NATION

PASSWORD

Non-consensual fantasizing is tantamount to rape

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Can fantasizing be rape?

Yes
3%
No
69%
Yes and No
3%
Other
1%
Derp
23%

Total votes : 263

Papayastan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Papayastan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:31 pm

The Chaos Heart wrote:
Papayastan wrote:
What about the object of your fantasies? It seems highly selfish not consider them. They could be adversely affected as well. Perhaps they are religiously conservative and learning about this would emotionally harm them. That doesn't absolve the masturbator from a moral obligation to seek consent though. If there is no consent, it is rape.

Once again, irrelevant. You seem to equate that the imaginary thing you are masturbating to and the real life counterpart are the same person; they are not.

Just as an artist has a right to consent (or not) whether his works can be distributed, so too does the "inspiration" for your sexual gratification have the right to consent (or not) to your use of their likeness for your purposes.

If you choose to do so without their consent, that is copyright infringement and rape, respectively.
Last edited by Papayastan on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:31 pm

That is correct. And fantasizing about killing someone is tantamount to murder.
Taking a break.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:31 pm

Papayastan wrote:Sexual fantasies are tantamount to rape if you don't have the consent of the object of your fantasy to do so. DIscuss.
:?

This is utterly and shockingly baffling and ludicrous beyond comprehension.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Papayastan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Papayastan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:33 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:That is correct. And fantasizing about killing someone is tantamount to murder.

It certainly can be the difference between manslaughter and first/second degree murder.

The Chaos Heart
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Chaos Heart » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Papayastan wrote:
The Chaos Heart wrote:
Once again, irrelevant. You seem to equate that the imaginary thing you are masturbating to and the real life counterpart are the same person; they are not.

Just as an artist has a right to consent (or not) whether his works can be distributed, so too does the "inspiration" for your sexual gratification have the right to consent (or not) to your use of their likeness for your purposes.

If you choose to do so without their consent, that is copyright infringement and rape, respectively.

Different. The artists created the work. I created the fantasy. In a sense, I am the artist. Further more, art is tangible. Thoughts are not. I can think about anything I please. Such is the law.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:36 pm

Papayastan wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:That is correct. And fantasizing about killing someone is tantamount to murder.

It certainly can be the difference between manslaughter and first/second degree murder.

You misunderstood me; wether you act on the intention is irrelavant.

Simply fantasizing about killing someone IS tantamount to murder; it would be utterly and thoroughly absurd to argue otherwise.
Taking a break.

Papayastan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Papayastan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 pm

The Chaos Heart wrote:
Papayastan wrote:

Different. The artists created the work. I created the fantasy. In a sense, I am the artist. Further more, art is tangible. Thoughts are not. I can think about anything I please. Such is the law.

Using a likeness without consent, even in art, is a violation of a person's self-ownership.

Waideland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Waideland » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 pm

I'm going to sue Welch's and the Japanese, because everytime I see skyscrapers or grapes, I think about rape. They're implanting these thought crimes in my head with subliminal messages.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Definately. Thus, people such as Jessica Simpson and Merilyn Monroe have been raped millions of times if not more. Honestly if you do find out that someone is having sexual fantasies about you you should be flattered. Disturbed and creeped out, but flattered.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Robert Magoo
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Magoo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Morally it's the same. Legally it's not, and shouldn't be.
Economic Left/Right: 3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Moral Compass- Rationalist (Q1): 8,9.9

Build up your wealth and give it away, but don't let the state take it. Help those in need and love your neighbor as yourself.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Ahhh a thought crime debate.

No thank you. My thoughts are my own unless I want to share.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Papayastan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Papayastan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:41 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:Ahhh a thought crime debate.

No thank you. My thoughts are my own unless I want to share.

But you would deny that same self-ownership to another person because they were the object of your sexual desire?
Last edited by Papayastan on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Chaos Heart
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Chaos Heart » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Papayastan wrote:
The Chaos Heart wrote:

Using a likeness without consent, even in art, is a violation of a person's self-ownership.

Please read the second half of my post. The part where I point out that thought are protected by the law.

Once again, I have the legal right to think about anything I please. I have the legal right to fantasize about anything. Thoughts are not, and cannot be regulated.

Greater Tezdrian
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Tezdrian » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:41 pm

"Non-consensual fantasizing is tantamount to rape"
^^Utter Bullshit^^
Puppetmaster for Hashemite Arabiyah

Georgism
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Greater Tezdrian wrote:"Non-consensual fantasizing is tantamount to rape"
^^Utter Bullshit^^

Well, you've convinced me.
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

Greater Tezdrian
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Tezdrian » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Georgism wrote:
Greater Tezdrian wrote:"Non-consensual fantasizing is tantamount to rape"
^^Utter Bullshit^^

Well, you've convinced me.

I wasn't trying to.
Puppetmaster for Hashemite Arabiyah

Papayastan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Papayastan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:43 pm

The Chaos Heart wrote:
Papayastan wrote:

Please read the second half of my post. The part where I point out that thought are protected by the law.

Once again, I have the legal right to think about anything I please. I have the legal right to fantasize about anything. Thoughts are not, and cannot be regulated.

Thoughts are regulated, and ought to be more regulated.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ate_speech

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... of_dissent
Last edited by Papayastan on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elsass-Scotia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Elsass-Scotia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Well, if so, then I'm a serial rapist! :shock: I'd better lock myself up! I've raped thye same girl in my Bio class every day for TWO YEARS!!!! I'M A MONSTER! :eek: :shock: :o I'm scared...

The Chaos Heart
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Chaos Heart » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Papayastan wrote:
The Chaos Heart wrote:

Thoughts are regulated, and ought to be more regulated.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ate_speech

Hate speech is not a thought. Hate speech is an action. I have every right to think about how much I hate the filthy mud niggers.

EDIT: Likewise with censoring. It's an action. Censoring other actions. No one can tell me how I can and cannot think. To do so is a violation of civil rights and right to privacy and property.
Last edited by The Chaos Heart on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:45 pm

It is neither a sign of mental health nor is it rape.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Papayastan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Papayastan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:It is neither a sign of mental health nor is it rape.

It is, in fact, rape.

See? I can do that too.

Papayastan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Papayastan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Here is an informative link on the topic.

http://christwire.org/2011/03/is-masturbation-rape/

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Papayastan wrote:

It is, in fact, rape.

See? I can do that too.

Do you understand the act of rape? Hint: It's not about sex.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Papayastan wrote:

It is, in fact, rape.

See? I can do that too.

Prove it.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Papayastan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Papayastan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:50 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Papayastan wrote:
It is, in fact, rape.

See? I can do that too.

Do you understand the act of rape? Hint: It's not about sex.

Do you understand the concept of consent? Any type of fantasizing or sex is rape without it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General