NATION

PASSWORD

Damn religious people

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Re: Damn religious people

Postby Der Teutoniker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:33 am

Sdaeriji wrote:I would say that "Hawaiian" and "Mom" were both dicks. Hawaiian's atheist comment was rude and unnecessary, and so was Mom's critique of grace.

Agreed. If I am somewhere where prayer might earn scorn, my wife and I pray silently, while holding hands. Usually at restaraunts we will hold hands while we lean close, and I pray quietly. Other people are trying to have an enjoyable meal too.

That being said, there should be no reason to interrupt someone's prayer to add a derogatory remark.
Last edited by Der Teutoniker on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:35 am

In the Hawaiian person's family, it may be commonplace to say grace before every meal. I never do, and neither do most of my friends, but if someone ever asks if we will say grace, I never refuse. It can't hurt, and refusing is only going to upset them. It's best to be understanding of their customs and what they believe, rather than to make snide remarks.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Ircania
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ircania » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:37 am

Berou wrote:I'm also Christian, but I dont believe in forcing my beliefs onto people who dont want it.

Aye.
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.21

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:38 am

Antilon wrote:Imagine being in that situation where the Hawaiian guy is your uncle, aunt and cousin.

I know whats that like. I just stfu when they say grace and don't really participate like I don't say grace or amen or anything, I just wait til they let me eat.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Antilon
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Antilon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:39 am

Der Teutoniker wrote:I would say that "Hawaiian" and "Mom" were both dicks. Hawaiian's atheist comment was rude and unnecessary, and so was Mom's critique of grace.

Maybe Mom was feeling a bit put off that all her work was seen as the work of God.

God Moddom
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby God Moddom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:40 am

I dare someone to find my someone making $150,000 a year or has a Masters that is religious.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:40 am

Antilon wrote:Maybe Mom was feeling a bit put off that all her work was seen as the work of God.

Very likely so, but that doesn't make her snide little barb less rude.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:43 am

God Moddom wrote:I dare someone to find my someone making $150,000 a year or has a Masters that is religious.

I have a Masters. You were saying?
My uncle is a lawyer and makes more than $150,000 a year. Another uncle and two cousins are stockbrokers.

Feeling silly yet?

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:43 am

God Moddom wrote:I dare someone to find my someone making $150,000 a year or has a Masters that is religious.

If I ran this forum, off-topic trolls like this would be an automatic 3 month forumban.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?

Valipac
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:43 am

Tony Dungy. Case Closed.
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Antilon
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Antilon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:43 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Antilon wrote:Maybe Mom was feeling a bit put off that all her work was seen as the work of God.

No, it doesn't, but I still feel that it's an extenuating circumstance, given that the guests didn't even thank the hosts.

Stovania
Lobbyist

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Stovania » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:44 am

Samatolian City-States wrote:Here's how that should have gone.

Them: Hey, shouldn't we say grace?
You guys: Eh, say grace if you want. I'll be eating.
Them: Cool. -Grace'd-
You: NOM NOM NOM.

you good sir have just made my day :) :lol: :lol2: :rofl:

God Moddom
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby God Moddom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:45 am

Valipac wrote:

Tony Dungy. Case Closed.

lol. Yeah, you would pick a minority.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:46 am

Antilon wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:

No, it doesn't, but I still feel that it's an extenuating circumstance, given that the guests didn't even thank the hosts.

Based on the conversation we were provided, I'm inclined to believe that the rudeness stemmed mostly from the initial rudeness from the guests, not any percieved slight.

Valipac
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:48 am

God Moddom wrote:
Valipac wrote:

Tony Dungy. Case Closed.

lol. Yeah, you would pick a minority.

What does that have to do with anything?

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:58 am

Intangelon wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:I'm kind of blown away that they would equate not saying grace with being atheist, since I go to Church every week and I never say grace, but beyond that, if they want to say grace, let them. You're not obligated to participate in their prayer or anything. Let them have their moment.

I was thinking that way, too.

The jump from "not saying grace" to "oh, are you atheists" was where the guests were rude. I'm with Kat -- both sides needed to be more considerate of the other. Of course, had the non-praying side not made the first fuss, the return-fire rudeness of the guests would have been unnecessary..well it already WAS, but...oh hell, you know what I mean.

I'm not sure... if I had guests like that, and they asked me to say grace (as implied by "Don't you say grace?"), I would be rather uncomfortable for the one single reason that as the host, saying grace would be up to me and I've no idea how to do that, nor would I want to.
If they had asked "Can we say grace before we eat", I would have told them to go right ahead and just kept quiet for the duration.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:59 am

Katganistan wrote:Image

So, I get warned by a mod for posting a pic like that and then you go and post one? Double standards much?
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count (+puppet)

Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy - Maggie T

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:03 am

Ring of Isengard wrote:So, I get warned by a mod for posting a pic like that and then you go and post one? Double standards much?

Really? because what I see on your nation's record was you telling someone else to fuck off, not anything for posting an image.
Last edited by Katganistan on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:06 am

My pastor has a Master's degree.

A pastor at a church I visited had his Doctorate in Greek studies.

I had a couple of Geography professor's (also, doctorates) who were Christians.

This is a quick list off the top of my head.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:08 am

Katganistan wrote:
Ring of Isengard wrote:So, I get warned by a mod for posting a pic like that and then you go and post one? Double standards much?

Really? because what I see on your nation's record was you telling someone else to fuck off, not anything for posting an image.

Might have been with a different nation.
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count (+puppet)

Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy - Maggie T

Dashret
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dashret » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:10 am

I'm going to have to agree that both sides were jerks.

The 'Hawaiian' shouldn't be forcing people to adhere to his particular religious beliefs. Being Christian myself, the only time I've ever taken part in saying grace is at my grandparents house, and that's only out of respect for my grandparents, who I love very much and who used to buy me all the books I wanted whenever I was at their house.

The parents...well, aside from being shockingly rude at the end, should simply have said something along the lines of "We don't say grace, but you're welcome to go ahead' and then waited quietly until their guests were done. Regardless of what Wikipedia has to say about table manners, I've always believed that if it's a formal(ish) meal everybody should start eating at the same time.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:10 am

Antilon wrote:No, it doesn't, but I still feel that it's an extenuating circumstance, given that the guests didn't even thank the hosts.

How can you say they weren't going to? According to the story, the mom did not let the guy finish his prayer. When I pray over food, I thank God for the food, and I pray that He would bless the hands (usually of my wife) that prepared the meal.

Also, perhaps they thanked the guests independant of the prayer, there is no mention of whether this happened or not, and usually Christians do not pray to their hosts, when they visit friends.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:14 am

The thread title is highly inappropriate.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:18 am

Dashret wrote:I'm going to have to agree that both sides were jerks.

The 'Hawaiian' shouldn't be forcing people to adhere to his particular religious beliefs. Being Christian myself, the only time I've ever taken part in saying grace is at my grandparents house, and that's only out of respect for my grandparents, who I love very much and who used to buy me all the books I wanted whenever I was at their house.

The parents...well, aside from being shockingly rude at the end, should simply have said something along the lines of "We don't say grace, but you're welcome to go ahead' and then waited quietly until their guests were done. Regardless of what Wikipedia has to say about table manners, I've always believed that if it's a formal(ish) meal everybody should start eating at the same time.

yeah.... this.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General