NATION

PASSWORD

USA & The Metric System

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you be in favor of the metrication in the USA ???

Yes
66%
No
26%
Other
8%

Total votes : 142

Aelosia
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: USA & The Metric System

Postby Aelosia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:46 pm

The_pantless_hero wrote:
Aelosia wrote:The fact that you haven't changed is why I have a slight bias against America.

Oh no, they use a different style of measurement! Let's slight them!

More like

Let's have some bias against the people that thinks so high of themselves that they won't even change their measuring system to the one of the rest of the world, even after their own scientists start to use it because of their superior practicity and usefulness.

Now gimme my torch and my pitchfork, but properly, dammit.
My ratings in the top 100:
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Largest Defense Forces
Aelosia is ranked 13th in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced
Aelosia is ranked 20th in the world for Most Cultured
Aelosia is ranked 24th in the world for Most Subsidized Industry
Aelosia is ranked 25th in the world for Fastest-Growing Economies
Aelosia is ranked 38th in the world for Largest Public Transport Department
Aelosia is ranked 42th in the world for Largest Publishing Industry
Aelosia is ranked 51th in the world for Largest Information Technology Sector
Aelosia is ranked 61th in the world for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector

Factbook so far.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:49 pm

Aelosia wrote:
The_pantless_hero wrote:
Aelosia wrote:The fact that you haven't changed is why I have a slight bias against America.

Oh no, they use a different style of measurement! Let's slight them!

More like

Let's have some bias against the people that thinks so high of themselves that they won't even change their measuring system to the one of the rest of the world, even after their own scientists start to use it because of their superior practicity and usefulness.

Now gimme my torch and my pitchfork, but properly, dammit.

Converting would cost a lot of money and confuse a lot of people. The benefits are bit worth the hassle imo.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Fassitude
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fassitude » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:50 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Oh, you're one of those people that actually bothered to learn how to cook?

I am a gay European. Cooking is not something I needed to learn, just something in me I needed to harness and channel into proper venues.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:52 pm

american culture has an emotional attachment to being illogical.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Aelosia
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelosia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:52 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Converting would cost a lot of money and confuse a lot of people. The benefits are bit worth the hassle imo.

All social evolution means that converting will cost money and a little bit of confusion. That the point is so minimal means that the USA is uncommitted to any international effort of consolidation or standarization.
My ratings in the top 100:
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Largest Defense Forces
Aelosia is ranked 13th in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced
Aelosia is ranked 20th in the world for Most Cultured
Aelosia is ranked 24th in the world for Most Subsidized Industry
Aelosia is ranked 25th in the world for Fastest-Growing Economies
Aelosia is ranked 38th in the world for Largest Public Transport Department
Aelosia is ranked 42th in the world for Largest Publishing Industry
Aelosia is ranked 51th in the world for Largest Information Technology Sector
Aelosia is ranked 61th in the world for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector

Factbook so far.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Cameroi wrote:american culture has an emotional attachment to being illogical.

What is illogical about American culture?
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Fassitude
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fassitude » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:55 pm

Sibirsky wrote:Converting would cost a lot of money and confuse a lot of people. The benefits are bit worth the hassle imo.

It's interesting that the USA still in the 21st century cannot do something most of us accomplished in the 19th.

Discount Liquor World
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Discount Liquor World » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:55 pm

America just doesn't need your decimals, Europe. We don't like'm, we don't want'em. We don't want that Kool-Aid you folks are drinking.

Besides, they tried to phase out the speed limit signs from Imperial to Metric and most of the American population was CERTAIN it was a prelude to the Commies invading. Those decimal-counting, beet gnawing Ivans were not gonna get a drop on America that easily.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Fassitude wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Converting would cost a lot of money and confuse a lot of people. The benefits are bit worth the hassle imo.

It's interesting that the USA still in the 21st century cannot do something most of us accomplished in the 19th.

Who said we can't? We can! We just don't see the point in doing it.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Fassitude
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fassitude » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:00 pm

Sibirsky wrote:Who said we can't?

Your failure spoke for itself.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Fassitude wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Who said we can't?

Your failure spoke for itself.

Fine. I am willing to fail at a conversion to another system of measurement. I am more concerned about success in other areas. Success we have largely achieved.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Fotonia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Fotonia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Personally, I like metric, because of the easy math. Besides that, I really don't see what the issue is. A shot glass, a beer bottle, and a deck of cards -- they are the same in metric and English.
Here's what I was talking about. http://www.flickr.com/photos/darinheinz

"As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

Fassitude
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fassitude » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:09 pm

Sibirsky wrote:Fine. I am willing to fail at a conversion to another system of measurement. I am more concerned about success in other areas. Success we have largely achieved.

But which still generally fails in comparison to the successes of others. That's basically the story of the USA - "we're number one!", but only if one sets ones bars really low and only compares to, say, Burkina Faso.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Fotonia wrote:Personally, I like metric, because of the easy math. Besides that, I really don't see what the issue is. A shot glass, a beer bottle, and a deck of cards -- they are the same in metric and English.

How much math do you do though? Wake up and find out it will be 70 (or 21). Go to work and drive 60 (or 97). And yes go to a bar and have one bourbon, one scotch and one beer.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:14 pm

Fassitude wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Fine. I am willing to fail at a conversion to another system of measurement. I am more concerned about success in other areas. Success we have largely achieved.

But which still generally fails in comparison to the successes of others. That's basically the story of the USA - "we're number one!", but only if one sets ones bars really low and only compares to, say, Burkina Faso.

Whatever. Out standard of living is only surpassed by much smaller nations. Anybody close to the size of the US lives like.. Burkina Faso. We have great economic freedoms. Good political freedoms and civil rights. That, and not some system of measurement (or lack thereof) makes this a great country.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Fassitude
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fassitude » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:21 pm

Sibirsky wrote:Whatever. Out standard of living is only surpassed by much smaller nations. Anybody close to the size of the US lives like.. Burkina Faso. We have great economic freedoms. Good political freedoms and civil rights. That, and not some system of measurement (or lack thereof) makes this a great country.

Yet, for most posters here who are not from the USA, to live in the USA would be equal to slumming it. So toot your horn... because you need the compensation.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:24 pm

Fassitude wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Whatever. Out standard of living is only surpassed by much smaller nations. Anybody close to the size of the US lives like.. Burkina Faso. We have great economic freedoms. Good political freedoms and civil rights. That, and not some system of measurement (or lack thereof) makes this a great country.

Yet, for most posters here who are not from the USA, to live in the USA would be equal to slumming it. So toot your horn... because you need the compensation.

Slumming it? You're talking out of your ass and you know it. I have been all over the world and I know what slumming it is, and I know how Europe is (various parts) and I know how the US is (again various parts). You said you're from Europe? So you have lower incomes, higher taxes and a higher cost of living. Enjoy!
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Frangland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Frangland » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
BrightonBurg wrote:I voted No.

I like things as they are..

Resistance if futile. You will be assimilated.

Like hell we will... we do that which we desire.

A meter is a yard plus about, oh, six or seven inches.

There are about 2.5 CM per inch.

A kilometer is about five-eighths of a mile.

A liter is slightly larger than a quart.

Meh... I appreciate the Latin-bred measurement prefixes but the fact is that the English/Imperial system is woven into the fabric of our country.

I use both, so it isn't as if I bear malice toward the metric system... but to insist that we get rid of our current ways is, um, offensive.

To each his own.

Braaainsss
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Braaainsss » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:25 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Fassitude wrote:

Slumming it? You're talking out of your ass and you know it. I have been all over the world and I know what slumming it is, and I know how Europe is (various parts) and I know how the US is (again various parts). You said you're from Europe? So you have lower incomes, higher taxes and a higher cost of living. Enjoy!

You kind of set yourself up for this inane argument by responding to a criticism of our measurement system with a reflexive defense of America's status as a great nation.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Braaainsss wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Fassitude wrote:Yet, for most posters here who are not from the USA, to live in the USA would be equal to slumming it. So toot your horn... because you need the compensation.

You kind of set yourself up for this inane argument by responding to a criticism of our measurement system with a reflexive defense of America's status as a great nation.

Fassitude accused us of not being able to convert to the metric system. This latest exchange started from that. The hell we can't. We do not need or want to.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Fassitude
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fassitude » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Sibirsky wrote:You said you're from Europe? So you have lower incomes, higher taxes and a higher cost of living. Enjoy!

And yet I have a far higher quality of life, I am healthier, will live longer and stay healthier during those extra years, will see fewer of my children (should I choose to get them) die and be maimed, am much freer than I would be in the USA, run a much lower risk of being stricken with poverty, have a much higher level of social class motion and so on. You see, the USA really isn't that impressive. Sure you've money, but fritter away and waste it, leaving your social divides not divides, but chasms and so on. I know you're probably used to being able to impress a Mexican with the "greatness" of the USA. You'll see it's not so easy when you try to do so with someone who actually lives in a developed country.
Braaainsss wrote:You kind of set yourself up for this inane argument by responding to a criticism of our measurement system with a reflexive defense of America's status as a great nation.

Precisely.
Last edited by Fassitude on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Cameroi wrote:american culture has an emotional attachment to being illogical.

What is illogical about American culture?

what isn't?
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Braaainsss
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Braaainsss » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:40 pm

Sibirsky wrote:Fassitude accused us of not being able to convert to the metric system. This latest exchange started from that. The hell we can't. We do not need or want to.

I want to. It's just not worth beating back the hordes of people who would be outraged by it, just like they're outraged by bilingual signs and their kids being taught science in school. And that makes me sad for my country.

Fassitude
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fassitude » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Sibirsky wrote:Fassitude accused us of not being able to convert to the metric system.

There is no such thing as the "metric system". It is called "SI". And that's where past, and thus far continued, failure leaves you.
Last edited by Fassitude on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Fassitude wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:You said you're from Europe? So you have lower incomes, higher taxes and a higher cost of living. Enjoy!

And yet I have a far higher quality of life, I am healthier, will live longer and stay healthier during those extra years, will see fewer of my children (should I choose to get them) die and be maimed, am much freer than I would be in the USA, run a much lower risk of being stricken with poverty, have a much higher level of social class motion and so on. You see, the USA really isn't that impressive. Sure you've money, but fritter away and waste it, leaving your social divides not divides, but chasms and so on. I know you're probably used to being able to impress a Mexican with the "greatness" of the USA. You'll see it's not so easy when you try to do so with someone who actually lives in a developed country.
Braaainsss wrote:You kind of set yourself up for this inane argument by responding to a criticism of our measurement system with a reflexive defense of America's status as a great nation.

Precisely.

Yet a bunch of Europeans still move here.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General