NATION

PASSWORD

US/Obama Healthcare Plan Consolidated MEGA-THREAD

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Founded: Apr 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:43 pm

Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:
Jocabia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Where exactly has my argument failed? My argument has succeeded. Obviously not in convincing you, but that's besides the point. The government has failed in projecting costs of various healthcare programs in the past by staggering amounts. I know, I know, lets give them the power over our healthcare. But wait! That is not enough! We should also make them be bankers, and car manufacturers. And run insurers. Seriously, as good as Obama is, we should abolish all private business and have him run it. That is the best way out of this private market created mess. Fuck those greedy capitalists. Scum.

/sarcasm

The government has so it's best that we look at similar systems. All historic and current data points away from your system and toward the proposed system. Now, I don't know where you studied economics but did they actually encourage you to actually look at similar systems and see how they work?

I would consider Medicaid to be a pretty similar system to what is proposed for the government option. The ten year cost of Medicaid was woefully underestimated -- By maybe six times? Plus, it's not that effective. Coverage isn't good, care isn't universally available, fraud is rampant, and it's going to be bankrupt in a few years.

Is that what we want to repeat?

Medicaid is funded by subsidies, not premiums.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:I hate all "spin doctoring". I don't mind honest disagreement and it's possible that people are expressing honest opinions, but spin doctoring is so pervasive, I gotta ask if I suspect it.

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:45 pm

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ wrote:
Jocabia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Where exactly has my argument failed? My argument has succeeded. Obviously not in convincing you, but that's besides the point. The government has failed in projecting costs of various healthcare programs in the past by staggering amounts. I know, I know, lets give them the power over our healthcare. But wait! That is not enough! We should also make them be bankers, and car manufacturers. And run insurers. Seriously, as good as Obama is, we should abolish all private business and have him run it. That is the best way out of this private market created mess. Fuck those greedy capitalists. Scum.

/sarcasm

The government has so it's best that we look at similar systems. All historic and current data points away from your system and toward the proposed system. Now, I don't know where you studied economics but did they actually encourage you to actually look at similar systems and see how they work?

I would consider Medicaid to be a pretty similar system to what is proposed for the government option. The ten year cost of Medicaid was woefully underestimated -- By maybe six times? Plus, it's not that effective. Coverage isn't good, care isn't universally available, fraud is rampant, and it's going to be bankrupt in a few years.

All right, I'm dense. Government takes taxes, calls it subsidies, funds Medicaid. Government takes taxes, calls it premiums, funds Obamacare.

What's the difference besides the name applied to the tax revenue?

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:48 pm

Jocabia wrote:

/sarcasm

I think you missed my point entirely. Where did you study economics? I am quite curious.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:50 pm

Jocabia wrote:

/sarcasm

All right, I'm dense. Government takes taxes, calls it subsidies, funds Medicaid. Government takes taxes, calls it premiums, funds Obamacare.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... no. Apparently you haven't been watching the news for the past three months. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_option
You-Gi-Owe wrote:I hate all "spin doctoring". I don't mind honest disagreement and it's possible that people are expressing honest opinions, but spin doctoring is so pervasive, I gotta ask if I suspect it.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:51 pm

anyone wish to address my "hobo with cancer" arguement and why we arent proposing free healthcare?
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!
My Website | My Blogs | My Facebook Page

Who is John Galt?

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:54 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:anyone wish to address my "hobo with cancer" arguement and why we arent proposing free healthcare?

Like I said before, you're only entitled to emergency care if you have no money.

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Jocabia wrote:

/sarcasm

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... no. Apparently you haven't been watching the news for the past three months. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_option

When one pays money to the government, it's taxes, no matter what they may want to call it. If it's required, then it's even more clear that it's a tax.

The idea that the government can completely fund anything with user fees (taxes paid by individuals for government services) is laughable. Post Office anyone? Isn't that the President's example of how we will have increased competition, by the way?

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:57 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:anyone wish to address my "hobo with cancer" arguement and why we arent proposing free healthcare?

I suspect that your hobo would be able to receive Medicaid, should he decide to register -- back to the uninsured die more often than insured fallacy. Medicaid isn't being cut, so if he isn't 65+, and eligible for Medicare, which is being cut, then he should be fine.

He should see a community organizer and sign up for food stamps, too. Maybe get some tax help, as well.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:58 pm

Sibirsky wrote:Ok I'll you give you that increase. But I will point out, that it does not address costs. It will be much mote expensive than proposed. And other programs will help decrease the standard of living.

I would gladly sacrifice a percentage point or two of GDP growth every year in exchange for health care for everybody.

A percentage point or two every year? Insanity. Over the past 40 years, US GDP has grown at 2.97%. It is currently at about $14 trillion. A percentage or two would be 1.97% or 0.97% growth. Keep in mind as well, that US population growth has been growing at 0.85%. Fire up your Excel and follow along! Assuming constant population growth over the next 40 years, a difference of 2.97% to 1.97% annual growth results in a 48% higher GDP/capita. Comparing 2.97% growth to 0.97% results in 2.19 times higher standard of living. Yes, that 1 or 2% compounded every year on top of trillions of dollars, does results of some significance.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:59 pm

Jocabia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Ok I'll you give you that increase. But I will point out, that it does not address costs. It will be much mote expensive than proposed. And other programs will help decrease the standard of living.

I love how you agree to that increase and then wave it away with your hand. What possible increase could be more important?

As far as other programs, start a blog. Or, you know, actually create another thread. This thread is about healthcare and you just conceded the point.

I am talking about your beloved government estimating costs of government programs. At which they have failed miserably every single time.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:00 pm

Jocabia wrote:

/sarcasm

When one pays money to the government, it's taxes, no matter what they may want to call it. If it's required, then it's even more clear that it's a tax.

The idea that the government can completely fund anything with user fees (taxes paid by individuals for government services) is laughable. Post Office anyone? Isn't that the President's example of how we will have increased competition, by the way?

If it is taxes why is it someone can get out of it by buying private insurance ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:01 pm

Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:When one pays money to the government, it's taxes, no matter what they may want to call it. If it's required, then it's even more clear that it's a tax.

Ah, so if you change the definition of a word, then your argument makes sense.

The price you pay for a postage stamp is not a tax, it is a price. You pay money for a service rendered. Your income taxes are a tax because you have no choice but to pay them or go to jail.

Consult the dictionary if you don't believe me.

" 1.

A contribution for the support of a government required of persons, groups, or businesses within the domain of that government."

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:03 pm

greed and death wrote:
Jocabia wrote:

/sarcasm

If it is taxes why is it someone can get out of it by buying private insurance ?

For the same reason that I can have a package delivered by FedEx, instead of having it lost by the post office.

And it isn't real competition, just to forestall that comment, because I can't buy stamps from FedEx and have them deliver my first class mail.

It's choice, not competition.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:05 pm

Jocabia wrote:

/sarcasm

bvious, logical thing to do would be to put them in charge of our healthcare, banks, insurers and automakers.

Entire cost of the program? Close to 10 times. So this freaking $871 billion bill. (For which they collect money for 10 years, but pay out for only 5) could really be $8.8 TRILLION (or more), as I have stated previously (with evidence) the government is extremely bad at estimating costs. So the o
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:07 pm

I suspect that your hobo would be able to receive Medicaid, should he decide to register -- back to the uninsured die more often than insured fallacy. Medicaid isn't being cut, so if he isn't 65+, and eligible for Medicare, which is being cut, then he should be fine.

He should see a community organizer and sign up for food stamps, too. Maybe get some tax help, as well.

Someone said that we arent promising FREE healthcare. But we are promising Universal healthcare. So a hobo, aged 25 years old (hes a druggy/drunk) gets liver cancer. He goes and gets treatment. He cant pay. How is that ANYTHING other than FREE?
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!
My Website | My Blogs | My Facebook Page

Who is John Galt?

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:When one pays money to the government, it's taxes, no matter what they may want to call it. If it's required, then it's even more clear that it's a tax.

The price you pay for a postage stamp is not a tax, it is a price. You pay money for a service rendered. Your income taxes are a tax because you have no choice but to pay them or go to jail.

" 1.

A contribution for the support of a government required of persons, groups, or businesses within the domain of that government."

Regardless of the name you give to the government revenue that funds the program, Medicaid has skyrocketed in costs, and will be bankrupt soon. Unless the users can completely fund Obamacare, it will be exactly like the Post Office, with huge subsidies from the general fund. Using Medicaid as an example of underestimation, Obamacare will cost anywhere from 3 to 6 to 10 times as much in ten years and premiums will be unable to support the costs of the program.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Jocabia wrote:

/sarcasm

It is. President Odumba conveniently forgets to mention that it is illegal to compete with the post office. But UPS and FedEx do fine!
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:10 pm

" 1.

Regardless of the name you give to the government revenue that funds the program, Medicaid has skyrocketed in costs, and will be bankrupt soon. Unless the users can completely fund Obamacare, it will be exactly like the Post Office, with huge subsidies from the general fund. Using Medicaid as an example of underestimation, Obamacare will cost anywhere from 3 to 6 to 10 times as much in ten years and premiums will be unable to support the costs of the program.

Meh, the post office managed to survive a couple hundred years before starting to lose money. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:11 pm

Sibirsky wrote:It is. President Odumba conveniently forgets to mention that it is illegal to compete with the post office. But UPS and FedEx do fine!

I like President Hopeychangey better. I think it catches his indecision and indifference a lot better.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:12 pm

" 1.

The post office loses money every year. Meaning it survives on tax revenue. It is a tax. And an extremely wasteful one at that.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:12 pm

greed and death wrote:
Jocabia wrote:

/sarcasm

For the same reason that I can have a package delivered by FedEx, instead of having it lost by the post office.

And it isn't real competition, just to forestall that comment, because I can't buy stamps from FedEx and have them deliver my first class mail.

It's choice, not competition.

And for the person who does not want to send a letter ?
You still charge him for the stamp?
Last edited by Greed and Death on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:14 pm

" 1.

Meh, the post office managed to survive a couple hundred years before starting to lose money. I'm willing to give it a shot.

WHERE IN THE WORLD DID THAT COME FROM? The USPS was a government agency until recently, when it became a government corporation. In both cases, it was heavily subsidized by tax revenue. If that's the best you have, it's time to quit.

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Sibirsky wrote:

" 1.

The post office loses money every year. Meaning it survives on tax revenue. It is a tax. And an extremely wasteful one at that.

It only started losing money recently

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:17 pm

Sibirsky wrote:It is. President Odumba conveniently forgets to mention that it is illegal to compete with the post office. But UPS and FedEx do fine!

I like President Hopeychangey better. I think it catches his indecision and indifference a lot better.

I find him extremely decisive. Then again, my name for him, although it rhymes with his real name, is also deceptive. I think, he is making all the mistakes he is making, intentionally.
Last edited by Sibirsky on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Sibirsky wrote:

" 1.

It only started losing money recently

Again, you're getting off track. Why are "premiums" going to be sufficient to completely fund Obamacare? We know costs will escalate well beyond the 10 year estimate. In fact, didn't the CBO, or GAO call the budget unsustainable?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General