NATION

PASSWORD

things your history textbook got wrong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:09 am

Distruzio wrote:
That Jesus was a christian.

This one bugs me badly.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:23 am

Ifreann wrote:
Galloism wrote:Imhotep's not the ruler anymore, btw.

Not as far as the public is aware.
That brief stint in 1923 sure left an impression. *nods*

Polska rzczpolspolita
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Polska rzczpolspolita » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Marcurix wrote:That those damn Americans won the war of 1812.

Lies and slander.

Yeah, 1812 was a major loss.
The Republic of Both Nations

Central Lothian
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Central Lothian » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:58 pm

In 2007, my teacher said there was still a country called Yugoslavia*, that Macedonia was part of it** and that Kosovo was independent.

* - The government renamed it Serbia and Montenegro in 2003, then Montenegro voted for independence in 2006.
** - Some bodies - like the IOC, FIFA and UN - call it "the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia".
Please note: Central Lothian is the direct successor to Mid Lothian*. As a result, I am still called Rebecca, I am still a Grammar Nazi and most information pertaining to ML also applies to CL (although I will be taking this time to change a few things).

* - And I may refer to the country as Mid Lothian. If I do, assume that I mean Central Lothian. (And not to be confused with "Midlothian" - I'm using that as a fascist version of CL.)

Zersium wrote:I actually meant England. Scotland uses the pound?

Milograd wrote:
Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:We are a MEGA POWER-A combination between Hyperpower and Smart Power

Obviously. If there is one word that describes Kalasparata, it is obviously "smart."

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:44 pm

That WW I was "the War nobody wanted". Having recently read Barbara Tuchman's The Guns of August, I feel confident in saying that was BS. Germany wanted that war and had been planning it for 30 years, and was just waiting for van excuse when Gavrilo Princip gave them one.

That (as others have mentioned) the US won the War of 1812, which was at best a draw.

I also found it amusing that a passage in my history book about Rabelais totally avoided mentioning how smutty (and funny) his stuff was - especially since we were reading him in French class (in a heavily expurgated Petite Larousse edition - but I got the real deal from the library.)
Last edited by Coccygia on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:52 pm

Distruzio wrote:That the political results of the Great War was a step forward for civilization.

Wait, so wresting more control away from autocratic dictators and trying to have more freedom from an Empire that didn't give a shit about you wasn't a step forward?

Distruzio wrote:That speculators caused the Great Depression.

It was them being complete morons about the stock exchange and how it works that was a major cause.

Distruzio wrote:That the Japanese attacked unprovoked.

Trade embargoes are provocation for war, now?

EDIT: Oh, here's a HUGE one...

That the American Revolution was done for liberal reasons and to throw off oppressive taxation from Britain.
Last edited by Hardened Pyrokinetics on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Munathanura
Senator

Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Munathanura » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

Not normally, but in this situation they were. See, Japan relied on America for oil and, without it, they virtually had none. With no one willing to sell them any, they had to either abandon their military aspirations, invent and mass produce some sort of biofuel within a year or attack the Dutch East Indies, having to invade American and British colonies to do so.

And, of course, while the Americans weren't exactly hoping for a war, they were hoping that Japan would either give up and die or give the Americans an excuse to clobber them.
Wamitoria wrote:
Caninope wrote:OMG, FBI does it's jobs and uses search warrants to recover stolen property. The world is ending.

Welcome to America, where the authorities can be doing too much and too little at the same god damn time.
Tahar Joblis wrote:Your "heartfelt recommendation," i.e., baseless accusation of misogyny, is noted with all the respect that is due. Which corresponds to that due a $100 billion Zimbabwean banknote. :eyebrow:
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56

Seperate Vermont
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperate Vermont » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Causes of Hiroshima, and virtually everything about the Cold War.
No, we are not obsessed with Maple Syrup. Speaking of that, Would you like some 100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup? We have a surplus this year.
http://www.mechiwiki.com/nationstates/index.php?nation=Seperate_Vermont
GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Wilgrove wrote:History textbooks in American schools tend to be propagandized.

Fixed.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Trubchevsk
Civilian

Founded: Apr 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Trubchevsk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Arkinesia wrote:I remember my last history textbook waxed eloquent about how the US Army was completely raped by the Viet Cong.

I have no idea where the author got that impression.

In what manner did the text "wax eloquent" about US involvement in Southeast Asia? The United States was absolutely mangled by the conflict in Vietnam - socially, politically, economically, and certainly militarily.

As a student of history, I have to say that pre-collegiate history textbooks were quite universally obscene. The process of socialization is utterly suffocating students these days, textbooks become ever more inane and polarizing, overwhelmed with over-simplification. University textbooks are really rather the same, certainly in the social sciences. Of course, if one is studying with the textbook alone, then they ought to expect a terrible education.

What did I learn about Vietnam, in the classroom, until some time in college? That the United States was desperately supporting the will of the people of the Republic of South Vietnam [well, those who recognized its existence] so that they could be free and safe from the scourge of communism that was trying to kill them all. The Vietnamese were cartoonish monsters who did nothing but torture prisoners of war, silly little boys in black pajamas that were capable of nothing but dirty gorilla [sic] warfare - and so on.

No mention of French, British, Japanese, or Chinese colonial actors , entire wars preceding the United States [in number, at least] being fought to ensure the same outcome for a myriad reasons: the social, political and economic oppression of the Vietnamese people, the refusal to allow them the same right and chance of self-determination that the United States used to justify the continued bedlam despotism of Diem and his successors.

Perhaps the author came to the conclusion that the United States was incapable - for so many different reasons - of maintaining a shamelessly artificial and despotic "democratic" South Vietnam.

You should read The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam. A terrifying examination of the abyss that is hubris.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:Wait, so wresting more control away from autocratic dictators and trying to have more freedom from an Empire that didn't give a shit about you wasn't a step forward?

Correct. Democracy is a step towards decivilization. The democratists didn't organize against the monopoly of coercion that the monarchs had, they organized against the monarchs and left the monopoly of coercion. I agree that it's tragic that those in power tend not to give a shit about the common man. But democratists merely institutionalized their own variation of power when they left the monopoly in place. At least the monarchs had a hell of a time getting things done that violated the rights of the subjects.

But this isn't a thread for this discussion, in depth. Suffice it to say, I'm an Anarcho-Monarchist. That doesn't mean that I look fondly for a reinstatement of monarchy. It means I favor monarchy when compared to democracy.

Distruzio wrote:That speculators caused the Great Depression.

It was them being complete morons about the stock exchange and how it works that was a major cause.

I rather doubt that the man whose profession is to play the stock exchange fails to understand how the stock exchange works. I further doubt that the man who was less effective a speculator than his neighbor had any significant effect on anything other than his own purse, let alone a systemic economic collapse that lasted from 1929 to 1945.

Distruzio wrote:That the Japanese attacked unprovoked.

When your citizens suffer and starve... yes. Trade embargoes, sanctions, and blockades are acts of war.

EDIT: Oh, here's a HUGE one...

That the American Revolution was done for liberal reasons and to throw off oppressive taxation from Britain.

We agree! :hug: That was a silly thing our history books got wrong.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:16 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_18755_5- ... class.html

I think Cracked really does it best. Especially Paul Revere, considering the recent Palin episode, heh heh.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:16 pm

Lies and slander.

Andrew Jackson begs to differ, *nods*

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:23 pm

That the American Revolution was legitimate and totally not done by despicable liars with an ulterior motive of power gain and secession.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

AlexJacobii
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AlexJacobii » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Arilando wrote:
AlexJacobii wrote:Anything about Columbus. Most of the sections about Scandinavia. The Crusades were only in the Middle East according to one textbook I had. That one was genius...

What was it wrong about about Scandinavia.

It said that Scandinavia never expanded and were just a bunch of brutal Vikings, when actually it did expand a ton and the Vikings really were not that brutal compared to places like Rome. The Vikings invented modern law, yet strangely the book said they had no law. Finland was not in WWII apparently, the list goes on. Really messed up book.

New Embossia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Embossia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:24 pm

H-Alba wrote:My history text book referred to Russia as a Communist state... And it was not referring to the Russian SFSR, nor the Soviet Union... It was a chapter on The Russian Federation today.

Because it is.

OT:
They (History Textbook) claimed that the French had some to little Military Victories. Hah!
Map of the United Republic

DEFCON: 5

Please refer to as The United Republic or New Embossia or the Kingdom of Yagrun.

**New Embossia**

I RP as The United Republic of New Embossia and the Kingdom of Yagrun

I'm a devout Catholic and I support LGBT rights
Hornesia wrote:Homosexuality may be a sin, but Jesus died for your sins. Therefore, feel free to gay it up.

New Embossia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Embossia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:28 pm

Polska rzczpolspolita wrote:

Lies and slander.

The US won. We have never lost a war to an organized army that belongs to a sovereign government (That means it excludes Vietnam, which again we won).
British haters on NS make me LAUGH.
My laughing face: :meh:

Please refer to as The United Republic or New Embossia or the Kingdom of Yagrun.

**New Embossia**

Hornesia wrote:Homosexuality may be a sin, but Jesus died for your sins. Therefore, feel free to gay it up.

AlexJacobii
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AlexJacobii » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:29 pm

New Embossia wrote:
Polska rzczpolspolita wrote:Yeah, 1812 was a major loss.

The US won. We have never lost a war to an organized army that belongs to a sovereign government (That means it excludes Vietnam, which again we won).

According to most historians it was a draw. We burned down the White House, you kicked our ass at sea. We could have held Washington but we could not reinforce it. Stalemate at best.

New Embossia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Embossia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:30 pm

Polska rzczpolspolita wrote:

Lies and slander.

**New Embossia**

Seleucas
Minister

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seleucas » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:08 am

Distruzio wrote:That Bretton-Woods was a success.

I agree with everything you said but this. While still a statist system, Bretton-Woods did at least provide some restraint on US inflation, and the period in which it reigned had impressive growth.
Like an unscrupulous boyfriend, Obama lies about pulling out after fucking you.
-Tokyoni

The State never intentionally confronts a man's sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced.
- Henry David Thoreau

Oh please. Those people should grow up. The South will NOT rise again.

The Union will instead, fall.
-Distruzio

Dealing with a banking crisis was difficult enough, but at least there were public-sector balance sheets on to which the problems could be moved. Once you move into sovereign debt, there is no answer; there’s no backstop.
-Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England

Right: 10.00
Libertarian: 9.9
Non-interventionist: 10
Cultural Liberal: 6.83

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:11 am

Seleucas wrote:
Distruzio wrote:That Bretton-Woods was a success.

I agree with everything you said but this. While still a statist system, Bretton-Woods did at least provide some restraint on US inflation, and the period in which it reigned had impressive growth.

True enough! But it was artificial growth based on inflation dependent upon a gold-backed dollar. While the US was relatively restrained in inflation, the rest of the world went (with exception of the British) nucking futs. And the result was the wonderful 70s. Yes the growth was impressive... as was the crash at the end.

I'm not correcting you in the slightest, in fact I agree with your critique of me. I'm merely clarifying that for me, success means that there was no collapse of the system followed by a collapse of economies. I should have made that more clear in my OP but... meh. I didn't and you caught me.
Last edited by Distruzio on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

The Byzantion Empire
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Byzantion Empire » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:59 am

All of these points are very interesting. One prevorbial (I hope I spelled that correctly) hat I would like to throw in is that the famous Maine being blown up by the Spainish. It was a boiler accident. As an American, I would like to say, "Whoops."

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:35 am

If historians aren't producing propaganda, especially in low level text books. they are not fulfilling their ideological role.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:34 am

A pretty much global- quite literally so - example is probable the American revolution.

What we learned?

• America fought England and won its freedom.

What actually happened?

• America fought England and won its freedom.
  • Spain fought England and won Florida and part of the Baleares
  • France fought England and won small parts of Africa and the Caribbean
  • The Dutch fought England and didn't win anything worthy of note

It's a little sad that a war involving a pretty damn major international coalition of medium- to large European powers and some colonial rebels kicking the British Empire around like a red-headed stepchild and making off with the spoils is commonly reduced to 'America won its freedom'.

Laerod
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 17, 2004
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Laerod » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:39 am

New Embossia wrote:
Polska rzczpolspolita wrote:Yeah, 1812 was a major loss.

Incorrect on both counts. 1812 was by any reasonable measure a tie. Virtually none of the original objectives were achieved (and those that were weren't met because of the war). Vietnam was clearly an American loss. There is no amount of redefining that will change the fact that the US wanted to prevent a communist unification of Vietnam and failed to do so.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General