NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion Debate- Fetuses, Periods, and Wanking

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your opinion on abortion?

Pro-Life
21%
Pro-Choice, logically restricted time- and term-wise
35%
Pro-Choice but very restricted as far as reasons for abortion
8%
Unrestricted Pro-Choice, and I'm dead serious about it
31%
Pro-Choice because I think abortion access will make women more sexually available, and for that reason ONLY. Also, I support rape (joke option from the rape thread)
3%
I think you should be able to stab your newborn (JOKE OPTION PLEASE)
2%

Total votes : 150

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Wikipedia and Universe wrote:Bias? All I know is that from my experience there are a number of "shades" of pro-choice, while being pro-life is fairly straightforward. Pro-life with exceptions is basically option 3. It's ambiguous so I couldn't decide.

What other options do you want?

I'm just saying, I'm Pro-life for different reasons than the Republicants on TV. They're Pro life for religious reasons. I'm Pro life because the fetus does have a right to live, and while the woman does have the right to do whatever she wants with her body, the fetus's right to live supercedes her right. Simply marking Pro life doesn't make that distinction.

Nope. Women's rights trump a fetus' "rights"

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Wikipedia and Universe wrote:Bias? All I know is that from my experience there are a number of "shades" of pro-choice, while being pro-life is fairly straightforward. Pro-life with exceptions is basically option 3. It's ambiguous so I couldn't decide.

What other options do you want?

I'm just saying, I'm Pro-life for different reasons than the Republicants on TV. They're Pro life for religious reasons. I'm Pro life because the fetus does have a right to live, and while the woman does have the right to do whatever she wants with her body, the fetus's right to live supercedes her right. Simply marking Pro life doesn't make that distinction.

Does the reason you support that stance affect what you might consider an acceptable reason for abortion, or if you believe there is such a thing? If it does not the distinction is irrelevant to the poll.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:
Rhodmhire wrote:

So, basically, abortion. Lots of roots, lots of paths, kind of like the way to truth. Only a lot bloodier and usually only for women (usually, I don't want to say always and be proven wrong with some obscure incident in the East or something of that nature).
As I stated before I created this thread for one reason- to stop a threadjack in another thread, not because I like prolonged abortion debates. What people do with this thread is their business henceforth. ;)

EDIT: Ninja, you saw my clarification.

[/Desynchronized]

Wikkiwallana wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:I find it a bit disturbing women use abortion as their main sources of birth control, but you can't restrict abortion for the life-styles of a few.

Time-wise, I'm pro-choice.

Source on women doing this?

While I can see how the idea is a tad bit disturbing, I might not be so surprised to find out that there are more unwanted pregnancies prevented via abortions than birth control pills and other means.

A chart comparing the two? Unknown to me, if it even exists, if it is even possible to make. Would it be a huge surprise? Honestly, not really. Although, abortion rates have been supposedly dropping in recent years, so that might impact my thoughts on it.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Norstal wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm both Pro-Life and Pro-Choice. I am Pro-life in the sense that I would never have an abortion. I am Pro-Choice in the sense that it's my choice to make. Well, me and basic human anatomy. :p

What if it's a taco you made and it was imperfect? Wouldn't you abort it?!

That would depend how imperfect. If we're talking too much salsa, I'll probably eat it anyway. If we're talking no cheese, I'd add cheese. If we're talking taco meat moving under it's own power, I'd probably put it in a jar and study it.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Founded: Jul 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Grenartia wrote:I find it stupid that there are 20,000 different options for Pro-choice, but only one for Pro-life. OP, please change this bias immediately. :evil:

The Norwegian Blue wrote:
It's so nice when the "pro-life" crowd comes right out and says "I have absolutely no idea what pregnancy entails!" It saves the rest of us the bother of taking your arguments seriously.

:palm: WTF are you talking about? Explain.

You quite voluntarily said that you see no difference between pregnancy and a situation in which your health is not in any way endangered, you are not being forced to have anything attached to your body against your will, your body is undergoing absolutely no changes, let alone permanent ones, and you are experiencing no physical pain. That would seem to make it pretty darn clear that you know fuck-all about pregnancy.
Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things. - Reichskommissariat ost
...if you poop just to poop, then it is immoral. - Bandarikin
And if abortion was illegal, there wouldn't be male doctors - Green Port
Stop making a potato punch itself in the scrote after first manifesting a fist and a scrote. - RepentNowOrPayLater
And...you aren't aroused by the premise of a snot-hocking giraffe leaping through a third story bay window after a sex toy? What are you...I mean...are you some kind of weirdo or something? - Hammurab

Seltwar
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Seltwar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Unrestricted pro-choice.
Is an egg a chicken? No, its a egg.
Is a grain of sand a beach? No, it's just a grain.
Is a cell a tissue? No, its a cell not a tissue.
Is a foundation a building? No, its a foundation.
IE A fetus is not a person, its a fetus. IT has no heartbeat does not react to the outside environment it does not defend itself. Rocks share similar processes.
A fetus has more in common with a rock than a chicken. Sure they share the same elemental and chemical compounds, but thats it. An aluminum foil shares the same main material as a plane. Does that mean all aluminum foil's are planes? No.
Egg is not a chicken.
Fetus is not a person.

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:In what country do you live? My school year ended yesterday.

I'm straight out of the most wretched state in the United States. And don't listen to the other residents on here about how nice they think it is, Massachusetts is a horrible place.

But anyway, we got out on the same day as you, the 9th. Really early compared to some of the other local schools. Some are getting out around the 20th or even later.

We started around the 20-something of August in 2010, I left in June basically knowing that sophomore year was going to suck. Also felt like NS was losing its luster, thought I was losing my luster too. I needed meditation time.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Source on women doing this?

While I can see how the idea is a tad bit disturbing, I might not be so surprised to find out that there are more unwanted pregnancies prevented via abortions than birth control pills and other means.

A chart comparing the two? Unknown to me, if it even exists, if it is even possible to make. Would it be a huge surprise? Honestly, not really. Although, abortion rates have been supposedly dropping in recent years, so that might impact my thoughts on it.

I'm highly skeptical that anyone without Münchausen Syndrome or something similar would prefer a medical procedure to an over the counter pill, especially when said pill can reduce period symptoms.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
Wikipedia and Universe wrote:In what country do you live? My school year ended yesterday.

I'm straight out of the most wretched state in the United States. And don't listen to the other residents on here about how nice they think it is, Massachusetts is a horrible place.

But anyway, we got out on the same day as you, the 9th. Really early compared to some of the other local schools. Some are getting out around the 20th or even later.

We started around the 20-something of August in 2010, I left in June basically knowing that sophomore year was going to suck. Also felt like NS was losing its luster, thought I was losing my luster too. I needed meditation time.

A state that allows gay marriage can't be a horrible place.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Norstal wrote:What if it's a taco you made and it was imperfect? Wouldn't you abort it?!

That would depend how imperfect. If we're talking too much salsa, I'll probably eat it anyway. If we're talking no cheese, I'd add cheese. If we're talking taco meat moving under it's own power, I'd probably put it in a jar and study it.

What if the shell was on the inside, the meat was on the outside, the salsa was on the ceiling, and the cheese had somehow gotten air-mailed to Abu Dhabi?

Xenohumanity wrote:

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Seltwar wrote:Unrestricted pro-choice.
IE A fetus is not a person, its a fetus. IT has no heartbeat does not react to the outside environment it does not defend itself. Rocks share similar processes.
A fetus has more in common with a rock than a chicken. Sure they share the same elemental and chemical compounds, but thats it. An aluminum foil shares the same main material as a plane. Does that mean all aluminum foil's are planes? No.
Egg is not a chicken.
Fetus is not a person.

To be honest, the whole "mother's rights > fetus's rights" thing is the keystone of this whole debate. It almost really wouldn't matter if the fetus was a person, I think. If it is, then it's a person who is totally dependent upon the mother until it is born. It cannot survive on its own without her nourishment. It does not provide anything of benefit to her directly (biologically speaking) except that it carries on her genetic material and continues the survival of the species in general. I don't see why its "rights" would overrule the mother's if it was unwanted.

Sure, it's probably going to end up being the pride and joy of her life, no shit about that. But that's emotion, that's family, not science.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:59 pm

I'm Pro-Choice, so I can't give a damn either way.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Wiztopia wrote:A state that allows gay marriage can't be a horrible place.

Oh no, it's not teh gayz that make it bad, I love those guys. For a while, I thought they were making the place sparkle quite nicely.

But this isn't really the place for me to whine about how much I hate my home state. Some other time.

Wikkiwallana wrote:I'm highly skeptical that anyone without Münchausen Syndrome or something similar would prefer a medical procedure to an over the counter pill, especially when said pill can reduce period symptoms.

I'm not really trying to justify what he's saying, and I'm definitely not agreeing with it at all until I see some data. I'm just trying to see if I can't rationalize what he's saying.

Though, maybe it's just plain irrational and I'm wasting my time, I don't know.
Last edited by Rhodmhire on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:04 pm

I have mixed opinions about abortion. I don't morally agree with the act of abortion. I also don't morally agree with forcing someone to survive an unwanted pregnancy. I do not agree with 'murder' or torture. So I have to find a balance that manages to equal out the needs of both. After all, what is the point in forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy when she will be locked in a padded room because of her suicide attempts? But at the same time why abort something that would be born hours later?

In summary.
I'm Pro-choice until the point of viability (around 20 weeks).
The Proclaimed Psycho on NSG
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

I'm politically syncretic so stop asking. :)
My political and social missions

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
Wikipedia and Universe wrote:As I stated before I created this thread for one reason- to stop a threadjack in another thread, not because I like prolonged abortion debates. What people do with this thread is their business henceforth. ;)

EDIT: Ninja, you saw my clarification.

[/Desynchronized]

Wikkiwallana wrote:Source on women doing this?

It is quite obviously impossible to count the number of pregnancies prevented by hormonal contraception, condoms, etc., since you can't really count the number of pregnancies one didn't have. :P

That said, given that something like 40% of all women in the US are currently using hormonal contraception, and well over 10 BILLION condoms are used worldwide every year, it's more than a little silly to imagine that abortions are even remotely on the same scale of importance as a method of birth control.
Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things. - Reichskommissariat ost
Stop making a potato punch itself in the scrote after first manifesting a fist and a scrote. - RepentNowOrPayLater
And...you aren't aroused by the premise of a snot-hocking giraffe leaping through a third story bay window after a sex toy? What are you...I mean...are you some kind of weirdo or something? - Hammurab

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:08 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Rhodmhire wrote:

I'm highly skeptical that anyone without Münchausen Syndrome or something similar would prefer a medical procedure to an over the counter pill, especially when said pill can reduce period symptoms.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the only people who voluntarily opt for abortion as their primary method of birth control somehow manage to have severe latex allergies AND a horrible reaction to spermicides AND all the possible nasty side effects of every form of hormonal contraception. So, that might be, like, a whole four or five women. :p

Marcheria
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcheria » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:08 pm

Egg is not a chicken.
Fetus is not a person.

Now THIS is a concrete argument. Hm, it's times like these I wish Drac wasn't banned, just to see his reaction.
I'm BACK after a long absence! New sig to come.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
[/Desynchronized]

It is quite obviously impossible to count the number of pregnancies prevented by hormonal contraception, condoms, etc., since you can't really count the number of pregnancies one didn't have. :P

That said, given that something like 40% of all women in the US are currently using hormonal contraception, and well over 10 BILLION condoms are used worldwide every year, it's more than a little silly to imagine that abortions are even remotely on the same scale of importance as a method of birth control.

Is that 40% of all women actually all women, or is it limited to those likely to get pregnant: tweens to late middle age?

Xenohumanity wrote:

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Marcheria wrote:
Egg is not a chicken.
Fetus is not a person.

Now THIS is a concrete argument. Hm, it's times like these I wish Drac wasn't banned, just to see his reaction.

No, we really don't need him getting yet another thread derailed into a flamewar then locked.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Pro choice
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

What if the shell was on the inside, the meat was on the outside, the salsa was on the ceiling, and the cheese had somehow gotten air-mailed to Abu Dhabi?

Well, other than the need for some replacement cheese, it sounds like a very interesting taco. :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 pm

The Norwegian Blue wrote:It is quite obviously impossible to count the number of pregnancies prevented by hormonal contraception, condoms, etc., since you can't really count the number of pregnancies one didn't have. :P

Yeah, I'm basically done trying to defend him at this point. Not very good at doing that, especially when I don't really agree with him.

Guess I can cross lawyer off of my list of things I want to be when I'm a big boy.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 pm

The Norwegian Blue wrote:well over 10 BILLION condoms are used worldwide every year,

To be fair, I use like 30% of those.

It's only like 7 billion for the rest of the world excluding me.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:

Is that 40% of all women actually all women, or is it limited to those likely to get pregnant: tweens to late middle age?

Oops, sorry, I accidentally deleted the "of childbearing age" there. It's roughly 40% of all women aged 15 to 44.

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 pm

The Norwegian Blue wrote:*snip because I'm about to argue with two other people in this same post*
My thing is that if some crazy chick gets an elective late-term abortion then should she get off scott-free? It's a bit between a rock and a hard place with statutory law vs. case law. As for your argument, I don't know if that's a slippery slope fallacy or, since anti-choicers have tried to pull such moves in the past, something which could be defeated by Section 3 of this IC law or a similar piece of RL legislation.
Rhodmhire wrote:I'm straight out of the most wretched state in the United States. And don't listen to the other residents on here about how nice they think it is, Massachusetts is a horrible place. But anyway, we got out on the same day as you, the 9th. Really early compared to some of the other local schools. Some are getting out around the 20th or even later. We started around the 20-something of August in 2010, I left in June basically knowing that sophomore year was going to suck. Also felt like NS was losing its luster, thought I was losing my luster too. I needed meditation time.
I just completed my freshman year (started September 1st), and I mistook your statement to mean you had upcoming tests, as I know at least one person on here (lives in Philippines) who just started his school year. I just got done cramming like hell to get last-minute late shit done before the zeros just entered became permanent (I go to an online school and zeros can be reversed, but only from the current quarter and there is a shorter cutoff time with some teachers, and some of them enforce lateness penalties; only two of mine did), and had gone awake for 48 hours while getting a total of 3 hours of involuntary naps. I live in Pittsburgh, PA by the way. It's generally nice depending on the neighborhood.
Grenartia wrote:I'm just saying, I'm Pro-life for different reasons than the Republicants on TV. They're Pro life for religious reasons. I'm Pro life because the fetus does have a right to live, and while the woman does have the right to do whatever she wants with her body, the fetus's right to live supercedes her right. Simply marking Pro life doesn't make that distinction.
I wanted to avoid getting into motivations for opinions, only things about what you support. You have the right to your opinion, but you can express your motivations for such in a post. The only option which includes motivation for an opinion is a joke option.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General