NATION

PASSWORD

Without America Would the Allies have lost WWII?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would the Allies Lost WWII without America

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes : 264

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Re: Without America Would the Allies have lost WWII?

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:26 am

Nurmiland wrote:I believe that without the US intervening on both fronts (Europe and Japan) the Allies would have lost. My reason is:

Japan would have kept expanding its empire into the Pacific. And when they reached US borders, the US would be so involved in fighting Japan we would not have enough troops to fight in Europe. Everyone know that Japan attacked Pearl Harbor in December 7, 1941. If we had not declaired war on them and remained neurtal by May of 1942 Japanese forces probably would be in California. We would be fighting them on our own soil. The concentration would have been so high in the west that by the time the planning of D-Day started there would be a severe strain on the troops that Normandy's Invasion would not have been successful. I feel that if Normandy was not successful than Russia would have been on its own in fighting Gremany since France and Brittian were all but defeated anyway by that time. Also I picture Japan eventually allying itself with Germany and then together would have eventually conquered the whole world and even Germany would have invaded the US on the east and they would have fought inward. So it was either compress Germany on both sides or have Germany and Japan compressing the US on both sides.

Well ... I don't know that Japan had plans to invade the United States mainland (I haven't run out and researched this, mind). The attack on Pearl Harbor was, as far as I know, an attempt to eliminate the Pacific Fleet so it couldn't oppose Japan's attacks on US possessions in the Pacific.

There is really no way the US would not have declared war on Japan after such a blatant act of war. If President Roosevelt had not made his "day that will live in infamy" speech on December 8th and asked for a declaration of war, he'd have been driven from office.

Those two points alone invalidate the rest of your proposition. Besides those, Hitler declared war on the US after Pearl Harbor, we didn't have to bother declaring war on him.

There was some discussion, I believe, of concentrating US efforts against Japan and not sending substantial numbers of troops to Europe until such time as they could be spared from the Pacific theatre, but this plan was (obviously) not adopted.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:28 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:
Saexons wrote:
And there was me thinking the RAF carried out most of the bombing runs on Germany...

In terms of tonnage, American and British forces dropped almost an identical amount.

... although in terms of tonnage actually hitting the intended targets -- when those weren't just whole cities, anyway -- I suspect that the British (& foreign units that were effectively flying as part of the RAF, such as the Canadians or the Free Poles...) might have been a bit further ahead.

Considering the fact that the US did daytime bombing and had the Norden bombsight whilst the RAF did night bombing and lacked the Norden bombsight I highly doubt it...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:39 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:In terms of tonnage, American and British forces dropped almost an identical amount.

... although in terms of tonnage actually hitting the intended targets -- when those weren't just whole cities, anyway -- I suspect that the British (& foreign units that were effectively flying as part of the RAF, such as the Canadians or the Free Poles...) might have been a bit further ahead.

Considering the fact that the US did daytime bombing and had the Norden bombsight whilst the RAF did night bombing and lacked the Norden bombsight I highly doubt it...

Considering that the USAAF dropped its bombs from very high altitudes, whereas the RAF generally went in at significantly lower ones which made aiming easier, and that the RAF deployed special 'Pathfinder' squadrons to mark the targets for the following wave[s] of bombers whereas the USAAF didn't...
(And do you have a citable source for the RAF totally lacking the Norden bombsight? I seem to recall reading about its use by at least some British bomber squadrons, somewhere...)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:45 am

Bears Armed wrote:(And do you have a citable source for the RAF totally lacking the Norden bombsight? I seem to recall reading about its use by at least some British bomber squadrons, somewhere...)

Hmmm, really?
I'll have to check into that, I was unaware of them having them...

Okay, after checking into it a bit (quickly I admit), the B-17s the RAF had were equipped with Norden Bombsights and in addition starting in '43 they had their own equivalent: The SABS.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Nurmiland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Nurmiland » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:41 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Nurmiland wrote:I believe that without the US intervening on both fronts (Europe and Japan) the Allies would have lost. My reason is:

Japan would have kept expanding its empire into the Pacific. And when they reached US borders, the US would be so involved in fighting Japan we would not have enough troops to fight in Europe. Everyone know that Japan attacked Pearl Harbor in December 7, 1941. If we had not declaired war on them and remained neurtal by May of 1942 Japanese forces probably would be in California. We would be fighting them on our own soil. The concentration would have been so high in the west that by the time the planning of D-Day started there would be a severe strain on the troops that Normandy's Invasion would not have been successful. I feel that if Normandy was not successful than Russia would have been on its own in fighting Gremany since France and Brittian were all but defeated anyway by that time. Also I picture Japan eventually allying itself with Germany and then together would have eventually conquered the whole world and even Germany would have invaded the US on the east and they would have fought inward. So it was either compress Germany on both sides or have Germany and Japan compressing the US on both sides.

Well ... I don't know that Japan had plans to invade the United States mainland (I haven't run out and researched this, mind). The attack on Pearl Harbor was, as far as I know, an attempt to eliminate the Pacific Fleet so it couldn't oppose Japan's attacks on US possessions in the Pacific.

There is really no way the US would not have declared war on Japan after such a blatant act of war. If President Roosevelt had not made his "day that will live in infamy" speech on December 8th and asked for a declaration of war, he'd have been driven from office.

Those two points alone invalidate the rest of your proposition. Besides those, Hitler declared war on the US after Pearl Harbor, we didn't have to bother declaring war on him.

There was some discussion, I believe, of concentrating US efforts against Japan and not sending substantial numbers of troops to Europe until such time as they could be spared from the Pacific theatre, but this plan was (obviously) not adopted.

I can see where you are comming from. But what do you think would have happened if the US did consentrate more so on fightging Japan and then, after Germany declared war on the US and then there was not have enough American troops to fight in Europe?

Personally, I believe if the US followed that path The Axis (Germany and Italy mainly) would possibly have outnumbered the Allies of the US. (Not counting France since they were already took over when we did get there.)

You know how I mentioned Russia? I did not mention the fact that Russia was actually invaded (unsucessfully) twice by the Germans. I feel that Germany's invasion of Russia was unsucessful was because both were done in the winter. What if Germany got smart after their first flop at invadeing Russia and decided to wait until the spring and summer to invade them the second time? What would have happened?
Remember that in the WWI the Russians pulled out because of issues in the homeland. I believe, therefore that if Germany was sucessful with its second invasion of Russia and penetrated to Moscow, Russia would have had most of there troops fighting in there homeland.

OK now where would that leave Brittian. They were being attacked before D-Day (even though by air). Would we have taken Normandy if the senario with the US had occured (having a higher consentration in Japan/the Pacific) and less troops ready for D-Day? What would have happened if we failed at D-Day? Would D-Day have been moved to a different date instead fo June 6, 1944? Could it have been in '45 or '46 after we defeated Japan and therefore causeing the war in Europe to last until '48 or '49? Would such a delay cause Europe be virtually defeated if such a delay did occur? Those are some serious questions that I feel may have been asked by many during that time.
I'm Christian, I like Peace. What?
Mottos:
I am who I am, your approval is not needed
Believe in the power of your dreams.
The difference between a winner & a loser: Losers fall & stay down, winners will get back up the 8th time after they've fell 7 times.

Shinkadomayaka
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Shinkadomayaka » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:49 am

Would they have lost? I dunno. It would have been longer and tougher, and the eastern world might look a lot different, but eventually I doubt the americans would just sit around. It's just not our nature to let a war to go on without us.
Military service compulsary.
Benevelont Dictatorship.
DEFCON 1: Relative Peace
Quotes of Awesomeness
Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

Huntertopia wrote:95% of all teens would cry if Justin Bieber was jumped and killed. 4% would laugh at his dead corpse. If you are the 1% that jumped him, copy and paste this in your sig.

Protectorates:
Percussionistsers

Rise-Takeba
Secretary

Founded: Jul 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rise-Takeba » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:21 pm

Nurmiland wrote:If we had not declaired war on them and remained neurtal by May of 1942 Japanese forces probably would be in California. We would be fighting them on our own soil.

Japan didn't have the manpower to attack the States. The Americans would have held them off easy. And not to mention there is no way the amount of ships needed for an invasion would be allowed anywhere near America without provoking them.

The concentration would have been so high in the west that by the time the planning of D-Day started there would be a severe strain on the troops that Normandy's Invasion would not have been successful. I feel that if Normandy was not successful than Russia would have been on its own in fighting Gremany since France and Brittian were all but defeated anyway by that time.

The only reason D-Day would have been unsuccessful is because the Americans couldn't help plan it. Britain and Canada played important parts in D-Day, and it isn't beyond reasoning that Australia would have taken part of D-Day if America wasn't in the war. While D-Day as we know it probably would have failed without American involvment, thats not to say the lack of American involvment wouldn't have helped create a D-Day invasion of Britain-Canada-Australia.

And, correction. France was defeated. That's why we had to liberate them, remember?

Also I picture Japan eventually allying itself with Germany and then together would have eventually conquered the whole world and even Germany would have invaded the US on the east and they would have fought inward. So it was either compress Germany on both sides or have Germany and Japan compressing the US on both sides.

Japan and Germany (And Italy) were all Allies since the beginning of the war. Say the Germans defeated the Soviets and then took over Britain; America would not have stood by and watched it happen. If Germany did ever make it to the States, the Americans would be too strong for them. And I'm not sure Japan could have ever fully defeated China as well, so the majority of their forces would be tied up. Now, if Germany had gotten the bomb and then invaded, nothing would really stop in their way.

Kurdazistan
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kurdazistan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:06 pm

:roll: Significance?
"My father was a JHU Mathematican Master. My mother was an S Librarian-Languages understudy." Me

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Depends on what you mean by "Allies", I would think that Britain would have eventually fallen, and France would remain German...

Until the Soviet Union Overran all of them, and Europe and its colonies fell into chaos...

EDIT:wait, this is a zombie thread, shit...*infected* lol...
Last edited by Maurepas on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dazchan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:15 pm

It certainly would have been a lot more difficult, but I don't think anyone can say with certainty either way.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Mykola
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mykola » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:20 pm

Yes they would have lost because it was specifically the US's manpower, combined with the USSR that ultimately won World War Two. Without the US Japan would have had no enemy in the Pacific, they would've taken the entire pacific from the European powers, taken China, India and so forth. They would've opened a second front in Siberia as well. It was because of the US that Japan could not concentrate all of its effort towards expansion, but defending itself. The US also played an extremely vital role in supplying Britain during the Blitz and producing war goods throughout the war for the allies. Without the US Britain would have succumbed to the German Blitz, they would not have in turn been able to supply their African Corps and there would've never been any invasion of Sicily or D-Day. It was American manpower, and industrial might that ultimately saved the allies. Russian could not have been able to supply Britain with goods because, quite frankly Germany had cut it off from the North Sea's. Russia would've been annihilated by Operation Barborossa, as well as the Afrika Corps who would've broken through the poorly supplied and equipped troops of General Montogomery and swung up into the caucasus. Germany would have no two fronts to fight, Operation Sealion would've been carried out, Japan would've taken the whole Pacific and moved to destroy Russia from the East and Germany would've captured the Middle East, the allies would not stand a chance.
Proud member of Tyrrhenia roleplaying community

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Mykola wrote:Yes they would have lost because it was specifically the US's manpower, combined with the USSR that ultimately won World War Two. Without the US Japan would have had no enemy in the Pacific, they would've taken the entire pacific from the European powers, taken China, India and so forth. They would've opened a second front in Siberia as well. It was because of the US that Japan could not concentrate all of its effort towards expansion, but defending itself. The US also played an extremely vital role in supplying Britain during the Blitz and producing war goods throughout the war for the allies. Without the US Britain would have succumbed to the German Blitz, they would not have in turn been able to supply their African Corps and there would've never been any invasion of Sicily or D-Day. It was American manpower, and industrial might that ultimately saved the allies. Russian could not have been able to supply Britain with goods because, quite frankly Germany had cut it off from the North Sea's. Russia would've been annihilated by Operation Barborossa, as well as the Afrika Corps who would've broken through the poorly supplied and equipped troops of General Montogomery and swung up into the caucasus. Germany would have no two fronts to fight, Operation Sealion would've been carried out, Japan would've taken the whole Pacific and moved to destroy Russia from the East and Germany would've captured the Middle East, the allies would not stand a chance.

I think you've overlooked the fact that besides Lend-Lease the US was not involved until 1943, when Germany was already on the run in Russia following Stalingrad. I'm pretty sure the Brits had solid dominance of the Med as well, because Rommel had supply problems before US forces arrived in Algeria, even before El Alamain, while Montgomery was well supplied from India. I'm also fairly sure that the UK would have held off the blitz without US supplies and manpower.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Robarya
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Robarya » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:32 pm

Keep in mind that in a scenario in which the U.S. hadn't been at war with Germany, the historical outcome would might be different from what actually happened. For instance, because of the American entrance in the war, Germany was forced to maintain an offensive strategy on the eastern front, since it would otherwise have crumbled under the weight of the combined Russian and American resources, as it did historically. That said, Russia still had an advantage as it was when they held out during Barbarossa, because of its greater industrial capacity, natural resources (esp. when it came to oil) and human resources, so chances are Russia would have won anyways. Other than that Russia received significant aid through the Lend & Lease from the United States, before the Americans and Germans were at war with each other. However, Germany would at least have had a far better chance, since they would have been able to employ a more defensive strategy. It could very well have been possible to bled Russia dry of manpower in a war of attrition, considering the Germans conquered a large portion of Russia's manpower base during Barbarossa (Ukraine and Belarus).

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:35 pm

Bavin wrote:
Mykola wrote:I think you've overlooked the fact that besides Lend-Lease the US was not involved until 1943, when Germany was already on the run in Russia following Stalingrad.

Youre overlooking the fact that the US entered the war in 1941, ;)

Robarya
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Robarya » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Mykola wrote:Yes they would have lost because it was specifically the US's manpower, combined with the USSR that ultimately won World War Two. Without the US Japan would have had no enemy in the Pacific, they would've taken the entire pacific from the European powers, taken China, India and so forth. They would've opened a second front in Siberia as well. It was because of the US that Japan could not concentrate all of its effort towards expansion, but defending itself. The US also played an extremely vital role in supplying Britain during the Blitz and producing war goods throughout the war for the allies. Without the US Britain would have succumbed to the German Blitz, they would not have in turn been able to supply their African Corps and there would've never been any invasion of Sicily or D-Day. It was American manpower, and industrial might that ultimately saved the allies. Russian could not have been able to supply Britain with goods because, quite frankly Germany had cut it off from the North Sea's. Russia would've been annihilated by Operation Barborossa, as well as the Afrika Corps who would've broken through the poorly supplied and equipped troops of General Montogomery and swung up into the caucasus. Germany would have no two fronts to fight, Operation Sealion would've been carried out, Japan would've taken the whole Pacific and moved to destroy Russia from the East and Germany would've captured the Middle East, the allies would not stand a chance.

America certainly played a key role in the war, but Germany and Britain were at a stalemate. Germany lacked the proper navy to invade the British Isles, while the British lacked a strong enough army to invade Festung Europa. The British had plenty of resources on their own, and would have survived the war with or without American military interference, unless Germany had successfully defeated Russia and afterwards built a large navy to match the Royal Navy.

As for the case with Japan, their troops in Manchuko were considerably inferior to the Russian troops stationed in the area. And even if Japan had beaten the Russian forces there, the Russians would have been able to pull further west and render the only major railroad to Siberia unusable for the Japanese. The Japanese would not have had the logistical capacity to advance through Asian Russia and pose a threat to Russia's European holdings.

Robarya
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Robarya » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:49 pm

Bavin wrote:I think you've overlooked the fact that besides Lend-Lease the US was not involved until 1943, when Germany was already on the run in Russia following Stalingrad. I'm pretty sure the Brits had solid dominance of the Med as well, because Rommel had supply problems before US forces arrived in Algeria, even before El Alamain, while Montgomery was well supplied from India. I'm also fairly sure that the UK would have held off the blitz without US supplies and manpower.

True, except for Lend & Lease. The U.S. supplied both Britain and Russia before Germany's declaration of war in December 1941.
Last edited by Robarya on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:59 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Bavin wrote:
Mykola wrote:I think you've overlooked the fact that besides Lend-Lease the US was not involved until 1943, when Germany was already on the run in Russia following Stalingrad.

Youre overlooking the fact that the US entered the war in 1941, ;)

Son of a Brazilian real-estate agent!
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

East Catalina
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby East Catalina » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:05 pm

Maybe-if the US hadn't been in the war and Einstein hadn't asked for the A-Bomb,the Germs would have made it-or ten-and made craters out of DC and London,as well as the Allies' other cities.The Soviets might have caused a Tet Offensive-ish situation, so,then the Euro war would've died.And then,the Brits probably would've run out of men as well.The Japs would've made an empire from Siberia into Alaska and then into India,but then they would've failed to hold AK because the US would've kicked them out.They'd probably drain the Americans of troops by the 50s.And then Japan would've been messed up,too,so the war'd effectively end in the East,too.

United States of East Catalina-
East Catalina on NSwiki.net
I wouldn't be here'cause I live near Washington.
United States of East Catalina, Caroga and the Catalina Islands
Mirajvor ni Mankrusa, Karoga ke Katalinsoqqvor
Estados Unidos de Catalina del Este, Catalina del Oeste y las Islas Menores

¡Adelante juntos!
Together forward!

Former colony of Spain (1547-1898) and the United States (1898-1946 in the East; 1898-1953 in the West) which underwent a civil war (1946-86) and is now recovering
Capital: Ocean City
Government type: Federal directorial parliamentary republic
39 states and 9 territories
Population: 248 million
Languages: Carogan, Spanish, English

The imperian empire
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The imperian empire » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:06 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:
Saexons wrote:
And there was me thinking the RAF carried out most of the bombing runs on Germany...

In terms of tonnage, American and British forces dropped almost an identical amount.

The RAF had Oboe, a system more reliable than the Norden.

Basically Oboe was 2 stations in England, which sent out a pair of code signals, pointed over a very narrow area aimed at the target. One signal called cat and one called mouse. The Mosquito bombers in the pathfinder squadrons picked up these signals. If you could pick up 1, you were off course, for examples sake, too far south, if you could pick up the other, you were too far north. If you could pick up both, you were on target. By using these signals the pathfinders, and the staff back in the UK, could work out the positioning and could also use the signals to send messages. The Pathfinders then drop flares and incendiaries accurately on target, and the rest of the formation, (lead aircraft also equipped with the system I believe) dropping on the same target. Very effective at night.

There were problems with it, namely range and the way the earth curves, but the sending stations moved forward as the allies advanced. The error margin was very small.
Last edited by The imperian empire on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

East Catalina
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby East Catalina » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:07 pm

East Catalina wrote:Maybe-if the US hadn't been in the war and Einstein hadn't asked for the A-Bomb,the Germs would have made it-or ten-and made craters out of DC and London,as well as the Allies' other cities.The Soviets might have caused a Tet Offensive-ish situation, so,then the Euro war would've died.And then,the Brits probably would've run out of men as well.The Japs would've made an empire from Siberia into Alaska and then into India,but then they would've failed to hold AK because the US would've kicked them out.They'd probably drain the Americans of troops by the 50s.And then Japan would've been messed up,too,so the war'd effectively end in the East,too.

United States of East Catalina-
East Catalina on NSwiki.net
I wouldn't be here'cause I live near Washington.
Robarya wrote:

America certainly played a key role in the war, but Germany and Britain were at a stalemate. Germany lacked the proper navy to invade the British Isles, while the British lacked a strong enough army to invade Festung Europa. The British had plenty of resources on their own, and would have survived the war with or without American military interference, unless Germany had successfully defeated Russia and afterwards built a large navy to match the Royal Navy.

As for the case with Japan, their troops in Manchuko were considerably inferior to the Russian troops stationed in the area. And even if Japan had beaten the Russian forces there, the Russians would have been able to pull further west and render the only major railroad to Siberia unusable for the Japanese. The Japanese would not have had the logistical capacity to advance through Asian Russia and pose a threat to Russia's European holdings.

All of this stuff is correct.

¡Adelante juntos!
Together forward!

Former colony of Spain (1547-1898) and the United States (1898-1946 in the East; 1898-1953 in the West) which underwent a civil war (1946-86) and is now recovering

Robarya
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Robarya » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:07 pm

Rise-Takeba wrote:
Nurmiland wrote:If we had not declaired war on them and remained neurtal by May of 1942 Japanese forces probably would be in California. We would be fighting them on our own soil.

Japan didn't have the manpower to attack the States. The Americans would have held them off easy. And not to mention there is no way the amount of ships needed for an invasion would be allowed anywhere near America without provoking them.

Japan did have plenty of manpower, but they lacked the resources to field all of them. And yep, they were basically doomed from the start. The U.S. was producing ~8 ships for every Japanese one throughout the war, and then one should also consider that when the Japanese and Americans faced, the Americans performed far better. So even if the Japanese would have won at some battle like Midway, it would hardly have made a difference.

Rise-Takeba wrote:And, correction. France was defeated. That's why we had to liberate them, remember?

They were certainly not a threat, that's for sure. Some French forces remained in the colonies, and fought minor skirmishes with Vichy troops, but their effect on the Allied victory were negligible at best.

Rise-Takeba wrote:Japan and Germany (And Italy) were all Allies since the beginning of the war. Say the Germans defeated the Soviets and then took over Britain; America would not have stood by and watched it happen. If Germany did ever make it to the States, the Americans would be too strong for them. And I'm not sure Japan could have ever fully defeated China as well, so the majority of their forces would be tied up. Now, if Germany had gotten the bomb and then invaded, nothing would really stop in their way.

There's a theory that Japan simply refrained from conquering China, even though they could have done so, since they would not have been able to occupy China, and they would have had to divert too much manpower from the Pacific for it to be worth it.

East Catalina
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby East Catalina » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Putting all of these guys in Star Wars,who'd win-the Allies+America,Axis+America,Allies-America,or Axis-America?
+=With
-=Without
Last edited by East Catalina on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

¡Adelante juntos!
Together forward!

East Catalina
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby East Catalina » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:13 pm

Lastly,it all depends. :meh: :)

¡Adelante juntos!
Together forward!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General