NATION

PASSWORD

British Empire - Good or Bad?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Limeys!

British - The empire was a good thing.
35%
British - The empire was a bad thing.
10%
Europeans - Good
9%
Europeans - Bad
4%
Citizen of a former colony - Good
21%
Citizen of a former colony - Bad
13%
Other - Good
3%
Other - Bad
4%

Total votes : 271

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

British Empire - Good or Bad?

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 am

Personally I think it was a good thing.
Here are a few links arguing both for and against however.
I'm more interested in foreign perceptions.

GOOD:
http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.7. ... 0.148.html

BAD:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 818AANCTPL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1890_British_Ultimatum

I'll be adding links as i find them.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Landfordshire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Landfordshire » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:17 am

Based on what merits?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:18 am

Whether if the british had decided to just stay on the island not go exploring, would the world be better or worse off
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:18 am

Good they civilized the world, I demand the UN order the Brits reestablish their empire.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:32 am

greed and death wrote:Good they civilized the world, I demand the UN order the Brits reestablish their empire.

The British Empire spread Anglo culture and civilization. It spread industry and commerce, while fostering ideals like individual liberty and parliamentary democracy.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

H-Alba
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby H-Alba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:35 am

The British Empire was bad. I don't even like the term "British".

All the British Empire ever was, was forcing Anglo Culture on others, including their neighbours at home.
Last edited by H-Alba on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I serve Queen and Country

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:36 am

H-Alba wrote:The British Empire was bad. I don't even like the term "British".

Care to elaborate?
Ostro.MOV

H-Alba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby H-Alba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:40 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
H-Alba wrote:The British Empire was bad. I don't even like the term "British".

Care to elaborate?

All the British Empire did was spread English culture around the world. I am glad the world is the way it is today, yes. And I wouldn't want to go back to change it. I think there were more effective ways then building an empire.

As for my second statement I feel the term British is unfair. When people say British then tend to mean English, and the "other Brits' are left out in "British Culture".
Last edited by H-Alba on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:43 am

H-Alba wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Care to elaborate?

All the British Empire did was spread English culture around the world. I am glad the world is the way it is today, yes. And I wouldn't want to go back to change it. I think there were more effective ways then building an empire.

As for my second statement I feel the term British is unfair. When people say British then tend to mean English, and the "other Brits' are left out in "British Culture".

The empire also forced open new markets, spread democracy and bureacracy (Which sucks but is better than tribalism) and trains.
TRAIIIINS

So what'd you prefer as a term to refer to the whole island?
English? :p
I'm welsh for the record.
Ostro.MOV

H-Alba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby H-Alba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:49 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
H-Alba wrote:

The empire also forced open new markets, spread democracy and bureacracy (Which sucks but is better than tribalism) and trains.
TRAIIIINS

So what'd you prefer as a term to refer to the whole island?
English? :p
I'm welsh for the record.

I'm going to be honest, I would prefer to live in Scotland pre-Highland Clearances. I prefer the old Clan System, and the old Gaelic Lifestyle over the one we live today. But, as I said the past cannot be changed and I am thankful for New Zealand being created (I *love* New Zealand).

I would prefer the island itself be referred to as Britain, or even Albion (kidding, well sort of.), but the culture referred to by it's individual constituent country (Not British Tea, English Tea. If there isn't British Haggis, why must there be British Tea only from England).
Last edited by H-Alba on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Naurobia
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Naurobia » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:50 am

It was very bad. India used to actually be one of the wealthiest and most developed places in the world until the british colonized it in the 18th century.
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:03 am

Naurobia wrote:It was very bad. India used to actually be one of the wealthiest and most developed places in the world until the british colonized it in the 18th century.

I'll take democracy, liberty and other enlightenment era ideals over Hindu and Muslim monarchy and mysticism any day of the week.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Fionnuala_Saoirse
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fionnuala_Saoirse » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:08 am

Way too atrocity loving for my tastes
Stupid Telegrams Received :

- "Isn't your name the name of the female Branch of the IRA" -- Benian Republic

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:14 am

Good- spreading technology just as the Romans did before them.

H-Alba wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Care to elaborate?

Yea, because it was only England that sailed overseas.. :roll:
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:16 am

Look to Africa for answers.

What are the state of the former British colonies versus other nations colonies......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 am

Like all countries, the Empire was good and bad. Though as I said above, it's mostly good because of spreading technology, furthering humanity until the Cold War.

The Black Forrest wrote:Look to Africa for answers.

What are the state of the former British colonies versus other nations colonies......

How can you compare that? France was less forgiving to its colonies but that didn't stop Mugabe from being an ass to an ex-British colony.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:22 am

The Black Forrest wrote:What are the state of the former British colonies versus other nations colonies......

They tend to perform a lot better actually, if they keep the institutions and legal system. If however there is a horrible civil war and rid of all the institutions and systems that were in place during British rule it tends to go badly.

H-Alba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby H-Alba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:24 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:Good- spreading technology just as the Romans did before them.

H-Alba wrote:As for my second statement I feel the term British is unfair. When people say British then tend to mean English, and the "other Brits' are left out in "British Culture".

No, of course the English weren't. But the English Culture was the one culture that did spread. But I was referring to the term British today in my statement. There aren't British Haggises, but there are British teas. Calling it British seems silly to me when they are distinct cultures, that in my opinion shouldn't be "plopped" together.
Last edited by H-Alba on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vestr-Norig
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vestr-Norig » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:25 am

All nations based on imperialism are bad, including Britain
-- Centre-left --
Agrarianism, Republicanism, Ruralism, Nationalism, Western Norwegian Separatism, Regionalism, Confederalism, Localism, Christian Democracy, Decentralization, Protectionism, National/Cultural Conservatism, Traditionalism, Euroscepticism

Language: Linguistic purism, Norsk Målreising

Religion: Lutheranism
"Sæle dei som ikkje ser, og endå trur" - Joh 20,29

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:26 am

H-Alba wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:Good- spreading technology just as the Romans did before them.

No, of course the English weren't. But the English Culture was the one culture that did spread. But I was referring to the term British today in my statement. There aren't British Haggises, but there are British teas. Calling it British seems silly to me when they are distinct cultures, that in my opinion shouldn't be "plopped" together.

Scottish culture was spread, just as English was.

And yes there is British Haggis, as it was invented in England and popularised in Scotland- same goes for the kilt skirt (but not the full-body kilt, that's 100% Scottish).
Lurking NSG since 2005

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:27 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:British Empire - Good or Bad?

Yes
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:28 am

Vestr-Norig wrote:All nations based on imperialism are bad, including Britain

I wonder where you'd draw the line there.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Eaglleia
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaglleia » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:30 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Whether if the british had decided to just stay on the island not go exploring, would the world be better or worse off

Much, much, worse.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:30 am

H-Alba wrote:

Calling it British seems silly to me when they are distinct cultures, that in my opinion shouldn't be "plopped" together.

And it's quite easy to be "plopped" together when we've been a nation for hundreds of years. Sure there are differences, but there are also alot of similarities and history which we don't share with Europe or America.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

H-Alba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby H-Alba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:32 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
H-Alba wrote:

Scottish culture was spread, just as English was.

And yes there is British Haggis, as it was invented in England and popularised in Scotland- same goes for the kilt skirt (but not the full-body kilt, that's 100% Scottish).

I disagree. I've never heard one person refer it as a British Haggis, only as a Scottish Haggis, nor have I ever heard anyone claim it was invented in England. And the kilt is one minor aspect of Scottish Culture that was spread. I'm talking about Highland Culture, the Gaelic Language and traditions were all oppressed while the English culture spread.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General