NATION

PASSWORD

The only reason to vote black? (NSFW image)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: The only reason to vote black? (NSFW image)

Postby Cameroi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:31 pm

i'm glad the op explained the intended reason.
the opportunity for it to be taken as racist,
the virtual inevitability of it so being over here,
is, i think, an unfortunate mistake on their part.

the message is a good one,
(that voting so called conservative is basically screwing one's self)
taken it the light of the explanation given,
but the likelyhood of its being misread, wow.
not so good at all.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Flammable Ice
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flammable Ice » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:00 pm

Cabra West wrote:Image

Now, I don't think it's one of their cleverest poster ever... but racist? Sexist? I don't see that.
What does NSG think?

I would have liked it if they just had the picture without any words or any kind of explanation. Everyone would be confused :D

Heinleinites
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Heinleinites » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:15 pm

I'm a little fuzzy on what their point is, exactly, and apparently I'm not alone. What are they trying to say?

-If you vote conservative, women will grab your ass?

-If you vote conservative, there will be more lesbians?

-If you vote conservative, there will more inter-racial couples?

-If you vote conservative, there will be more nudity?

Regardless of the political party it's for, or any ballyhoo about "racist" or "sexist", I think the ambiguity and general "Hunh?" you get from it makes it a poor poster.
Last edited by Heinleinites on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You will never see a man who would kiss a wench or cut a throat as readily as I, but the wench must be willing, and the man must be standing up against me, else by God! either were safe enough from me." - Samkin Aylward The White Company

Heinleinite's First Rule of Comedy: "It doesn't matter if you don't think I'm funny, just so long as I think I'm funny."

The Infinite Dunes
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Infinite Dunes » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Okay, I just got the slogan (the only reason to vote black is if the candidate is ethnically black). But... what's the relevance of the picture? ...

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:28 pm

I am now a conservative.

also I thought everyone went along with the green ideology because they want to sleep with some hippy chick?
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Heinleinites
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Heinleinites » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Call to power wrote:also I thought everyone went along with the green ideology because they want to sleep with some hippy chick?

Close. That's why they go to protests.
You will never see a man who would kiss a wench or cut a throat as readily as I, but the wench must be willing, and the man must be standing up against me, else by God! either were safe enough from me." - Samkin Aylward The White Company

Heinleinite's First Rule of Comedy: "It doesn't matter if you don't think I'm funny, just so long as I think I'm funny."

Sudreich
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Sudreich » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Cabra West wrote:Now, I don't think it's one of their cleverest poster ever... but racist? Sexist? I don't see that.
What does NSG think?

Well it strikes to me as if they're equating black ethnicity to ass and sex, so yeah it's pretty racist. "Only reason to vote black is because of black ass" is a negative stereotype that reduces black ethnicity to having a good ass, or being good at sex, I think it racist. It's the same as saying "If you like virgin nerds vote asian" It's a stereotype just as silly.

Sudreich
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: The only reason to vote black?

Postby Sudreich » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:08 pm

BunnySaurus Bugsii wrote:
RightWingChristians wrote:I'd be offended, pesonally.

I don't like seeing nudity everywhere I go.

Then don't go anywhere. You'll be happier that way.

Or you could just break your stupid aversion to the human body, by ... going to the beach ?

By the same logic, were swastikas allowed people would either be forced to stay home or break their stupid aversion for a some colors on a cloth by taking away the meaning it has. Not on any side, though, just noting.

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:35 am

Heinleinites wrote:I'm a little fuzzy on what their point is, exactly, and apparently I'm not alone. What are they trying to say?

Regardless of the political party it's for, or any ballyhoo about "racist" or "sexist", I think the ambiguity and general "Hunh?" you get from it makes it a poor poster.

Ok, I'll try. The German word for vote is the same as elect or choose.
So the message could better be translated as "The only reason to choose black would be for a bum like this one". Which doesn't make it any better, regarding the accusations of racism directed against it, but maybe it makes a little more sense.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Gopferdammi
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gopferdammi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:56 am

Cabra West wrote:
Heinleinites wrote:I'm a little fuzzy on what their point is, exactly, and apparently I'm not alone. What are they trying to say?

So the message could better be translated as "The only reason to choose black would be for a bum like this one". Which doesn't make it any better, regarding the accusations of racism directed against it, but maybe it makes a little more sense.

I still don't get the message or point they are trying to get across.

Dhammonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dhammonia » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:59 am

I think this one is worse than what the Grünen does:

english translation (from left to right):

Minumum wages (in the sense of extremely low wages) would vote for CDU (conservatives)
Fiscalsharks would vote for FDP (liberal faction)
Hot air would vote Die Linke (left wing)

This sort of negative campaigning might be common in the US, but in Germany it's not and i absolutely don't like it. Politicians don't need to attack other factions because none of them have credibility anyway and the rest of faith people have set in politicians doing something good (somehow, someday..) is destroyed that way. By showing everyone how utterly bad all the political parties are, even less people will go voting.
Furtermore: Attacking others because one doesn't have an own political concept is just lame.
Last edited by Dhammonia on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:04 am

Gopferdammi wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

I still don't get the message or point they are trying to get across.

I'm not even sure if my explanation is the intended one. It's not a good poster by any standard, which is a shame because as I said the Greens have a wonderful history of sarcastic, witty and funny posters, with actual messages on them rather than just empty phrases and a face. Shame, really, that they went for this one, although I understand this is only on a local level (only for the elections in NRW).
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:05 am

Dhammonia wrote:I think this one is worse than what the Grünen does:

english translation (from left to right):

Minimum wages would vote for CDU (conservatives)
Fiscalsharks would vote for FDP (liberal faction)
Hot air would vote Die Linke (left wing)

This sort of negative campaigning might be common in the US, but in Germany it's not and i absolutely don't like it. Politicians don't need to attack other factions because none of them have credibility anyway and the rest of faith people have set in politicians doing something good (somehow, someday..) is destroyed that way. By showing everyone how utterly bad all the political parties are, even less people will go voting.
Furtermore: Attacking others because one doesn't have an own political concept is just lame.

Bloody hell, those are bad.
That's the kind of style I so far had associated with the CSU... :(

Lord Vetinari

Rejistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:05 am

I had to laugh. I do not see the Grünen campaign to be racist. In contrast, IMHO it implies that blacks are good lovers. I mentally tried this pun out with my own race and could not be offended. But then, I didn't understand it the way that blacks should not be chosen for employment for example since that is something where race does not/should not matter but the person.

I agree that the SPD campaign is worse, BTW.

Edit: Dhammonia, translating Dumpinglöhne as minimum wage is not quite okay. Germany does not have a minimum wage though occasionally courts declare things far below the standard as 'sittenwidrig'. A better translation might be "extremely low wages".
Last edited by Rejistania on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:11 am

Dhammonia wrote:This sort of negative campaigning might be common in the US, but in Germany it's not and i absolutely don't like it. Politicians don't need to attack other factions because none of them have credibility anyway and the rest of faith people have set in politicians doing something good (somehow, someday..) is destroyed that way. By showing everyone how utterly bad all the political parties are, even less people will go voting.

Negative campaigning is great. It lets you know what kind of shitweasels are involved in politics and stops people from voting. Eventually, when enough people don't vote anymore, then government's will lose their legitimacy and they will have to stop bothering us.

It's a quiet revolution.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Rejistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:13 am

Lacadaemon wrote:
Dhammonia wrote:This sort of negative campaigning might be common in the US, but in Germany it's not and i absolutely don't like it. Politicians don't need to attack other factions because none of them have credibility anyway and the rest of faith people have set in politicians doing something good (somehow, someday..) is destroyed that way. By showing everyone how utterly bad all the political parties are, even less people will go voting.

Negative campaigning is great. It lets you know what kind of shitweasels are involved in politics and stops people from voting. Eventually, when enough people don't vote anymore, then government's will lose their legitimacy and they will have to stop bothering us.

It's a quiet revolution.

Read Saramago's Seeing to see what will happen then.

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Tranquilizer Cyborgs
Spokesperson

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tranquilizer Cyborgs » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:25 am

OMG, Germans are f*cked up. :lol2:

Cybach
Minister

Founded: Nov 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cybach » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:32 am

I personally find this one rather distasteful;

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:34 am

The only black ass I'm interested in is my girlfriend's ass.

I don't think it's that offensive. At least there wasn't any penetration.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:38 am

Cybach wrote:I personally find this one rather distasteful;

Ugh.... now that one makes me feel physically sick. :(

Lord Vetinari

Rejistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:40 am

Cabra West wrote:

Seconded! :(

Cybach
Minister

Founded: Nov 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cybach » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:50 am

Cabra West wrote:

Now, now. At least they're being polite by not using any ethnic slurs as one would nearly expect and wishing them a polite "good/safe" trip home.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:53 am

Cybach wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

Now, now. At least they're being polite by not using any ethnic slurs as one would nearly expect and wishing them a polite "good/safe" trip home.

I recognise sarcasm when it's staring me in the face, though.
And that picture is an ethnical slur par excellence. :(

Lord Vetinari

Gopferdammi
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gopferdammi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:01 am

Cybach wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

Yay for polite Neo-Nazis? To be quite honest I don't really care if racist fucks try to appear to be polite. The whole racism angle just tends to put me off, I'm strange like that.

Dhammonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dhammonia » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:01 am

On to a cool campaigning:

Frankfurt, 11th January 09
I like it ;)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General