progressive on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lykosia
Minister

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 am

Lykosia wrote:teh poll:
Yes
16 -41%

No
17-44%

6-15%

Debate incoming....

---------------------------------------(Image)

You failed at making an image. :eyebrow: I am not amused.

Who's joking anyway? :p
Last edited by Lykosia on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Siylva
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Siylva » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:50 am

Seperate Vermont wrote:
Siylva wrote:

But of course it will be cited by some, intentionally or unintentionally protecting the status quo.

Sure, it will be cited by some but those people probably aren't the types who think violence is morally wrong anyway. The thing that needs to be emphasized to them is that gender, race, size, and all that really don't matter because the act of violence itself is morally wrong.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:51 am

If someone assaults you, you can defend yourself.

I never thought the "women can hit men and they can't do a thing about it" practice was fair or right. I solve that by NEVER lifting my hands to ANYONE in anger unless it's to defend myself or others.

And no, someone saying something nasty is not grounds for popping them one.

Vetok
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Vetok » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:51 am

If someone swings for me, I'd punch them no matter who they are. Gender is not a magic immunity to violence.

The King of Democracy
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The King of Democracy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:52 am

Astrolinium wrote:So, unless you've been living under a rock for the past I-don't-know-how-many years, you may have noticed recently that women have been moving away from the sandwich-making counter of the kitchen and into the equal rights room. But that's not exactly what we're here to talk about. No, today I'd like to ask NSG's thoughts on a related issue.
In today's society, is it, morally speaking, still worse for a male to hit a female than for a male to hit a male, a female to hit a male, or a female to hit a female?

I think that it's not. While I think hitting anyone is usually morally wrong, the gender of the person being hit and the gender of the person doing the hitting shouldn't factor in at all. We live in a society where a woman can do (in theory, at least) whatever she puts her mind to, just like a man. If you want equality, you have to take all or nothing, and that means you don't get a pedestal where you're shielded from the negative consequences of your actions. If male-on-female violence is more reprehensible than other combinations of gender and violence, then women might as well grab the loaf of bread and get back in the kitchen, because they clearly don't really want equal equal rights and treatment.

But what do you think, NSG?

Disclaimer: I do not advocate going out into your kitchen and brutally assaulting with a fish the nearest woman who refuses to make you a sammich, regardless of the suspiciousness of putting this disclaimer here when I mentioned no such action in the main body of my post.

Are you seriously bringing this up? Nobody should hit each other plain and simple. Forget about morals people just do what is right try avoiding violence as much as you can. There is this thing in everyone’s head that makes them know what is right and what is wrong use it and the world will be a better place. Remember equality and good decision making is the key to happiness. Even when you’re wrong commit to make it right and the world will also do good things back to you. Remember you don’t know who knows who if you do good for a complete stranger he may know your boss and there may been an unseen benefit for you. The worlds small and any act of goodness will affect you and the people around you in a good way.

Siylva
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Siylva » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:52 am

Vetok wrote:If someone swings for me, I'd punch them no matter who they are.

So if a child kicks you in the leg in anger, you'd punch him?

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:53 am

In the rare circumstance that it's OK to hit someone, then it's OK to hit someone irrespective of their gender.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Tannarabia
Envoy

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tannarabia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:54 am

Hitting someone in general is morally wrong, unless of course it is in self defense or defending another; I don't believe gender should be a factor in it.
Paradise is found in the mind!
My country does represent my political beliefs!
Freedom is more important than life! Well, your life, that is...
http://www.nstracker.net/tannarabia We use this
I believe in Heliocentrism.
Econ: -10 Social: -9.5
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you?

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:54 am

Siylva wrote:

No, you just spank them on the buttocks (said like Forrest Gump would). Got to keep the women in their place. *nods*

Hint: It begins with a 'K,' followed by an 'itch' and ends with an 'en.'
Last edited by Mike the Progressive on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vetok
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Vetok » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:55 am

Siylva wrote:

What a stupid remark to make. Seriously, that's not even worth an answer.

Kazomal
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kazomal » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:57 am

::sigh::

You shouldn't hit anyone. Self-defense is justified. Gender is a non-factor.
Check out Rabbit Punch, the MMA, Sports, News & Politics blog, now in two great flavors!

Rabbit Punch: Sports (MMA and Sports Blog)- http://www.rabbitpunch1.blogspot.com
Rabbit Punch: Politics (News and Politics, the Ultimate Contact Sports)- http://rabbitpunchpolitics.blogspot.com/

Siylva
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Siylva » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:57 am

Siylva wrote:

No, you just spank them on the buttocks

...Or you could always make it clear to them that kicking isn't to be tolerated with words or some non-violent repercussion. You don't have to physically harm the child at all.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General