NATION

PASSWORD

Ultimate Football (Soccer) Thread (2011-2012)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northern Sunrise Islands
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Northern Sunrise Islands » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Osarius wrote:
Northern Sunrise Islands wrote:I'm comparing it to South America, where half of the stars at the EPL teams normally are formed.

I think that's a slight exaggeration at best. I can think of precisely three South American players at Villa in the past 10 years, and if I were to list every notable South American footballer to have played in the Premier League, I'd bet good money that it wouldn't be a long list.

You'd be right in saying the MLS is weak compared to South American leagues, though. That's not an exaggeration. I think comparing the MLS with South American leagues is a bit unfair though, really. Considering its not even 20 years old yet, I think the MLS is a decent league, and its improving rapidly. The playoff system -- as silly as I think it is, personally -- just makes it more accessible to American sports fans I guess, since that's the norm in American sports, isn't it?

I thought EPL served for European Premier Leagues. And also, Villa? XD

And anyways, if we were to compare with other continents, they'd still be downsided somehow, I think. J-League has almost the same time of the MLS and has a better development in its area, being able to fight countries with a better legacy on the sport, meanwhile the MLS will probably remain being second-placer to good ol' Mexico. Once again, I say, I like the MLS, but not as that much of an important league. The nickname thingy is still pretty fun, though.
Tails... Watch out, you're gonna crash, aaaaah!
Project +90 | Sunrise's Sportwires (shared with Dainer) | PokéCard ~ Label Guide
Champion: WC 75 and 76, U-15 WC 4 and 6, DBC 29 and 41
Now known as Kita-Hinode

Kinda Sensible People Returned
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinda Sensible People Returned » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Northern Sunrise Islands wrote:
Osarius wrote:I think that's a slight exaggeration at best. I can think of precisely three South American players at Villa in the past 10 years, and if I were to list every notable South American footballer to have played in the Premier League, I'd bet good money that it wouldn't be a long list.

You'd be right in saying the MLS is weak compared to South American leagues, though. That's not an exaggeration. I think comparing the MLS with South American leagues is a bit unfair though, really. Considering its not even 20 years old yet, I think the MLS is a decent league, and its improving rapidly. The playoff system -- as silly as I think it is, personally -- just makes it more accessible to American sports fans I guess, since that's the norm in American sports, isn't it?

I thought EPL served for European Premier Leagues. And also, Villa? XD

And anyways, if we were to compare with other continents, they'd still be downsided somehow, I think. J-League has almost the same time of the MLS and has a better development in its area, being able to fight countries with a better legacy on the sport, meanwhile the MLS will probably remain being second-placer to good ol' Mexico. Once again, I say, I like the MLS, but not as that much of an important league. The nickname thingy is still pretty fun, though.

EPL is English Premier League. And MLS teams regularly give top-of-table Mexican teams a run for their money. And, moreover, in terms of quality, MLS is probably a better league than J League at this point, without the absurd salary inflation of that league.
"It's a bird, it's a plane! No, wait, it's a pretentious fool masquerading as insightful... Never mind then, nothing to see here." - Most Observers.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:02 am

Northern Sunrise Islands wrote:
Kinda Sensible people wrote:

That's hardly fair. MLS is not the league it was ten years ago. While it is obviously not yet at the level of the EPL, numerous players of mid-table EPL quality now play in the United States, rather than in Britain. Parity isn't always great, but the league is still alive because of it.

And, for the record, there are 17 competitive teams. And Portland and Vancouver.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am all for the development of football at United States of America, but to be sincere, we all know that the only way to consider the tournament disputed is with that format of play-offs that normally does not work coherently. And I'm not even comparing it to Europe. I'm comparing it to South America, where half of the stars at the EPL teams normally are formed.

Quite an overestimation that.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Thanatttynia
Senator

Founded: Nov 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:38 am

COME ON BLACKBURN!
YOU CAN BEAT ...Ipswich...
:meh:
Last edited by Thanatttynia on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syng I wolde, butt, alas! decendunt prospera grata.

I V Stalin
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby I V Stalin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:03 am

Osarius wrote:
Northern Sunrise Islands wrote:I'm comparing it to South America, where half of the stars at the EPL teams normally are formed.

I think that's a slight exaggeration at best. I can think of precisely three South American players at Villa in the past 10 years, and if I were to list every notable South American footballer to have played in the Premier League, I'd bet good money that it wouldn't be a long list.

Let's be honest, the MLS play-off system is at least easier to understand than the way relegation works in Argentina, not to mention having the apertura and clausura seasons.
One million deaths is a statistic. One death is a smaller statistic.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to tell if they're legitimate" - Abraham Lincoln

Farnhamia - "The concept of zero means nothing."

Like football? Like The Blizzard

Osarius
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:33 am

Northern Sunrise Islands wrote:I thought EPL served for European Premier Leagues. And also, Villa? XD

EPL = English Premier League
If you meant to speak of European leagues as a whole... its probably best to refer to UEFA, but that's a bad comparison too, since like... most of the biggest commercial revenue deals are in leagues run by UEFA members, meaning they can spend more on transfer fees and wages, meaning they can get better players, better facilities etc etc.

Mexico is probably a better comparison for the MLS in terms of revenue capabilities, and MLS isn't that far behind them. The J-League is a fair comparison in terms of age, and even with the much higher financial investment in the J-League, MLS isn't far behind them either (if at all). So I still don't see the problem. Sounds like you have slightly unrealistic expectations, perhaps. In 20 years, MLS might be one of the world's better leagues, who knows? It all depends on how the popularity of the sport increases in the US, and whether businesses come to regard it as a more financially viable investment opportunity, probably.

And yes, Villa. My local club. One of the founding members of the English Football League and one of the most successful English football clubs of all time. A club that has, on average over the past decade, been one of the ten best teams in England. Not sure why that makes you laugh, really.
I V Stalin wrote:Let's be honest, the MLS play-off system is at least easier to understand than the way relegation works in Argentina, not to mention having the apertura and clausura seasons.

Fair point. I've never really understood all that. But different cultures have different ways of deciding champions and stuff though, right?
There used to be relegation playoffs in Italy, I think. Dunno if they still have them. I always thought that was a bit strange too.
Promotion playoffs in England kinda make sense (from a football standpoint) though. But only when the teams finish close on points, imo. If 3rd place is 7pts clear of 4th... they're clearly the more deserving team, right? It seems a bit odd to have a team playing for 6th place and a chance at promotion sometimes, if the top 3 are clearly ahead of everyone else.
Monarch: Alexander III | First Minister: Mathieu Lupin | Population: ~125 million | Capital: Burningham, Mount Crown
Civilisation Index: 13.43 • Tier 7, Level 2, Type 5
Current Project(s): a discord scorination bot, and a football manager knock-off

Useful NSSports Stuff | RabaSport.net

||A Loyal Citizen of Wakanda||

I V Stalin
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby I V Stalin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:28 am

I was talking more about the averaging over three seasons aspect. But yes, the playoff is another part of it. I quite like the idea of relegation playoffs. You've got it in the Bundesliga, in the SPL (I think), so it's not as if it's only minor leagues (well, Scotland... :p ). I prefer them to promotion playoffs, anyway.
One million deaths is a statistic. One death is a smaller statistic.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to tell if they're legitimate" - Abraham Lincoln

Farnhamia - "The concept of zero means nothing."

Like football? Like The Blizzard

Central Lothian
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Central Lothian » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:03 pm

I V Stalin wrote:I was talking more about the averaging over three seasons aspect. But yes, the playoff is another part of it. I quite like the idea of relegation playoffs. You've got it in the Bundesliga, in the SPL (I think),

No, we don't - but we do have relegation/promotion play-offs in Div 1 and 2 (the second-bottom team in the higher division and the teams finishing second to fifth in the lower division).
Please note: Central Lothian is the direct successor to Mid Lothian*. As a result, I am still called Rebecca, I am still a Grammar Nazi and most information pertaining to ML also applies to CL (although I will be taking this time to change a few things).

* - And I may refer to the country as Mid Lothian. If I do, assume that I mean Central Lothian. (And not to be confused with "Midlothian" - I'm using that as a fascist version of CL.)

Zersium wrote:I actually meant England. Scotland uses the pound?

Milograd wrote:
Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:We are a MEGA POWER-A combination between Hyperpower and Smart Power

Obviously. If there is one word that describes Kalasparata, it is obviously "smart."

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General