NATION

PASSWORD

Should Turkey return the territories it has stolen?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Turkey return the territories it has stolen from Greece, Armenia and Kurdistan?

Yes, but more than in the Treaty of Sèvres
10%
Yes
19%
Only allow the creation of an independant kurdish state
22%
No
42%
Other
7%

Total votes : 147

Leepaidamba
Minister

Founded: Sep 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Leepaidamba » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Leepaidamba wrote:Question: how can you return what has never been owned by the one you're returning it to? The Greek territories could be returned, the Armenian territories were never Armenian, or at least mostly not owned by an Armenian stat.

And on the topic of forced removals: the Greek government not only approved of it but also exchanged a large number of Muslim, though not necessarily Turkish or even Turkic, people with Turkey.

But seriously, is this all you are willing to discuss?

1. it was according to an international treaty signed by the previous "owners" and armenia
2. it was clearly forced on the greek government, they had just been at war with turkey and needed peace and good realations. Also 500 thousand muslims for 2,5 million greeks does't seem like a fair deal
3. i dont understand the question

1. Could you elaborate.
2. I don't think it was fair either but history isn't fair. Whether it was forced is disputable but I'm not going to dispute it.
3. You've been banned before after a similar thread became a "yes they did-no they didn't" argument. Do you really want that anymore? Can't you actually give good arguments beyond historical arguments?
And after all, you can't punish the sons for the crimes of the fathers. Let alone for the crimes of the grandfathers.
Factbook
Official name: the Grand Duchy of Leepaidamba
Short name: Amba
AKA: the Grand Duchy
Demonym: Leepaidamban/Amban
HoS: co-Grand Dukes David I and Anna I
HoG: Premier Jaap de Waal
Region: Nederland
Map by PB
FlagsNational animal: Rabit
National motto: "Paene est non." (Almost is not)
National anthem: " 't Lied der Vrijheid" (the Song of Freedom)
CapitalsCurrency: Amban Florin/Aƒ
Languages
Dependencies
No news

Arilandon
Envoy

Founded: Jun 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Leepaidamba wrote:
Arilandon wrote:1. it was according to an international treaty signed by the previous "owners" and armenia
2. it was clearly forced on the greek government, they had just been at war with turkey and needed peace and good realations. Also 500 thousand muslims for 2,5 million greeks does't seem like a fair deal
3. i dont understand the question

1. Could you elaborate.
2. I don't think it was fair either but history isn't fair. Whether it was forced is disputable but I'm not going to dispute it.
3. You've been banned before after a similar thread became a "yes they did-no they didn't" argument. Do you really want that anymore? Can't you actually give good arguments beyond historical arguments?
And after all, you can't punish the sons for the crimes of the fathers. Let alone for the crimes of the grandfathers.

wikipedia wrote:The treaty had four signatories for the Ottoman Empire: Rıza Tevfik, the grand vizier Damat Ferid Pasha, ambassador Hadi Pasha and the minister of education Reşid Halis who were endorsed by Sultan Mehmed VI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_sevres
2. so, what?
3. When exactly?
4. thats not what i'm saying either
Last edited by Arilandon on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:49 pm

I do not know If anything we should return Greece to Turkish rule the Turks seem to have a better head for math.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:50 pm

greed and death wrote:I do not know If anything we should return Greece to Turkish rule the Turks seem to have a better head for math.

Are you refering to the greek debt crisis?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:So the Greeks bought peace and good relations after getting their butts kicked by the Turks. Funny, that. So, what are you upset about, that one Muslim was valued as equal to five Greeks? Maybe 500 thousand is all the Greeks had.

Why is that funny? I'm upset about people having lived for maybe more than 1000-2000 years in an area being forcefully removed, by principal i'm allways oppesed to forced removals

Not "funny ha ha" but "funny gosh what a surprise". Somehow I can't help wonder about the depth of your outrage, sorry. Besides regaling us about the horrors which non-Turks are subject to (I'll concede the point on that, just wanted you to do a little due diligence) and lecturing us on 80 y/o treaties, what are you doing personally to correct these injustices?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Arilandon wrote:Why is that funny? I'm upset about people having lived for maybe more than 1000-2000 years in an area being forcefully removed, by principal i'm allways oppesed to forced removals

Not "funny ha ha" but "funny gosh what a surprise". Somehow I can't help wonder about the depth of your outrage, sorry. Besides regaling us about the horrors which non-Turks are subject to (I'll concede the point on that, just wanted you to do a little due diligence) and lecturing us on 80 y/o treaties, what are you doing personally to correct these injustices?

Informing people. I cant do much at the movement since i'm a student.

Veblenia
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Veblenia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Arilandon wrote:2. it was clearly forced on the greek government, they had just been at war with turkey and needed peace and good realations.

That is usually why peace treaties are signed.
Political Compass: -6.62, -7.69
"Freedom is a horizon in which we continually re-negotiate the terms of our own subjugation."
- Michel Foucault

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Veblenia wrote:
Arilandon wrote:2. it was clearly forced on the greek government, they had just been at war with turkey and needed peace and good realations.

That is usually why peace treaties are signed.

Does't mean it ws justified, since the Greco-Turkish war was an unjust and brutal war. That's mainly what i'm discussing, not whatever or not the greek government should have signed the population exchange treaty.

EDIT: also it was't a peace treaty the Treaty of Lausanne was the peace treaty, the population exchange treaty was a follow up treaty.
Last edited by Arilandon on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mediterreania
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:59 pm

I have Armenian friends, making me a biased party...
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Not "funny ha ha" but "funny gosh what a surprise". Somehow I can't help wonder about the depth of your outrage, sorry. Besides regaling us about the horrors which non-Turks are subject to (I'll concede the point on that, just wanted you to do a little due diligence) and lecturing us on 80 y/o treaties, what are you doing personally to correct these injustices?

Informing people. I cant do much at the movement since i'm a student.

In other words, nothing. Students have moved the world in the past, but I guess the youth of today is not as brave as their parents were.

And by the way, stop offering the Treaty of Sèvres as proof of anything, it is not in effect anywhere but in history books. Lausanne superseded it and before you say "forced on the signatories" again, one might make as strong a case as Sèvres being forced on the Turks.

Again, I lost family to the Turks in 1915, so you aren't teaching me anything. Use your energy to right wrongs that can be corrected, not ones from what is practically ancient history.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Arilandon wrote:
greed and death wrote:I do not know If anything we should return Greece to Turkish rule the Turks seem to have a better head for math.

Are you refering to the greek debt crisis?

Why should we give you more land when your about to collapse the land you got.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:08 pm

greed and death wrote:
Arilandon wrote:Are you refering to the greek debt crisis?

They'll need it to replace the land that collapses. Come on, G&D, think about it.

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Arilandon wrote:2. it was clearly forced on the greek government, they had just been at war with turkey and needed peace and good realations. Also 500 thousand muslims for 2,5 million greeks does't seem like a fair deal

The Treaty of Sevres was forced on the defeated Ottomans. If you are going to insist that treaties forced on a defeated party shouldn't be honoured then why should Turkey honour Sevres?
Last edited by Cosmopoles on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Arilandon wrote:Informing people. I cant do much at the movement since i'm a student.

In other words, nothing. Students have moved the world in the past, but I guess the youth of today is not as brave as their parents were.

And by the way, stop offering the Treaty of Sèvres as proof of anything, it is not in effect anywhere but in history books. Lausanne superseded it and before you say "forced on the signatories" again, one might make as strong a case as Sèvres being forced on the Turks.

Again, I lost family to the Turks in 1915, so you aren't teaching me anything. Use your energy to right wrongs that can be corrected, not ones from what is practically ancient history.

1. Are you doing anything?
2. I manly use turkish injustices as proof

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:15 pm

Cosmopoles wrote:
Arilandon wrote:2. it was clearly forced on the greek government, they had just been at war with turkey and needed peace and good realations. Also 500 thousand muslims for 2,5 million greeks does't seem like a fair deal

The Treaty of Sevres was forced on the defeated Ottomans. If you are going to insist that treaties forced on a defeated party shouldn't be honoured then why should Turkey honour Sevres?

Oh, man, if they invalidate the Third Treaty of San Ildefonso, Imosgone and I and a few others are going to become Spanish subjects.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:16 pm

greed and death wrote:
Arilandon wrote:Are you refering to the greek debt crisis?

I'm not greek.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:16 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:In other words, nothing. Students have moved the world in the past, but I guess the youth of today is not as brave as their parents were.

1. Are you doing anything?

I don't have my knickers in a twist over it. I realize that this is a wrong whose time has passed, whose time had passed by 1930. Use all the injustice you like, that's fine, just stop with the invalid treaties.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Arilandon wrote:
greed and death wrote:Why should we give you more land when your about to collapse the land you got.

I'm not greek.

I asked you before, what's your ethnic interest in this? Or do you have one?

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Cosmopoles wrote:

Becuase it was a fair treaty, allocating land based on the ethnic composition of the areas.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Cosmopoles wrote:

Oh, man, if they invalidate the Third Treaty of San Ildefonso, Imosgone and I and a few others are going to become Spanish subjects.

Where do you live?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Oh, man, if they invalidate the Third Treaty of San Ildefonso, Imosgone and I and a few others are going to become Spanish subjects.

Where do you live?

You're the expert on treaties, figure it out.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Arilandon wrote:I'm not greek.

I asked you before, what's your ethnic interest in this? Or do you have one?

I told you, no.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Arilandon wrote:1. Are you doing anything?

I don't have my knickers in a twist over it. I realize that this is a wrong whose time has passed, whose time had passed by 1930. Use all the injustice you like, that's fine, just stop with the invalid treaties.

But it think the borders should be returned to the borders of that treaty.

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Arilandon wrote:Becuase it was a fair treaty, allocating land based on the ethnic composition of the areas.

It doesn't matter if it came with two weeks at an all inclusive resort in the Bahamas, the Greek government agreed to annul it so it can't be enforced.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Arilandon wrote:Where do you live?

You're the expert on treaties, figure it out.

Somewhere in the former lousiana territory, but where exactly?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General