NATION

PASSWORD

Micronations

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Czervania (Ancient)
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Micronations

Postby Czervania (Ancient) » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:54 pm

What's your opinion on them? Do you think they actually have any credibility, do you think they're as relevant as a wholly established nation, or do you think they deserve to be ignored?

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Czervania wrote:What's your opinion on them? Do you think they actually have any credibility, do you think they're as relevant as a wholly established nation, or do you think they deserve to be ignored?

Well, the Vatican is officially a sovereign micronation...
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:56 pm

As the to-be sovereign of Sealand and/or Fort Montgomery, I believe these micronations have the right to represent themselves as sovereign, independent nations.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Keronians wrote:
Czervania wrote:What's your opinion on them? Do you think they actually have any credibility, do you think they're as relevant as a wholly established nation, or do you think they deserve to be ignored?

No, its a microstate.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Do you think they actually have any credibility, do you think they're as relevant as a wholly established nation, or do you think they deserve to be ignored?

Yes, I do think they have a certain degree of credibility, of course it does depend on the micronation. Unless they're a humorous tongue-in-cheek kind of thing, or something that's absolutely absurd, then they should probably be looked upon by already established nations. Most micronations don't seem to be that significant right now, but I'd say the most probable ones are Sealand, Seborga, and Hutt River. All three of them seem pretty cool to me, and I think other nations should recognize them as sovereign states.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Keronians wrote:

No, its a microstate.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference?
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:21 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:No, its a microstate.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference?

A microstate is a recognized, sovereign nation that is, as I said, recognized by the international community. Microstates include The Vatican, Morocco, Andora, Lichtenstein, and whatnot. They differ from micronations in that they have a sustainable economy, can have and maintain a standing army, and enter in international relations, and the like. Basically, they are simply small nations. Contrary to their names, micronations are not recognized, usually do not have a functioning economy, no standing army, and no real form of sovereignty. Basically, the thing separating them, mainly, is recognized sovereignty. A micronation is, most of the time, in the territory of an established nation, and is refused independence. A microstate, however, is independent and maintains its own territory on its own terms.

@}-;-'---

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference?

A microstate is a recognized, sovereign nation that is, as I said, recognized by the international community. Microstates include The Vatican, Morocco, Andora, Lichtenstein, and whatnot. They differ from micronations in that they have a sustainable economy, can have and maintain a standing army, and enter in international relations, and the like. Basically, they are simply small nations. Contrary to their names, micronations are not recognized, usually do not have a functioning economy, no standing army, and no real form of sovereignty. Basically, the thing separating them, mainly, is recognized sovereignty. A micronation is, most of the time, in the territory of an established nation, and is refused independence. A microstate, however, is independent and maintains its own territory on its own terms.

Ahh, thank you for the lesson. Seems like they would pick names that weren't so similar when defining these things.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Greater Cabinda
Senator

Founded: Jun 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Cabinda » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:

Does Sealand have any claims to independence?
No, I wasn't banned, but this profile is now inactive due to it being abandoned by it's owner...

New Conglomerate is his new profile. Also, the first person to telegram him at his new profile gets the link to his former flag.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Most micro nations are too small to have any importance. Except for maybe the Vatican, since as head of the Catholic church they have hundreds of millions of followers (if not more) all over the world.
Last edited by Saiwania on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Arajaka
Envoy

Founded: Jul 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arajaka » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:

A microstate is a recognized, sovereign nation that is, as I said, recognized by the international community. Microstates include The Vatican, Morocco, Andora, Lichtenstein, and whatnot..

Morocco is definitely not a microstate. I think maybe you meant Monaco?

[/nitpick]

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Greater Cabinda wrote:Does Sealand have any claims to independence?

Actually, yes. During the time when Prince Roy claimed the fort as Sealand, it was officially out of any nation's territorial waters, and therefore outside of the jurisdiction of any nation near him. And, even though Sealand fell under the expansion to twelve miles later on, he was still independent, under the same clause that maintained the Falklands as property of the United Kingdom. Essentially, he exploited a loophole. Also, considering the United Kingdom ruled that they hold no claim to Sealand, and that Belgium(Maybe Belgium; Them, The Netherlands or Germany, I can never recall) sent a diplomat to negotiate for the release of prisoners of war following the attempted invasion of Sealand by mercenaries, Prince Roy claims that he has de facto recognition by two nations, and a claim to independence.

@}-;-'---

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Arajaka wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:A microstate is a recognized, sovereign nation that is, as I said, recognized by the international community. Microstates include The Vatican, Morocco, Andora, Lichtenstein, and whatnot..

Morocco is definitely not a microstate. I think maybe you meant Monaco?

[/nitpick]

Yes, I did, thank you. Must have been a spellcheck typo.

@}-;-'---

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Saiwania wrote:Most micro nations are too small to have any importance. Except for maybe the Vatican, since as head of the Catholic church they have hundreds of millions of followers (if not more) all over the world.

*shakes head* Oh young one. You have much to learn of the entity known as lip-service... which I recently found out has nothing to do with hookers and $5 blow-jobs.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Aurora-Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora-Nova » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Do I think that legally, many of them do indeed have legitimacy? Yes. Do I think any of them will ever achieve recognition of that legitimacy? Nope.

Disclaimer: I'm a citizen of the Aerican Empire, and have maintained a business relationship with the Republic of Molossia.
As we speak, the Libyan people are being
massacred by terrorists in arms against the
legitimate government. The elderly, women,
children... everyone in Libya is in danger tonight.
Help raise awareness and support Gaddafi!
“I believe that Palestine is an occupied land
from the Mediterranean Sea to the Jordan River,
and this is the right of the entire
Palestinian people, this land.”

~Sayyid Hassan Nasrallah
Union of Aurora Nova | Union d'Aurore-Neuve
Deus Imperatorque Populusque
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

-------------------------
Anti-Israel · Anti-USA · Pro-Hamas · Pro-Hezbollah · Pro-Gaddafi · Pro-DPRK
-------------------------
My views are often radical, and may offend some people.
Be aware that I will always speak my truly-held beliefs, however offensive or unpopular they may be to others.

Slaytesics
Minister

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Slaytesics » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:31 pm

1. You forgot Molossia

2. I was JUST about to post this topic xD
My favorite quotes.

Ballotonia wrote:Total BS.
Wanna meet girls? Go play Farmville.
Ballotonia

Timurid Empire wrote:I do not understand people like this. How can you fear any human being or interaction with them? We are all Human, and we all bleed the same. Unless their a Hemophiliac.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:(Image)

Ranbo wrote:Heey! I'm not perv!

You name it, you claim it. You were the one that thought of it in the first place. :p

Maryginia
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Maryginia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:33 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Greater Cabinda wrote:Does Sealand have any claims to independence?

Actually, yes. During the time when Prince Roy claimed the fort as Sealand, it was officially out of any nation's territorial waters, and therefore outside of the jurisdiction of any nation near him. And, even though Sealand fell under the expansion to twelve miles later on, he was still independent, under the same clause that maintained the Falklands as property of the United Kingdom. Essentially, he exploited a loophole. Also, considering the United Kingdom ruled that they hold no claim to Sealand, and that Belgium(Maybe Belgium; Them, The Netherlands or Germany, I can never recall) sent a diplomat to negotiate for the release of prisoners of war following the attempted invasion of Sealand by mercenaries, Prince Roy claims that he has de facto recognition by two nations, and a claim to independence.

It was germany
PRO ISRAEL AND DAMN PROUD
TAKE BACK MUSIC!
Impeach Pop music, Legalize creativity, Auto-tune is theft, Real Music forever

I SIDE WITH UKRAINE

Volmachtia
Senator

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:34 pm

My friend has a micronation named Savonia. We claim antarctica.

Episarta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Episarta » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Personally I don't think any of them have any real credibility. I don't even consider the Vatican a "true" country. Partially because I despise the religion and the pope, and they only have around 100 or so permanent residents. Not much of an economy really either. Just some tourism. Don't they basically rely on Italy for everything?

So I don't really think of micronations as being legitimate. But they can be fun to mess around with.
Last edited by Episarta on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
By the pricking of our thumbs, something wicked this way comes.
Up-to-date factbook is on my nation's main page

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:34 pm

I have one. It's my room, and recognized by one government- me.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Cresilia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresilia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Ah Micronations.

I want one.

I don't suppose they are hard to get though...
The Republic of Cresilia

Norstal wrote:NORTH KOREAN JUCHE

Cows? You no have cows. You get picture of Glorious Leader to eat instead.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:36 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:I have one. It's my room, and recognized by one government- me.

India had more on it's hands than it bargained for when it made you in a testube of curry, sperm, and kickass.
Last edited by Seperates on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Seperates wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:I have one. It's my room, and recognized by one government- me.

India had more on it's hands than it bargained for when it made you in a testube of curry, sperm, and kickass.

Damn right. I'm about to launch an invasion of the neighboring nation that does not recognize me. The Masturbation Kingdom of my Next Door Neighbor will pay for their crimes against the State.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:40 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Seperates wrote:India had more on it's hands than it bargained for when it made you in a testube of curry, sperm, and kickass.

Damn right. I'm about to launch an invasion of the neighboring nation that does not recognize me. The Masturbation Kingdom of my Next Door Neighbor will pay for their crimes against the State.

:rofl: I have nothing to say for this... I am lost for words... or words are lost for me... Lemme go check the fridge quick. They usually hide there.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Seperates wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Damn right. I'm about to launch an invasion of the neighboring nation that does not recognize me. The Masturbation Kingdom of my Next Door Neighbor will pay for their crimes against the State.

:rofl: I have nothing to say for this... I am lost for words... or words are lost for me... Lemme go check the fridge quick. They usually hide there.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=98380

Dump it there if you think it belongs in there.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General