NATION

PASSWORD

How many of you are Atheists? What about Theists?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Are you Atheist? or Theist?

Atheist
49%
Agnostic
16%
Theist- Christian
25%
Theist- Muslim
1%
Theist- Buddhist
1%
Theist- Wicca
1%
Theist- Hindu
1%
Theist- Other, please post what specifically thank you.
7%

Total votes : 557

Underium
Senator

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

How many of you are Atheists? What about Theists?

Postby Underium » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:12 pm

A simple question, how many of you are Atheists. What about Theists?
Just say if you are Atheist, and why? Also if your Theist please say so and why, also if you would not mind listing your religion it would be great.

I opened this thread out of plain curiosity, personally I am a Theist, who worships the Greek goddess Hecate.

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm theist and different Gods/Goddess appeal to me at different times. For Magick I use straight energy work, or the Egyptian pantheon.
The Proclaimed Psycho on NSG
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

I'm politically syncretic so stop asking. :)
My political and social missions

Maraque
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 22, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maraque » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 pm

Atheist.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm an atheist who hates all superstition with a passion. I sometimes self-identify as an anti-theist to keep atheists unsoiled by my conduct. Also, I'm not sure Buddhism counts as theism.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Underium
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Underium » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 pm

UCUMAY wrote:I'm theist and different Gods/Goddess appeal to me at different times. For Magick I use straight energy work, or the Egyptian pantheon.

Ah a Wiccan eh? I am studying Wicca and currently i do classify myself as such.

Underium
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Underium » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:I'm an atheist who hates all superstition with a passion. I sometimes self-identify as an anti-theist to keep atheists unsoiled by my conduct. Also, I'm not sure Buddhism counts as theism.

I define theism as believing in some kind of higher power.

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Underium wrote:
UCUMAY wrote:I'm theist and different Gods/Goddess appeal to me at different times. For Magick I use straight energy work, or the Egyptian pantheon.

Ah a Wiccan eh? I am studying Wicca and currently i do classify myself as such.

Yes... But my beliefs differ than the typical. I've learned you have to be comfortable with your own beliefs whatever they are.
The Proclaimed Psycho on NSG
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

I'm politically syncretic so stop asking. :)
My political and social missions

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Underium wrote:A simple question, how many of you are Atheists. What about Theists?
Just say if you are Atheist, and why? Also if your Theist please say so and why, also if you would not mind listing your religion it would be great.

I opened this thread out of plain curiosity, personally I am a Theist, who worships the Greek goddess Hecate.

Atheist, because Christianity did not satisfy me nor will they ever refund the money I used to buy this useless "Salvation". It doesn't even work! Horrible businessmen.

Underium wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:I'm an atheist who hates all superstition with a passion. I sometimes self-identify as an anti-theist to keep atheists unsoiled by my conduct. Also, I'm not sure Buddhism counts as theism.

I define theism as believing in some kind of higher power.

That's not really Buddhism imo or at least not all of its branches anyways.
Last edited by Norstal on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Atheist of course.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm a Roman Catholic. Wouldn't Buddhism be better described as Deism or Spiritualism than either Theism or Atheism?
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Technically this is a new, innovative thread idea for me. So, I'll humor it.

This forum actually deconverted me, that and a combination of outside reading and video-watching. I attend a Christian school and I am daily influenced by Christian theology, principles, and so forth. I have a very strong liking for the Christian community, but I remain a sort of unknown "agnostic-atheist," one who does not believe one can know anything for sure about the spiritual, yet does not find it worthwhile to believe in the spiritual. It's kind of like how someone can say that it's "impossible" to disprove unicorns or fairies because they're just so damn hard to catch. You might agree, but you still won't believe in them. If anything, it's not worth your time.

The burden of proof lies with the theists who make the positive claim that there is/are a god, gods, and so forth. Atheists should never try to prove the negative that there is/are no god, gods. I think that atheists who try are wasting their time.

I guess you could also say I'm sort of "Atheist 3.0," in a way. I am really not on that whole "religion is evil and kills more people than x thing" stuff. Again, I have a particular liking to the Christian community, specifically because they're very modernized, amiable, and more understanding at times. New Testament theology is founded heavily on ideals of love, compassion, and forgiveness. People tend to associate Christianity with the Old Testament too often. I know, same God, doesn't change because his son became a zombie, but still.

So, that's kind of it in a nutshell. Not the same as it was a year ago, not the same as it was two years ago. Things change.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Utopia FTW
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Utopia FTW » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:33 pm

none of the above
Squeeze me tightly and I'll fart politely

Neu Leonstein
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Leonstein » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:37 pm

I tend to call myself "non-spiritual", because I haven't really come across a situation in which I felt that the answer to spiritual question was important in any way. If a god exists, he clearly is bent on non-interference, which is basically the same as non-existence.

But, since I don't assume things exist without a reason, I assume no god exists until given reason to do otherwise, and hence I'd call myself an atheist rather than agnostic.
“Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow.”
~ Thomas Paine

Economic Left/Right: 2.25 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33
Time zone: GMT+10 (Melbourne), working full time.

Braaainsss
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Braaainsss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Utopia FTW wrote:none of the above

At least etymologically, an atheist is someone who is not a theist. So you can't be "none of the above" without violating the law of the excluded middle.

Outer Chaosmosis
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Outer Chaosmosis » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Depending on what you mean by theism, Buddhism could broadly fit the category. Certainly there are frequent mentions of gods (and other supernatural beings) in Buddhist scriptures, albeit not as objects of worship.

Outer Chaosmosis
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Outer Chaosmosis » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Braaainsss wrote:At least etymologically, an atheist is someone who is not a theist. So you can't be "none of the above" without violating the law of the excluded middle.

Presumably, you could reject the distinction (depending on what we take atheism to mean).

Seperate Vermont
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperate Vermont » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Am I really the only agnostic? :(
No, we are not obsessed with Maple Syrup. Speaking of that, Would you like some 100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup? We have a surplus this year.
http://www.mechiwiki.com/nationstates/index.php?nation=Seperate_Vermont
GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Braaainsss
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Braaainsss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Seperate Vermont wrote:Am I really the only agnostic? :(

Bertrand Russell wrote:I never know whether I should say "Agnostic" or whether I should say "Atheist". It is a very difficult question and I daresay that some of you have been troubled by it. As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one prove that there is not a God.

On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.

None of us would seriously consider the possibility that all the gods of homer really exist, and yet if you were to set to work to give a logical demonstration that Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, and the rest of them did not exist you would find it an awful job. You could not get such proof.

Therefore, in regard to the Olympic gods, speaking to a purely philosophical audience, I would say that I am an Agnostic. But speaking popularly, I think that all of us would say in regard to those gods that we were Atheists. In regard to the Christian God, I should, I think, take exactly the same line.

^This is my position.
Last edited by Braaainsss on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rumbria
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Rumbria » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:55 pm

Seperate Vermont wrote:Am I really the only agnostic? :(

'I never know whether I should say "Agnostic" or whether I should say "Atheist". It is a very difficult question and I daresay that some of you have been troubled by it. As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one prove that there is not a God. On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.' -Russell

I picked agnostic so that you're not lonely :)

Also Ei qui affirmat, but nevermind
So goddamned leet: Rumbria is ranked 6th in the region and 1,337th in the world for Most Godforsaken.
Incomplete National Factbook

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 pm

i am an atheist because i dont believe in god(s).
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:58 pm

Angleter wrote:I'm a Roman Catholic. Wouldn't Buddhism be better described as Deism or Spiritualism than either Theism or Atheism?

most buddhist worship specific gods so ....no?
whatever

Braaainsss
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Braaainsss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:05 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Angleter wrote:I'm a Roman Catholic. Wouldn't Buddhism be better described as Deism or Spiritualism than either Theism or Atheism?

most buddhist worship specific gods so ....no?

Worship of theistic gods per se is not really part of most schools of Buddhism. Though I've heard that in Japan, many people worship Shinto gods and also consider themselves Buddhist.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:07 pm

The burden of proof lies with atheism (which is like a religion in it's dogma) because more people are theists than not. Can something just come from nothing?
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Braaainsss wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:most buddhist worship specific gods so ....no?

Worship of theistic gods per se is not really part of most schools of Buddhism. Though I've heard that in Japan, many people worship Shinto gods and also consider themselves Buddhist.

buddhism doesnt have gods but buddhists do.

why else have temples?
whatever

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:10 pm

I'm a Hindu agnostic.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General