NATION

PASSWORD

Should Turkey return the territories it has stolen?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should Turkey return the territories it has stolen from Greece, Armenia and Kurdistan?

Yes, but more than in the Treaty of Sèvres
10%
Yes
19%
Only allow the creation of an independant kurdish state
22%
No
42%
Other
7%

Total votes : 147

Arilandon
Envoy

Founded: Jun 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Should Turkey return the territories it has stolen?

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Under the terms of the Treaty of Sèvres, the territories that had historically belonged to Greece and Armenia, and still had a majority of each ethnic group, was returned to these to countries, while the areas that had a majority of ethnic kurds was reserved for a future Kurdistan.
But the new turkish supremacists government would not allow this, and thus in a murderous rampage they conquered these territories. Afterwards they ethnically cleansed these areas via genocide and forced removals.

In order to right these wrongs, should't Turkey return these territories to the countries they rightfully belong to?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:18 pm

Arilandon wrote:Under the terms of the Treaty of Sèvres, the territories that had historically belonged to Greece and Armenia, and still had a majority of each ethnic group, was returned to these to countries, while the areas that had a majority of ethnic kurds was reserved for a future Kurdistan.

But the new turkish supremacists government would not allow this, and thus in a murderous rampage they conquered these territories. Afterwards they ethnically cleansed these areas via genocide and forced removals.

In order to right these wrongs, should't Turkey return these territories to the countries they rightfully belong to?

Ok, I'll admit I'm not familiar with this particular event.

What year was this?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Galloism wrote:
Arilandon wrote:Under the terms of the Treaty of Sèvres, the territories that had historically belonged to Greece and Armenia, and still had a majority of each ethnic group, was returned to these to countries, while the areas that had a majority of ethnic kurds was reserved for a future Kurdistan.

What year was this?

The Treaty of Sevres?

It was signed in 1920, I believe. It was among the peace treaties of the GODDAMN FIRST WORLD WAR.

Really, it's been almost 100 years now. No, they shouldn't.

EDIT: Though they shouldn't deny the people of these zones a plebiscite if they want one either. But then again, the Kurdish don't really want to separate from Turkey.
Last edited by Keronians on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Galloism wrote:

What year was this?

1915-1923

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Galloism wrote:Ok, I'll admit I'm not familiar with this particular event.

What year was this?

1915-1923

Yeah... no.

90 years later, when everyone involved in the original event is now dead, and everyone is used to the government they have?

No.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Galloism wrote:
Arilandon wrote:1915-1923

Yeah... no.

90 years later, when everyone involved in the original event is now dead, and everyone is used to the government they have?

No.

Off course there is no one left, because they were all murdered. And there are still some left who are still oppresed by the turkish government.

Old Koridai
Lobbyist

Founded: May 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Koridai » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Arilandon wrote:In order to right these wrongs

Don't know about anyone else, but... i don't know how you go about making right again after you puposefully hunted down and "got rid" of a good few millions of people.

At the risk of being called out with Godwin's Law... would you forgive the german holocaust?

Veblenia
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Veblenia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Given that the Treaty of Lausanne supersedes Sevres, no.
Political Compass: -6.62, -7.69
"Freedom is a horizon in which we continually re-negotiate the terms of our own subjugation."
- Michel Foucault

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:28 pm

Old Koridai wrote:
Arilandon wrote:In order to right these wrongs

Don't know about anyone else, but... i don't know how you go about making right again after you puposefully hunted down and "got rid" of a good few millions of people.

At the risk of being called out with Godwin's Law... would you forgive the german holocaust?

I have and the rest of the world should do so too. There is no reason to be angry and vengefull against the germans, especially since the vast majority of germans were born after world war 2.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Galloism wrote:

Yeah... no.

No.

Just so, and members of one side of my family were directly affected by the 1915 Armenian genocide. It's too late.

And anyway, Arilandon, what do you propose to do with all the Turks living in those areas now? A bit of ethnic cleansing in retribution?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Sucrati
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sucrati » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Galloism wrote:

Yeah... no.

No.

No, that would be like asking if Israel should go back to certain borders... wait, many would want that

Or if the USA should give up parts of the southwest and give it back to Mexico... well, there are groups advocating that...
Economic Left/Right: 7.12; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.92
George Washington wrote:"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Veblenia wrote:Given that the Treaty of Lausanne supersedes Sevres, no.

The Treaty of Lausanne was forced on the signers by the turkish government.

Leepaidamba
Minister

Founded: Sep 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Leepaidamba » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Question: how can you return what has never been owned by the one you're returning it to? The Greek territories could be returned, the Armenian territories were never Armenian, or at least mostly not owned by an Armenian stat.

And on the topic of forced removals: the Greek government not only approved of it but also exchanged a large number of Muslim, though not necessarily Turkish or even Turkic, people with Turkey.

But seriously, is this all you are willing to discuss?
Factbook
Official name: the Grand Duchy of Leepaidamba
Short name: Amba
AKA: the Grand Duchy
Demonym: Leepaidamban/Amban
HoS: co-Grand Dukes David I and Anna I
HoG: Premier Jaap de Waal
Region: Nederland
Map by PB
FlagsNational animal: Rabit
National motto: "Paene est non." (Almost is not)
National anthem: " 't Lied der Vrijheid" (the Song of Freedom)
CapitalsCurrency: Amban Florin/Aƒ
Languages
Dependencies
No news

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Veblenia wrote:Given that the Treaty of Lausanne supersedes Sevres, no.

The Treaty of Lausanne was forced on the signers by the turkish government.

Really? The Turks forced Great Britain, Italy and Japan to sign? That's a mighty big gun they were holding.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Sucrati wrote:
Galloism wrote:Yeah... no.

No.

No, that would be like asking if Israel should go back to certain borders... wait, many would want that

Or if the USA should give up parts of the southwest and give it back to Mexico... well, there are groups advocating that...

And I rightly call all such notions without merit and blindingly absurd.

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Just getting Turkey to actually acknowledge the Armenian Genocide is an impossible task. Now you want to rip their country apart? What the fuck will that accomplish? First of all, you'd need to rip a sizable chunk out of the entire Middle East in order to create a Kurdistan big enough to protect itself from SYRIA, let alone Turkey (and pretty much every single Muslim-majority country in the area), so giving the Kurds that tiny little chunk isn't going to accomplish much. Greece is in such shitty shape economically that adding MORE territory would probably make things WORSE, let alone pissing off the Turkish enough to say "fuck that noise" and invade. Armenia is just too damn small to protect itself, and the last thing we need is Russia pulling the same stunt they did in Georgia.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Yeah... no.

No.

Just so, and members of one side of my family were directly affected by the 1915 Armenian genocide. It's too late.

And anyway, Arilandon, what do you propose to do with all the Turks living in those areas now? A bit of ethnic cleansing in retribution?

Well for a start the turkish govermnent could
1. stop the discrimination that is still taking place
2. give a right of return for refugees and they descendants.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:Just getting Turkey to actually acknowledge the Armenian Genocide is an impossible task. Now you want to rip their country apart? What the fuck will that accomplish? First of all, you'd need to rip a sizable chunk out of the entire Middle East in order to create a Kurdistan big enough to protect itself from SYRIA, let alone Turkey (and pretty much every single Muslim-majority country in the area), so giving the Kurds that tiny little chunk isn't going to accomplish much. Greece is in such shitty shape economically that adding MORE territory would probably make things WORSE, let alone pissing off the Turkish enough to say "fuck that noise" and invade. Armenia is just too damn small to protect itself, and the last thing we need is Russia pulling the same stunt they did in Georgia.

And the Turks and Armenians are actually talking after 90 years, so let's not screw things up. I doubt the Turkish government will ever acknowledge the genocide but one can hope.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeyland
Minister

Founded: Aug 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Dungeyland » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Treaty of Lausanne overruled it.
Classical liberal.
  • My nation is called the Dangish Empire, officially
  • The population is circa 500 million
  • It is an imperial federation
  • The term Dungeyland while only technically referring to one colony can be used for the entire Empire (think Holland)
  • The Dangish Empire is a constitutional monarchy, our monarch is Queen Ellen I

Factbook/Q&A
Embassy Program
Sky Corporation
If I do not reply to a post within three days, excuse me, for I am very busy nowadays. I try to update every weekend at the least.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Arilandon wrote:The Treaty of Lausanne was forced on the signers by the turkish government.

Really? The Turks forced Great Britain, Italy and Japan to sign? That's a mighty big gun they were holding.

Maybe they bought one of these after the war?

http://www.vincelewis.net/dora.html

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Just so, and members of one side of my family were directly affected by the 1915 Armenian genocide. It's too late.

Well for a start the turkish govermnent could

1. What discrimination?
2. Do they want to go back?

And I have to ask, what's your interest in the question? Besides your burning desire for justice, of course.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Leepaidamba wrote:Question: how can you return what has never been owned by the one you're returning it to? The Greek territories could be returned, the Armenian territories were never Armenian, or at least mostly not owned by an Armenian stat.

And on the topic of forced removals: the Greek government not only approved of it but also exchanged a large number of Muslim, though not necessarily Turkish or even Turkic, people with Turkey.

1. it was according to an international treaty signed by the previous "owners" and armenia
2. it was clearly forced on the greek government, they had just been at war with turkey and needed peace and good realations. Also 500 thousand muslims for 2,5 million greeks does't seem like a fair deal
3. i dont understand the question

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Arilandon wrote:
Leepaidamba wrote:Question: how can you return what has never been owned by the one you're returning it to? The Greek territories could be returned, the Armenian territories were never Armenian, or at least mostly not owned by an Armenian stat.

1. it was according to an international treaty signed by the previous "owners" and armenia
2. it was clearly forced on the greek government, they had just been at war with turkey and needed peace and good realations. Also 500 thousand muslims for 2,5 million greeks does't seem like a fair deal

So the Greeks bought peace and good relations after getting their butts kicked by the Turks. Funny, that. So, what are you upset about, that one Muslim was valued as equal to five Greeks? Maybe 500 thousand is all the Greeks had.

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:42 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Arilandon wrote:Well for a start the turkish govermnent could

1. What discrimination?
2. Do they want to go back?

And I have to ask, what's your interest in the question? Besides your burning desire for justice, of course.

wikipedia wrote:The Greek minority continues to encounter problems relating to education and property rights. A 1971 law nationalized religious high schools, and closed the Halki seminary on Istanbul's Heybeli Island which had trained Orthodox clergy since the 19th century. The latest outrage is the vandalism of the Greek cemetery on Imbros on October 29, 2010. In this context, problems affecting the Greek minority on the islands of Imbros and Tenedos continue to be reported to the European Commission.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeks_in_Turkey
2. Some might, i have seen interwievs with people who wanted to
3. Noting besides my "burning desire for justice" like many people who advocate rights for palestinians and other minorities

Arilandon
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arilandon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Arilandon wrote:1. it was according to an international treaty signed by the previous "owners" and armenia

So the Greeks bought peace and good relations after getting their butts kicked by the Turks. Funny, that. So, what are you upset about, that one Muslim was valued as equal to five Greeks? Maybe 500 thousand is all the Greeks had.

Why is that funny? I'm upset about people having lived for maybe more than 1000-2000 years in an area being forcefully removed, by principal i'm allways oppesed to forced removals

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General