NATION

PASSWORD

When did they get so bad?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: When did they get so bad?

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 am

I wred the OP.

They have to scrape the bottom of the barrel. There isn't that much good documentary that they can show all new stuff, and for now (not everyone has TIVO) they have to compete with other channels on an hour-by-hour basis. Showing the same stuff over and over doesn't cut it.

Plus, there are special interests who invest money in making "documentaries" which they sell at below cost. Mighty attractive as content, to the commercial interests which are cable channels.

Free-to-air was only ever good when there were a limited number of channels competing for content. The cable providers still compete hour-by-hour, and as Springsteen said: "57 channels and nothin' on."

It will change, as more people divorce their watching hours from the broadcast hours, with TIVO or by getting the same content on the net, when they choose to watch it.

And the internet is something else entirely. You get what you look for, but you get it when you look for it. It's not so passive, you have to choose each time, and not just the least boring of the options. When you stop choosing, you stop getting.
Lucky Bicycle Works ⊂ BunnySaurus Bugsii ⊂ Nobel Hobos

More sig:
Saboteur: A well-meaning idiot, walking into the future barefoot.

The moongoose step: a combination of can-can, goose-step, and moon-step. I haven't perfected it yet.

I can however do John Cleese's Silly Walk, with elements of falling on my arse.

When we hear our future selves, we are humbled. We are willing servants.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:44 am

NERVUN wrote:And when did those channels get so bad?

when they started to follow the methodogy of MTV. they stopped concentrating on their focus. even now, Cartoon Channel is showing more and more non-cartoon shows.

Next thing we'll see is Drama on Comedy Central... :palm:
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:17 am

After three months of double billing, being charges teice each month for the same service, which they denied doing but never corrected,

Time Warner is not welcome here.

So, we are without tv, and rely entirely on the internet and radio.

i do miss Jay Leno, but that's about it
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:09 pm

It has been a gradual descent into craptasticness for those three, and SciFi (SyFy) network as well. I'm not quite sure what demographic they are shooting for, but I am reasonably certain it ain't the mensa crowd. ;)
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Curious Inquiry
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 02, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Curious Inquiry » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:32 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Anemos Major wrote:You think your TV's bad? Apart from occassional TBS prime time and 12 o'clock channels, EVERYTHING SUCKS.

On the contrary, I usually find a lot of Japanese fare highly entertaining, but this stuff... some of it was BBC produced! :o

Every time I see a BBC documentary, I'm reminded of all the Monty Python spoofs of same :lol:
Religions are like glasses. Some people need them to see the world clearly, some people don't.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:37 pm

About two years ago.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:39 pm

I don't know about the others, but I've been enjoying the endless 'Life after people' and 'Modern Marvels' that seem to loop endlessly on the History Channel whenever I turn it on.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:39 pm

NERVUN wrote:I admit it's been a year since I was last stateside and close to 10 years since I last had regular access to cable TV, but watching History, Discovery, and Animal Planet at the in-laws, I have to ask, when the hell did all three channels get so... BAD? History was attempting to do this CSI-Dinosaur bit with wonderful things like "When Mama T-Rex came back, all hell brakes lose" and "The dino made two fatal mistakes; misjudging the speed of an adult t-rex and forgetting that the bond between mother and offspring is the most powerful force in nature and Hell has nothing on a angry mother t-rex".

Discovery was just as bad with this bit about a flooding mine that constantly showed the same film clips over and over and over again, suggesting that the miners were going to drown, even though they were interspersed with interviews with the same miners.

Animal Planet meanwhile was just doing this really weird show about following baby grizzly bears with people talking over it asking inane questions, though I think that it was supposed to be aimed at kids so it might be slightly excusable, but I have my doubts.

When did documentaries get to trying to be more seat of the pants entertainment (Which they do badly) then about informing people about their topic?

Since I'd think most people in NSG are more likely to watch documentaries for fun and information, what's your take on it? Should they be more info or more entertainment? And is there a good balance of both?

And when did those channels get so bad?

Like movies, music and internet forums, they hunt for the mainstream. Which means more viewers and more money. It's rather a sad evolution.
Last edited by Hairless Kitten II on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:48 pm

JuNii wrote: even now, Cartoon Channel is showing more and more non-cartoon shows.

I could deal with the live-action movies because they were kids movies, but now they added Kid Ghost Hunters, Kid Survive This, and Kid Stupid Reality Game Show. /bangheadondesk
Hey, I have an idea jackholes, if you need to fill time and can't find any more cartoons - PUT ANIME ON. Cartoon Network moving away from anime is pissing me off too, especially since it become popular enough for sci-fi to move BACK TO anime after being absent from it for more than 10 years.
Last edited by The_pantless_hero on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:05 pm

When the Reality shows became a hit...Basically when Deadliest Catch and Iceroad truckers got big...

All the sudden there had to be fifty clones, and a hundred other Alaska shows...

It is quite sickening, :(

At least I still have the Science Channel, NatGeo, Military Channel, and History International, :)

Dashret
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dashret » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:24 pm

The_pantless_hero wrote:
JuNii wrote: even now, Cartoon Channel is showing more and more non-cartoon shows.

I could deal with the live-action movies because they were kids movies, but now they added Kid Ghost Hunters, Kid Survive This, and Kid Stupid Reality Game Show. /bangheadondesk
Hey, I have an idea jackholes, if you need to fill time and can't find any more cartoons - PUT ANIME ON. Cartoon Network moving away from anime is pissing me off too, especially since it become popular enough for sci-fi to move BACK TO anime after being absent from it for more than 10 years.

M'yeah. I remember when Adult Swim showed nothing BUT anime. And it was...alright. Ish.

Now, of course, they just show LCD 'comedy' cartoons with terrible production values. Some if it can be entertaining, I've seen a few episodes of Metalocolypse that gave me a giggle or two (Unleash...THE KITTIES.) But most of it's just...argh.

Do they still show anime on saturdays? I haven't seen their lineup in forever.

The Northern Baltic
Envoy

Founded: Sep 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The Northern Baltic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:28 pm

Disney bought History Channel.
That explain things?

Economic Left/Right: -8.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

"It's Putin's daughter. Her breasts can probably type whilst her hands are busy shooting Siberian Peasants." -Georgism

Thethunderdome
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Thethunderdome » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:30 pm

History channel is mostly Nostradamus, the Bible, and Aliens now. I'm not even kidding.
Save a life- Donate blood!

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Dashret wrote:
The_pantless_hero wrote:

M'yeah. I remember when Adult Swim showed nothing BUT anime. And it was...alright. Ish.

Now, of course, they just show LCD 'comedy' cartoons with terrible production values. Some if it can be entertaining, I've seen a few episodes of Metalocolypse that gave me a giggle or two (Unleash...THE KITTIES.) But most of it's just...argh.

Do they still show anime on saturdays? I haven't seen their lineup in forever.

Yeah, they still show it on Saturdays...Although I prefer the Comedy cartoons myself, I havent seen an Anime on there I really liked since Cowboy Bebop ended...Full Metal Alchemist was okay, but after Katrina, Id missed so many episodes I was unable to get back into it...

I like Bleach but it is ahead of where I am at in the story, so I only watch them online...

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Thethunderdome wrote:History channel is mostly Nostradamus, the Bible, and Aliens now. I'm not even kidding.

And they're all re-runs from three to four years ago.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:35 pm

I sadly watch mostly stand-up comedy on Comedy Central, and the occasional MTV Scarred. My main TV is G4 TV.

The Northern Baltic
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Northern Baltic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:37 pm

Thethunderdome wrote:History channel is mostly Nostradamus, the Bible, and Aliens now. I'm not even kidding.

And dispelling conspiracy theories with documentaries that they rerun all the time and that fail to answer all the questions dealing with said conspiracies.

"It's Putin's daughter. Her breasts can probably type whilst her hands are busy shooting Siberian Peasants." -Georgism

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:38 pm

I honestly don't quite agree with your assessments, but that's probably because i mainly watch Gangland, Locked Up Abroad, Lockdown, Battles BC, the 360 series (Battle 360, Patton 360), and one or two other shows. I also loved Art of War on History (which, there's enough in The Art of War that they could easily turn it into a series)
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Dashret
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dashret » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:39 pm

Actually, now it's mostly ICE ROAD TRUCKERS.
Seriously.
On sundays that is ALL they show. 24 hours of fat guys in trucks.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:39 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:I sadly watch mostly stand-up comedy on Comedy Central, and the occasional MTV Scarred. My main TV is G4 TV.

We dont get G4 anymore, IIRC they reduced their good programing to a one hour block right before our Cable dropped them anyway...

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Neu California wrote:I honestly don't quite agree with your assessments, but that's probably because i mainly watch Gangland, Locked Up Abroad, Lockdown, Battles BC, the 360 series (Battle 360, Patton 360), and one or two other shows. I also loved Art of War on History (which, there's enough in The Art of War that they could easily turn it into a series)

*gags* :p

Battles BC and 360 are pretty good though...

The Northern Baltic
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Northern Baltic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Neu California wrote:I honestly don't quite agree with your assessments, but that's probably because i mainly watch Gangland, Locked Up Abroad, Lockdown, Battles BC, the 360 series (Battle 360, Patton 360), and one or two other shows. I also loved Art of War on History (which, there's enough in The Art of War that they could easily turn it into a series)

The problem I have with all of their shows is that they are accompanied by this people who say the stupidest shit in 'analyzing' things ... its like they say, well, we have a 30 second gap to fill, so lets bring someone in just to say something to fill it.

And I think they should do battles the Americans weren't involved in. Seriously, give me some Chinese Civil War or some Eastern Front World War II (besides talking about Stalingrad, that got old a long time ago). Or hell, surprise me, give me a battle the Americans didn't win. Besides Pearl Harbor, because that really wasn't much of a battle.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:48 pm

The Northern Baltic wrote: Or hell, surprise me, give me a battle the Americans didn't win. Besides Pearl Harbor, because that really wasn't much of a battle.

They show the American Civil War sometimes, :p

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:50 pm

Dashret wrote:Do they still show anime on saturdays? I haven't seen their lineup in forever.

Barely. Anime doesn't start until midnight EST any more, all the anime before that is 2 episodes King of the Hill (a good show, but it's on for two episodes EVERY FUCKING DAY), 2 episodes family guy (same thing), and 1 episode of the PJs
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Maurepas wrote:Yeah, they still show it on Saturdays...Although I prefer the Comedy cartoons myself, I havent seen an Anime on there I really liked since Cowboy Bebop ended...Full Metal Alchemist was okay, but after Katrina, Id missed so many episodes I was unable to get back into it...

I like Bleach but it is ahead of where I am at in the story, so I only watch them online...

They still have Cowboy Bebop, it is only barely off the air, but its always on at like the same time - 1 or 2 am.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General