NATION

PASSWORD

things your history textbook got wrong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Polska rzczpolspolita
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Polska rzczpolspolita » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Parhe wrote:
Polska rzczpolspolita wrote:Huh. Really?
Not that I know of. Mostly the support for the American Revolution. I mostly attribute that to a tax rebellion.

To say the truth, I don't take history textbooks that seriously, many times, history seems very objective at times.

Yes. History is objective by your point of view. Thats life, I suppose.
The Republic of Both Nations

Niur
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Niur » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Novograd IV wrote:
Niur wrote:Which things?

He was referencing the post above him, I think.

Well then he'd be wrong. Blood ain't blue, it just looks that way. And you have taste buds everywhere on your tounge.
Last edited by Niur on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In cahuitontli ca otopan, yehuantzitzin yollochipahuac tonaz, yeceh yehuantzitzin tica imanimanmeh tlahueliloc telchihualozque. In cahuitontli ca teuctlatolli ic otopan, auh yehuan quitzacua, in neltiliztli, onyezque huetztoc!"

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Niur wrote:
Novograd IV wrote:
He was referencing the post above him, I think.

Well then he'd be wrong. Blood ain't blue, it just looks that way. And you have taste buds everywhere on your tounge.

Blue is a colour :eyebrow:

And we had a GCSE paper on the tongue thing, if we have 'areas' of taste, then we certainly aren't capable of telling where they are.
Novan Wiki (under [re]construction)

Economic Left/Right: -9.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.24

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/196124/

Niur
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Niur » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Novograd IV wrote:
Niur wrote:Well then he'd be wrong. Blood ain't blue, it just looks that way. And you have taste buds everywhere on your tounge.

And we had a GCSE paper on the tongue thing, if we have 'areas' of taste, then we certainly aren't capable of telling where they are.

No Blue is not a color. More so, by that I mean that if you were to take out the blood from a vein and put it immediatly in a vacuum, so that it never touched oxygen,m it wouldn't be this "blue" you speak of. It is dark red, with maybe a hint of violet. Veins appear blue because the subcutaneous fat absorbs low-frequency light, permitting only the highly energetic blue wavelengths to penetrate through to the dark vein and reflect off. And although certain areas of the tounge are slightly more sesitive to some tastes than others, all five tastes can be tasted anywhere on the top of the tounge.
"In cahuitontli ca otopan, yehuantzitzin yollochipahuac tonaz, yeceh yehuantzitzin tica imanimanmeh tlahueliloc telchihualozque. In cahuitontli ca teuctlatolli ic otopan, auh yehuan quitzacua, in neltiliztli, onyezque huetztoc!"

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Niur wrote:
Novograd IV wrote:

No Blue is not a color. More so, by that I mean that if you were to take out the blood from a vein and put it immediatly in a vacuum, so that it never touched oxygen,m it wouldn't be this "blue" you speak of. It is dark red, with maybe a hint of violet. Veins appear blue because the subcutaneous fat absorbs low-frequency light, permitting only the highly energetic blue wavelengths to penetrate through to the dark vein and reflect off. And although certain areas of the tounge are slightly more sesitive to some tastes than others, all five tastes can be tasted anywhere on the top of the tounge.

But it is.

Also, I never said anything other than the fact that blue is a colour
Novan Wiki (under [re]construction)

Economic Left/Right: -9.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.24

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/196124/

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:01 pm

The pullout method works.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Maps. History textbooks never get maps right.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Novikov
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Novikov » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Angleter wrote:Maps. History textbooks never get maps right.

This is very true.
NSWiki (needs editing), Embassy Exchange, You know you are...
A member of the United Kingdom of Oceania and Nova
Host of the First International Chess Tournament.
Economic: 8.25 Left
Social: 3.03 Libertarian
CoP I (3rd), CoH XLIII (3rd) & XLVI (2nd), WCQ LI-LV

Gardez-vous d’écouter cet imposteur; vous ětes perdus, si vous oubliez que les fruits sont à tous, et que la terre n’est à personne.

Niur
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Niur » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Novograd IV wrote:
Niur wrote:No Blue is not a color. More so, by that I mean that if you were to take out the blood from a vein and put it immediatly in a vacuum, so that it never touched oxygen,m it wouldn't be this "blue" you speak of. It is dark red, with maybe a hint of violet. Veins appear blue because the subcutaneous fat absorbs low-frequency light, permitting only the highly energetic blue wavelengths to penetrate through to the dark vein and reflect off. And although certain areas of the tounge are slightly more sesitive to some tastes than others, all five tastes can be tasted anywhere on the top of the tounge.

But it is.

Also, I never said anything other than the fact that blue is a colour

No. That's wrong. Blue is not a color. Saying such is heretical. No.. Thats not right?............

*URGENT ANNOUNCEMENT*

At 1:15 today, Niur's Train of Thought crashed, resulting in 23 deaths, and 187 injuries. Among the dead include Niur's Point, and Niur's Coherency. Among the injured is the ever elusive Niur's Sanity.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:49 pm

The nucleus is the brain of the cell.
Through Primary and Secondary we were told this.
As soon as we got to A-level we got shouted at for even mentioning this. :p
Last edited by EvilDarkMagicians on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:The pullout method works.

:palm:

Was it per chance the Catholic Guide to holy coitus?

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:16 pm

I remember my last history textbook waxed eloquent about how the US Army was completely raped by the Viet Cong.

I have no idea where the author got that impression.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Unicario wrote:My first history book, from the early 2000's, from Japan, says that nothing happened in Nanking in 1937.

Oh, Nanking was just asking for it in that tight little skirt.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Anything to do with the Partition of India.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Munathanura
Senator

Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Munathanura » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Zepplien wrote:
Munathanura wrote:1) That the Japanese were going to invade Australia
2) That all Australians deliberately set out to massacre the Aboriginal people without exception and that the missions never helped the Aboriginals in any way, shape or form. Ever.
3) That the only noteworthy explorers were those who died from sheer stupidity or who disappeared mysteriously. Those who never loose a man despite exploring first extremely arid terrain and then braving the crocodiles of the Northern Territory and who manage to do all this despite travelling cumulative total of 11 995 km by land should no be mentioned at all.

The IJA did have plans for invasion as Austrailia was a huge thorn in the side of the empire. They did take over New Guinea capturing 15,000 Austrailion troops and if they had not engaged the United States an invasion would have commenced.

Nope, they examined the possibility and then decided that it would take too many men and resources to invaded and hold Australia, men who were needed either in the Pacific or who were needed in China. New Guinea, which is actually where Australia halted the Japanese army for the first time and then proceeded to beat them, was part of an attempt to isolate Australia from America. To quote Tojo:

We never had enough troops to do so [invade Australia]. We had already far out-stretched our lines of communication. We did not have the armed strength or the supply facilities to mount such a terrific extension of our already over-strained and too thinly spread forces. We expected to occupy all New Guinea, to maintain Rabaul as a holding base, and to raid Northern Australia by air. But actual physical invasion — no, at no time.

(Source, page 19)

Furthermore, conflict with the USA was always going to be on the cards. America had wanted to clip Japan's wings for some time, and their cutting of oil exports to Japan was the first step in doing so. Without the American oil, Japan was forced to invaded the Dutch East Indies in order for its military to survive, and they had to invaded American and British territories to do so. America might have been a bit slower going to the war than IRL if Pearl Harbour hadn't happened, but they still would have gone.
Wamitoria wrote:
Caninope wrote:OMG, FBI does it's jobs and uses search warrants to recover stolen property. The world is ending.

Welcome to America, where the authorities can be doing too much and too little at the same god damn time.
Tahar Joblis wrote:Your "heartfelt recommendation," i.e., baseless accusation of misogyny, is noted with all the respect that is due. Which corresponds to that due a $100 billion Zimbabwean banknote. :eyebrow:
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56

Marcheria
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcheria » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Coccygia wrote:
Unicario wrote:My first history book, from the early 2000's, from Japan, says that nothing happened in Nanking in 1937.

Oh, Nanking was just asking for it in that tight little skirt.

:rofl: They were......better not let my Chinese GF see this...
I'm BACK after a long absence! New sig to come.

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Apparently, Canada has never done anything important ever. Holding off invasions by Americans during the American Revolution and War of 1812? Boer War? Vimy Ridge and the Hundred Days? Being on every single fucking front save one in World War II (even North Africa: Operation Reservist, part of Operation Torch, was led by a Canadian, who won a Victoria Cross for it)? Korean War? UN Peacekeeping? What are those?

Yeah, fuck my textbooks. And people wonder why I prefer to read history books I've bought instead of the school textbooks, or do the shitty schoolwork...
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Munathanura
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Munathanura » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:Apparently, Canada has never done anything important ever. Holding off invasions by Americans during the American Revolution and War of 1812? Boer War? Vimy Ridge and the Hundred Days? Being on every single fucking front save one in World War II (even North Africa: Operation Reservist, part of Operation Torch, was led by a Canadian, who won a Victoria Cross for it)? Korean War? UN Peacekeeping? What are those?

Yeah, fuck my textbooks. And people wonder why I prefer to read history books I've bought instead of the school textbooks, or do the shitty schoolwork...

Seriously? Wow, that sucks. At least Australian textbooks take some pride in our history, even if they do leave out interesting stuff like the Rum Rebellion.
Wamitoria wrote:
Caninope wrote:OMG, FBI does it's jobs and uses search warrants to recover stolen property. The world is ending.

Welcome to America, where the authorities can be doing too much and too little at the same god damn time.
Tahar Joblis wrote:Your "heartfelt recommendation," i.e., baseless accusation of misogyny, is noted with all the respect that is due. Which corresponds to that due a $100 billion Zimbabwean banknote. :eyebrow:
My Political Compass:

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Munathanura wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:Apparently, Canada has never done anything important ever. Holding off invasions by Americans during the American Revolution and War of 1812? Boer War? Vimy Ridge and the Hundred Days? Being on every single fucking front save one in World War II (even North Africa: Operation Reservist, part of Operation Torch, was led by a Canadian, who won a Victoria Cross for it)? Korean War? UN Peacekeeping? What are those?

Seriously? Wow, that sucks. At least Australian textbooks take some pride in our history, even if they do leave out interesting stuff like the Rum Rebellion.

For some reason, Canadian schools, or at least the Alberta Board of Education, hate our military and want us to look like a land of pacifists.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Munathanura
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Munathanura » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:
Munathanura wrote:Seriously? Wow, that sucks. At least Australian textbooks take some pride in our history, even if they do leave out interesting stuff like the Rum Rebellion.

For some reason, Canadian schools, or at least the Alberta Board of Education, hate our military and want us to look like a land of pacifists.

Argh, I hate it when people do that. It's as though they don't want to admit just how much war has shaped and altered culture.

*shakes head*
Wamitoria wrote:

My Political Compass:

Seleucas
Minister

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seleucas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:25 pm

Thermopylae was a huge defeat for Sparta, demonstrating how worthless their army was, and Athens was attacked unprovoked in the Peloponnesian War because all the other Greek city-states were "jealous" of how great the peace-loving Athenians were.

lol
Last edited by Seleucas on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like an unscrupulous boyfriend, Obama lies about pulling out after fucking you.
-Tokyoni

The State never intentionally confronts a man's sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced.
- Henry David Thoreau

Oh please. Those people should grow up. The South will NOT rise again.

The Union will instead, fall.
-Distruzio

Dealing with a banking crisis was difficult enough, but at least there were public-sector balance sheets on to which the problems could be moved. Once you move into sovereign debt, there is no answer; there’s no backstop.
-Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England

Right: 10.00
Libertarian: 9.9
Non-interventionist: 10
Cultural Liberal: 6.83

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:37 pm

any history book that paints an image that somehow, ancient Hawaiians actually lived a life that made people WANT to live that way.

all these seperationists that spout "We want to live how our ancistors did." makes me think "Do you KNOW how they lived back then?"
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:12 am

That the SS stood for "Storm Troopers".

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:52 am

That George Washington was a great general.

That the USS Maine was sunk by Spain.

That Lincoln freed the slaves.

That the political results of the Great War was a step forward for civilization.

That speculators caused the Great Depression.

That WW2 ended the Great Depression.

That the Japanese attacked unprovoked.

That Korea was a victory.

That Bretton-Woods was a success.

That child labor laws ended child labor.

That Unions ensured a more humane workplace environment.

That the Robber Barons fleeced the public.

That Standard Oil was essentially evil.

That white people were racists.

That europeans were to blame for all the evil of the world.

That africans are helpless.

That communists are misunderstood.

That the Japanese would be lost without America.

That Southrons want slavery back.

That Jesus was a christian.
Last edited by Distruzio on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:06 am

That those damn Americans won the war of 1812.

Lies and slander.

That WW2 ended the Great Depression.

to be fair, it helped.

That Korea was a victory.

depends on what you were aiming for.

That Unions ensured a more humane workplace environment.

some did, I think, at one point.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General