NATION

PASSWORD

"I am a Democrat because I am a Mormon."

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

CommunistSovietAmerica
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "I am a Democrat because I am a Mormon."

Postby CommunistSovietAmerica » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:18 am

lalalala

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

My Army of smilies mwhahahahaha!!!
:twisted:
CommunistSovietAmerica FactBook
To All:We Are Not Communist Anymore, We've had a regime change!!!
Hail The Motherland!

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:32 am

CommunistSovietAmerica wrote:lalalala

FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF.

My army of FUCK OFFs, telling you to do just that.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:12 am

I'm not Mormon but I thought I was pretty much a democrat. So what does that make me? :(
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Al Shire
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Al Shire » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:17 am

Lizardiar wrote:What? Religious and a Democrat? Is the world ending? How is it possible?1

Run to the hills! The 1st seal has been unleashed!

HAIL AND GLORY TO THE COMING OF LORD CTHULU!!!! (lol)

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:18 am

Czardas wrote:
Buxtahatche wrote:God says that you should forgive your brother wronging you 'seventy times seven' times... and that's a lot.

It's 490. If my brother wrongs me a 491st time, am I justified in flipping out and shooting him in the head, by Christian principles?

I think somebody missed the point.

In the Jewish society at that time, the pharisees were instructing people to forgive their brother up to three times. The apostle felt he was being generous by saying seven times. When Jesus said "seventy times seven", he was not literally referring to 490, but a large number that no one would keep track of.

Ergo, as many times as you need.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Zeli
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeli » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:20 am

Anarchic-Marxist wrote:Everyone know Jesus was a commie.

Wrong!

Karl Marx
“From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.”

Jesus
"If a man will not work, he shall not eat" (II Thessalonians 3:10)

Sounds like Jesus was a Libertarian. ;)
Last edited by Zeli on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

North Occidentia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Occidentia » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:36 am

Zeli wrote:
Anarchic-Marxist wrote:Everyone know Jesus was a commie.

Wrong!

Karl Marx
“From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.”

Jesus
"If a man will not work, he shall not eat" (II Thessalonians 3:10)

Sounds like Jesus was a Libertarian. ;)

I oppose application of any ideology onto Christ. However, the Bible undeniably favors distributism.

"'He who will not work, neither shall he eat.' (2 Thessalonians 3:10) . . . But the laws of St. Paul are not merely for the poor. They are for the rich as well. . . But you say, 'I have my paternal inheritance!' Tell me, just because he is poor and was born of a poor family possessing no great wealth, is he therefore worthy to die? . . . You say that the poor do not work, but do you work yourselves? Do you not enjoy in idleness the goods you have unjustly inherited? Do you not exhaust others with labor, while you enjoy in indolence the fruit of their misery?" -St. John Chrysostom

Additionally, Karl Marx was basically just rephrasing the Book of Acts and applying it to all people, rather than just believers:
"All that believed were together, and had all things in common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need." (Acts 2:44-45)
"There was not a needy person among them, for as many as owned lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold. They laid it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need." (Acts 4:34-35)

I'm a Christian Democrat. Not Democratic Party Democrat, but the real definition of "Christian Democracy." Christian democracy, according to the infallible repository of all human knowledge, Wikipedia, is a political ideology that seeks to apply Christian (and often specifically Catholic) principles to public policy.
Last edited by North Occidentia on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
“VERITAS UNITAS CARITAS LIBERTAS”
"The desire to rule is the mother of all heresies."
-St. John Chrysostom

Maerngau
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maerngau » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:35 am

greed and death wrote:If it is not voluntary it ceases to be charity. This means it is not a part of good works if it comes from taxes.
You donate to a charity it comes from the heart.
You pay your taxes, it either comes from a sense of nationalism, or a fear of going to jail for tax evasion.
By taxing all I could donate you deny be the ability to give from my heart.

Bullshit.

I gladly pay taxes because I know that they pay for roads that YOU drive on. It really does come from the heart :)
Half Zandorff
Undersecretary for WA Relations
Grand Duchy of Maerngau
Factbook of the Grand Duchy of Maerngau

North Occidentia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Occidentia » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:14 pm

greed and death wrote:If it is not voluntary it ceases to be charity. This means it is not a part of good works if it comes from taxes.
You donate to a charity it comes from the heart.
You pay your taxes, it either comes from a sense of nationalism, or a fear of going to jail for tax evasion.
By taxing all I could donate you deny be the ability to give from my heart.

All you've done there is redefine charity to something foreign to scripture and Christian tradition. A Christian should use any means necessary to help the poor/disabled/orphan/etc., including taxes, because denying those in need is the same as denying Christ, whether voluntary or involuntary.

Additionally, consider the following:
I will vote voluntarily for a hypothetical candidate that supports views compatible with Christianity, based on my faith in God and the meditation of my heart. That candidate will help pass bills to assist those in need, which almost always means taxes. I will gladly and voluntarily pay those taxes, which Christ commanded all Christians to do, so that the needy will be helped. I'm doing all of this voluntarily and from my heart. Those who pay these taxes out of nationalism and fear cannot claim charity, however, at least based on your definition.

Of course, you can't just say "Well! Payed my taxes! Done with my Christian good works now!" One should volunteer, tithe, and act with love everywhere at all times. We all fall short of pleasing God with our works no matter what, but it is our duty as Christians to try.
“VERITAS UNITAS CARITAS LIBERTAS”
"The desire to rule is the mother of all heresies."
-St. John Chrysostom

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:22 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Brewdomia wrote:My family is kind of rich, not enormously, but a little rich, my father makes a lot of money, most people think we are fiscally conservative, but when we say we are democrat, they freak out and say "you like taxes". He says if it is for the good of society, and if everyone gets an opportunity, and use it to their advantage. He says It's fine, shocking many people.

Those people are idiots. There are plenty of "rich" Democrats and "poor" Republicans. While it's true, that people with more means tend to lean Republican, and vice versa, there is by no means great divide. I live in the richest county of the country, and the county went to Obama in the election. I have visited many people whom an average person would consider rich and who consider themselves liberal. And vote it.

Famous and rich business people like Warren Buffet, Mohammad El-Erian, David Geffen, William Louis-Dreyfus, Elisabeth Murdock, Pierre Omidyar, Dan Rooney, George Soros and Leigh Steinberg also endorsed Obama. Amongst others.

I do not vote based on party affiliation and hope most people don't either. I used to vote for the lesser of two evils, and up to this point, in Presidential elections, my votes have been split exactly 50/50 between Democrats and Republicans.

PS. Two former Republican Senators also endorsed Obama. Two former Republican Congressmen also endorsed Obama. Three former Republican Governors endorsed Obama. A Republican mayor endorsed Obama.

Excellent post & examples. I'm not looking for further division, but rather for exceptions to the perceived "rule" about which groups are supposed to hold which ideologies. You've provided a great point -- thanks.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:24 pm

The Babbage Islands wrote:I'm Mormon myself, living a long way from the intermountain West. I know a number of Mormon Democrats, as well as a rather larger percentage of Republicans and the usual array of independents and others.

There are gay, black, and poor Republicans out there, and staunch Christian and ultra-rich Democrats. Stereotyping either major American political party inevitably runs up against a lot of exceptions.

In my own case, I don't make enough money to be a Republican but I am--albeit with marked libertarian tendencies that sometimes pull me off the reservation.

Exactly this, and exactly why I started this thread, to expose all "sides" to the exceptions. Perhaps a few will realize that acting and/or reacting solely along stereotypical lines is a silly thing to do.
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Please stop spamming my thread. Thank you.

Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:25 pm

No Names Left Damn It wrote:

FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF.

My army of FUCK OFFs, telling you to do just that.

I would also appreciate you not goading other spammers. Thank you.

Their fan clubs do.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Port Arcana wrote:Haha, this is only a shocker in the states. In some of the Scandinavian countries, many of the leftist parties have christian principles and ideals, based on the reasoning that Jesus would have advocated a more egalitarian society.

'Round these parts, "render unto Caesar" means "Get a foot up your ass."
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:28 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Port Arcana wrote:Haha, this is only a shocker in the states. In some of the Scandinavian countries, many of the leftist parties have christian principles and ideals, based on the reasoning that Jesus would have advocated a more egalitarian society.

'Round these parts, "render unto Caesar" means "Get a foot up your ass."

Which parts are those?

Their fan clubs do.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General