NATION

PASSWORD

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe that the world will end in 2012?

Yes
9%
No
71%
I dont really care, we all die eventually
20%

Total votes : 254

Veilyonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: 2012

Postby Veilyonia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Solm wrote:Well one it was never by the Mayan Calendar, only by lunatics, and it's not just another End of the World it is the Mayan End of the World. And they have been right so far.

I think a group of people who killed others to satiate their gods' "hunger" can qualify as lunatics. They have been right about celestial alignments in the past, but where is the evidence to suggest something catastrophic will happen? I don't see how the Earth/sun aligning with the center of the Milky way will result in the end of the planet. Yes, there will be an alignment, but then what? The Mayans had to stop recording future dates at some point, and where better to end their calendar than on the day of such a rare celestial event?
Previously known as Veilyonia
Political Compass
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" -Gandhi

Brewdomia
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Solm wrote:
Sanctus-Terra wrote:The world won't end. We passed Y2K, we passed 6/6/06, this will just go another day in our lives.

Some people did die 6/6/06, a lot of people actually. They weren't there to see the rest of population survive the rest of the day....

people die everyday :palm: :palm: :palm:

Fotonia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Fotonia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:19 pm

Solm wrote:
Cheztope wrote:Well, this actually (a .0000000000000000001% chance) may happen. The mayan calender is even more accurate then our gregorian calendar. And some chinese calender that is highly accurate predicts the world will end as well. On the same day, the same hour, the same minute, same second...

Now how could this just be a coincidence?? Two Civilizations thousands of miles apart predicting the same exact thing on the same exact day!

Just like most things made in China, their calendar was a copy of the original.
Here's what I was talking about. http://www.flickr.com/photos/darinheinz

"As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance." - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

Psycho Baby
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Psycho Baby » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:20 pm

I'll be praying the night before just in case.

47-9 126-43
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby 47-9 126-43 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:23 pm

The Mayans didn't even believe that the Mayan Calendar ended on 2012.

*&^%ing ridiculous. :palm:

The Deus Corporation
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Deus Corporation » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Solm wrote:2012, the end of the world! MWHAHAHAHA

According to the Mayan Calendar the world is supposed to end December 12th, 2012. But there is debate, some say that just because the calendar is over might mean they just need to build a new one, nothing more, they just didn't want to write anymore. Others say it is over because it will be the end of the world.

Well if I were you, i'd pack up on bottles of water, food, and radios, plus a battery. And bunker down in your basement block the door. And wait it out =).

I'm pretty sure it's december 21st but either way chances are nothing's gonna happen

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Solm wrote:Now how could this just be a coincidence?? Two Civilizations thousands of miles apart predicting the same exact thing on the same exact day!

Maybe because both had advanced astronomy, and something of astrological, but not legitimate, consequence happens in 2012? Nope, we can't look for rational causes, we must automatically assume the supernatural. That's reason!
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Delator
Minister

Founded: Nov 29, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Delator » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:33 am

Solm wrote:According to the Mayan Calendar the world is supposed to end December 12th, 2012. But there is debate, some say that just because the calendar is over might mean they just need to build a new one, nothing more, they just didn't want to write anymore. Others say it is over because it will be the end of the world.

:palm:

The Mayan calendar supposes no such event, nor does it end.

If a person was to buy into crackpot end-of-the-world nonsense, you'd think they'd read up a bit on the calendar themselves, and thus discover what a load of bullshit such theories are, but no...they heard it somewhere, and can't be bothered to enlighten themselves. The world will end, and that's that...

:roll:

...just make sure you leave your doors unlocked when you head into your panic room. I could use a new laptop.
Those that seek to place heel upon the throat of Liberty will fall to the cry of Freedom!

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:40 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Will it be before or after the Olympic games of that year?

If before, my fellow Brits should cancel it as a giant waste of money. No wait, they should do that anyway :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't think the world will end, you see - I'm sane.
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count (+puppet)

Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy - Maggie T

Parthenon
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 am

Just finished watching all of the Season 7 episodes of Penn and Teller's Bullshit that are on OnDemand for Showtime and there just so happened to be an episode on this 2012 nonsene. In the words of Penn "Bullshit"
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:35 am

Solm wrote:Well if I were you, i'd pack up on bottles of water, food, and radios, plus a battery. And bunker down in your basement block the door. And wait it out =).

If I were you, I would shut the fuck up and get the fuck off the internet, get a bit of fresh air and a fucking brain. Moronic cunts like you make me wish the world was ending.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:47 am

No Names Left Damn It wrote:
Solm wrote:Well if I were you, i'd pack up on bottles of water, food, and radios, plus a battery. And bunker down in your basement block the door. And wait it out =).

If I were you, I would shut the fuck up and get the fuck off the internet, get a bit of fresh air and a fucking brain. Moronic cunts like you make me wish the world was ending.

Are you trying to get banned?
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count (+puppet)

Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy - Maggie T

Happyclownland2
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Happyclownland2 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:50 am

JuNii wrote:
Solm wrote:2012, the end of the world! MWHAHAHAHA

According to the Mayan Calendar the world is supposed to end December 12th, 2012. But there is debate, some say that just because the calendar is over might mean they just need to build a new one, nothing more, they just didn't want to write anymore. Others say it is over because it will be the end of the world.

Well if I were you, i'd pack up on bottles of water, food, and radios, plus a battery. And bunker down in your basement block the door. And wait it out =).

you do know that hiding in your basement doesn't work for floods... right?

Probably already mentioned but, not if you live 5677 feet above sea level and near the top of a hill. :lol2:

Longhaul
Secretary

Founded: May 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Longhaul » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:04 am

Bergnovinaia wrote:Oddly enough on 12/21/12 the earth and center of the milkyway will align. This happends something like every 24,000 years or so.

Harsh though it may be to nitpick such a seemingly innocuous slice of the paranoia around 2012, this is utterly meaningless. Think about it... you're talking about two points in space aligning. Two!

Take a blank piece of paper and draw two dots on it, in random places. Can you connect the two with a straight line? Does that mean that those two points are somehow mystically aligned? :o

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:08 am

Watch as 2012 is the most boring year ever. No major international conflicts or terrorist attacks. No natural disasters or climate crises. Just boring day-to-day stuff for the entire year.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Happyclownland2
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Happyclownland2 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:08 am

Longhaul wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:Oddly enough on 12/21/12 the earth and center of the milkyway will align. This happends something like every 24,000 years or so.

Harsh though it may be to nitpick such a seemingly innocuous slice of the paranoia around 2012, this is utterly meaningless. Think about it... you're talking about two points in space aligning. Two!

Take a blank piece of paper and draw two dots on it, in random places. Can you connect the two with a straight line? Does that mean that those two points are somehow mystically aligned? :o

Oh yeah, that just reminded me. There has to be at least 1 5 50 10,000 planets lined up with the center of the galaxy at any given time. Our tiny little speck of rock and water that has sub-advanced apes on it orbiting a medium sized star should matter when it said it would line on up that date. :eyebrow:
Well, im bound to be wrong and the Earth dies in 2012 anyway, and my last word will be :rofl: I was wrong!

New Roccoland
Attaché

Founded: Aug 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Roccoland » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 am

:unsure:

I wonder what good hiding in a bunker will do if the world is ending. :lol2:

Northern Franktopia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Franktopia » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:33 am

By "world ending," do you mean the end of human civilization, or a major setback akin to the Dark Ages? Or are you talking about the literal obliteration of the planet Earth? If the Earth is literally to be obliterated, what good will hiding and preparing do for you?

It's all bullshit. Every so often somebody decides they really really think it's really gonna happen this time, really. And it never does.

One day, of course, the world will probably get smashed by a large asteroid and if humans are still around at that point, then it'll be the end for us. Also, in some billions of years, as the sun runs out of fuel it'll eventually expand and absorb the Earth. I doubt humans will still be around for that.

If the world ending helps you get some of those things on your short list done early, then by all means, go on believing. Perhaps we should live like that every day, because death is always hovering over our left shoulder.

Iuxtim
Spokesperson

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Iuxtim » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:29 am

Solm wrote:December 12th, 2012.

Even though I don't believe the 2012 bullshit, if this is the right date I'm going to be pissed, one day after my birthday. :evil:

Inchland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 26, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Inchland » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:04 am

Meh, worlds not going to end then.....
CELESTIAL DIVINITIES and NIGHTKILL THE EMPEROR and DENECAEP and KALASION and WWII History Geeks Asked To Be Here, I Said Yes.

Recipient of the Hahklallian Smartness Award, awarded to me by Hahklallah

Nightkill The Emperor again..... Just because
Tsarsgrad was here.

Solm
Senator

Founded: Jul 23, 2008
Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:30 am

Iuxtim wrote:
Solm wrote:December 12th, 2012.

Even though I don't believe the 2012 bullshit, if this is the right date I'm going to be pissed, one day after my birthday. :evil:

No im sorry it is december 21st

Retired: ns .hellodot. solm @ gmail .dot. com

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:36 am

Actually, the world already ended in 1843. I'm surprised nobody has noticed yet.
Signatures are for losers.

Solm
Senator

Founded: Jul 23, 2008
Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:00 am

Saint Clair Island wrote:Actually, the world already ended in 1843. I'm surprised nobody has noticed yet.

lol

Retired: ns .hellodot. solm @ gmail .dot. com

Anarchic-Marxist
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Anarchic-Marxist » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:19 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:Actually, the world already ended in 1843. I'm surprised nobody has noticed yet.

:rofl:
1 <3 Happy Hardcore
http://www.happyhardcore.com/radio/player/radio_2.asp
Six little eggs on the run they fuck each other free goes boom dubi doom, wondering when to explode goes boom dubi doom.

Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music. - Marcus Brigstocke

http://nseconomy.thirdgeek.com/nseconomy.php?nation=Anarchic-Marxist
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82

The New WorId Order
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The New WorId Order » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:23 pm

The Mayan Calender JUST ended there. they never predicted the End of the world. they never said anything. they just ended their Calendar there. What, do you think they were going to put in EVERY day in time?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General