NATION

PASSWORD

Video Killed the Radio Star

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Patrizsia
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Video Killed the Radio Star

Postby Patrizsia » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:55 pm

Have you ever heard a song you like being used in a commercial? I don't like it. Then everyone just associates your song with that particular product.

I just saw this song used on a Radioshack commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kag95ZkntYg

And somehow a certain restaurant got their hands on this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8cCPH1qnYI

Car companies seem to really like those heavy metal songs in their advertisements. I know Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath have been employed to peddle American automobiles despite their being English bands.

There's gotta be even more, probably good songs that I only know from 30 second clips on TV. Anyone know any songs like that?

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Video Killed the Radio Star

Postby Vetalia » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:16 pm

I got a good laugh when Visa used Geoff Muldar's rendition of Brazil (from the film of the same name) to push its credit cards. The irony of using a song from a movie that lambastes the very culture the company was promoting through its ads was priceless. Of course, maybe the marketing department only saw the Sheinberg edit and went from there...
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:20 pm

Youtube video killed the radio star you mean.
yeah those advertisers love irony, but folks will run out eventually. There's only so many combinations of funny words you can string together until people finally realise that what you're trying to sell is toilet rolls with a baby on the front.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:48 pm

"Hoppipolla" by Sigur Rós pretty quickly became "the music from the Planet Earth ads", which was slightly frustrating.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Dododecapod
Minister

Founded: Nov 02, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dododecapod » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:10 pm

"Counting the Beat" got used as the music for Target ads here. Crappy ads, good song.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sierpinskistan
Secretary

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierpinskistan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:44 pm

The Levi Strauss jeans company were the first television ads to associate a nostalgic pop song with a brand. Quentin Tarantino adoped this concept to associate movie scenes with popular songs. Moby's "Play" is the album used in the most TV commercials.

Because you asked...

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:48 pm

When the Janis Joplin song 'Mercedes Benz' was used in the Mercedes adverts most people seemed to think that the marketing folks were oblivious to the irony of using an anti-consumerist song to sell their product, but I disagree. The joke is surely on those who oppose consumerism, when their attempts to mock it sell products - probably to many people who rebelled against their parents' consumer values in 1970 but drive luxury cars 25 years later. Its like anti-culture jamming.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:59 am

Johnny Cash actually had to threaten a lawsuit to stop one company using his song 'Ring of Fire' in their adverts for a haemorroid ointment... ;)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

West Failure
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Failure » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:02 am

Bears Armed wrote:Johnny Cash actually had to threaten a lawsuit to stop one company using his song 'Ring of Fire' in their adverts for a haemorroid ointment... ;)

He could have made piles from that...
Last edited by West Failure on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yootwopia wrote:
Folder Land wrote:But why do religious conservatives have more power in the States but not so much power in the UK that still has a state church?

Because our country is better than yours.

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:07 am

Completely irrelevant story, based on the thread title.

I was in school. I heard the song on the radio "Video killed the radio star." I liked it.

Then I tried to explain to a classmate, how Video was a Roman god, and radio stars were stellar bodies which were only visible in the radio spectrum.

I wasn't farting around. I was serious. I really thought that was what the song was about. :oops:
Lucky Bicycle Works ⊂ BunnySaurus Bugsii ⊂ Nobel Hobos

More sig:
Saboteur: A well-meaning idiot, walking into the future barefoot.

The moongoose step: a combination of can-can, goose-step, and moon-step. I haven't perfected it yet.

I can however do John Cleese's Silly Walk, with elements of falling on my arse.

When we hear our future selves, we are humbled. We are willing servants.

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:08 am

West Failure wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Johnny Cash actually had to threaten a lawsuit to stop one company using his song 'Ring of Fire' in their adverts for a haemorroid ointment... ;)

He could have made piles from that...

OUUUUUCH! :lol:

More sig:

The moongoose step: a combination of can-can, goose-step, and moon-step. I haven't perfected it yet.

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:12 am

Cosmopoles wrote:When the Janis Joplin song 'Mercedes Benz' was used in the Mercedes adverts most people seemed to think that the marketing folks were oblivious to the irony of using an anti-consumerist song to sell their product, but I disagree. The joke is surely on those who oppose consumerism, when their attempts to mock it sell products - probably to many people who rebelled against their parents' consumer values in 1970 but drive luxury cars 25 years later. Its like anti-culture jamming.

Might give some satisfaction to those parents, too. The ones who tried to raise their children without consumerism, but later discovered the joys of it.

"Well, my daughter you know. She's not consumerist or anything, she only buys stuff she needs, and gets something which will last her a long time. She has a Volvo."

More sig:

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:59 am

Patrizsia wrote:Have you ever heard a song you like being used in a commercial? I don't like it. Then everyone just associates your song with that particular product.

I don't like it because it's pretty much the ultimate sellout.

Secruss
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:04 am

"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

Kantria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 06, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Kantria » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:06 am

I really don't give a damn. I don't stop listening to songs I like just because the rest of the world suddenly starts to listen to them.
Straight, white, cis male U.S. American
Secular humanist
Social democrat
Transhumanist
Techno-utopian
Atheist (6.9)
Registered Democrat

I reserve the right to compromise, change my mind and otherwise ignore ideals in favor of pragmatic, effective solutions that benefit society. Small steps forward are still progress.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:20 am

I approve of the way Mazda used all music for their ads, with no hype.

Just sleek sexy machines speeding through the night (containing sleek sexy couples)
and this surprisingly good music you never heard before
(not the usual already top 40 stuff from John Mellencamp or Bob Seeger, although i like them both)

examples include "Can't Get Enough" by The Infadels, and "Don't Upset The Rhythm" by The Noisettes
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General