NATION

PASSWORD

"I am a Democrat because I am a Mormon."

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

"I am a Democrat because I am a Mormon."

Postby Intangelon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:05 pm

http://www.idahodems.org/component/cont ... le/279/587

Pat Jones is the first woman to attain a leadership role in Utah's State Senate. Given her state's demographic profile, people are never surprised to hear that she's a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But tell them that she's a Democrat, and that's a different story.

Jones was among the featured presenters at the 2009 Democratic National Committee Western Regional Caucus held August 7-9 in Worley, Idaho. She began her presentation by noting that although people often avoid discussion religion and politics, "I'm going to do both."

"There's kind of a minor debate, or maybe not so minor: Is it possible to be an active or good Mormon and still be affiliated with the Democratic Party?" she noted. "I can tell you I've had people ask me that question. And I always tell them, 'I'm a Democrat because I am a Mormon.'"

This article (and it's not much longer after the bit I quoted) is very interesting and brings up an interesting point: are there people out there who buck socio-political labeling trends? I know there are, but I'm asking NSG if any of you are, for example, Log Cabin Republicans, or religious, like the Utah Democrat in the link above, and associated with a party considered anathema (by many) to religion.

If you are, how do you get treated? How do people react to you, and what is your reaction in turn?
Last edited by Intangelon on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Brewdomia
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: "I am a Democrat because I am a Mormon."

Postby Brewdomia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:11 pm

My family is kind of rich, not enormously, but a little rich, my father makes a lot of money, most people think we are fiscally conservative, but when we say we are democrat, they freak out and say "you like taxes". He says if it is for the good of society, and if everyone gets an opportunity, and use it to their advantage. He says It's fine, shocking many people.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:18 pm

One of my history professors is a Mormon democrat.
Given he leans toward the blue dog democrat camp from what I can tell.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Lizardiar
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lizardiar » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:20 pm

What? Religious and a Democrat? Is the world ending? How is it possible?1
In all corners of the globe, the free people's slogan is this:
Speak to Fascists in the language of fire! With words of bullets! With sharp wit of bayonets!

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.41

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Heck I'm a christain and I'm a democrat.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Lizardiar wrote:What? Religious and a Democrat? Is the world ending? How is it possible?1

I think after the prop 8 thing people think Mormons are ultra conservatives.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Brewdomia wrote:My family is kind of rich, not enormously, but a little rich, my father makes a lot of money, most people think we are fiscally conservative, but when we say we are democrat, they freak out and say "you like taxes". He says if it is for the good of society, and if everyone gets an opportunity, and use it to their advantage. He says It's fine, shocking many people.

I bet it does. And good on your father, by the way. Would that more thought like him.

I know plenty of underprivileged Republicans, so it's interesting to learn about the opposite-seeming incongruity. Thank you.
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Lizardiar wrote:What? Religious and a Democrat? Is the world ending? How is it possible?1

Did you read the link? It's only a few paragraphs. Give it a shot, you might get the answer to your question, and it might prove to be something less than the apocalypse.

Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:26 pm

greed and death wrote:One of my history professors is a Mormon democrat.

You ever ask him? If so, what does he say? I can understand why you wouldn't -- many consider that to be prying.

Their fan clubs do.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:Heck I'm a christain and I'm a democrat.

Hurrah for rational, reasonable Christian Liberals (in my case I use the term "Liberal" in the Canadian political party sense). Most of my older family vote Canadian Conservative, but not I, I buck the trend so to speak.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:31 pm

Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:One of my history professors is a Mormon democrat.

You ever ask him? If so, what does he say? I can understand why you wouldn't -- many consider that to be prying.

Well he mentions being a democrat at the start of all his history courses. He says despite trying to be unbiased, his views will present a biased opinion. The religious issue came up in one of our private Bsing conversations. He is one of the professors that will write me a letter of recommendation, and is one of the most prestigious professors on campus.
Barack Obama

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:34 pm

Imll be honest...I thought this thread was demonizing Democrats...I originally read the title as "I am a Democrat because I am a Moron"...

But, there's plenty of room in the Democratic Party for Mormons....whether they should be is another matter entirely, however, :?

Port Arcana
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 11, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Port Arcana » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:47 pm

Haha, this is only a shocker in the states. In some of the Scandinavian countries, many of the leftist parties have christian principles and ideals, based on the reasoning that Jesus would have advocated a more egalitarian society.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:03 pm

Port Arcana wrote:Haha, this is only a shocker in the states. In some of the Scandinavian countries, many of the leftist parties have christian principles and ideals, based on the reasoning that Jesus would have advocated a more egalitarian society.

Traditionally in the US, the religious groups were tied with the socializing factions.
William Jennings Bryan the pro creationist side during the scope monkey trial argued teaching evolution encourages fascist and blind uncaring capitalism.
Barack Obama

Brewdomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:11 pm

I have wondered how hardcore Christians are lassiez-faire capitalists, when Jesus's teaching's were more egalitarian, correct me if i am wrong

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:16 pm

Brewdomia wrote:I have wondered how hardcore Christians are lassiez-faire capitalists, when Jesus's teaching's were more egalitarian, correct me if i am wrong

Normally I hear charity is voluntary, taxes by definition are not.
Barack Obama

Brewdomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:19 pm

greed and death wrote:
Brewdomia wrote:I have wondered how hardcore Christians are lassiez-faire capitalists, when Jesus's teaching's were more egalitarian, correct me if i am wrong

Yes, but if you are a christian and you found out those taxes were going to welfare to help the poor, wouldn't you accept a slight increase in your taxes?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:23 pm

Brewdomia wrote:
greed and death wrote:

Yes, but if you are a christian and you found out those taxes were going to welfare to help the poor, wouldn't you accept a slight increase in your taxes?

If it is not voluntary it ceases to be charity. This means it is not a part of good works if it comes from taxes.
You donate to a charity it comes from the heart.
You pay your taxes, it either comes from a sense of nationalism, or a fear of going to jail for tax evasion.
By taxing all I could donate you deny be the ability to give from my heart.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barack Obama

Braaainsss
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Braaainsss » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:27 pm

greed and death wrote:If it is not voluntary it ceases to be charity. This means it is not a part of good works if it comes from taxes.
You pay your taxes, it either comes from a sense of nationalism, or a fear of going to jail for tax evasion.

By banning murder we disallow people from not murdering simply out of the goodness of their hearts.

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:30 pm

Port Arcana wrote:Haha, this is only a shocker in the states. In some of the Scandinavian countries, many of the leftist parties have christian principles and ideals, based on the reasoning that Jesus would have advocated a more egalitarian society.

I would urge you not to lump the Mormonism in the U.S. with the Christian-based principles of Scandinavia.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Land of greed
Attaché

Founded: Jun 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Land of greed » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Braaainsss wrote:
greed and death wrote:If it is not voluntary it ceases to be charity. This means it is not a part of good works if it comes from taxes.

By banning murder we disallow people from not murdering simply out of the goodness of their hearts.

I fail to see how preferring to donate to a charity rather then paying taxes for social programs somehow equates to murder.

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:33 pm

Brewdomia wrote:
greed and death wrote:

Not necessarily. People often don't mind charity so much as welfare because they can choose to donate to "their" kind of people. They don't want to think of their money going to people of different religions, different ethnicities, different sexualities, etc.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Ryadn wrote:
Brewdomia wrote:
greed and death wrote:Normally I hear charity is voluntary, taxes by definition are not.

Not necessarily. People often don't mind charity so much as welfare because they can choose to donate to "their" kind of people. They don't want to think of their money going to people of different religions, different ethnicities, different sexualities, etc.

Yes the Christian children's fund(now child fund int.) is renown for only giving aid to white people in Africa and in the 3rd world.
Barack Obama

Surote
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Surote » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:37 pm

Brewdomia wrote:My family is kind of rich, not enormously, but a little rich, my father makes a lot of money, most people think we are fiscally conservative, but when we say we are democrat, they freak out and say "you like taxes". He says if it is for the good of society, and if everyone gets an opportunity, and use it to their advantage. He says It's fine, shocking many people.

One of the smart rich people

Buxtahatche
Envoy

Founded: Jul 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Buxtahatche » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Read the Parable of the Talents.
God loves those who USE A GIVEN OPPORTUNITY. He does command us to be charitable, but He also has no real problems with punishing those who misuse and abuse that charity by removing the opportunity. Also, He says that charity should be a personal, private matter- one that is according to one's love for mankind, rather than by government mandate.

That's why I believe that welfare, medicade, government health care, and pouring billions down the tube on foreign aid to countries that make no effort to improve is outside the realms of Christian charity. That is why I'm a lassiez-faire capitalist (to the point that I hear the dreaded 'N' word everytime I open my mouth in a liberals-only area).

God says that you should forgive your brother wronging you 'seventy times seven' times... and that's a lot. But the Bible is also very clear on the fact that, even though you should forgive those who do you evil and abuse your good nature, some people just cannot be trusted to do the right thing- an you should just flat-out avoid them.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General