NATION

PASSWORD

Australian police given power to ask Muslims to remove burka

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Furious Grandmothers wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:
This would involve fingerprinting the entire nation, spending billions of dollars to outfit every patrol car and every police station with the facilities required for fingerprint ID and violating everyone's freedom by keeping everyone's fingerprints on file.

Everyone doesn't like my proposal because of the logistics of keeping a fingerprint database and providing a fingerprint device for police officers. But couldn't it be done, like any other major project?

Vitaphone though brought up and interesting point that I never thought about. How does keeping everyone's fingerprints on file violate everyone's freedom, when you already have everyone's face on file? I'm not being sarcastic, I sincerely want to understand how.

At least in the US, all immigrants have their finger prints on record. If Australia doesn't do this as well, I'm shocked. So building a database of foreigners' finger prints is not difficult. On top of that, at least in the US, cop cars have computers on them with access to ridiculous levels of information on them. When they pull you over and get your ID then walk back to their car, what do you think they are doing? So giving them access to the finger print database, or at least a comparative software is not going miles out of the way. And as to actually getting the finger prints... while cops might not have finger print kits on them, finger print scanners can be fairly small (on the order of the volume of a TV remote) and fairly cheap (in comparison to other equipment cops get). A little training, and anyone can scan a finger print, plug it into their computer, and send it for comparison, getting back a result on ID.

So yes, finger printing on the go would actually be relatively easy. And it would be a lot more reliable then just an ID, whether someone is wearing face coverings or not. It wouldn't just be a boon to set it up to protect religious/cultural beliefs, but also for general security/safety. And as to building a national database, when you go to get your drivers license/state ID, get them scanned then. You get your picture taken, show various proofs of ID, why not finger printing too? Whats the real difference?

And I know finger prints change over time, but so do faces, and at least the odds of a false positive on finger printing are lower then the odds of false positives on a picture ID.

Tergnitz
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tergnitz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Sun Aut Ex wrote:Best law Australia has ever passed.

Yep, I agree 100% with you here Sun. It’s good to see that Australia is not heading down the European path of failed, enforced multiculturalism.

Furthermore, I think you will find this article regarding the rise in Middle-Eastern crime in Australia particularly interesting.
Last edited by Tergnitz on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dazchan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Sun Aut Ex wrote:Best law Australia has ever passed.

Better than the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1900? The Australia Act 1986? Pretty much any law that isn't a pathetic knee-jerk reaction?
Last edited by Dazchan on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Strykyh wrote:The fuck? This law is retarded. 1 year jail sentence for not complying is a bit extreme. What does the world have against Muslims?

We don't have anything against muslims! The burqa is what we have the problem with. Living in the Canterbury-Bankstown region, I'm sick of these idiots always driving around causing car crashes and the police never being able to identify them. One year is definatly not too much, if anything, one year is not enough!
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

North Palisades
Attaché

Founded: Jun 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby North Palisades » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm

We wouldn't want to offend anybody's sensibilities. Clearly asking a Muslim woman to remove her burkha is unreasonable. Instead lets spend billions on creating a national DNA database or a fingerprint database so that we don't have to offend Muslim women. :palm:

North Palisades
Attaché

Founded: Jun 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby North Palisades » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:28 pm

Enadail wrote:
Everyone doesn't like my proposal because of the logistics of keeping a fingerprint database and providing a fingerprint device for police officers. But couldn't it be done, like any other major project?

Vitaphone though brought up and interesting point that I never thought about. How does keeping everyone's fingerprints on file violate everyone's freedom, when you already have everyone's face on file? I'm not being sarcastic, I sincerely want to understand how.

At least in the US, all immigrants have their finger prints on record. If Australia doesn't do this as well, I'm shocked. So building a database of foreigners' finger prints is not difficult. On top of that, at least in the US, cop cars have computers on them with access to ridiculous levels of information on them. When they pull you over and get your ID then walk back to their car, what do you think they are doing? So giving them access to the finger print database, or at least a comparative software is not going miles out of the way. And as to actually getting the finger prints... while cops might not have finger print kits on them, finger print scanners can be fairly small (on the order of the volume of a TV remote) and fairly cheap (in comparison to other equipment cops get). A little training, and anyone can scan a finger print, plug it into their computer, and send it for comparison, getting back a result on ID.

So yes, finger printing on the go would actually be relatively easy. And it would be a lot more reliable then just an ID, whether someone is wearing face coverings or not. It wouldn't just be a boon to set it up to protect religious/cultural beliefs, but also for general security/safety. And as to building a national database, when you go to get your drivers license/state ID, get them scanned then. You get your picture taken, show various proofs of ID, why not finger printing too? Whats the real difference?

And I know finger prints change over time, but so do faces, and at least the odds of a false positive on finger printing are lower then the odds of false positives on a picture ID.

So a Muslim woman doesn't have to show her face to a police officer, but I have to give my fingerprint to get a driver's license? Sounds totally reasonable!

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:11 pm

North Palisades wrote:We wouldn't want to offend anybody's sensibilities. Clearly asking a Muslim woman to remove her burkha is unreasonable. Instead lets spend billions on creating a national DNA database or a fingerprint database so that we don't have to offend Muslim women. :palm:

Sigging it!
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Enadail wrote:

At least in the US, all immigrants have their finger prints on record.

Exept most muslims are born here so therefore not immigrants!

Siorafrica
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siorafrica » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Strykyh wrote:The fuck? This law is retarded. 1 year jail sentence for not complying is a bit extreme. What does the world have against Muslims?
NSG Thread Wheel;give it a spin and watch the trainwreck begin. http://cheezburger.com/View/5084656640
A doubleplusgood guide to NSpeak. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16895
Population of NationStates. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138705479531836
Yes by and large NSG for the most part absolutely has nothing but utter unadulterated contempt for religion and those who dare express it openly.-Skibereen
Oi with the arguing in circles over the same tired old topic yet again, and the trolling one another on either side with 'who is a real Christian' and 'why your logic sucks'. How about we put this one to bed again. It's going nowhere. You aren't going to change anyone's minds. Stick a fork in it kids - it's done.-Dread Lady Nathanica

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:23 pm

The only thing I disagree with is the penalty amount. The fact that they wear burqas don't mean that they shouldn't remove it to be identified. However, a year seems excessive. I'd make it a fine, and perhaps a lower prison sentence (2-3 months would be fine, and I'd add the possibility of probation).

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:24 pm

Sun Aut Ex wrote:New South Wales police, actually.

This follows the case of a Muslim woman who lied about a police officer being racist and trying to rip off her tent, and then went to a police station and made a signed statement to the effect of that lie; she was found not guilty of making a false statement because the judge said the tent made it impossible to prove that she made the statement.

The NSW Government this week said it would draw up legislation allowing police to ask any person stopped during routine vehicle checks to remove burqas, niqabs or other head and face coverings at the roadside to verify their identities.

The move follows a Sydney judge's decision last week to quash a six-month jail sentence given to a burqa-wearing mother of seven, Carnita Matthews.

Mrs Matthews had been found guilty of falsely accusing Sen-Constable Paul Fogarty of forcibly trying to remove her burqa when she was pulled over while driving in June last year.

Anyone refusing to obey the law may face up to a year's jail under NSW legislation. Western Australia yesterday indicated it would adopt similar laws.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/pressur ... z1RGHnF2Fh

Best law Australia has ever passed. Cue liberal outrage.

I'm probably quite liberalish. And I'm not really outraged. Practically it makes common sense. You need to be able to identify someone. The court case was an absolute farce. As long as it's done in a sensible, considerate way I'm not that fussed. It's a necessity. The penalty is somewhat drastic though.

EDIT: Not the best law ever passed by any means. Practical yes, outstanding no.
Last edited by Forster Keys on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Strykyh wrote:What does the world have against Muslims?

Well, humanity is not known for liking people who are different.

That being said, allowing people to be identified for legal situations is hardly out there. Perhaps Muslim women would be more consenting to providing blood samples for identification, rather than showing their face for a moment? Or perhaps you don't think motorcyclists should have to show their faces to law enforcement personnel (if they are wearing a face-covering helmet) or something of the like?

This law seems pretty on the ball - though I will certainly respect those Muslim's who keep true to their own culture.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:The only thing I disagree with is the penalty amount. The fact that they wear burqas don't mean that they shouldn't remove it to be identified. However, a year seems excessive. I'd make it a fine, and perhaps a lower prison sentence (2-3 months would be fine, and I'd add the possibility of probation).

And how many do you think will actually receive the full jail sentence?
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Island Protectorates wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
A simple national DNA database could solve this problem.

That's stupid, inefficient, against the right to privacy for people, and moreover, unnecessary.

He's British. What's privacy?
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:The only thing I disagree with is the penalty amount. The fact that they wear burqas don't mean that they shouldn't remove it to be identified. However, a year seems excessive. I'd make it a fine, and perhaps a lower prison sentence (2-3 months would be fine, and I'd add the possibility of probation).

And how many do you think will actually receive the full jail sentence?

That's not up to me, that's up to the judge.

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:32 pm

The Whole controversy started with this:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-n ... 6078801032
Last edited by Kalaspia-Shimarata on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:32 pm

They should pass a law punishing burqa wearing by stripping the wearer naked in public.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Karmaimps
Envoy

Founded: Dec 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Karmaimps » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:32 pm

It seems fair that the law enforcement has people show there faces so they can identify people easier.If needed then the Muslim woman can just show her face to a female officer of the law.There is nothing in most Islam preventing them from taking off the face cover in that situation.
Economic Left/Right: -2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49

"Think about it. Arda Tulvuans are suppose to follow a rigid social code. There is a lot of pent up rage against each other. So, they release it via sex or sanctioned martial art fights." -Arda Tuluva

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination

Virega
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Virega » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:34 pm

It is necessary for police to be able to identify a people who have broken the law. For people to be able to use religion as an excuse for breaking the law is just stupid. For people who haven’t actually seen the film clip here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao3-bNGG70w
Now only did this woman abuse a police officer she then went to the police station and filed a report against him. It’s a stupid thing to do in the first place. This law was not just thrown on the table because Australians are racist it was brought up because someone tried to abuse the system. Also for people who think this is racially intolerant here is a quote from one Muslim organisation agreeing with the proposal.
The Islamic Council of NSW and the Lebanese Muslim Association supported the laws. The chairman of the council, Khaled Sukkarieh, said there was nothing in the Koran or the Hadith saying women should not remove facial coverings for identification if a crime was suspected. ''It's got to be done sensitively but we trust our police officers," he said. Mariam Veiszadeh, a solicitor and Muslim who wears a hijab, said the laws were fair if they only applied to the face for identification purposes, and not to hair.

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:34 pm

Gauthier wrote:They should pass a law punishing burqa wearing by stripping the wearer naked in public.

--Edited-Out--
Last edited by Kalaspia-Shimarata on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sucrati
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sucrati » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Australia could just copy France and BAN them, but that would lead to a civil rights catastrophe where women would want to wear them but would be breaking the law while at the same time it's used as a item of oppressing women because of religious culture, wow, no one will win when it comes to Islam and civil rights.
Economic Left/Right: 7.12; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.92
George Washington wrote:"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 pm

I approve of this law, religion should be no excuse for concealing your identity.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Karmaimps wrote:It seems fair that the law enforcement has people show there faces so they can identify people easier.If needed then the Muslim woman can just show her face to a female officer of the law.There is nothing in most Islam preventing them from taking off the face cover in that situation.

what if there are only male cops in the area, do they have to call in a female officer?
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Sucrati wrote:Australia could just copy France and BAN them, but that would lead to a civil rights catastrophe where women would want to wear them but would be breaking the law while at the same time it's used as a item of oppressing women because of religious culture, wow, no one will win when it comes to Islam and civil rights.

It's possible to win by banning Islam and killing Muslims.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:That's not up to me, that's up to the judge.

What you think is decided by a judge? You sound like a tool.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General