NATION

PASSWORD

Should Turkey return the territories it has stolen?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Turkey return the territories it has stolen from Greece, Armenia and Kurdistan?

Yes, but more than in the Treaty of Sèvres
10%
Yes
19%
Only allow the creation of an independant kurdish state
22%
No
42%
Other
7%

Total votes : 147

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Cosmopoles wrote:
The Treaty of Sevres was forced on the defeated Ottomans. If you are going to insist that treaties forced on a defeated party shouldn't be honoured then why should Turkey honour Sevres?

Oh, man, if they invalidate the Third Treaty of San Ildefonso, Imosgone and I and a few others are going to become Spanish subjects.

Heck, go back one treaty, and I'm French.

I'm going to start acting French, and begin the movement to give the land back to the French.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Galloism wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Oh, man, if they invalidate the Third Treaty of San Ildefonso, Imosgone and I and a few others are going to become Spanish subjects.

Heck, go back one treaty, and I'm French.

I'm going to start acting French, and begin the movement to give the land back to the French.

Your Spanish wife might not care for that.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:23 pm

should is such a utopian word. and people accuse me of being utopian. everyone "should" return every place it has stolen from it earliest inhabitants. if that were even possible. certainly wherever it is.
some place, like with turkey and kurdistan it might actually BE possible. (or with the u.s. and hawaii, puerto rico and 'american' samoa, and china and tibet)

the problem with most places though, is that virtually EVERY modern nation was stolen from somebody, and in most cases more then once.

i don't have a one size fits all answer for everybody, except to suggest that the whole concept of national soverignty is highly over rated.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You're the expert on treaties, figure it out.

Somewhere in the former lousiana territory, but where exactly?

It's actually none of your business, is it? Let's just call it the US and leave it at that.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Heck, go back one treaty, and I'm French.

Your Spanish wife might not care for that.

Acting French, or the movement?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:24 pm

Keronians wrote: But then again, the Kurdish don't really want to separate from Turkey.

You are seriously mistaken.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:25 pm

Galloism wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Your Spanish wife might not care for that.

Either, but then again, she seems to be an open-minded woman, so what do I know? :p

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Acting French, or the movement?

Either, but then again, she seems to be an open-minded woman, so what do I know? :p

I'm going to have to practice thinking I'm better than everyone else.

Oh wait... no I don't. 8)

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Galloism wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Your Spanish wife might not care for that.

Both?
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Sucrati wrote:
Galloism wrote:Yeah... no.

90 years later, when everyone involved in the original event is now dead, and everyone is used to the government they have?

No.

No, that would be like asking if Israel should go back to certain borders... wait, many would want that

Or if the USA should give up parts of the southwest and give it back to Mexico... well, there are groups advocating that...

Sad part is people will bitch and say Turkey dosn't need to return anything but when it comes to Israel they will jump all over them.
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:30 pm

No, since there are very few Greeks or Armenians left in Turkey. Kurdish independence would have to be supported by most Turkish Kurds, and then there'd be the matter of Iraq and Iran's Kurds.

What about the Assyrians? They always get forgotten in these things.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Angleter wrote:No, since there are very few Greeks or Armenians left in Turkey. Kurdish independence would have to be supported by most Turkish Kurds, and then there'd be the matter of Iraq and Iran's Kurds.

All 22,000 of them? Yeah, they do.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Considering an active Turkish government never signed that treaty and the fact that it was annulled and replaced, I have no idea why they should.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Arilandon
Envoy

Founded: Jun 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Arilandon wrote:Somewhere in the former lousiana territory, but where exactly?

It's actually none of your business, is it? Let's just call it the US and leave it at that.

Well i was't even meaning which settlement just which state.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:34 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Sucrati wrote:
No, that would be like asking if Israel should go back to certain borders... wait, many would want that

Or if the USA should give up parts of the southwest and give it back to Mexico... well, there are groups advocating that...

Sad part is people will bitch and say Turkey dosn't need to return anything but when it comes to Israel they will jump all over them.

There is practically no debate about Turkish borders. There is a clear and marked difference.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It's actually none of your business, is it? Let's just call it the US and leave it at that.

Well i was't even meaning which settlement just which state.

Tell me why it's relevant to anything first.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Angleter wrote:No, since there are very few Greeks or Armenians left in Turkey. Kurdish independence would have to be supported by most Turkish Kurds, and then there'd be the matter of Iraq and Iran's Kurds.

They dont really have any obvious place where they could have they nation-state.

Veblenia
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Veblenia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Cosmopoles wrote:
The Treaty of Sevres was forced on the defeated Ottomans. If you are going to insist that treaties forced on a defeated party shouldn't be honoured then why should Turkey honour Sevres?

Becuase it was a fair treaty, allocating land based on the ethnic composition of the areas.

But by your own admission the "ethnic composition" of those territories is not what it was. Allocating them as they were 90 years ago no longer makes sense.
Political Compass: -6.62, -7.69
"Freedom is a horizon in which we continually re-negotiate the terms of our own subjugation."
- Michel Foucault

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Arilandon wrote:Well i was't even meaning which settlement just which state.

Tell me why it's relevant to anything first.

It's not i just wanted to know.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:

There is practically no debate about Turkish borders. There is a clear and marked difference.

No there is no difference, just because there isn't a debate about it means nothing, if people are going to bitch about Israel then they better bitch about any other nation on this earth that has taken territory.
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Considering an active Turkish government never signed that treaty and the fact that it was annulled and replaced, I have no idea why they should.

It was signed by the ottoman empire which was turkish.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:36 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:There is practically no debate about Turkish borders. There is a clear and marked difference.

No there is no difference, just because there isn't a debate about it means nothing, if people are going to bitch about Israel then they better bitch about any other nation on this earth that has taken territory.

Well, that would be...

*scribbles on the board*

Let's see... multiply by 2, carry the 1...

All of them.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:37 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:There is practically no debate about Turkish borders. There is a clear and marked difference.

Even when they are wholly different situations? When one situation presently is causing harm to thousands of people and the other did so one hundred years prior? Mmm, no.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Considering an active Turkish government never signed that treaty and the fact that it was annulled and replaced, I have no idea why they should.

It was signed by the ottoman empire which was turkish.

The treaty was never ratified, and it was annulled either way.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:

What is that even for a kind of argument? Just becuase there is no debate (which there actually is in some circles and especially regarding kurdistan) does't mean it is justified.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General