NATION

PASSWORD

RELIGION! Good or Bad?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Apostledom of chaos
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

RELIGION! Good or Bad?

Postby Apostledom of chaos » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:02 pm

I want to know your opinion on religion.
I want you to contradict each other and argue.
I want you to ask questions of each other.

Please do not use self referential material as proof of your deity/religion (I.E. the bible).

HAVE FUN!

So far I'm very happy with the way this thread has been playing out!

I hope every one else is enjoying themselves.
Last edited by Apostledom of chaos on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
'God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller and smaller as time goes on.' - Neil deGrasse Tyson

I am Chaos, Killer of threads.

The jury is currently out, it has been out for a VERY long time and no, I don't expect it back any time soon.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:04 pm

Apostledom of chaos wrote:I want to know your opinion on religion.

Please do not use self referential material as proof of your deity/religion (I.E. the bible).

HAVE FUN!

Your opening gambit seems to lack substance.

What do YOU think?
I identify as
a problem

Apostledom of chaos
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Apostledom of chaos » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:09 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

HAVE FUN!

What do YOU think?

What do I think? I think that regardless of whether or not a/any deity/deities exist he/she/it/they are doing a terrible job, and are therefor not worth worshiping. I am also an Agnostic.

Now I showed you mine so you need to show me your's.
Last edited by Apostledom of chaos on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller and smaller as time goes on.' - Neil deGrasse Tyson

The jury is currently out, it has been out for a VERY long time and no, I don't expect it back any time soon.

Naurobia
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Naurobia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:14 pm

All religion is evil.
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

Apostledom of chaos
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Apostledom of chaos » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Naurobia wrote:All religion is evil.

All right back up your statement with proof.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:17 pm

I think religion is a pretty cool guy. Eh gives hope to some people and doesn’t afraid of anything.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Apostledom of chaos
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Apostledom of chaos » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:18 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:

I think religion is a pretty cool guy. Eh gives hope to some people and doesn’t afraid of anything.

Elaborate.

Ragnarsdomr
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ragnarsdomr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:20 pm

Neutral. It can be used for any purpose, just like any other tool or belief. When it's in the hands of a responsible and good-hearted individual, then it will generally be used for good. In the hands of a power-hungry or irresponsible individual, it's more likely to be used for worse. Either way, it's a wonderfully powerful motivating factor, just like any ideology, and can be used to move mountains bigger than simple, reasonable arguments can.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.82

Conservative Morality wrote:By accepting yourself and who you are. Accept violence. Accept aggression. Accept dominance. Not as a man, but as a human. Accept conflict, and find a place for it in life. Neither deny nor revel in it. Revel in one thing and one thing only: humanity. What higher goal is there, after all? Embrace who you are, what you are, and what you can be. Throw off the shackles of shame, refuse self-loathing, refuse misandry, refuse misogyny, refuse misanthropy, instead, love what you are. Love mankind, love man and woman, and love yourself.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Apostledom of chaos wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:I think religion is a pretty cool guy. Eh gives hope to some people and doesn’t afraid of anything.

Elaborate.

No thanks.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

LoL island
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby LoL island » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:23 pm

i believe in polytheism, that the universe is controlled by many hands, as you can see by my flag, i worship the "Lol Bird" the god of laughter and heartiness, he teaches me not to be less of a douche, and says to be more positive hand to hold onto hope

religion is a good idea, but has been corrupted by bullshit, and besides giving people a philosophy, has become obsolete
LOLISM WILL NEVER VANISH!
Intelligence & Reason over Fear & Fervor
Resident Bullshit Detector, Idea Factory, and Unoffical Council Member as well as the Unofficial Announcer Guy of FoG
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God
I BEAT THE 10 HOUR CHALLENGE! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Is good sex, comfortable shoes, and a warm place to go to the bathroom too much to ask for?
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.77

Sorvasia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorvasia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Religion is, without a single doubt, the greatest propaganda machine to have ever been devised by mankind, because there is no way to rebut it with logic or reason except through: faith.

And as in faith, I transparently mean: death.

Xarithis
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Xarithis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:32 pm

RELIGION! Good or Bad?

Chaotic Neutral.

Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is bad. I try not to judge all of religion by the actions of a few jerks.

Because those Jain monks are just waiting to murder your family and steal the soul of your first born child.
Last edited by Xarithis on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Until I stop procrastinating and write a Factbook, here are a few basic facts of Xarithis for reference:

Form of Government: Dictatorship
RP Population: 40,444,305
Economic System: Mixed, Leaning toward State Capitalism

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:35 pm

a whole lot of both. really. not that what the revealers of any belief, or the god they chanelled, ever intended any of their revilations to be harmful or used as excuses for causing harm.

it CAN be a very useful and positive force in human society, but in order to do so, it also needs to be kept in perspective.
god needs love too. but; no belief has ever effected humanity as profoundly as either the invention of agriculture, or the bombing of heroshima.

it is good to encourage people to want to not mess things up for each other, but people also need to understand how this happens in order to avoid doing it, not just fallow some rote pattern, in the blind hope that it will.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Robert Magoo
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Magoo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Religion is bad, but faith is good. Not the same thing at all.
Economic Left/Right: 3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Moral Compass- Rationalist (Q1): 8,9.9

Build up your wealth and give it away, but don't let the state take it. Help those in need and love your neighbor as yourself.

The Halbetan Union
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Halbetan Union » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

What do YOU think?

What do I think? I think that regardless of whether or not a/any deity/deities exist he/she/it/they are doing a terrible job, and are therefor not worth worshiping. I am also an Agnostic.

Now I showed you mine so you need to show me your's.

Terrible job? I'd say the whole not doing anything and letting us fuck things up on our own is a good plan on our overlords part.
Last edited by The Halbetan Union on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grave_n_idle wrote:
The Moral of the Story is: The Ghey is bad, because Republicans.

Neo Art wrote:So let’s get over this obsessive need to categorize things as “not natural” and “natural” in order to somehow laud the “natural”. It’s stupid. Nature will fucking kill you.

New East Ireland wrote:
Grenartia wrote: :palm:

Dammit, this is New Orleans we're talking about, not some goofy-assed Yankee suburb.

Oh yeah right.

Ok new plan: she attacks the kid with a mahdi grad beer bottle and a harpoon.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:38 pm

It's an odd by-product of the brain, like singing.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Both good and bad. I oppose religion, I would love for it to have less influence in the world, but at the same time, religion has a great deal of value insofar as motivation and inspiration are concerned.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Ramenasia
Diplomat

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramenasia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:42 pm

HAVE FUN!

Religion is a double-edged sword. It is one of many paths that people take in pursuit of happiness, moral guidance, and getting the most out of life in general. It is also responsible for many conflicts that have claimed countless lives.

I don't see why you're asking for proof though. Religion is based on faith, not factual evidence.
Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.59

Terrasricas
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Terrasricas » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:42 pm

I'd say it's mostly good at its core, but unfortunately it gets manipulated too much. The main bad aspect of most religions is that they are fundamentally greedy.
"Science, like nature, must also be tamed." - Neil Peart
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns." - Neil Peart

NationStates: Don't post your opinions in the forums. The mods will disagree with you, call you a troll, and ban you.

Conserative Morality wrote:The Bible also doesn't say that Jesus and his disciples didn't have an all-male orgy. Therefore, I am forced to assume that they did.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:...religion has a great deal of value insofar as motivation and inspiration are concerned.

It can be replaced, it's like saying cigarettes have a great deal of value for relaxation and socialability.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

The Halbetan Union
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Halbetan Union » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Ramenasia wrote:

HAVE FUN!

Religion is a double-edged sword. It is one of many paths that people take in pursuit of happiness, moral guidance, and getting the most out of life in general. It is also responsible for many conflicts that have claimed countless lives.

I don't see why you're asking for proof though. Religion is based on faith, not factual evidence.

Religion is a dull butter-knife. Awesome for spreading the good, but incredibly painful when stabbed in your eye.
Last edited by The Halbetan Union on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Neo Art wrote:So let’s get over this obsessive need to categorize things as “not natural” and “natural” in order to somehow laud the “natural”. It’s stupid. Nature will fucking kill you.

New East Ireland wrote:

Dammit, this is New Orleans we're talking about, not some goofy-assed Yankee suburb.

Oh yeah right.

Ragnarsdomr
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ragnarsdomr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:43 pm

The Halbetan Union wrote:Terrible job? I'd say the whole not doing anything and letting us fuck things up on our own is a good plan on our overlords part.

And obviously, once we're at our lowest point, it'll move in, declare itself complete and utter leader of the Universe, and force us to create twinkies and Glengoyle for its holy lusts.

Well, if I was an almighty being...
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.82

Conservative Morality wrote:By accepting yourself and who you are. Accept violence. Accept aggression. Accept dominance. Not as a man, but as a human. Accept conflict, and find a place for it in life. Neither deny nor revel in it. Revel in one thing and one thing only: humanity. What higher goal is there, after all? Embrace who you are, what you are, and what you can be. Throw off the shackles of shame, refuse self-loathing, refuse misandry, refuse misogyny, refuse misanthropy, instead, love what you are. Love mankind, love man and woman, and love yourself.

The Grand Network
Diplomat

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Network » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:44 pm

All right back up your statement with proof.

How do you back an opinion with proof? That's why it's an opinion :(
Caliphate of Islam EE Factbook

Rumbria wrote:
The Floridian Coast wrote:Implying that fascism minus racism would be appealing is like saying drinking piss is good as long as there's no arsenic mixed in.

Actually, I believe there are actually proven health benefits to drinking ones own pish. So your statement is, strangely, accurate.

The Halbetan Union
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Halbetan Union » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Ragnarsdomr wrote:
The Halbetan Union wrote:Terrible job? I'd say the whole not doing anything and letting us fuck things up on our own is a good plan on our overlords part.

And obviously, once we're at our lowest point, it'll move in, declare itself complete and utter leader of the Universe, and force us to create twinkies and Glengoyle for its holy lusts.

Well, if I was an almighty being...

He does exist!

/bow
Grave_n_idle wrote:

New East Ireland wrote:

Oh yeah right.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Barringtonia wrote:It can be replaced, it's like saying cigarettes have a great deal of value for relaxation and socialability.

Inspiration does not work like that. :meh:

Religion, despite it's many faults, has inspired great artists to make works that convey both emotion and analytical thought from the effects of religion and their own faith. What would this world be without Paradise Falls? Without The Last Supper? Without Michealangelo's Pietà?

Infinitely poorer.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General