NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion Debate- Fetuses, Periods, and Wanking

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Your opinion on abortion?

Pro-Life
21%
Pro-Choice, logically restricted time- and term-wise
35%
Pro-Choice but very restricted as far as reasons for abortion
8%
Unrestricted Pro-Choice, and I'm dead serious about it
31%
Pro-Choice because I think abortion access will make women more sexually available, and for that reason ONLY. Also, I support rape (joke option from the rape thread)
3%
I think you should be able to stab your newborn (JOKE OPTION PLEASE)
2%

Total votes : 150

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Abortion Debate- Fetuses, Periods, and Wanking

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:01 pm

In the hopes of stopping a threadjack here, I have made yet another abortion debate thread. Basically, the debate is about whether fetuses are real people, or whether by that logic if wanking and periods are murder, etc, etc, etc.

Here are the posts:
Drolland wrote:
Libertarian Mesa wrote:
These apples do not look like apples yet.

-Do not look... But still have potential. More potential than an orange seed does to become an apple.
Bitchkitten wrote:
Libertarian Mesa wrote:
It's just a baby who has not left the womb. With this idea, food not cooked is not food.

Well, bread isn't toast yet.
Bitchkitten wrote:So if eggs and sperm can eventually become a baby, that means they're sacred and must be protected. Mastrubation and going through your menstrual cycle without getting pregnant are murder. Just taking your supposition to it's logical end.
Bitchkitten wrote:And what if I object to the whole experience of pregnancy? Or are you one of those people that believe that if you dare have sex you must take a kid as consequence?

ThoughtsTM?
Last edited by Wikipedia and Universe on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

Orlkjestad
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orlkjestad » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:03 pm

You forgot unrestricted pro-choice. The ones you did put for unrestricted pro-choice are joke options.
Last edited by Orlkjestad on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Reformed Republican Union Of Orlkjestad
Comrade-President Leon Palantine
Vice President Arcturo Tarentum
Secretary Of Foreign Affaires Marco Valentia
Storefronts: They're all under construction, please go away
Alliances: Forever alone
Other Threads: The Severan Faith
Alert Levels
DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Terrorism Alert Levels: [Low] Guarded Elevated High Severe

"Although we see the world through different eyes, we share the same idea of paradise." -The Pet Shop Boys in Se A Vida E

Galenaima
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galenaima » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:03 pm

I feel life begins at conception; wanking isn't murder, periods are natural so obviously, not murder. But once the egg and sperm meet, that's a human life.
***My nation does not represent my actual political beliefs***
Oterro wrote:I read it in Latest Forum Topics and was like; ''oho, some chap managed to keep himself seated for 2 years and finally stood up!''
But no. Morbidly obese man dies in chair, covered in shit.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Is Hell North Korea off earth?

Wikkiwallana wrote:I don't like flamish anyone. It distresses me to see people on fire. People who like to get involved with their own gender don't bother me at all though.

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:07 pm

Orlkjestad wrote:You forgot unrestricted pro-choice. The ones you did put for unrestricted pro-choice are joke options.
Added, even though unrestricted technically implies that you support it even up until labor with the result or goal being death of the fetus/baby. C-section is not abortion.

EDIT: Sorry I wiped everyone's votes. :?
Last edited by Wikipedia and Universe on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:11 pm

I find it a bit disturbing women use abortion as their main sources of birth control, but you can't restrict abortion for the life-styles of a few.

Time-wise, I'm pro-choice.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:12 pm

I'm both Pro-Life and Pro-Choice. I am Pro-life in the sense that I would never have an abortion. I am Pro-Choice in the sense that it's my choice to make. Well, me and basic human anatomy. :p
Last edited by Lunatic Goofballs on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Founded: Jul 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:
Orlkjestad wrote:You forgot unrestricted pro-choice. The ones you did put for unrestricted pro-choice are joke options.
Added, even though unrestricted technically implies that you support it even up until labor with the result or goal being death of the fetus/baby. C-section is not abortion.

No, it implies that one supports the legal right to abort at any point during the pregnancy. It does not in any way imply that one supports choosing to do so. I'd think a woman who got a purely elective abortion seven months into her pregnancy was either a lunatic or a monster - but seeing as there is no evidence that any woman has EVER gotten a purely elective abortion seven months into a pregnancy, I think it's counterproductive to erode the right to bodily autonomy to prevent something that doesn't actually ever happen.

(Also, technically speaking, since the word "abortion" refers to ending the pregnancy, it could plausibly be argued that inducing labor early constitutes an "abortion" of sorts - it's a medical procedure that ends a pregnancy, after all.)
Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things. - Reichskommissariat ost
...if you poop just to poop, then it is immoral. - Bandarikin
And if abortion was illegal, there wouldn't be male doctors - Green Port
Stop making a potato punch itself in the scrote after first manifesting a fist and a scrote. - RepentNowOrPayLater
And...you aren't aroused by the premise of a snot-hocking giraffe leaping through a third story bay window after a sex toy? What are you...I mean...are you some kind of weirdo or something? - Hammurab

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:29 pm

The Norwegian Blue wrote:
Wikipedia and Universe wrote:Added, even though unrestricted technically implies that you support it even up until labor with the result or goal being death of the fetus/baby. C-section is not abortion.

No, it implies that one supports the legal right to abort at any point during the pregnancy. It does not in any way imply that one supports choosing to do so. I'd think a woman who got a purely elective abortion seven months into her pregnancy was either a lunatic or a monster - but seeing as there is no evidence that any woman has EVER gotten a purely elective abortion seven months into a pregnancy, I think it's counterproductive to erode the right to bodily autonomy to prevent something that doesn't actually ever happen.

(Also, technically speaking, since the word "abortion" refers to ending the pregnancy, it could plausibly be argued that inducing labor early constitutes an "abortion" of sorts - it's a medical procedure that ends a pregnancy, after all.)
I don't think it's ethical to do so, and I alway question the legality of an act that would make one a "complete monster". Once the point of viability is reached, wait a few until it is even more viable (without threatening the life of the mother if that is the particular case), C-section it, incubate it, and go to a TPR hearing. I also did mean the right to do so. I think that if it extends into a certain period where it could survive, you should be able to technically abort it, but the methods should change and goals change to life preservation.

Also, C-section is not abortion per se. Note I said PER SE, not technically speaking.
Last edited by Wikipedia and Universe on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Ah, I remember these...I must have missed at least a few thousand in my time away.

I swear to God though, I thought that I just saw one of these threads on the front page of General not even a week ago. Strange, yet expected.

I don't need to go on about my basically-pro-choice standpoint again, so I guess I'll just wait for someone to poke my bee's nest to get really involved.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Demen
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Demen » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:Ah, I remember these...I must have missed at least a few thousand in my time away.

I swear to God though, I thought that I just saw one of these threads on the front page of General not even a week ago. Strange, yet expected.

I don't need to go on about my basically-pro-choice standpoint again, so I guess I'll just wait for someone to poke my bee's nest to get really involved.

You better get involved, dammit.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm both Pro-Life and Pro-Choice. I am Pro-life in the sense that I would never have an abortion. I am Pro-Choice in the sense that it's my choice to make. Well, me and basic human anatomy. :p

What if it's a taco you made and it was imperfect? Wouldn't you abort it?!
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:Ah, I remember these...I must have missed at least a few thousand in my time away.

I created this thread with the primary intention of stopping a threadjack in another thread, not because I thought it'd be really nice to have yet another abortion debate.

Also, YO DUDE, when did you come back?

EDIT: Oh, just this month? NS relapse? :p
Last edited by Wikipedia and Universe on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:38 pm

I find it stupid that there are 20,000 different options for Pro-choice, but only one for Pro-life. OP, please change this bias immediately. :evil:

Grenartia wrote:I didn't think so, and I don't see the difference between that and abortion.

It's so nice when the "pro-life" crowd comes right out and says "I have absolutely no idea what pregnancy entails!" It saves the rest of us the bother of taking your arguments seriously.

:palm: WTF are you talking about? Explain.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Grenartia wrote:I find it stupid that there are 20,000 different options for Pro-choice, but only one for Pro-life. OP, please change this bias immediately. :evil:

...Why? It's either you care about life or you don't.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Demen wrote:You better get involved, dammit.

Jeez, you're practically stomping on my bee's nest here. Alright, let's see what I can extract here:

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:In the hopes of stopping a threadjack here, I have made yet another abortion debate thread. Basically, the debate is about whether fetuses are real people, or whether by that logic if wanking and periods are murder, etc, etc, etc.

So, basically, abortion. Lots of roots, lots of paths, kind of like the way to truth. Only a lot bloodier and usually only for women (usually, I don't want to say always and be proven wrong with some obscure incident in the East or something of that nature).

Drolland wrote:-Do not look... But still have potential. More potential than an orange seed does to become an apple.

I've seen this "Libertarian" Mesa guy around very briefly. Interesting little metaphor he has going there, but if we're going to talk about the "human" qualities of a fetus, we must realize that the major difference that most people see between a fetus and a human is that of sapience. Now, that can sometimes be only tentatively stated, as I believe some people might argue that babies might not necessarily be "sapient" in the ways that say educated adults are, but that depends on if you have a slightly different understanding of "sapience," I suppose.

Another thing too is that, in all honesty, even if it is a human, it is dependent upon the mother for everything. Dat placenta, dat umbilical cord, dat source of food is the link between the two, and the mother is the supplier.

When they say a fetus is a parasite, they aren't trying to be dicks, they're seeing the symbiotic relationship. One could definitely argue that, I'm sure some people would say it's parasitic, some would say it's mutualistic, I would personally say it's more commensalistic, but whatever the case, the fetus depends upon the mother, it depends upon her body, even if it is a human I believe that it would have no right to overrule her ability to decide what to do with it.

I don't know if that's a big contribution, but if it will stop Demen from stomping on my bee hive, I'm fine with it.

I need that fucking honey.
Last edited by Rhodmhire on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Grenartia wrote:I find it stupid that there are 20,000 different options for Pro-choice, but only one for Pro-life. OP, please change this bias immediately. :evil:

It's so nice when the "pro-life" crowd comes right out and says "I have absolutely no idea what pregnancy entails!" It saves the rest of us the bother of taking your arguments seriously.

Bias? All I know is that from my experience there are a number of "shades" of pro-choice, while being pro-life is fairly straightforward. Pro-life with exceptions is basically option 3. It's ambiguous so I couldn't decide.

What other options do you want?

Siorafrica
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siorafrica » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Another abortion thread? Pro life,but I wouldn't mind terminating all of these threads in the first term. Wow,I made a joke about abortion,I thought even I couldn't go that far.
NSG Thread Wheel;give it a spin and watch the trainwreck begin. http://cheezburger.com/View/5084656640
A doubleplusgood guide to NSpeak. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16895
Population of NationStates. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138705479531836
Yes by and large NSG for the most part absolutely has nothing but utter unadulterated contempt for religion and those who dare express it openly.-Skibereen
Oi with the arguing in circles over the same tired old topic yet again, and the trolling one another on either side with 'who is a real Christian' and 'why your logic sucks'. How about we put this one to bed again. It's going nowhere. You aren't going to change anyone's minds. Stick a fork in it kids - it's done.-Dread Lady Nathanica

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:I created this thread with the primary intention of stopping a threadjack in another thread, not because I thought it'd be really nice to have yet another abortion debate.

Well, I guess as long as you're saving those orphans from being threadjacked, I can tolerate another abortion thread.

For the orphans, of course.

Also, YO DUDE, when did you come back?

Yo bro. I came back on June 1st, exactly one year after I left to pursue my quest of fame and fortune (and studying for tests).

Siorafrica wrote:Another abortion thread? Pro life,but I wouldn't mind terminating all of these threads in the first term. Wow,I made a joke about abortion,I thought even I couldn't go that far.

There are jokes about jokes about abortion. Don't worry, if you crossed any lines, they weren't really significant anyway.

I have at least one involving a chicken crossing the road, an abortion clinic, and scrambled eggs--but I don't need to prove that there are no lines to be crossed. I think you understand the point.

...But you can still ponder why the chicken cross that road, if you are curious. I'd love to give you the answer, you know, for knowledge's sake.
Last edited by Rhodmhire on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcheria
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcheria » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:44 pm

TAG
I'm BACK after a long absence! New sig to come.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Bias? All I know is that from my experience there are a number of "shades" of pro-choice, while being pro-life is fairly straightforward. Pro-life with exceptions is basically option 3. It's ambiguous so I couldn't decide.

I guess you could have had an option saying anti choice.

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
Wikipedia and Universe wrote:In the hopes of stopping a threadjack here, I have made yet another abortion debate thread. Basically, the debate is about whether fetuses are real people, or whether by that logic if wanking and periods are murder, etc, etc, etc.

So, basically, abortion. Lots of roots, lots of paths, kind of like the way to truth. Only a lot bloodier and usually only for women (usually, I don't want to say always and be proven wrong with some obscure incident in the East or something of that nature).
As I stated before I created this thread for one reason- to stop a threadjack in another thread, not because I like prolonged abortion debates. What people do with this thread is their business henceforth. ;)

EDIT: Ninja, you saw my clarification.
Last edited by Wikipedia and Universe on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:46 pm

The Rich Port wrote:I find it a bit disturbing women use abortion as their main sources of birth control, but you can't restrict abortion for the life-styles of a few.

Time-wise, I'm pro-choice.

Source on women doing this?
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm just saying, I'm Pro-life for different reasons than the Republicants on TV. They're Pro life for religious reasons. I'm Pro life because the fetus does have a right to live, and while the woman does have the right to do whatever she wants with her body, the fetus's right to live supercedes her right. Simply marking Pro life doesn't make that distinction.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:
Wikipedia and Universe wrote:Also, YO DUDE, when did you come back?
Yo bro. I came back on June 1st, exactly one year after I left to pursue my quest of fame and fortune (and studying for tests).
In what country do you live? My school year ended yesterday.

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Founded: Jul 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:49 pm

I don't think it's ethical to do so, and I alway question the legality of an act that would make one a "complete monster". Once the point of viability is reached, wait a few until it is even more viable (without threatening the life of the mother if that is the particular case), C-section it, incubate it, and go to a TPR hearing. I also did mean the right to do so. I think that if it extends into a certain period where it could survive, you should be able to technically abort it, but the methods should change and goals change to life preservation.

Also, C-section is not abortion per se. Note I said PER SE, not technically speaking.

Well, look at it as a simple matter of cost-benefit analysis.

If the government's position is "how you deal with your pregnancy is none of our business," then what happens is:

- No women get elective late-term abortions.
- There is no legal precedent for the government interfering in pregnancies which anti-choicers can use to argue in favor of further restrictions on abortion.

If the government's position is "how you deal with your pregnancy IS our business, but only up to a point" then what happens is:

- No women get elective late term abortions.
- There is now a legal precedent which anti-choicers can use to justify why the government should be entitled to move the deadline back from six months to five or four or three, or why you should have to get a mandatory sonogram, or why you should be forced to endure waiting periods, or why you should be required to listen to a speech about what a dirty whore you are, and so on and so forth.

I don't support elective late-term abortions - but they're a boogieman. They don't happen, legal or illegal. No one carries an unwanted pregnancy for seven or eight months just for shits and giggles only to abort it a few weeks before they would otherwise give birth, and no doctor agrees to perform such a procedure. They've been legal in Canada for years now, and the total number of cases of them actually occurring, despite being perfectly legal, is...zero. I don't see a good reason to put conditions on the right to bodily autonomy simply to prevent something that doesn't happen. (This is also why you won't see me out protesting viability limits - from a purely ethical standpoint, I don't think there should be any law against elective abortion at any stage, but I'm not overly worried about the infringement of rights that no one actually wants to exercise except insofar as allowing that the government has any claim on women's uteruses sets a bad precedent.)
Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things. - Reichskommissariat ost
...if you poop just to poop, then it is immoral. - Bandarikin
And if abortion was illegal, there wouldn't be male doctors - Green Port
Stop making a potato punch itself in the scrote after first manifesting a fist and a scrote. - RepentNowOrPayLater
And...you aren't aroused by the premise of a snot-hocking giraffe leaping through a third story bay window after a sex toy? What are you...I mean...are you some kind of weirdo or something? - Hammurab

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General