NATION

PASSWORD

California Senator to sue Governator over line-item vetoes

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

California Senator to sue Governator over line-item vetoes

Postby Neu California » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:42 pm

THe vetoes had to do with budget cuts

LA Times wrote:]State Senate leader says he'll sue Schwarzenegger over budget cuts
2:04 PM | August 7, 2009
State Senate leader Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento) said today that he will file a lawsuit against Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to challenge his use of line-item vetoes last month to make nearly $500 million in spending cuts to the state budget.

Steinberg said he will file the lawsuit as an individual in San Francisco County Superior Court early next week and will tap political funds to pay for the legal challenge.

“We elected a governor, not an emperor,” Steinberg said at a Capitol news conference. “In making these line-item vetoes the governor forced punishing cuts on children, the disabled and patients that he couldn’t win fairly at the bargaining table. And in doing so, he overstepped his constitutional authority.”

The announcement was made just two days after the Legislature’s legal counsel issued an opinion arguing that Schwarzenegger exceeded his constitutional powers by imposing the cuts to health, welfare and other programs.

Democratic leaders contended that the cuts should have been off-limits to the governor's blue pencil because they had been funded under a February budget agreement. That budget fell out of balance as state revenue plummeted.

The Legislature sent the governor a budget fix July 24 that left the state in deficit, without a reserve, forcing the governor to find more cuts, said Aaron McLear, a spokesman for the governor.

"The governor’s constitutional authority to veto appropriations is unquestioned and will be upheld by the courts," McLear said.

"While Democrats are focused on a protracted legal battle to dig the state back into deficit, the governor will continue to focus on moving our state forward and getting Californians back to work.”

Steinberg said he is open to having the governor propose an alternative to the budget cuts to avoid a legal showdown. The Senate leader added that he welcomes other Democratic lawmakers to join the case.

"I am supportive of this action," said Sen. Gloria Romero (D-Los Angeles). "This is a constitutional question. People are talking about holding a constitutional convention, but what’s the use of having a constitutional convention if people are not going to follow the constitution?"

The lawsuit over $500 million in cuts follows the decision by Democrats to cut billions more from health, welfare and education programs backed by their key constituencies.

Republican political consultant Allan Hoffenblum said the lawsuit is not unexpected because "they need to appease the powerful base of the Democratic Party, to show that they have done everything they can."

Steinberg is not the first elected Democrat to battle with Schwarzenegger in court this year. State Controller John Chiang and other statewide officials argued unsuccessfully in Superior Court in March that the governor did not have power to furlough their employees.

The lawsuit also has political implications, said consultant Harvey Englander, who has worked on many California campaigns.

"I think it’s important for Steinberg politically to show strong leadership because some people have questioned how strong he was," Englander said.

-- Patrick McGreevy, in Sacramento

Ignoring the constitutionality of line-item vetoes in California, which I'm not sure about ( but then again the constitution here is so big and convoluted it's no wonder someone once said that it's "the perfect example of what a constitution ought not to be") do you think that Shwarzy was justified in making these massive cuts, or that he overstepped his authority? I Know I'm of the latter opinion
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Re: California Senator to sue Governator over line-item vetoes

Postby Katganistan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:47 pm

It sucks, but: how are they going to pay for it all if he DOESN'T make any cuts? They're already furloughing people and giving teachers IOUs (when not firing them).

Ernst_Rohm
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Ernst_Rohm » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:48 pm

i'm not sure how you could tell if he overstepped his authority without being a scholar in the field of california constitutional law. you might have an opinion as to whether you are in favor of his cuts, but i don't see how the layman could come to a conclusion on whether he had the authority since his office says he does and the legislature seems to think he doesn't.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Katganistan wrote:It sucks, but: how are they going to pay for it all if he DOESN'T make any cuts? They're already furloughing people and giving teachers IOUs (when not firing them).

My solution involves repealing prop 13, which sets property taxes at 1% and allows for an increase of 2% yearly (below inflation)
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
He/him
Aspie and proud

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

The South Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:51 pm

This is entirely a constitutional issue.

That being said, I laugh at California for getting themselves into this mess.
IL Ruffino: The wind flows / The hair on TSI's ass glides as if airborn / Smell the freshly cut grass
Gravlen: If I can blame you? Of course I can! I mean, you're like a walking cathalyst for homosexuality, driving otherwise straight men to write haikus about your ass hair...

So it's a wonder that your presence alone in any thread don't derail them and lead to debates about world leaders and homoerotic desires.

Sarkhaan: You. Put your pants back on.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:11 pm

The South Islands wrote:This is entirely a constitutional issue.

Just wait 'til we legalize pot, THEN we'll see who laughs!

;)

Georgetpwn
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 18, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgetpwn » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:

;)

good luck taxing that shit.
NO ONE will pay the pot tax!
The Republic of Hobbes City (exiled), exists within Georgetpwn
DEFCON 5 4 3 2 1
Defense Minister of Novus Licentia Terra
The Republic of Hobbes City, composed of:
The Hobbes City Holding State of Georgetpwn
The People's Republic of M1 Helmet
The Protectorate of The Republic of Lanos
The Colony of Suvree
The Pacific Territory of Ferdinando Marcos

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Georgetpwn wrote:

;)

How the hell are you supposed to fill out tax paperwork whilst stoned out of your mind?
IL Ruffino: The wind flows / The hair on TSI's ass glides as if airborn / Smell the freshly cut grass
Gravlen: If I can blame you? Of course I can! I mean, you're like a walking cathalyst for homosexuality, driving otherwise straight men to write haikus about your ass hair...

So it's a wonder that your presence alone in any thread don't derail them and lead to debates about world leaders and homoerotic desires.

Ernst_Rohm
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Ernst_Rohm » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:25 pm

The South Islands wrote:
Georgetpwn wrote:

How the hell are you supposed to fill out tax paperwork whilst stoned out of your mind?

of course some people might get paranoid and forgetful and pay their tax twice.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:25 pm

The South Islands wrote:
Georgetpwn wrote:

;)

Make it illegal to be stoned on the job?
He/him
Aspie and proud

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Neu California wrote:
The South Islands wrote:
Georgetpwn wrote:

If you can't get high while driving/flying/operating heavy machinery, it might as well be Fascism!

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:30 pm

The South Islands wrote:
Neu California wrote:
The South Islands wrote:

If you can't get high while driving/flying/operating heavy machinery, it might as well be Fascism!

:rofl: :clap: There are no words to describe how funny that was
He/him
Aspie and proud

Ernst_Rohm
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Ernst_Rohm » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:38 pm

The South Islands wrote:
Neu California wrote:Make it illegal to be stoned on the job?

as a proud pizza delivery driver i just want to say throughout the industry 60 percent of us are stoned while driving at work and we get into few accidents per hour working than the 15 percent who are drunk, the 8 percent who are junkies (both high and jonesing), the 5 percent who are on meth or coke, the 4 percent who are tripping, the 6 percent who are on multiple drugs, the 2 percent who are on misc substances or the statistically significant number of people who are completely sober.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Georgetpwn wrote:

;)

And yet we're willing to pay an extra 1% sales tax, an extra $1 and some odd cents more for cigarettes, etc., etc...

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:12 am

Steinberg said he will file the lawsuit as an individual in San Francisco County Superior Court early next week and will tap political funds to pay for the legal challenge.

Does anybody else see a bit of a peculiar contradiction there?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Hawkryl
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hawkryl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:06 am

Neu California wrote:Snip

snip

?? is that even legal?
710000 in the Wolves.
355000 in the Sharks.
213000 in the Raptors.
142000 in the Wolverines.
142000000 in the Armed Forces.

pop: 142,000,000
Economic strength: Very Strong
GDP: S$15,361.95
Tax rate: 45%

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:19 am

Hawkryl wrote:

snip

?? is that even legal?

I would imagine not.
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

Frasas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Frasas » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:23 am

What else do you expect? Hardcore American liberals (from Cali) are never, ever allowed to cut spending. Especially when it is welfare for the poor, who make up almost 100% of their voting base.
Cardinal Caput capitis of Recruiting of the NS Universal Christian Church: Frasas

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:26 am

Hawkryl wrote:

snip

?? is that even legal?

dunno... But I do find that fishy...

think he's gonna run for Govenor soon?
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:29 am

I was very sad when the line item veto was ruled unconstitutional for the federal government.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:41 am

Katganistan wrote:It sucks, but: how are they going to pay for it all if he DOESN'T make any cuts? They're already furloughing people and giving teachers IOUs (when not firing them).

But is it appropriate to have ONE man be able to eliminate _everything_ from the budget if he feels like it? That _is_ the logical extension: If he can unilaterally eliminate an unlimited number of items, he could (would be able to) line item veto EVERYTHING.

The budget was designed to be a compromise package that the legislators work out. Having the governor, on his own initiative, line out items means he would be in a position to take the budget, line out every item his political opponents had gotten in there through compromise, leaving only his party's version of the ideal budget. That reduces the state government to a one-party system.

When it comes to the governor's veto, it REALLY should be an all or nothing proposition. It's not up to the governor to decide entirely on his own what gets funded and what doesn't.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, your life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:43 am

Georgetpwn wrote:good luck taxing that shit.

No one _only_ if you grow your own. If they legalized it and sold it the same as cigarettes, they would _already_ be taxed by the time the pack ends up in the customer's hand.

"Choose wisely."

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:44 am

Marcuslandia wrote:

But is it appropriate to have ONE man be able to eliminate _everything_ from the budget if he feels like it? That _is_ the logical extension: If he can unilaterally eliminate an unlimited number of items, he could (would be able to) line item veto EVERYTHING.

The budget was designed to be a compromise package that the legislators work out. Having the governor, on his own initiative, line out items means he would be in a position to take the budget, line out every item his political opponents had gotten in there through compromise, leaving only his party's version of the ideal budget. That reduces the state government to a one-party system.

When it comes to the governor's veto, it REALLY should be an all or nothing proposition. It's not up to the governor to decide entirely on his own what gets funded and what doesn't.

you know vetos can be overridden.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:46 am

Neu California wrote:Make it illegal to be stoned on the job?

EXACTLY the same regulation and enforcement as alcohol.

"Choose wisely."

Taffy 3
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Taffy 3 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:49 am

A line item veto is probably the best amendment that can be added to the US Constitution. The Republicans gave Clinton won after 1994 and they had a balanced budget. Then the USSC said no and well I think we know what happened to our budget after that.
Fanshaw Bay Shipwrights

"Let us not go down before we fire our damn torpedoes," - LT Bob Hagen, USS Johnston prior to her suicide run during the Battle off of Samar

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General