NATION

PASSWORD

The Tax Code

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Valrez
Envoy

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Tax Code

Postby Valrez » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:24 pm

With talks about taxes it make me bring up the question: "Is our tax code a good one?"

Personally I wish we could have a simple flat tax at around 8-14%

But what do you believe should be the future of our tax system?
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" ~Cave Johnson (Portal 2)

My factbook
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=132253

Aeronos
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeronos » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:27 pm

Well, making the tax code simple enough that people can do their own taxes rather than having to pay people to do them for them would be a good start to any sort of reform...
My Political Compass
Economic: Left/Right (2.18)
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian (-9.71)

Note: I am female, so please get the pronoun right!

Nansurium
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nansurium » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Our tax code sucks...

We should have a FairTax.
Political Party: Republican (moderate) Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -0.25 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

"And the Tea Party Hobbits can return to Middle-Earth having defeated Mordor" -John McCain

Global and Comparative Studies Major at Birmingham-Southern College

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:29 pm

Taxation is an irrelevant issue in a planned economy, so I'm ambivalent.

In the near term, abolish all sales taxes, and payroll taxes. Replace property taxes with a combination of a Georgist land-value tax and a mild, progressive (.5% to 1% at the very most) capital tax, and make up the bulk of tax receipts from progressive corporate and individual income taxes, with heavy tax incentives given to worker or otherwise publicly owned collectives.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Nansurium
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nansurium » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Your economy would be a train wreck!
Political Party: Republican (moderate) Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -0.25 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

"And the Tea Party Hobbits can return to Middle-Earth having defeated Mordor" -John McCain

AlexJacobii
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AlexJacobii » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Valrez wrote:With talks about taxes it make me bring up the question: "Is our tax code a good one?"

A flat tax would favour the rich a bit, unless you are thinking of a sliding scale in which the percentage increases at certain ranges of income. The future of our system should be a sliding scale type tax, for those that are students or making under 10k then they pay 5%. Part-time (11-24k) work would be 7%. Full time (25-50k) would be 9%. Then there would be additional rates for those above 50k a year of course. Churches and non-profits would be exempt however preachers and such would be required to pay taxes.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:44 pm

AlexJacobii wrote:
Valrez wrote:With talks about taxes it make me bring up the question: "Is our tax code a good one?"

A flat tax would favour the rich a bit, unless you are thinking of a sliding scale in which the percentage increases at certain ranges of income. The future of our system should be a sliding scale type tax, for those that are students or making under 10k then they pay 5%. Part-time (11-24k) work would be 7%. Full time (25-50k) would be 9%. Then there would be additional rates for those above 50k a year of course. Churches and non-profits would be exempt however preachers and such would be required to pay taxes.

You've just described the progressive income tax system we more or less have in the US now, just with different rates.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Taxation is an irrelevant issue in a planned economy, so I'm ambivalent.

In the near term, abolish all sales taxes, and payroll taxes. Replace property taxes with a combination of a Georgist land-value tax and a mild, progressive (.5% to 1% at the very most) capital tax, and make up the bulk of tax receipts from progressive corporate and individual income taxes, with heavy tax incentives given to worker or otherwise publicly owned collectives.

How does one determine the value of land?
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs
“If a tyrant is one man and his subjects are many, why do they consent to their own enslavement?”- Étienne De La Boétie
“It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful.” - Anton Szandor LaVey
"Liberty is the mother, not the daughter, of order." Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment."-Max Stirner
" A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lynsander Spooner
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
"Morality is a device for controlling the gullible with words." - L A Rollins

Nansurium
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nansurium » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:46 pm

On the left side is the IRS tax code as of 2007. On the right side is the Fair Tax act of the same year.

AlexJacobii
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AlexJacobii » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
AlexJacobii wrote:

You've just described the progressive income tax system we more or less have in the US now, just with different rates.

Yes, however there would be no breaks. Just a standard flat rate. No deductions, no breaks. Easy to do your own taxes as long as you have a W-2 or such and a calculator.

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Not really that sure to be honest.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Nansurium wrote:(Image)

On the left side is the IRS tax code as of 2007. On the right side is the Fair Tax act of the same year.

The guy on the right is taller.

So what? Laws are complicated. The worth of a law or a set of laws is not measured by weight or height. If we removed a lot of the corporate and individual tax loopholes, we could increase revenue and simplify the code.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

The guy on the right is taller.

So what? Laws are complicated. The worth of a law or a set of laws is not measured by weight or height. If we removed a lot of the corporate and individual tax loopholes, we could increase revenue and simplify the code.

The federal income tax code is time-consuming, confusing and baffling for many Americans. The code itself now consists of 3.4 million words and if printed would fill 7,500 pages and regulations together were 66,498 pages long in 2006. The taxpayer’s 1040 instructions are 161 pages long. Americans spent 6.4 Billion hours filing their taxes in 2006.

America’s “Tax Army” employs more people (1.2 million) than we have armed forces stationed in the United States (0.9 million). Collecting taxes is a completely non-value added task, adding nothing to our economy. Some of our brightest minds – lawyers, accountants, and computer experts – pound away at keyboards trying to figure out either how to plunder more money from others or find loops in the tax code to “save costs” for their clients. The total cost of collecting taxes is estimated at $63 billion, ironically just $4 Billion short of funding general government and law enforcement! The IRS employs 91,000 and will spend $11.6 Billion in 2009 collecting taxes.

It's wasteful and stupid.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Taxation is an irrelevant issue in a planned economy, so I'm ambivalent.

How does one determine the value of land?

Sales and comps.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Shorter does not equal better. Got any actual reasons?
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Aeronos wrote:Well, making the tax code simple enough that people can do their own taxes rather than having to pay people to do them for them would be a good start to any sort of reform...

This.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:

Shorter does not equal better. Got any actual reasons?

Yes, actually it does. The tax lawyers working for the IRS and the tax accountants working for the private sector are wasted labor and their pay is wasted capital.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Valrez
Envoy

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrez » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:04 pm

AlexJacobii wrote:

A flat tax would favour the rich a bit.

I chose the flat tax because its simple and fair, it doesn't discriminate if you make too much or make to little, its very equal and thats why i like it. :D
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" ~Cave Johnson (Portal 2)

My factbook
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=132253

Siorafrica
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siorafrica » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:55 pm

It's not equal. Incomes are hugely different yet people have to pay the same.
NSG Thread Wheel;give it a spin and watch the trainwreck begin. http://cheezburger.com/View/5084656640
A doubleplusgood guide to NSpeak. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16895
Population of NationStates. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138705479531836
Yes by and large NSG for the most part absolutely has nothing but utter unadulterated contempt for religion and those who dare express it openly.-Skibereen
Oi with the arguing in circles over the same tired old topic yet again, and the trolling one another on either side with 'who is a real Christian' and 'why your logic sucks'. How about we put this one to bed again. It's going nowhere. You aren't going to change anyone's minds. Stick a fork in it kids - it's done.-Dread Lady Nathanica

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Siorafrica wrote:It's not equal. Incomes are hugely different yet people have to pay the same.

Umm no...
We have a progressive tax. Different incomes pay a different amount of taxes.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs
“If a tyrant is one man and his subjects are many, why do they consent to their own enslavement?”- Étienne De La Boétie
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment."-Max Stirner
" A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lynsander Spooner

Georgism
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
Siorafrica wrote:It's not equal. Incomes are hugely different yet people have to pay the same.

Umm no...

I assume they were responding to a comment about flat taxes. Such as the one directly above their post.
Last edited by Georgism on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Georgism wrote:
Terra Agora wrote:Umm no...

I assume they were responding to a comment about flat taxes. Such as the one directly above their post.

I guess they were.
Though there is a quote button for a reason.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs

Georgism
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
Georgism wrote:I assume they were responding to a comment about flat taxes. Such as the one directly above their post.

I guess they were.
Though there is a quote button for a reason.

Indeed.
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:08 pm

So make it marginal. And effectively two brackets, 0% for one and X% for the other. BAM! Progressive taxation!
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:21 pm

I suppose it could do with giving Barclays et al a kick square in the cunt, perhaps moving some of my tax onto consumption seeing as how that would be a better net for catching revenue. On the business side maybe looking at cutting import duties as they take the piss especially when your paying upwards of a grand to import from France.

Being English is pretty easy yo, unlike America we don't have to fiddle with any deductions because the government just takes everything 8)

Nansurium wrote:Your economy would be a train wreck!

your economy would represent a shitty sub-Saharan state but "fair taxers" tend to get pissy when I point that out
Last edited by Call to power on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General