NATION

PASSWORD

Nuclear Fusion: Possible?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nuclear Fusion: Possible?

Yes
93%
No
5%
Depends(please explain)
2%

Total votes : 43

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Nuclear Fusion: Possible?

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:54 pm

United Russian State wrote:Yes. I dont want to see if be the main sorce of energy needs.

Why don't you?
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:01 pm

Discount Liquor World wrote:As for nuclear fusion as a means of generating electricity? I think it will always be "20 years in the future" because the science has reached a dead-end and we simply will never beable to break the laws of physics enough to make it a sustainable, positive-energy source.
Wat? We don't have to break any laws of physics for it.

We can achieve contained fusion just fine. It just fizzles out since we can't yet contain the plasma efficiently enough - it contacts the reactor walls, heat is transferred, plasma cools, fusion reaction stops.

Our sole problem is to contain the plasma in a more efficient fashion. It's merely a technical question. An engineering problem. 'tis all.
Last edited by Arthropoda Ingens on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Discount Liquor World wrote:As for nuclear fusion as a means of generating electricity? I think it will always be "20 years in the future" because the science has reached a dead-end and we simply will never beable to break the laws of physics enough to make it a sustainable, positive-energy source.

We can achieve contained fusion just fine. It just fizzles out since we can't yet contain the plasma efficiently enough - it contacts the reactor walls, heat is transferred, plasma cools, fusion reaction stops.

Our sole problem is to contain the plasma in a more efficient fashion. It's merely a technical question. An engineering problem. 'tis all.

That's why scientists are trying to achieve Cold Fusion.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:06 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:
Arthropoda Ingens wrote:

That's why scientists are trying to achieve Cold Fusion.

And failing.
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:That's why scientists are trying to achieve Cold Fusion.

No, scientists gave up on that idea a long tie ago.

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:15 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
United Russian State wrote:Yes. I dont want to see if be the main sorce of energy needs.

Why don't you?

A larg portion of world economies are already based on our current engrey scorces. Nuclear fusion would mess them up this up. We already have a relbile engery scorce and it's cheap.
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:16 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:For those of you who don't really know what I'm talking about please reference this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion#Locally_cold_fusion

Quoted for irony.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:16 pm

United Russian State wrote:

Why don't you?

A larg portion of world economies are already based on our current engrey scorces. Nuclear fusion would mess them up this up. We already have a relbile engery scorce and it's cheap.

And so terribly finite.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:17 pm

United Russian State wrote:A larg portion of world economies are already based on our current engrey scorces. Nuclear fusion would mess them up this up. We already have a relbile engery scorce and it's cheap.

You do realize that oil will run out eventually, don't you? What should we do, wait until the last minute, when oil finally runs out, or slowly and gradually transition to other forms of energy?

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:20 pm

United Russian State wrote:A larg portion of world economies are already based on our current engrey scorces. Nuclear fusion would mess them up this up. We already have a relbile engery scorce and it's cheap.

You do realize that oil will run out eventually, don't you? What should we do, wait until the last minute, when oil finally runs out, or slowly and gradually transition to other forms of energy?

Key word being eventually. I am not really worried since that won't happen for at least over 100 years. We can wait a little.
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:21 pm

United Russian State wrote:that won't happen for at least over 100 years.

[Citation Needed]

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:21 pm

United Russian State wrote:

Key word being eventually. I am not really worried since that won't happen for at least over 100 years. We can wait a little.

Do you realize how much shit will go down when it actually does run out? Why not bypass that, and put research into other forms of energy now?

Kwangistar
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Kwangistar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:27 pm

When oil starts to become expensive enough that we need a big shift to other energy sources, it will become economically viable to develop these sources. It's not like fusion power is going to be fueling cars and planes anyway.
"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax." - A. Einstein

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:27 pm

Oh, I never heard any official statement saying they did

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Kwangistar wrote:When oil starts to become expensive enough that we need a big shift to other energy sources, it will become economically viable to develop these sources. It's not like fusion power is going to be fueling cars and planes anyway.

No, but I'd bet the electricity generated from nuclear fusion will.

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Kwangistar wrote:When oil starts to become expensive enough that we need a big shift to other energy sources, it will become economically viable to develop these sources. It's not like fusion power is going to be fueling cars and planes anyway.

From what I know, it is safer than nuclear fission, so why not power cars and planes with it?

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:

Oh? What about the one from Edison saying he gave up nationwide DC power?

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:35 pm

New Kereptica wrote:
Seishin no Ryuu wrote:

Oh? What about the one from Edison saying he gave up nationwide DC power?

I don't believe Edison said anything about Cold Fusion.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:36 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:Oh, I never heard any official statement saying they did

I don't know as there's an official statement, but pretty much all respected physicists take it to be bullshit at this point.

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:37 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:Oh, I never heard any official statement saying they did

I don't know as there's an official statement, but pretty much all respected physicists take it to be bullshit at this point.

So they aren't saying it's impossible, just not feasible at this time.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:So they aren't saying it's impossible, just not feasible at this time.

No, they pretty much don't think it's possible physically, at all. It kinda doesn't fit very well with those pesky laws of thermodynamics.

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:So they aren't saying it's impossible, just not feasible at this time.

No, they pretty much don't think it's possible physically, at all. It kinda doesn't fit very well with those pesky laws of thermodynamics.

So those scientists that pursue it are like those who look for tachyons and gravitons?

Dolbri
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dolbri » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:43 pm

I would just like to point out that achieving cold nuclear fusion is possible, but that it is probably impossible to get net energy production out of it. Could help the discussion to make that distinction.
"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world." ~Schopenhauer
Project Gutenberg needs your help

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:So those scientists that pursue it are like those who look for tachyons and gravitons?

Gravitons are many orders of magnitude more plausible than tachyons.

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:50 pm

Seishin no Ryuu wrote:So those scientists that pursue it are like those who look for tachyons and gravitons?

Gravitons are many orders of magnitude more plausible than tachyons.

I agree, but are the scientists researching cold fusion on the same level as those looking for tachyons?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General