NATION

PASSWORD

The International Culture Thread: The U.K.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: The International Culture Thread: The U.K.

Postby Call to power » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:45 pm

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:1. Is there such a thing as correct english?

one would assume the Queens English is the official version of English

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:2. The UK is referred to as a democracy but it has a queen. I do not undertand that.

we tried having a republic but it just deteriorated into a military dictatorship last time so lets just not ask too many questions (plus we really can't be arsed)

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:3. Are Muslims taking over their country?

nah their just not liked

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:4. How is the cost of living there?

high by US standards but about the same as the Netherlands and other comparable nations

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:5. What's with people drinking warm beer?

some beer is meant to be drank warm but its not common practice at all

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:6. What do the British think of Americans, French, Arabs, etc.

a friendly attitude to the lowlands which I assume comes from the great war along with a rivalry with Germany and France that the Germans often don't get

United Russian State wrote:Is tea the favorite British drink?

yes its what fuels us

United Russian State wrote:What do they think of their queen?

shes a grandmother who you see every Christmas

United Russian State wrote:What do they think of Russians?

generally Vodka swilling mafia types bent on ruling Eastern Europe and poisoning people

the bear of the East and all that jazz

United Russian State wrote:What are some good bands there?

well internationally we do quite well so you will recognize some of the more famous ones (as a rule we fill the indie and electro genres generally) but I certainly love ladytron
Last edited by Call to power on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Anarchic-Marxist
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Anarchic-Marxist » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:52 pm

England and France wrote:1. Beauty of English is that it changes and is a mish-mash of so much. But we don't take kindly to Yankees changing it on stupid grounds, e.g. freedom fries, on lazy grounds, e.g. colour/color, or using old terms and sticking to older English, e.g. we say grill, from the French, you still say griddle a medieval word.

2. It is known as a constitutional monarchy. I hate royalty but it is far more effective for ensuring power is fairly separated than the American system. The Queen is a safety net, a PM can't do anything cos of her, but at the same time the PM doesn't have to wait for an ineffective system like the Senate and Represenatives to change its constitution (itself flawed).

3. No. Only a Daily Mail or Daily Express reader (right-wing British tabloids, think New York Post but way worse. Newspapers are still very important over here) would think that. Complete urban myth. The Mexican issue in America isn't even that big, but the Muslim issue is FAR smaller in comparison to that.

4. It's not as cheap as America but you get more in for your money. NHS, more effective benefits system etc. Many things wrong with this country but the policies of Labour in the 1945-51 government still stand strong. Food is more expensive but is of higher quality generally. America still has a quantity over quality problem. But Britain has a lack of quantity problem too.

5. Beer, ale, etc. get it from Britain, or Germany or in general Europe. The stuff Yanks drink is horrible. So weak and disgusting. Making it cold does not solve that problem. You can't handle your drink, so forgive us for liking warm beer.

6. America was never that much of a problem until Iraq. Anti-American feeling was always more a lefty and one-nation tory view, but now it's a majority. Obama is not really understood by the majority and no one cares. America cares little for the world beyond its border and in return Britain cares little for America (directly, indirectly we care a lot).

Frankophobia has been around for centuries. But that's more friendly nowadays. British people aren't particuarly serious people, not enough for real hate by the majority.

One thing to understand about the British is that they are humourous often by attacking the self, and it's always dry. We can get vicious but only with the mouth.

Britain never responded to the French Revolution across the pond because the country is moderate. There have been those who have shook politics, like Thatcher (just like Reagan over there) turning Britain and the world ever-increasingly right-wing but that is not by democracy, that is by all parties heading that way.

The British people are apathetic, and proud.

What the hell I'v never hear griddle,I mean I say and eveyone around me says grill...I don't think you know American English...Unless if the yanks say griddle hhahahaha
Last edited by Anarchic-Marxist on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 <3 Happy Hardcore
http://www.happyhardcore.com/radio/player/radio_2.asp
Six little eggs on the run they fuck each other free goes boom dubi doom, wondering when to explode goes boom dubi doom.

Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music. - Marcus Brigstocke

http://nseconomy.thirdgeek.com/nseconomy.php?nation=Anarchic-Marxist
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:35 pm

Fassitude wrote:And what would a union stand to gain from opposing expanding the curriculum, which has no effect on employment policies?

Why are you looking at it logically? Education unions do argue about the cirriculum and say what they think should or shouldn't be in it.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:37 pm

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:She can dismiss them. Does she pick their replacements? How does that work?

There will be another general vote to who will be elected to the House and a new government will form.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:38 pm

Fassitude wrote:
UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:Interesting. I had no idea Spain was a Monarchy. I always thought they were a Republic.

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:She can dismiss them. Does she pick their replacements? How does that work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_o ... ed_Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_o ... ed_Kingdom
Where do you live, and how could your school have failed you so? This is basic international civics.

Are you going to say that you know the innner workings of every country in the world?

DBC26-Winner

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:39 pm

Braaainsss wrote:
Yootopia wrote:Britain has all the documents for a constitution, we just don't need it all to be in one place ;)

How quaint. But seriously, get over yourselves and write it down.

Why do they need one?

DBC26-Winner

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:16 am

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:

1. Is there such a thing as correct english?
2. The UK is referred to as a democracy but it has a queen. I do not undertand that.
3. Are Muslims taking over their country?
4. How is the cost of living there?
5. What's with people drinking warm beer?
6. What do the British think of Americans, French, Arabs, etc.

1) Mine.
2)She's for show.
3)No. :blink:
4)It's okay, bit worse since the recesioj
5)It's nice.
6) Yanks- fat, ignorant, war-mongers, etc. Fench - pussies who make bad food. Arabs - I dunno.
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count (+puppet)

Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy - Maggie T

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:57 am

2. The UK is referred to as a democracy but it has a queen. I do not undertand that.

Not British myself, but a close neighbour, so here goes:

1) Yes.
2) Monarchies can still be democracies.
3) No. Not even close.
4) Varies from place to place, the South being more expensive than the North.
5) They don't.
6) What do "the Americans" think of the British, French, Arabs, etc? That's a stupid question when you think about it. Who here can possibly speak for all Britons, and who would have the time or patience to read such a lengthy reply?
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:20 am

Cabra West wrote:6) What do "the Americans" think of the British, French, Arabs, etc? That's a stupid question when you think about it. Who here can possibly speak for all Britons, and who would have the time or patience to read such a lengthy reply?

To be fair, anyone could answer the French one - "Show me an Englishman who doesn't hate the French and I'll show you a lier".
CI

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:40 am

Ring of Isengard wrote:
Cabra West wrote:6) What do "the Americans" think of the British, French, Arabs, etc? That's a stupid question when you think about it. Who here can possibly speak for all Britons, and who would have the time or patience to read such a lengthy reply?

To be fair, anyone could answer the French one - "Show me an Englishman who doesn't hate the French and I'll show you a lier".

I can actually show you a good few :p

That statement is about as true as "Every Irishman hates the English"... in short, utter bollocks. ;)
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Braaainsss
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Braaainsss » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:42 am

Cabra West wrote:6) What do "the Americans" think of the British, French, Arabs, etc?

We hate them all. See, it's easy.

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:42 am

Cabra West wrote:
Ring of Isengard wrote:

I can actually show you a good few :p

That statement is about as true as "Every Irishman hates the English"... in short, utter bollocks. ;)

I know, I'm both - therefor I'd hate myself. :blink: It's a more friendly sort of hate these days.
CI

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:43 am

Braaainsss wrote:
Cabra West wrote:6) What do "the Americans" think of the British, French, Arabs, etc?

Becuase we have a better culture and history? Are you jealous?
CI

Braaainsss
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Braaainsss » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:53 am

Ring of Isengard wrote:
Braaainsss wrote:

We don't need none of your elitist "culture."

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:57 am

Braaainsss wrote:
Ring of Isengard wrote:
Braaainsss wrote:We hate them all. See, it's easy.

We don't need none of your elitist "culture."

That's right - your happy being cultureless.
CI

Eofaerwic
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Eofaerwic » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:16 am

Blouman Empire wrote:

There will be another general vote to who will be elected to the House and a new government will form.

Not necessarily - if the government didn't have an absolute majority she may turn to the opposition and ask them to form a government (possibly from a coalition).

More importantly in terms of powers, she can refuse to dismiss the government (technically whenever the government wants to call a general election the Queen has to dismiss them, they can't just resign), which has occasionally happened in times of crisis (such as around the World Wars).
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Grave_n_idle: That's much better, that's not creepy at all. Nothing creepy about dropping a hook in someone's brain soup.
Mad hatters in jeans:Why is there a whirlpool inside your head?

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:34 am

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:1. Is there such a thing as correct english?

1. No. There is however such a thing as incorrect English.
2. Then you're a fucking idiot.
3. No they're not, at least not at the moment. Shoot them all just to make sure.
4. Depends on which city etc.
5. What's with Americans drinking frozen regurgitated crow's piss?
6. This may surprise you, but not all of us have the exact same thoughts about everything.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Eofaerwic
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Eofaerwic » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:37 am

No Names Left Damn It wrote:*snip*

HA! Knew you couldn't stay away!
Grave_n_idle: That's much better, that's not creepy at all. Nothing creepy about dropping a hook in someone's brain soup.

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:38 am

Eofaerwic wrote:HA! Knew you couldn't stay away!

I know, it's been a hard week. I am however cutting down so it's all good.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Eofaerwic
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Eofaerwic » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:58 am

No Names Left Damn It wrote:

You know the first step to finding a solution is admiting you have a problem. Say it with us:

"Hi, My name is No Names Left Damn It and I'm an NSG addict"

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:59 am

Eofaerwic wrote:
No Names Left Damn It wrote:

You know the first step to finding a solution is admiting you have a problem. Say it with us:

"Hi, My name is No Names Left Damn It and I'm an NSG addict"

The solution is more NSG.
End the Modigarchy now.

Bewilder
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Bewilder » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:13 am

To start this off:

Anyone can ask questions.

1. No - sadly the dialects have all but died out but there are still strong regional accents and odd dialect words and sayings that have remained common in different areas.
2. Queenie is a figurehead and has some ceremonial roles to play but takes no active part in government.
3. No - but they are responsible for some great take-aways. Most Brits of any denomination seem to stick to the old "mind your own business" rule and don't really care what religion / colour the folks next door are. Of course there is a loud minority seeking to cause trouble and these are the folks you hear of in the news.
4. Varies very much - London is expensive, surrounding areas a little cheaper and the north of the country is very reasonable. The average annual salary is roughly £25k.
5. Ales and bitters should be at room temperature to bring out the full flavour of the brew. The less flavour a brew has, the colder you need to drink it.
6. I obviously can't speak for anybody else, but my own opinion of Americans is very mixed. I'm sorry to say that the negative reaction of a lot of Americans to the idea that everybody should get healthcare and the sheer selfishness some have displayed has damaged my opinion of them. Luckily I understand that having an opinion of "americans" is as useful as giving the opinion of "brits". As for the French, Arabs etc, they also seem to be individuals and can't be judged as a group, although I did read that the French don't use much soap... :p

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:56 am

old music hall bit:

"Don't you know the King's English?"

"Why, right you are! And so's the Queen."
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:32 am

Eofaerwic wrote:Not necessarily - if the government didn't have an absolute majority she may turn to the opposition and ask them to form a government (possibly from a coalition).

More importantly in terms of powers, she can refuse to dismiss the government (technically whenever the government wants to call a general election the Queen has to dismiss them, they can't just resign), which has occasionally happened in times of crisis (such as around the World Wars).

That's true if those had the seats, they still have to elect a leader and present their choice to the Queen, or she could name someone as caretaker PM (which will be the leader of the biggest opposition party) but then that means an election will have to come along soon.

And yes she can refuse to sign the writs allowing the government to disband.

DBC26-Winner

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General